PDA

View Full Version : SVG to Sactown

Brian
06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
It was on espnews...Wow that was unexpected...least for me it was.

EDIT: Didnt see the other post about this...can move this

Smashed_Potato
06-06-2007, 08:21 PM
The Magic are so cursed.. Billy Donovan and now SVG maybe they should just let Hill comeback.

avoidingtheclowns
06-06-2007, 08:34 PM
brian shaw might get a coaching job afterall

CableKC
06-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Man....I guess SacTown is not so culturally different the Miami.

SVGs family will love the 100+ degree and dry weather out in the Sacramento Valley during the summer.

Smashed_Potato
06-06-2007, 09:22 PM
And the cows.

Kegboy
06-06-2007, 10:10 PM
This reinforces for me that the problem here wasn't location, it was $$$.

But damn, he's a ****ing idiot for taking that job. Unless they've got an Artest trade in the can. Even with that, it's not a good job.

pwee31
06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
This reinforces for me that the problem here wasn't location, it was $$$.

But damn, he's a ****ing idiot for taking that job. Unless they've got an Artest trade in the can. Even with that, it's not a good job.

Well Miami did want compensation from Orlando for SVG, so why would they not want it from Sactown as well? Maybe there's an Artest to Miami deal in place.

ABADays
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
This should be rich!

Arcadian
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't think Riley wanted a cross state rival. Still petty.

Honestly I think O'Brien is the better coach. Stan for a man who's had what two head coaching seasons has built up quite a reputation.

grace
06-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Uh, guys as of 12:50 in the morning ESPN news' ticker in the botton says he's going to Orlando. :shrug:

Young
06-07-2007, 01:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2895929

Although the former Miami coach was in Sacramento to talk with the Kings about their vacancy, Van Gundy accepted the Orlando Magic coaching job, ESPN's Jim Gray learned late Wednesday night.

Van Gundy was reportedly offered the Magic coaching job on Tuesday, but that didn't stop him from flying out to Sacramento on Wednesday to continue that courtship.

Brian
06-07-2007, 05:12 AM
Guess he went to ORL...espn reported he had signed on with Sactown..but I guess he didnt

Unclebuck
06-07-2007, 09:57 AM
My reliable inside source is telling me that Jim O'Brien is having second thoughts, and he wants to interview for the magic job - so this is likely what will happen

Billy Donovan to the Kings
SVG to the Pacers
Jim O'Brien to the Magic.

And then halfway through the season the teams swap coaches.

t1hs0n
06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
ESPN is saying that the Magic gave up a second round pick for SVG...

So, If he went to sactown the Magic really got jobbed this time.

JayRedd
06-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Might wanna change the thread title.

LG33
06-07-2007, 10:42 AM

They actually gave up Jameer Nelson just to interview him. It was a Dice-K sort of transaction.

JayRedd
06-07-2007, 10:46 AM
They actually gave up Jameer Nelson just to interview him. It was a Dice-K sort of transaction.

Goofy is also now the new Heat mascot.

Hicks
06-07-2007, 11:03 AM

OK this is getting ridiculous. What's going on, what's really been said? It can't be both.

loborick
06-07-2007, 11:08 AM
There's this site called ESPN.com. It sometimes has breaking sports news. Here is a link to an article that will answer some of your questions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2895929

JayRedd
06-07-2007, 11:09 AM
http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_Name_Stan_Van_Gundy_Head-227748-800.html

Magic have it too.

He's coaching Orlando.

RWB
06-07-2007, 11:10 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-magic07a07jun07,0,567057.story?coll=orl-magic

Stan Van Gundy named new Orlando Magic coach

Orlando Magic have signed Stan Van Gundy to coach the team after reaching a compensation agreement with his former team.

Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted June 7, 2007, 10:06 AM EDT

bread
06-07-2007, 12:07 PM
No wonder we didn't get him... we have no picks to give. I'm happy with who we have though.

I can't believe a guy with 2 years head coaching experience who quit to "spend more time with the family" is worth a 2nd round pick!

Oneal07
06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
My reliable inside source is telling me that Jim O'Brien is having second thoughts, and he wants to interview for the magic job - so this is likely what will happen

Billy Donovan to the Kings
SVG to the Pacers
Jim O'Brien to the Magic.

And then halfway through the season the teams swap coaches.

I heard LArry Bird will fire O'brien and will have Will Smith coach the Pacers

indyman37
06-07-2007, 02:57 PM
I heard LArry Bird will fire O'brien and will have Will Smith coach the Pacers
Yeah, Bird and the Pacers are in pursuit of happiness...

JayRedd
06-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I can't believe a guy with 2 years head coaching experience who quit to "spend more time with the family" is worth a 2nd round pick!

I believe its understood that he was fired.

avoidingtheclowns
06-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I believe its understood that he was fired.

i believe that's why it was in quotes

JayRedd
06-07-2007, 03:36 PM

I believe I'm dumb.

pwee31
06-07-2007, 04:12 PM
We should have just had Bird step in for Carlisle, and kept Carlisle on staff for something, then we could get a compensation/pick. Once that was obtained THEN we could've brought O'Brien in.

bread
06-07-2007, 05:28 PM

You are correct sir! ;)

Many people close to SVG believed him although there are still many skeptics here (S. FL). I was even inclined to believe him until he went on the sportstalk station here right as he was being linked as a possiblity for the Pacers. Although he maintained that he did indeed leave because he wanted to spend more time with the family, he went on to say that "it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be" and that he realized he would much rather be coaching. I'm sure Mrs. VG enjoyed hearing THAT!

And the fact that he was on the payroll as a consultant was a joke since he admitted that he rarely, if ever, watched them play after he left... Including their Championship run. What was he going to consult on, Riley's wardrobe? Their choice of sideline sports drink?

Riley was smart though. I'll give him that. But I still can't figure out how you get a 2nd round pick for guy that was a head coach for only 2 years and essentially got booted because Riley and/or the players lacked faith in his abilities.

I wish Rick was still on the payroll! :cry:

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2007, 02:11 AM

I believe I'm dumb.
I believe I can fly.

:p

Okay, if you guys saw the SVG interview announcing his taking the Magic job then you probably saw a not so subtle rip on our Indiana Pacers. He mentioned that the Magic have DRAFT PICKS, then he mentioned that they have some cap space (or something along those lines) and that they could also interest players due to the WEATHER...at which point he added "players don't want to play in freezing weather, that's why I moved to FLA" roughly.

Sacto is not particularly a ice storm center, so I'm pretty sure SVG only had one target in mind, one he obviously did not have a good interaction with during the process.

However he clearly did do what he told the Pacers he wanted to do, that is field their offer while still interviewing with other teams. Not sure what to make of it exactly other than perhaps TPTB were in the clear with SVG and maybe he was the one with attitude. Or maybe how they dealt with him is the reason he has attitude now.

I also can't believe the Heat managed to pull off that BS of getting a pick just for the right to hire the non-working SVG.