PDA

View Full Version : Kwame and the #19 for Camby?

Shade
06-02-2007, 05:31 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers2jun02,1,5047422.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Lakers talk with Nuggets about Camby

With Bryant pushing for change, the team looks at options -- and what it might have to give up.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
June 2, 2007

It was all quiet on the Lakers' front, but not necessarily in their front office.

No statements were released by the organization and there were no public words Friday from Kobe Bryant, which meant relative silence for the first time in six days, at least on the exterior.

Behind the scenes, Lakers officials continued to chase their goals of getting better in the frontcourt and appeasing their unhappy superstar.

The Lakers have begun talks with the Denver Nuggets regarding center Marcus Camby, the NBA defensive player of the year, who has led the league in blocked shots the last two seasons.

Camby, 33, averaged 11.2 points, 11.7 rebounds and 3.3 blocks last season. He has a decent midrange jump shot and doesn't demand the ball often in the post, doing most of his scoring with outside shots and after offensive rebounds.

The Nuggets are reportedly trying to lower their payroll, which would make Lakers center Kwame Brown a possibility in trade talks, a league source said.

Brown has only one year left on his contract, for $9.1 million; Camby has three years and about $26 million left on his contract. The Lakers might have to add another low-salaried player or a draft pick to make such a deal more equitable for the Nuggets.

Camby and Brown have missed their share of games because of injuries. Camby has played more than 65 games in a season only three times in his 11-year career. Brown has averaged only 61 games a season in his first six years in the league.

The Lakers have also been in contact with Indiana regarding forward-center Jermaine O'Neal, a six-time All-Star. If the Lakers trade for O'Neal, they would likely have to part with Andrew Bynum or Lamar Odom, or perhaps both.

O'Neal, 28, averaged 19.4 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocks last season, although the Pacers missed the playoffs for the first time in his seven years with Indiana. He has three years and $64.1 million left on his contract, numbers that could ultimately put the Lakers over the luxury-tax threshold.

The Lakers have two centers on their roster, Brown and Bynum. Chris Mihm becomes a free agent next month, although he might be re-signed at an inexpensive price after sitting out last season because of ankle problems.

First off, I don't see the Nuggets doing this. But, if they do, does it mean that:

A) The Lakers aren't going after JO anymore, or
B) We won't get either Kwame or the #19 pick in the JO deal?

Anthem
06-02-2007, 05:33 PM
c. There is no JO deal.

indyman37
06-02-2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers2jun02,1,5047422.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

First off, I don't see the Nuggets doing this. But, if they do, does it mean that:

A) The Lakers aren't going after JO anymore, or
B) We won't get either Kwame or the #19 pick in the JO deal?
I think if the Lakers do this deal, that Kobe will just be even more ticked off. He has basically said he wants another super-star (KG or JO for example). So why would he be happy with the Cambyman? And I don't think the Pacers will trade JO unless we get a pick in the deal.

Shade
06-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I think if the Lakers do this deal, that Kobe will just be even more ticked off. He has basically said he wants another super-star (KG or JO for example). So why would he be happy with the Cambyman? And I don't think the Pacers will trade JO unless we get a pick in the deal.

Agreed, which is what makes me think that the Lakers would try to get JO from us w/o either the #19 pick or Kwame.

But, man, imagine what a Camby/JO frontline could do with Kobe in the backcourt. :eek:

indyman37
06-02-2007, 05:39 PM
But, man, imagine what a Camby/JO frontline could do with Kobe in the backcourt. :eek:
They would dominate everyone in the league. But I was thinking how funny it would be if the Lakers somehow found a way to get JO, Camby, and Artest. Though JO and Artest wouldn't work...I would give them the championship trophy half way into the preseason.

tadscout
06-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Denver would be making this move b/c they really want to shed some salary... so adding a 1st rounder w/ a guaranteed contract doesn't make sense... I could see Camby for Brown and the Lakers 2nd rounders (surely Karl will get the chance to draft his son then, lol)...

Also if they do deal above then we'd be more likely to see the Odom, Bynum, #19 pick trade...

Kegboy
06-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Denver could easily move that pick for another down the road. I think that trade makes a lot of sense for Denver, strictly from a financial perspective, of course.

Trader Joe
06-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Well if it means that Kwame and the #19 are gone then I am not interested in dealing with Lakers cause that means the filler would probably Vlad and Farmar and that makes me want to barf.

Isaac
06-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Well if it means that Kwame and the #19 are gone then I am not interested in dealing with Lakers cause that means the filler would probably Vlad and Farmar and that makes me want to barf.

The Lakers value Farmar, I doubt they would throw him in as a filler. I would love to get him though.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-02-2007, 06:44 PM
omg if it's odom+Bynum and that's all we get i'll flip! esp if we get some lame scrub like vlad!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

ajbry
06-02-2007, 06:46 PM
omg if it's odom+Bynum and that's all we get i'll flip! esp if we get some lame scrub like vlad!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You need to calm down, damn. All of your posts are high-strung.

I don't see much legitimacy in these Camby rumors so far. Kobe doesn't want an aging DPOY, he wants his boy JO who can dictate the pace on both ends of the floor.

SoupIsGood
06-02-2007, 06:49 PM
I agree. OPL, it's the offseason, man. Let's leave the freaking out for when we actually start losing games ;)

Unclebuck
06-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Why would Denver even consider doing a trade like that??

Kegboy
06-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Why would Denver even consider doing a trade like that??

Because they desperately want to cut salary, supposedly. Lord knows nobody's gonna take Kmart off their hands.

avoidingtheclowns
06-02-2007, 07:24 PM
they desperately need to shed $$$$ with nene, carmelo and AI on their payroll. but i agree above, it'd be more likely brown and a 2nd.

Shade
06-02-2007, 07:25 PM
You need to calm down, damn. All of your posts are high-strung.

I don't see much legitimacy in these Camby rumors so far. Kobe doesn't want an aging DPOY, he wants his boy JO who can dictate the pace on both ends of the floor.

Well, I would imagine they would try to finagle both Camby and JO. Getting only Camby this offseason would definitely be a failure for the Lakers, but getting both would be incredible. Though they would be hinging a LOT on the health of two players who are notoriously injury-prone.

Will Galen
06-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Say the Laker's do both trades and get Camby and JO. Then say they are fed up with Kobe as some rumors suggest so they trade him to Chicago for Gordon and Duhn, the #9 pick, etc. They could/would have a very good team.

wintermute
06-02-2007, 11:00 PM
another possibility - lakers move camby to us as part of a package for j.o.

it could be that bird told the lakers that he wants a useful player back, not kwame's expiring. camby and bynum for j.o.?

Young
06-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Denver might do Kwame for Nene but they are not going to trade the defensive player of the year for an expiering contract. Kwame is a solid rotation guy but no defensive player of the year.

CableKC
06-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Because they desperately want to cut salary, supposedly. Lord knows nobody's gonna take Kmart off their hands.
Yes they do.....but I think that any team dealing with LA should demand more.

Camby for Kwame+19?

That's horrible. This would clearly make the Lakers ( a conference rival better ). If I were the Nuggets...I would want Kwame+Bynum instead ( assuming that JONeal isn't going there ).

Also...if its Kwame+19 for Camby...then it would likely mean JONeal for Odom+Bynum+2009 1st round pick ( or Lakers 2007 2nd round picks )...which would suck.

CableKC
06-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Denver might do Kwame for Nene but they are not going to trade the defensive player of the year for an expiering contract. Kwame is a solid rotation guy but no defensive player of the year.
I would agree IF Nene's contract wasn't so big. Camby is the best player that they can move that will get them a decent player in return along with some huge expiring contract.

I still wonder if the Nuggets are that desperate to move him to the Lakers....Camby could be considered a decent "difference" maker on that team.

Naptown_Seth
06-03-2007, 02:27 AM
c. There is no JO deal.
very possible, but also

d. posturing/negotiations

I wonder if Kobe reverted to "I want out" when the Lakers/Pacers hit a snag, because that's about time this Camby talk first started showing up, in other words Plan B.

Young
06-03-2007, 02:32 AM
I can't see the Nuggets moving Camby for just an expiering contract.

If the Lakers got rid of Vladimir (along with Kwame) I could see them take on Nene's salary, maybe.

The Nets could put a deal together, something like Jason Collins + filler(s) maybe?

I think the Spurs would have some big time interest in Camby but pretty much I can't see the Nuggets dealing Camby to the Spurs.

CableKC
06-03-2007, 02:55 AM
I can't see the Nuggets moving Camby for just an expiering contract.

If the Lakers got rid of Vladimir (along with Kwame) I could see them take on Nene's salary, maybe.

The Nets could put a deal together, something like Jason Collins + filler(s) maybe?

I think the Spurs would have some big time interest in Camby but pretty much I can't see the Nuggets dealing Camby to the Spurs.
I think that the Nuggets really want to get back an Expiring Contract for Camby....I just think that they would want to get back a young prospect or a higher 1st round draft pick.

If the Lakers had the a 10-15 pick....then I can see it possibly happening.....but at the 19th spot....you are stuck in "no-man's land" when it comes to drafting......there is a greater chance that you get a player that should be drafted later then sooner.....or worse....end up with a dud.

If the Pacers weren't involved and cuz I want a player like Bynum in return for JONeal......then I would have suggested a Kwame+Bynum for Camby trade makes more sense for the Nuggets. They get an Expiring Contract...and get back a better prospect in Bynum.

purplengoldjonez
06-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Hey indi- laker fan here. maybe there is a 3rd and 4th team involved. This is posted on one of our laker sites..from hoopsworld..

"Jermaine O’Neal is said to be the first target – he’s gonna cost the Lakers Lamar Odom and the #19 draft pick along with Andrew Bynum. The Lakers are also said to be talking with the Kings about Ron Artest – he could be had fairly cheaply - and with Denver about Marcus Camby. Don’t be surprised to see a four team deal with the Lakers, Pacers, Kings and Nuggets. The Nuggets want to trim some salary, the Pacers want draft picks, the Kings want our of the Ron Artest business. There is a trade to be made, and it seems parts of a deal could happen before the draft."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22193.shtml

Anthem
06-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Holy cow, that would be hilarious.

Jermaine would FLIP if he was on the same team as Ron.

I like Jermaine and I wish him the best, but I'd love to see Ron end up in LA.

Roaming Gnome
06-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Hey indi- laker fan here. maybe there is a 3rd and 4th team involved. This is posted on one of our laker sites..from hoopsworld..

"Jermaine O’Neal is said to be the first target – he’s gonna cost the Lakers Lamar Odom and the #19 draft pick along with Andrew Bynum. The Lakers are also said to be talking with the Kings about Ron Artest – he could be had fairly cheaply - and with Denver about Marcus Camby. Don’t be surprised to see a four team deal with the Lakers, Pacers, Kings and Nuggets. The Nuggets want to trim some salary, the Pacers want draft picks, the Kings want our of the Ron Artest business. There is a trade to be made, and it seems parts of a deal could happen before the draft."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22193.shtml

J.O. and Artest will not be on the same team. They are as much Oil and Water as you can get. These two two went as far as fist fighting each other in the locker room. I don't think Kobe and Phil have the mojo to get these two to co-exist.

Shade
06-03-2007, 09:24 PM
I would splurge on League Pass if JO and Ron both end up with the Lakers. I would have to watch that spectacle unfold.

Kegboy
06-03-2007, 10:33 PM
I really and truly believe Ron or Jermaine would end up dead. Maybe both of them, Jermaine kills Ron, then Ron's looney wife comes after Jermaine.

LA's only hope would be if they got Jack from GS to be a mediator. :tongue:

grace
06-04-2007, 12:01 AM
I would splurge on League Pass if JO and Ron both end up with the Lakers. I would have to watch that spectacle unfold.

You'd be better off having someone in Staples Center sneak you into the locker room. That's where all the drama really is.