PDA

View Full Version : Are the Lakers using the Pacers for leverage?

Tom White
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
This is an idea that I hate, but it just ran through my mind.

Is it possible that the Lakers could be using the rumors of a deal with Indy to try to pry Garnett from the T'wolves?

Would Minnesota see what is being rumored going from LA for JO and be tempted to accept that deal (or a similar one) for KG? Two potential starters and a pick for a team that is going nowhere, much like the Pacers?

I just think that there has been WAY too much talk about the Lakers/Pacers deal for it to be factual. Something is just not feeling truthful about all of this.

What do you guys think?

bread
06-06-2007, 02:12 PM
That's been in the back of my mind.

I try to keep it there. :disturbed

naptownmenace
06-06-2007, 02:21 PM
What else is new? That's what most teams use the Pacers for.

JayRedd
06-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't see how Kevin McHale could turn down something like Bynum/Odom/19th/Kwame for something like KG/Hudson or Jaric.

And if LA would give up a future pick and take back McCants/Smith/something worthwhile instead of Hudson/Jaric, Minny has to make that move.

Then again, it's Kevin McHale we're talking about.....so who knows.

Hicks
06-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I suppose it'd be like free agency, where it seems like half the names out there are rumored to have interest from Indiana.

Bball
06-06-2007, 03:11 PM
What's to be gained by 'marketing' that rumor as opposed to calling McHale and just making him that offer?

-Bball

Tom White
06-06-2007, 03:38 PM
What's to be gained by 'marketing' that rumor as opposed to calling McHale and just making him that offer?

-Bball

Well, I don't know for certain. Like I said, it is just something that crossed my mind, and an idea can get pretty dinged up doing that. :eek:

But, let's say they had initially made this offer to McHale, and he's hem-hawing about it. Now they come back to him and say "If you don't take it, the Pacers will.". That might just get Mchale to be more serious about it, and to make a move.

indygeezer
06-06-2007, 03:51 PM
They are in the same conference. Would Minny really like to strengthen LA?

Roaming Gnome
06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Does KG make more money then J.O.? I thought KG got his deal before the era of max contracts. Anyway, I'm not saying that's the reason this isn't about Garnett, but just wanted to show that $$$ could be a factor.

Also, I get the same feeling that this whole Laker deal has about a 40% chance of happening. Mal did bring up a good point though... How many times have their been deals during the play-offs, or before the draft for that matter?

Bball
06-06-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm sure KG makes more than JO. His deal might've been before the max contracts but that just means that there wasn't a 'max'.

-Bball

Hicks
06-06-2007, 08:20 PM
KG made about $3mm more than JO this year.

carpediem024
06-07-2007, 12:50 AM
I just can't wait until The Draft and after the draft, because that's when the trades start to pour.

Will Galen
06-07-2007, 02:01 AM
I just can't wait until The Draft and after the draft, because that's when the trades start to pour.

That depends on how you meant that. There are a lot of trades announced during the draft. Then they trickle in until right before camps are due to open.

Basically there's three times a year we can expect trades. During the draft, just before camp opens, and just before the trade deadline. At all other times trades are a bit of a surprise.

The other interesting time is when free agents can be signed. Thats sometime in July.

TheLemonSong
06-10-2007, 09:48 AM
There is noise coming out of LA because the press says, "Well, Kobe is unhappy and he's going to need a pacifier and there is speculation that Indiana is shopping JO..." and they run with it.

The rumors aren't coming from the teams at all. Anyone seen *anyone* substantial from either team recognize or say anything about the other? Dr. Buss say "Indiana" anywhere? Larry say "Lakers" recently? NO!

There's no "leverage" situation, BUT, I've thought it likely for a long time now that whoever is the third-party in the Make-Kobe-Happy deal will get the best deal of all....why not us?

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Well, I would think Kobe would prefer JO, not only because they're friends, but Kobe would definitely still be "the man" in everyone's eyes. If the Lakers modus operandi is to keep Kobe happy, JO should be their target.

Harddrive7
06-10-2007, 10:55 AM
They are in the same conference. Would Minny really like to strengthen LA?

I don't think they heard you Geez.

I agree, why would they want to do that?