PDA

View Full Version : Who would you pick at 19?

owl
06-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Assuming the LA-Pacer trade happens and the Pacers get the 19 pick who
would you go after?
I see several players that would help

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/demetrisnichols.html
Dramatically improved over his 4 years. Reminds me of Reggie in some ways

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/demetrisnichols.html
Why is he not morely highly valued. Scores well with great percentage

http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/marcobelinelli.html

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/javariscrittenton.html
Vern Fleming redux?

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/acielaw.html
A real point guard.

I believe the Pacers number one need is a shooting guard.

idioteque
06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I would love to have Acie Law. Honestly though I think he'll get picked up at 14 by LAC, who definately need point guard help right away. Law should be an immediate contributor for that team.

Nichols seems like a good prospect, a shooter with size who based on that scouting report does sound a lot like Reggie Miller coming out of college. He seems accustomed to playing the 3 in college, and I assume if we drafted him it would be more likely to play the two since we're pretty set at the forward positions.

I love Crittenton's size however he is still somewhat raw and with only one year of college it will take some time for him to learn the NBA game. If you look at past drafts, its basically been established that most PG's with only one of year of college who are thrown right into an NBA rotation struggle.

Belinelli seems like a good shooter, maybe a Steve Kerr type, but based on scouting reports it seems like Nichols would be a better defender. Defense is going to be very important in the Obie/Harter era.

NBAdraft.net has Nichols going at 35. It would be interesting if we got LA's #40 pick and we could pick him up. If we really think he is the best player on the board, drafting him at 19 would draw a lot of ire from the fans. But maybe he'd be this years Balkman. I am just really intrigued by his scouting report and, call me crazy, but I'd seriously look into him even more. I don't understand at this point why Belinelli is considered to be a better player, like 11 spots better, honestly, based on those reports.

avoidingtheclowns
06-05-2007, 11:21 AM
not sure who your second link is supposed to be (#1 & 2 are the same)

Nick Young (SG/SF)
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/nickyoung.html
I think this guy has tremendous talent and promise. He's a scorer and defender the two things we are in the market for in a SG. The question is could we get this guy? Would he fall or could we trade for a pick to get him?

Rudy Fernandez (SG)
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/rudyfernandez.html
Nice 3pt range. Decent and improving perimeter defender. Probably available at #19.

Gabe Pruitt (PG)
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/gabepruitt.html
Certainly knows how to score, needs to develop into more of a playmaker. He's someone who would be available and I would be interested in. NBADraft.net predicts him in the first, DraftExpress has him going mid-2nd so there is some debate as to whether he should even be a thought for #19.

Slick Pinkham
06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
If he stays in the draft, I think Dominic James is a second round steal. His athleticism showed in the camp workouts, though he is small. I see him as a more offensive-minded version of Nate Robinson.

I guess he struggled in the scrimmages in the Orlando camp and may drop late or even go undrafted if he stays in, and he doesn't have an agent, so I expect him to drop out of the draft.

he needs a consistent 20-footer and can probably get in in a year or too since I think he is fine with mid range shots.

Young
06-05-2007, 11:51 AM
- Acie Law
I believe he would be a great fit under OB.

- Rodney Stuckey
I heard he will be taken by the Pistons but you never know. I would defiantly take him at 19.

- Daequan Cook
I think that of the 3 guys here Cook is the most likely to be avaliable. Not a bad choice at all though.

DisplacedKnick
06-05-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm praying the Knicks take Derrick Byars at 23 and I think I'd recommend him at 19 for the Pacers. Both teams really need outside shooting and a good shooting guard and IMO Byars is very good - extremely sound fundamentally, good defense, good passer as a SG, etc.

Of course that depends on someone else maybe dropping but out of all the bottom-1st rd SG's I've seen mentioned, he'd be my choice.

rel
06-05-2007, 11:53 AM
*Javaris Crittenton
Rodney Stuckey
Derrick Byars
Nick Young
Acie Law

Trader Joe
06-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Law if he is there, but he won't be.

Give me Rodney Stuckey and I will be the happiest boy in the world.

mike_D
06-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Nick Young (SG/SF)
I think this guy has tremendous talent and promise. He's a scorer and defender the two things we are in the market for in a SG. The question is could we get this guy? Would he fall or could we trade for a pick to get him?

Rudy Fernandez (SG)
Nice 3pt range. Decent and improving perimeter defender. Probably available at #19.

Gabe Pruitt (PG)
Certainly knows how to score, needs to develop into more of a playmaker. He's someone who would be available and I would be interested in. NBADraft.net predicts him in the first, DraftExpress has him going mid-2nd so there is some debate as to whether he should even be a thought for #19.

IF Nick Young is there then I would think he would be the guy we would go after.Not many guys are as complete a player as he is.I have a feeling though after all these workouts are done with he will clearly be the #1 prospect for SG/SF position leaping ahead of Brewer/Green.I think hes that good.After that Belinellie intrigues me and that is somebody I would seriously look into.

CableKC
06-05-2007, 02:29 PM
When I read the profile for Nick Young on NBADraft.net....he reminds me more of SJax ( minus the issues ) then Josh Howard.

DisapointedPacerFan
06-05-2007, 02:38 PM
If law is still there, we should get him. But we could use a PF...Glen Davis out of LSU?

Trader Joe
06-05-2007, 02:41 PM
If law is still there, we should get him. But we could use a PF...Glen Davis out of LSU?

We don't need any more forwards.

obnoxiousmodesty
06-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Easy. Derrick Byars will be a fine shooting guard. Perhaps not spectacular or even an all-star, but very, very good.

If Acie Law were to fall to 19, which I don't believe will happen, then the Pacers should pick him.

Theoretically, of course. It's all conjecture now.

indyman37
06-05-2007, 07:30 PM
-Nick Young

-Javaris Crittenton

-Marco Belinelli

-Demetris Nichols

Lord Helmet
06-05-2007, 07:40 PM
If he stays in the draft, I think Dominic James is a second round steal. His athleticism showed in the camp workouts, though he is small. I see him as a more offensive-minded version of Nate Robinson.

I guess he struggled in the scrimmages in the Orlando camp and may drop late or even go undrafted if he stays in, and he doesn't have an agent, so I expect him to drop out of the draft.

he needs a consistent 20-footer and can probably get in in a year or too since I think he is fine with mid range shots.
The kid went to my High School, he is a decent player, and has heart, but even from the little I saw of him, he probably needs to have consistent jumper.

I think he should stay in college.

pwee31
06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
-Nick Young

-Javaris Crittenton

-Marco Belinelli

-Demetris Nichols

I like this list. I add Law and R.Fernandez if they're still there.

I also like Pruitt out of USC as well. Can't believe no one really brings him up. I like what he could bring to the table. I thought he was a good reason for Nick Young's success.

pwee31
06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
The kid went to my High School, he is a decent player, and has heart, but even from the little I saw of him, he probably needs to have consistent jumper.

I think he should stay in college.

Yeah I saw him when he played for Richmond. I remember coming back to my high school (Anderson) for a game when I was attending IU, and he was balling, but when he got to Marquette, I saw a lot of inconsistency as a frosh, and even more this past year.

I agree he should go back to Marquette.

indyman37
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I like this list. I add Law and R.Fernandez if they're still there.
I really doubt that Acie will be avaliable at the 19th pick so I didn't include him, but I would love to have him if he's there. I haven't read up very much on Rudy though, so I wasn't so sure about him.

Y2J
06-05-2007, 08:33 PM
At this point, I'll take pretty much anything. :lol:

Nick Young looks good. A SG with great athleticism and a good shooting touch. He doesn't have real special passing ability though.

Really, like I said, I'll take anybody projected in the top-20.

owl
06-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Morris Almond---my second listing is a repeat. That was supposed to be Almond's link

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15209

3pt percentage about 45%
2pt percentage about 50%

Athleticism is helpful but only about a third of the equation. Shooting ability
is a third and what is between the ears is the other third. Almond has
the first two.

pwee31
06-05-2007, 09:45 PM

Nick Young (SG/SF)

Rudy Fernandez (SG)

Gabe Pruitt (PG)

I must've overlooked these suggestions.

Combine yours with Indyman37, add Law, subtract Nichols and that would be my draft list at pick #19

Young
06-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Is it just me, or is there other people that would rather have a mid first round pick than a pick say in the 5-10 range?

When you look at the guys likely to be picked there it will be Jokim Noah and Spencer Hawes. I know it probably sounds dumb but if I was drafting a player neither of those two would excite me as much as a Rodney Stuckey would.

IMO, the two most interesting picks in the first round will be the Clippers and Pistons. Why? Because there are only two real good point guards in this draft (the first round is likely to go top 5) and I could see either of these taking him and i'm talking about Acie Law. Although as i've said before I read the Pistons want Rodney Stuckey, we will see if that is true or not.

But anyways to me there are just so many nice prospects in the 10-20 range. You have Law, Young (x2), Stuckey, Byass, Almond, Crittenton, Fernandez, Belinelli, and my sleeper pick Daequan Cook.

Hopefully the Pacers can find a way to nab one of these guys. I'd be thrilled with either Young, Stuckey, Almond, or Cook.

Anthem
06-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Conley, if he's available. :rolleyes:

How can we know if we don't know who went 1-18?

CableKC
06-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Is it just me, or is there other people that would rather have a mid first round pick than a pick say in the 5-10 range?

When you look at the guys likely to be picked there it will be Jokim Noah and Spencer Hawes. I know it probably sounds dumb but if I was drafting a player neither of those two would excite me as much as a Rodney Stuckey would.

IMO, the two most interesting picks in the first round will be the Clippers and Pistons. Why? Because there are only two real good point guards in this draft (the first round is likely to go top 5) and I could see either of these taking him and i'm talking about Acie Law. Although as i've said before I read the Pistons want Rodney Stuckey, we will see if that is true or not.

But anyways to me there are just so many nice prospects in the 10-20 range. You have Law, Young (x2), Stuckey, Byass, Almond, Crittenton, Fernandez, Belinelli, and my sleeper pick Daequan Cook.

Hopefully the Pacers can find a way to nab one of these guys. I'd be thrilled with either Young, Stuckey, Almond, or Cook.
Exactly....from the 19th spot and on.....this draft is stacked with decent Guards that we can probably pick from.

sig
06-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Crittenton. He is 6'5" and can play either guard position. He will go thru some growing pains and may not give much in his 1st year. The question is will he be availavble at 19.

owl
06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Crittendon is 6'3". Check the numbers from the predraft camp.

Shade
06-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I would probably take a chance on Nick Young, but this really does appear to be a pretty weak draft guard-wise, IMO.

Law won't drop to #19.

I saw a lot of Cook this season and was thoroughly unimpressed.

It would be great to acquire two high picks in the 2008 draft, though. We could nab our backcourt of the future in one shot.

OakMoses
06-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I totally agree with Rommie that a mid 1st round draft pick is almost as good as one 5-10. The top of the first round is full of forwards that we do not need. The guards (other than Conley) are slated to go lower.

I like Almond, Byars, and Young at 19. I like Crittenton if he's available. 19 is way too high for Nichols and Pruitt. You could probably trade down 10 spots and still have your choice of either guy.

I think that Spencer Hawes will be a good NBA player. He could very easily be a Rik Smits/Zydrunas Ilgauskas type. Not the type of big guy that you build around, but a good complimentary player in a league with few true centers.

QuickRelease
06-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I would probably take a chance on Nick Young, but this really does appear to be a pretty weak draft guard-wise, IMO.

Law won't drop to #19.

I saw a lot of Cook this season and was thoroughly unimpressed.

It would be great to acquire two high picks in the 2008 draft, though. We could nab our backcourt of the future in one shot.

It actually isn't that bad of a draft for shooting guards. I have personally had my sights set on Rudy Fernanadez as our next shooting guard. Belinelli torched our guys in the games a couple of years back (maybe last year). If not, I would like Morris Almond. We have a bigger need at shooting guard than anyplace else. We really only have Daniels, and Dunleavy is really a small forward.

Kegboy
06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Nick Young would be a blessing if he fell. Law would, too, of course. I'm not a fan of the kid, but he sure is talented.

Ever since the first Almond posting, I just keep seeing him as Shawn Respert without the height issues or the cancer. (Not only similar numbers and scouting report, but Respert was the Director of Basketball Operations at Rice, so you just know he worked with him.) Might be a reach, but lord knows we need somebody who can shoot, moreso now with Obie.

Robertmto
06-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Trade up and snag Brewer.

DUHHHHHHHHHH

Y2J
06-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Trade up and snag Brewer.

DUHHHHHHHHHH

I don;t think Brewer's particularly skilled. Combine that with the fact that he's a good, but far from a great athlete, and has the wingspan of a point guard, and I'd have to pass without a seconds hesitation.

I'm calling it now - Corey Brewer is THE BUST of the 2007 NBA Draft.

wintermute
06-07-2007, 07:33 AM
draft express has an article up on some of this year's sg prospects

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2101

almond comes up very well in nearly every category. this despite being not very athletic and not having good handles, according to the article.

dan nwaelele looks interesting too. he's a role player type who might not get drafted, but down the line he might turn into a useful player. summer league invitee?

CableKC
06-07-2007, 01:05 PM
draft express has an article up on some of this year's sg prospects

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2101

almond comes up very well in nearly every category. this despite being not very athletic and not having good handles, according to the article.

dan nwaelele looks interesting too. he's a role player type who might not get drafted, but down the line he might turn into a useful player. summer league invitee?
I was just about to post this. From what I read......the main reason that Almond tops most of the catagories is because he was the primary scoring option on his team and took care of most of the scoring.

I am really impressed by that. At worst....he can turn out to be a role-player that can simply shoot the ball. At best.....he appears to be a highly efficient scorer that can either shoot the 3pt shot or drive to the hoop to draw fouls.

I would truly be surprised if Almond isn't drafted at the end of the 1st round....I can totally see the Knicks reaching for a player like Almond at the 23rd spot...or even the Sixers or the Jazz making some run for him.

I really hope that if he's available at the 24th spot...that we make some run for the Sun's pick to get him.

With JO'Bs offense...it sounds like we really need some 3pt shooters and efficient scorers on this team.

LoneGranger33
06-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Ok, now let's say we get either the 40th or 48th pick. Who should we pick up then?

pwee31
06-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Ok, now let's say we get either the 40th or 48th pick. Who should we pick up then?

Petteri Koponen

tadscout
06-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Petteri Koponen

I'd wish he'd fall down that far if we had one of those picks 40 or 48, but I doubt it :cry:

CableKC
06-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Unless Rudy Fernandez is available.....I would go for Almond. I know its a stretch...but we are desperate for a shooter. I really think that he will become a solid role player on a team in the future.

blanket
06-21-2007, 07:15 PM
I expect Almond to go in the 1st round - no doubt. He's a definite sleeper. Maybe as high as 19, if we get that pick.

with his Euro contract issues, I could see Rudy Fernandez slipping to early in the 2nd round.

if we pick up 40 or 48, I'd be interested in Demetris Nichols, Taurean Green, or even DJ Strawberry.

pwee31
06-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I'd wish he'd fall down that far if we had one of those picks 40 or 48, but I doubt it :cry:

He may. Some mocks have him in the late first to the Spurs or Suns, while others have him in the 2nd round during the 30's and lower 40's

If we can some how get 2 picks in this draft and land Koponen plus Rudy or Belinelli! :dance:

LoneGranger33
06-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I'd take Jared Dudley if he's there. He's a good kid, plus we did a group project together in a sociology class. But we don't really need a fourth SF.

avoidingtheclowns
06-21-2007, 08:03 PM

you would take a chance on a guy that some have projected going as high as #8? thats awfully gutsy of you. i might take a chance on durant if he is still on the board at 19 too. i'd have to think about it though.

young is a shooter (a nice % one at that) and a great defender. we would have absolutely no use for that type of player.

LoneGranger33
06-21-2007, 08:25 PM
you would take a chance on a guy that some have projected going as high as #8? thats awfully gutsy of you. i might take a chance on durant if he is still on the board at 19 too. i'd have to think about it though.

young is a shooter (a nice % one at that) and a great defender. we would have absolutely no use for that type of player.

Your post goes over the sarcasm limit. Please remove yourself from this forum.

JayRedd
06-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I'd take Jared Dudley if he's there. He's a good kid, plus we did a group project together in a sociology class. But we don't really need a fourth SF.

Been watching Dudley chew up the Big East for years.

I would love to see him running back on defense, double fist-pumping the sky and yelling at the ceiling in a Ps uniform instead of that in that one with that wretched Eagle on it.

diamonddave00
06-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Do not take Rudy Fernandez if we get the pick . I'd love to have him but his euro buyout means he will not be playing in the nba next season. Add to that he has been told he can earn 3-4 mil a year in Euros (4.5-5.75 mil dollars) to remain in Spain for 4 years.

An nba draft pick at 19 will get 8 mil total over those 4 years, In Spain Rudy would get 16-23 mil tax free . Sources say Rudy would love to play in the NBA unlike Fran Vaszques who stiffed the Magic 2 years ago. But losing up to 15 million and playing for Real Madrid , may be too much for Rudy to give up.

He's an excellent player but prob never a real star in the NBA. He is the type you take in the 2nd round and wait on , then bring him over at around 27 and sign to a contract more in the MLE range.

LoneGranger33
06-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Been watching Dudley chew up the Big East for years.

I would love to see him running back on defense, double fist-pumping the sky and yelling at the ceiling in a Ps uniform instead of that in that one with that wretched Eagle on it.

I'm not sure whether to kiss you or hit you. I choose the latter. :boxer:

SoupIsGood
06-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Do not take Rudy Fernandez if we get the pick . I'd love to have him but his euro buyout means he will not be playing in the nba next season. Add to that he has been told he can earn 3-4 mil a year in Euros (4.5-5.75 mil dollars) to remain in Spain for 4 years.

An nba draft pick at 19 will get 8 mil total over those 4 years, In Spain Rudy would get 16-23 mil tax free . Sources say Rudy would love to play in the NBA unlike Fran Vaszques who stiffed the Magic 2 years ago. But losing up to 15 million and playing for Real Madrid , may be too much for Rudy to give up.

He's an excellent player but prob never a real star in the NBA. He is the type you take in the 2nd round and wait on , then bring him over at around 27 and sign to a contract more in the MLE range.

This could be good. If we get a second rounder from LA (friggin James White), maybe this will cause him to drop into the second where we can snag him. And then, 4 years from now, when all our young talent is developed and we're contending for championships, he can step in as our 6th man, putting us over the top. :) Did someone say threepeat? :o

JayRedd
06-21-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure whether to kiss you or hit you. I choose the latter. :boxer:

Whatever you got couldn't be worse than this:

http://stjohns.rivals.com/bboxscore.asp?Game=4941

You'll rue the day, Craig Smith.

LoneGranger33
06-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Whatever you got couldn't be worse than this:

http://stjohns.rivals.com/bboxscore.asp?Game=4941

You'll rue the day, Craig Smith.

I'm surprised we (of course, I wasn't accepted yet in 2003) let it get that close. Oh yeah, Troy Bell, he was a great NBA player... :o

Whatever, Craig Smith is now leading the undersized PF revolution!

JayRedd
06-21-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm surprised we (of course, I wasn't accepted yet in 2003) let it get that close. Oh yeah, Troy Bell, he was a great NBA player... :o

Whatever, Craig Smith is now leading the undersized PF revolution!

I'll go to the grave believing Marcus Hatten could run an NBA team. Kid was the total package.