PDA

View Full Version : NBA Pre-Draft Measurements

Y2J
06-05-2007, 04:46 PM
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/07/155/17/predraft.png

OakMoses
06-05-2007, 04:50 PM
I like that Carl Landry is 1 inch shorter than Josh McRoberts without shoes on. Landry is considered too short to play 4 in the NBA while no one has ever questioned McRoberts size.

Frank Slade
06-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Good god Conley has a 40 inch + vertical and only 4.2 % body fat.

:drool: :love:

OakMoses
06-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Also interesting that Durant has a larger wingspan than Oden.

Y2J
06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Yep, Conley's a stud muffin. Someone did the side-by-side, and he and Paul are nearly identical with Conley being a bit more athletic. I think Atlanta would be stupid to pass him up at #3 considering how badly they need a point guard. But of course Atlanta is stupid so they'll probably take Corey Brewer.

Corey Brewers wingspan is one of the biggest shockers I think. All this hype about his length, and he ends up measuring out with the wingspan of a point guard. Just goes to show you how someone extremely skinny can look much taller/longer than they actually are.

With all the talk about Greg Oden, check out Jason Smith. He's just as quick/agile and a better leaper. Not quite as tall and about 20 lb. lighter though. What hurts Smith is his sub-par wingspan.

I think Thaddeus Young will move up big time. His athleticism is even better than expected, with his size and potential, I think He'll go top-10.

Also Al Thorton looks like a stud. 6'7", 221 lb. with a huge wingspan and a freakish 41" vert? I'd seriously consider trading Granger & #19 to move up and take him. (provided the Lakers deal went down)

Nick Young looks great as well. Great athlete and a great shooter, just what you want from a SG. I bet he'll go top-15. I wish we could land him.

Acie Law did ok. Not bad, not great. I think, with guys like the 2 Youngs and Thorton doing so well, Law's stock may have dropped a few spots. I think there's a very real possibility he could be there at #19.

Trader Joe
06-05-2007, 06:12 PM
A 40 inch vert? A FORTY INCH VERT ON A SIX FOOT PG???? I'm in love.

Trader Joe
06-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Yep, Conley's a stud muffin. Someone did the side-by-side, and he and Paul are nearly identical with Conley being a bit more athletic. I think Atlanta would be stupid to pass him up at #3 considering how badly they need a point guard. But of course Atlanta is stupid so they'll probably take Corey Brewer.

Corey Brewers wingspan is one of the biggest shockers I think. All this hype about his length, and he ends up measuring out with the wingspan of a point guard. Just goes to show you how someone extremely skinny can look much taller/longer than they actually are.

With all the talk about Greg Oden, check out Jason Smith. He's just as quick/agile and a better leaper. Not quite as tall and about 20 lb. lighter though. What hurts Smith is his sub-par wingspan.

I think Thaddeus Young will move up big time. His athleticism is even better than expected, with his size and potential, I think He'll go top-10.

Also Al Thorton looks like a stud. 6'7", 221 lb. with a huge wingspan and a freakish 41" vert? I'd seriously consider trading Granger & #19 to move up and take him. (provided the Lakers deal went down)

Nick Young looks great as well. Great athlete and a great shooter, just what you want from a SG. I bet he'll go top-15. I wish we could land him.

Acie Law did ok. Not bad, not great. I think, with guys like the 2 Youngs and Thorton doing so well, Law's stock may have dropped a few spots. I think there's a very real possibility he could be there at #19.

Didn't people already know that Law wasn't going to be the most devastating athlete already though? His shooting is his biggest strength along with his leadership and swagger.

DisplacedKnick
06-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Those measurements are way overrated IMO. Other than height, wingspan and vertical, the rest are close to useless.

Want to do a strength test applicable to basketball? Squats - your legs are what really give you strength. And strength counts for much less than knowing how to use your body or be able to continue your motion after taking contact.

Same thing with speed. More important to have balance and a handle, be able to fake and change speeds quickly. I doubt if Jason Kidd or Steve Nash win too many sprints but they sure get to the rim.

I'm sure taking those measurements creates a job for someone but if they play against good competition, watch the game tapes.

Hicks
06-05-2007, 06:38 PM
A 40 inch vert? A FORTY INCH VERT ON A SIX FOOT PG???? I'm in love.

Maybe I'm alone, but who cares? He's a PG. Can he:

1) Run plays
2) Control tempo
3) Feed scorers appropriately
4) Pass
5) Defend
6) Shoot
7) Attack the basket

Only with #7 do I see a 40" vert having any possible impact, and that's just to finish after he attacks.

BlueNGold
06-05-2007, 07:11 PM
I bet Jamison Brewer was off the charts as well. Where the **** is he now?

Trader Joe
06-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Maybe I'm alone, but who cares? He's a PG. Can he:

1) Run plays
2) Control tempo
3) Feed scorers appropriately
4) Pass
5) Defend
6) Shoot
7) Attack the basket

Only with #7 do I see a 40" vert having any possible impact, and that's just to finish after he attacks.

Isn't it already assumed by now that Conley can do all of those things in pretty well? It is for me. The 40" is the cherry on the icing on top. It just shows that he is also a freakish athlete as well.

Frank Slade
06-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I bet Jamison Brewer was off the charts as well. Where the **** is he now?

In 2007, Brewer is playing professionally in Belgium with Dexia Mons Hainaut.

:reporter:

Isn't it already assumed by now that Conley can do all of those things in pretty well? It is for me. The 40" is the cherry on the icing on top. It just shows that he is also a freakish athlete as well.

That pretty well sums up my take.

Y2J
06-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I think athleticism is extremely important. It can be what separates a good player from a superstar. I mean, where would Kobe or LeBron be without their athleticism? They'd still be good players, but not the legends in the making they are now. I think the problem is when people look so far into athleticism that they overlook skill level. Thing with Conley is he's a great athlete and, outside of his shooting, has a high skill level. If he can improve is shot, he could be an All-Star.

Roy Munson
06-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Good god Conley has a 40 inch + vertical and only 4.2 % body fat.

Why would you, or anyone, be surprised that he's a very good jumper? After all, his dad was the best triple jumper in the world for a while.

Trader Joe
06-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Why would you, or anyone, be surprised that he's a very good jumper? After all, his dad was the best triple jumper in the world for a while.

True. Plus once you see him in person you come away stunned by his athleticism. First time I saw him play I think we were both sophomores and I walked out of the gym saying he would be just as good as Oden. I still believe thats possible. The guy is still undervalued because of playing with Greg.
His speed with a basketball in his hands is nothing short of incredible. In HS I saw him break our press like it wasn't even there and we had a press my senior year that was capable of producing 20+ turnovers against anybody. He just has about two extra gears that you aren't expecting.

AesopRockOn
06-06-2007, 12:34 AM
I think athleticism is extremely important. It can be what separates a good player from a superstar. I mean, where would Kobe or LeBron be without their athleticism? They'd still be good players, but not the legends in the making they are now. I think the problem is when people look so far into athleticism that they overlook skill level. Thing with Conley is he's a great athlete and, outside of his shooting, has a high skill level. If he can improve is shot, he could be an All-Star.

Lebron would be doing dishes at Burger King; Kobe on the other hand would still be a fantastic player.

Eindar
06-06-2007, 03:25 AM
Surely that 2.7% body fat on Aaron Brooks is a typo...

idioteque
06-06-2007, 05:10 AM

Assuming that he can do 1-7 on an NBA level (besides maybe shooting, but doesn't Conley have a shaky jumper) is much different than assuming he do these things on a college level.

I think Conley will be a good PG eventually, but he'll have quite the learning curve after only one year of college. Think of all of the great PG's that came out in '05: CP3, Jack, Felton, Deron Williams: all had at least 2 years of college. The exception that year is Monta Ellis, who has turned out to be a hell of a player after making the jump from HS. However it took Ellis a season of learning to really get going. I envision the same thing for Conley and for that reason alone is why the Pacers won't take him. The Pacers want to be in the playoffs next year, and Acie Law has the ability to make a more immediate impact next year than Conley, even if Conley might be arguably better in a few years.

So in the minds of TPTB, in my opinion of course, is Law > Conley. Not that we'd have a chance at Conley at 19 anyway, and I think that Law will be gone at 14 to LAC. So does any of this even matter? :o

owl
06-06-2007, 07:16 AM
With Oden having the greatest standing reach of 9'4" and incredible quickeness and a 34 inch vertical does anyone doubt he will be a defensive beast at a minimum. Too bad he way is way out west.

DisplacedKnick
06-06-2007, 08:19 AM
With Oden having the greatest standing reach of 9'4" and incredible quickeness and a 34 inch vertical does anyone doubt he will be a defensive beast at a minimum. Too bad he way is way out west.

I agree.

Oden will be fine on both ends of the ball anyway - eventually. On defense he'll be very good right away. He has to refine his footwork and another year of college might have helped but once he does that and develops about a 10-foot jump shot he'll be deadly - can either go for the jump hook, drop-step (with his quickness I expect that to be a devastating move for him) or hit the short jumper.

But the offense will take a year or two.

owl
06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
I would not be surprised to see Oden leading the league in rebounding next year. 12 points and 14 rebounds a game with 3 blocks is attainable, maybe more.