PDA

View Full Version : What was Reggie's pregame ritual?

Ron who?
06-03-2007, 02:56 PM
i know this is a bit off-topic of whats going on right now but some kid i know was talkin about pregame rituals and i remember hearing something about a glass of OJ or something that reggie does

Evan_The_Dude
06-03-2007, 03:09 PM
All I remember is that during shoot arounds he'd stand nearly at half court with his back to the basket and dribble the ball back and forth between his legs as the clock counted down the final seconds until tip off. Right before the buzzer sounded he'd turn around and launch the shot from nearly half court, mimicking a buzzer beater.

Swingman
06-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Didn't he do some kick thing and bow when his name was announced?

Pingu
06-03-2007, 04:54 PM
He used to drink some kind of soda and curse at one member of the staff during 2 minutes before each game, IIRC

Natston
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
and curse at one member of the staff during 2 minutes before each game, IIRC

Yep I believe he and Benner would yell at each other...

maragin
06-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Didn't the night before involve the Watson's girl?

317Kim
06-03-2007, 06:14 PM
It was Lemon Gatorade in a white foam cup while yelling/degrading David Benner and excessive use of his right index finger.

SoupIsGood
06-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Wasn't always Gatorade though. The drink alternated. I've heard Apple Juice and Sprite before.

317Kim
06-03-2007, 06:21 PM
As a former Ball-Kid, I've seen Gatorade for the most part, although you're right. I've seen Mountain Dew and Sprite as well.

Trader Joe
06-03-2007, 07:16 PM
All I remember is that during shoot arounds he'd stand nearly at half court with his back to the basket and dribble the ball back and forth between his legs as the clock counted down the final seconds until tip off. Right before the buzzer sounded he'd turn around and launch the shot from nearly half court, mimicking a buzzer beater.

The shot and dribbling actually happened from the very top of the three point line, not half court.

Anthem
06-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Reggie had billions of rituals.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I loved how he'd curse out benner....and benner used to think of ways to **** reggie off..."They dont think you can do it anymore...they think your washed up"
lol

slyder
06-03-2007, 10:55 PM
if the team lost, the drink was changed for the next time. i loved watching these. now that was basketball!

Kaufman
06-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Another fun ritual he had that I took after was dribbling the ball six times before a free throw.

I guess its not really a pregame ritual, but ritual nonetheless.

Ransom
06-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Another free throw ritual: the baby powder!

Jermaniac
06-04-2007, 01:12 AM
He ate a three course meal of fine foods from Foods Co. Then he listened to Al Green in the background with the lights mildly dim. After that he knelt towards his Jermaine O'Neal icon and prayed.

beast23
06-04-2007, 08:19 AM
He ate a three course meal of fine foods from Foods Co. Then he listened to Al Green in the background with the lights mildly dim. After that he knelt towards his Jermaine O'Neal icon and prayed.Actually, Reggie had/has a housesitter and a chef. I believe the housesitter is at his home 24/7. The chef was not always on-site, but when not, would prepare meals ahead of time that could be re-heated by the housesitter for Reggie.

On days of home games, my understanding is that Reggie would usually have one of a selection of just two or three meals. He would spend game days at home, mentally preparing for the game, with no one speaking to him, not even the housesitter.

If you watch players in all sports, most have routines that they go through before performing. For example, Steve Alford at the free throw line touching the socks, then bouncing the ball exactly three times, then shooting. Or the batter that will touch the far corner of the plate twice, then taking exactly three practice swings before each pitch.

Anyone whose ever played a sport knows that a routine puts you into a "comfort zone"... you've prepared for what's coming, now you're ready. But for many professional players, it goes beyond establishing a routine, it extends into the realm of superstition... they believe that as long as they have completed their routines successfully that, although things will not necessary "go right", at least they are not guaranteed to "go wrong". Others think that if they successfully complete their routines that they are invincible, and things are practically guaranteed to go right.

If nothing else, Reggie went beyond having routines. He was very superstitious about them.

Hitting his shot at the top of the arc was very important to him, followed by being the last on the team to hit a shot before huddling up before the game. Another thing that was equally important to him was pulling the ball out of the net before the ref could field it, following his shooting of a technical free throw.