PDA

View Full Version : Billups: "I believe we're the better team."

Shade
06-04-2007, 10:32 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070603smith,1,4344066.column?coll=cs-bulls-navigation

Cavs' ascension still a stunner
Pistons' Billups: All our guys better than Cleveland's
<!-- BEGIN RELATED CONTENT RAIL --><!-- END RELATED CONTENT RAIL --> June 4, 2007

So, does this change everything, the Cavs—yes, the Cavs—in the NBA Finals?

Look, this is what everyone was saying, that any team from among five or six in the Eastern Conference could go to the Finals. No one knew which. But the Cavs? It's tougher to digest when it happens, and which starter other than LeBron James would you want from that team?

But they got there, and we all aren't the Pistons.

"I believe [we're better], I really do," Chauncey Billups said after a conference finals series in which the Pistons probably didn't deserve to win one game. "There's nobody on that team who is better than ours. And maybe I'm crazy, maybe I've got too much confidence in these guys, but I believe in us. I believe we're the better team.

"Did we back it up? No, we didn't. But I still think we're better."

Billups is a free agent, and after his poor series the talk is he'll have no serious option but to return to the Pistons, and probably at substantially less money than he was considering a month ago.

So no, teams aren't going to start stacking up, like they did with big guys to counter Shaq, or big guards to deal with Michael. Is there a LeBron stopper out there? Probably not, and it's not likely to be Bruce Bowen this week.

It might look bad for the Bulls in light of the way they lost to the Pistons, though it hardly seems time for drastic action. But this is the issue the Bulls—and everyone in the East—has faced since James was drafted. Would he become the next Jordan, not necessarily in style but in domination? Are the Bulls on the road to becoming the Cavs of the late '80s, the better overall team with more all-around talent, but lacking the best player on the floor? That's also what James has to prove.

As for the Pistons, figure it's over on some level.

With his final meltdown and ejection, Rasheed Wallace has probably received his last technical in a Pistons uniform. With only two years left on his contract, though at an average of about $13.5 million, Wallace has some appeal.

The consensus is Knicks GM Isiah Thomas will be thwarted by the Lakers in trying to get Jermaine O'Neal and by the Sonics in some form of sign and trade or straight free agency for Rashard Lewis. Wallace talked about going to the Knicks before he re-signed with the Pistons in 2004.The better team doesn't lose FOUR GAMES IN A ROW. That's the whole point of a best-of-seven series.

Trader Joe
06-04-2007, 10:38 PM
http://uk.gizmodo.com/baby,crying,tantrum.jpg

Kegboy
06-04-2007, 10:43 PM
There's nobody on that team who is better than ours

I'd like to know which Piston specifically is better than Lebron.

Anthem
06-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Scoreboard.

Trader Joe
06-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh and I think the Pacers were the best team in the NBA this year...we just didn't back it up, but I still think we were the best.

Y2J
06-04-2007, 10:49 PM
http://static.flickr.com/78/155733289_44299089e6.jpg

Kstat
06-04-2007, 10:50 PM
http://static.flickr.com/78/155733289_44299089e6.jpg

http://www.goenglish.com/GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.gif

Unclebuck
06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
It doesn't really matter does it. Reggie used to say that after every ECF's loss.

Really though every player worth anything should believe that his team is the better team

Lord Helmet
06-04-2007, 11:03 PM
U Madd?

Kstat
06-04-2007, 11:18 PM
U Madd?

No, it's just amusing listening to the sour grapes elite on this forum call someone else out for being a sore loser...

Kstat
06-04-2007, 11:19 PM
It doesn't really matter does it. Reggie used to say that after every ECF's loss.

Really though every player worth anything should believe that his team is the better team

Pretty much.

If this is anybody but a Piston, this isn't even a topic here.

ChicagoJ
06-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Can I nominate Chauncey Billups for the sunshiner award?

Roaming Gnome
06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Pretty much.

If this is anybody but a Piston, this isn't even a topic here.

I'd really doubt that. I'm sure if Dirk said that, he'd also be crucified here along with anyone that was a higher seed, that failed to advance that came back with that nonsense. I believe in the past others have said such and been called for their stupidity.

Bottome line: It's an idiotic comment to make when the whole world just finished watching your team get smoked.

grace
06-05-2007, 12:56 AM

I think the FOS award is more appropriate.

Young
06-05-2007, 01:09 AM
I can't say that I disagree with Chauncey. I NEVER EVER thought that the Cavs had a shot in this.

I've looked at playoff games and series in all sports and thought to myself "man, the better team lost here."

But at the same time comments like these just are not needed right after you lose.

But hey this isn't really a big deal. Seems like a dumb thing to say after you lose 4 games in a row in the Conference Finals but hey I understand how he feels.

kidthecat
06-05-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm sure I've heard him say this before.

diamonddave00
06-05-2007, 01:56 AM
I still think the 2004 Pacers were a better team than the Pistons that year.

Los Angeles
06-05-2007, 02:13 AM
The team that wins four out of seven games is always the better team.

Sometimes conventional wisdom has its place, and this is one of those times.

Looking at this series, the team that wanted it the most got the wins. If the Pistons were a better team, they wouldn't have folded the way they did. They were not the better team for multiple reasons, but that's a good place to start.

Ransom
06-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Ewing said this after the Pacers beat them soundly in 96 I think. Actually, players say it all the time. Not really a big deal.

idioteque
06-05-2007, 06:21 AM
What is it with these Pistons? It seems like Rasheed and Chauncey in particular seem to blame everybody but themselves for losing four games in a row to a team that, if you take away LeBron, would likely find themselves in the top half of the lottery.

"I just get sick and tired of that cheating out there -- all that flopping,"-Rasheed.

WAHHHHHH

With the Pistons its always the refs, or the other team cheating. THEY never really seem to make a mistake.

I'm at least at peace with the facts that right now, the Pacers are an inferior team. :dance::dance: I'm not blaming the league, the refs, other teams, or anyone else.

BlueNGold
06-05-2007, 06:28 AM
The confidence is still there. This is not surprising and is quite appropriate. Chauncey might not be right here, but I would want our PG to say the same thing.

...but the truth really is, King James has arrived. Cleveland rose up above Detroit. Cleveland won that series, Detroit did not lose it....and Cleveland might be an even better team next year.

Fool
06-05-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm sure I've heard him say this before.

You have. He's said it before.

NPFII
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
I think Chauncey's right.

The Pistons are the better team. So were the Suns over the Spurs.

It's just a shame that the Finals aren't PHX-DET. That would be a series I'd WANT to watch. But instead we get the evil-floppy-no-fun-damental Spurs against the 1-man show. The only interesting question is who do the refs like more - Timmy & Manu or Lebron & Sideshow.

Spare me the "scoreboard" and "best-of-7" arguments. That's just for the masses...

"Winners? - They don't know what they're missing!"

JayRedd
06-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I'd like to know which Piston specifically is better than Lebron.

Nazr Mohammed, obviously.

Naptown_Seth
06-05-2007, 01:33 PM
:brilliant

"Did we back it up? No, we didn't. But I still think we're better."
Notice he didn't blame the refs or injuries or cheating or whatever. He pointed the finger of failure squarely back at his own team. What's the problem again?

Like there was a big line of people saying the Cavs were about to roll on when they were down 0-2 to a team that won more regular season games too. The Cavs didn't back up their own status as the better team till the last 4 games. Heck, it's only been a few weeks since the talk was that Mike Brown's job could be in jeopardy.

Lebron could make the same statement, that he thinks the Cavs are the better team. I wouldn't have a problem with that either, and I mean before they won the series. Why? Because forget 7 games, you play 82 to figure out who can win the most diverse ways over all the various struggles the long haul puts in front of you, the ultimate test of who the truly better team is, and in the end you are a couple of wins apart.

To me that sounds like "almost even" which means each team is bound to have it's advantages and that it's just a matter of who's hot or what system hits a rut at the wrong time. It doesn't take long for a closely matched team to find itself in big trouble if just a small bit of momentum goes the wrong way.

I defend Billups here for the same reason I hate the Pistons, their fans and Mason...they talked this talk like they owned the Pacers for a few years and owned the East. The fact is that while they were ONE OF the top teams, there have always been other teams right in the mix. Now they have had to see it from the other side for a few years. This is what the Pacers felt like in 03-04, or even 04-05 after being up 2-1.

Anthem
06-05-2007, 01:36 PM
But instead we get the evil-floppy-no-fun-damental Spurs against the 1-man show. The only interesting question is who do the refs like more - Timmy & Manu or Lebron & Sideshow.
The Spurs don't have fundamentals?

Since86
06-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I think he was trying to say they were no fun, with fundamentals.....

That's how I read it anyways.

EDIT: I do agree with Billups, BTW, on everything other than that the Pistons have all the best players.

LeBron was #1 in that series, BY FAR! The Pistons wanted no part of him. They were afraid to challenge him at the rim because he was youtubing anyone and everyone who jumped with him. I can't think of anyother player that could split any team, like he did, in OT to either tie the score or go up 2 with less than a minute in the game. They wouldn't even try to foul him for either personal pride reasons, or they were scared he'd just get an and-1. Detroit is full of good players, but they couldn't hold LeBron's waterbottle during this series.

Jermaniac
06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I still think the 2004 Pacers were a better team than the Pistons that year.Word

NPFII
06-06-2007, 07:14 AM
The Spurs don't have fundamentals?

I was going for - the Spurs are no-fun - by extracting the "fun" from "fundamental", and as we all know - fundamental they most certainly are.

Sorry if that was too ambiguous...:rolleyes:

denyfizle
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I believe Chauncey better go fishin :)