PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Preparing for Draft, Just in Case {Pacers.com}

Frank Slade
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
TEAM MUST BE READY FOR TRADE POSSIBILITIES

Pacers Preparing for Draft, Just in Case

By Conrad Brunner | June 5, 2007
You might think Joe Ash's job got a lot easier when it became evident the Pacers wouldn't have any picks in the June 28 NBA Draft.
On the contrary, the challenge for the team's Director of Scouting only grew.

Though the Pacers don't have a selection in either the first or second round, there's no difference in their preparation process.

The scouting staff was joined by CEO Donnie Walsh and President Larry Bird in Orlando last week for the NBA Pre-Draft Camp. Though Walsh and Bird returned to Indianapolis late last week, the scouts remained in Florida to attend additional group workouts for draft prospects.

Just because they don't have a pick doesn't mean they won't face a scenario, or perhaps several, in which picks might become available in trade. In which case, they must be prepared to have instant analysis of players projected all over the board, and not just in a particular segment of the draft where their choices are slotted.

"There should not be any difference (in the preparation process)," Walsh said. "When the draft goes, you've got to expect a call from a team at any point and you should've been calling to see what you can do before that point. There are a lot of unexpected calls that come, particularly with teams that have multiple picks who call you up during the draft. You have to be ready for that."

That's what makes the job tougher for Ash and his staff. Last year, for example, the Pacers had the No. 17 pick in the first round and No. 45 in the second. Their planning process focused primarily on those two zones – the middle segment of the first and second rounds. This year, they can safely conclude the top two picks are unattainable but must be confident in their research on every other selection.

"We’ve scouted and covered the country just as if we had a pick," Ash said. "We've covered the internationals and attended all the pre-draft camps and workouts as if we had a pick. We're as prepared as if we had a pick. It's just the uncertainty without being able to zero in – we have to be prepared to answer questions about anybody."

If it sounds like the Pacers are taking an active approach to the draft, well, they are. Walsh characterized the team's stance as toward acquiring a pick as "pretty aggressive," and Bird concurred.

"There's a lot of teams out there that have multiple choices and there's a lot of talk around the league that a lot of teams with their position with the cap they don't want to have two or possibly three draft choices so we might be able to move in there and get one of 'em," Bird said. "If there's a player we like and we can get in there and get him, we'll try to do that."

The lone difference in the Pacers' pre-draft preparation process is the absence of individual workouts. Normally, they'll have several private sessions for two dozen or so players, often in groups of four, in Conseco Fieldhouse. Those workouts won't take place this year but the scouts will have otherwise filled their dossiers on the prospects – not only for draft night but beyond.

"There's not as much sense of anticipation but even if we end up not having a pick, we've still learned a lot about these players and that can be important in the future if their names come up again," Ash said. "We don't want to just get in (the draft), we want to be able to identify a player or players that we really have interest in. There's no sense getting a pick just to get one. We have to I.D. which guys we like and project where they are in the draft and so we know where we have to be to get that player, as well as being able to answer questions about them."

All the uncertainty, and the potential sense of futility, could pose a morale challenge for the scouts.

Walsh smiled at that suggestion.

"I keep their morale up," he said, "two times a month."

Which is to say this is a business, these are professionals and there is a a job to be done, regardless of the present circumstances.

The Pacers could still be spectators on draft night.

But, as Walsh put it, "It ain't necessarily so."

Either way, they'll be ready.

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/draft_preparation_070605.html)

JayRedd
06-05-2007, 12:51 PM
All the uncertainty, and the potential sense of futility, could pose a morale challenge for the scouts.

Walsh smiled at that suggestion.

"I keep their morale up," he said, "two times a month."I always enjoy the behind-the-scenes stuff, so this is fairly interesting.

Although, I'm not sure that any of this is news per se.

Seems like a no-brainer that we'd have scouts and talent analysts looking at every player all the time anyway. Nowadays especially, I would think every team should have a pretty thick dossier on every player in the League, and every one that may come into the League in the next few years. With all the money involved and all the widely available info/access, I'd expect our scouts to know everything about these guys including whether the point guard on the Croatian National Team prefers his toast with butter or jelly.

That quote by Donnie pretty much sums it all up.

Do work.

Hicks
06-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Nice to know that the aggression is there. What's with not having individual workouts? I thought this was supposed to be 'business as usual'? That isn't business as usual. Seems like wasted opportunity.

Slick Pinkham
06-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Philadelphia will be looking to deal one of their 4 draft picks (3 in round 1).

No way do they want 4 rookies.

:twocents:

JayRedd
06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Philadelphia will be looking to deal one of their 4 draft picks (3 in round 1).

No way do they want 4 rookies.

:twocents:

True...They already have three young'ns in their rotation with Iggy, Dalembert and Carney. May as well trade one for a vet. Too bad they won't want any of ours.

Naptown_Seth
06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Nice to know that the aggression is there. What's with not having individual workouts? I thought this was supposed to be 'business as usual'? That isn't business as usual. Seems like wasted opportunity.
I'm sure it's not free to hold individual workouts and we've just been told their stance on cost-cutting.

JayRedd
06-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm sure it's not free to hold individual workouts and we've just been told their stance on cost-cutting.

Plus, a lot of the marquee guys are already flying all over the country to different cities to work out for other teams. Who's gonna really want to show up for another stop on pure speculation?

FlavaDave
06-05-2007, 01:20 PM
True...They already have three young'ns in their rotation with Iggy, Dalembert and Carney. May as well trade one for a vet. Too bad they won't want any of ours.

Foster?

Naptown_Seth
06-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Plus, a lot of the marquee guys are already flying all over the country to different cities to work out for other teams. Who's gonna really want to show up for another stop on pure speculation?
Of course Oden and Conley are from Indy so... :)

Foster?
That's the name that came to mind for me as well. But honestly he's one of the main hustle guys the team has AND one of the few hard-working vet leader types too. Tough to give him up for a lower first round pick.

JayRedd
06-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Foster?

True...Temporarily blinded by pessimism.

avoidingtheclowns
06-05-2007, 01:31 PM
well they have a hole at PF, which could mean murphy.

Hicks
06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Question: If Antonio Davis (as a 6th man) can get us the #5 pick in the NBA Draft (and 1999 was not a weak draft), why can't Foster get us better than say, #15? Was Tony really that much better?

FlavaDave
06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
How about:

Foster, Harrison, and Greene for Ollie, Hunter, and the #12.

Philly gets a starting PF with playoff experience and dumps Hunter's contract. Pacers get the pick and save 3 million in 2008 (because of Ollie) while spending 3 million more in 2010 (because of Hunter).

Neither Harrison nor Greene need to be there for cap reasons, but Philly might want extra warm bodies.

Unclebuck
06-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Agents probably won't allow their players to come work out for us because we don't have a pick.

The Pacers have made a number of draft day trades starting with Bender and let me see, I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Foster, James White, Tinsley - I think there were a couple of others.

Wait - did the pacers trade to get Tinsley??

DisplacedKnick
06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
That quote by Donnie pretty much sums it all up.

Do work.

Yup - plus you assume (never totally safe) that folks involved in scouting enjoy it anyway - picking apart players, assessing strengths and weaknesses, etc. May be a bit more "academic" when you don't have a pick.

Plus there will be a pile of players in the "40 and later pick" group who won't be drafted and may be good camp invites.

Trader Joe
06-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Agents probably won't allow their players to come work out for us because we don't have a pick.

The Pacers have made a number of draft day trades starting with Bender and let me see, I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Foster, James White, Tinsley - I think there were a couple of others.

Yeah he was picked by the Hawks or Grizzlies originally. I'm leaning towards ATL.

Young
06-05-2007, 01:54 PM

Yes sir.

We sent a 2003 1rst round pick to them and it turned out to be Boris Diaw.

Frank Slade
06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah he was picked by the Hawks or Grizzlies originally. I'm leaning towards ATL.

You are correct the Hawks, we just can't seem to stay away from that team ;)

Frank Slade
06-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Yes sir.

We sent a 2003 1rst round pick to them and it turned out to be Boris Diaw.

And the pick after Tinsley was this Tony Parker fella...:confused:

Peck
06-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Question: If Antonio Davis (as a 6th man) can get us the #5 pick in the NBA Draft (and 1999 was not a weak draft), why can't Foster get us better than say, #15? Was Tony really that much better?

Yes.

Peck
06-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Ok, I know I am beating a dead horse here but....

Everybody keeps blaming Larry Bird for everything that is going on, but I keep seeing Donnie Walsh's name over and over again in places that should just be the person in charge of basketball operations.

This is still Walsh's team.

Young
06-05-2007, 02:15 PM
And the pick after Tinsley was this Tony Parker fella...:confused:

Worse yet, about 3 picks after that or so the pick was...GILBERT ARENAS!!!

Oh what could have been.

CableKC
06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
If Morris Almond is available in the late 1st round to early 2nd round....I really hope we make a play for him. I've been reading about this guy and with his 3pt range and pure shooting ability....I'm really impressed by him. Every year....solid 3pt shooting roleplayers are always drafted. Unfortunately, I think that some team like the Suns is going to draft him.

Trader Joe
06-05-2007, 02:20 PM
This article has given me a boost in old morale department. It says to me that the team is actively working to get a pick or maybe even two picks in the first round.

Slick Pinkham
06-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Worse yet, about 3 picks after that or so the pick was...GILBERT ARENAS!!!

Oh what could have been.

But a few picks before Tinsley was Joe Forte, so it could have been worse!

:sunshine:

FlavaDave
06-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Also, if we got the #12, we could probably get Acie Law.

Tom White
06-05-2007, 02:47 PM

Not really. At least in my view.

If you don't know which pick from which team is going to become available, how do you know which players to invite to a workout?

You might pick up a mid-first round pick, or a late first round pick. You just don't really know until it happens.

Tom White
06-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Yep. He could even hit a layup.

Unclebuck
06-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Everybody keeps blaming Larry Bird for everything that is going on, but I keep seeing Donnie Walsh's name over and over again in places that should just be the person in charge of basketball operations.

That horse has been beaten to death a long, long time ago.

DisplacedKnick
06-05-2007, 03:16 PM

The past 3 years have featured enough bad decisions that I think there's enough blame for everyone.

I've never seen much point in arguing which of the two screwed up worst. Pacers management has - repeatedly. They're both management to me.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-05-2007, 04:14 PM
we need to know who we are taking at # 19 after we trade JO for Kwame+19 and future pick considerations. Oh forgot...we are getting some cash to.

Bball
06-05-2007, 07:11 PM
The past 3 years have featured enough bad decisions that I think there's enough blame for everyone.

I've never seen much point in arguing which of the two screwed up worst. Pacers management has - repeatedly. They're both management to me.

And at this point, I find it hard anyone could argue that.

-Bball