PDA

View Full Version : Scouting report on Andrew Bynum

Smashed_Potato
06-02-2007, 12:25 AM
If the deal goes down you guys will be getting a future star unfortunately if Bynum stays Kobe goes because without Bynum the Lakers can't land a all-star believe it or not GM's view Bynum more then Odom and Odom is proven in some extent which is why the Lakers have no choice but to trade him.

Scouting Report:

Work ethic: Bynum plays hard but he can also lay low sometimes his lack of maturity is one of the reasons why he sometimes doesn't try. as he grows he will understand the game better he can be very good in the low-post.

it will take him 2-3 years until hes ready to become a force i think Bird will wait that long as long as long as the fans have patience.

Skills: good low-post player, a great shot-blocker in Minutes per game ratio/ as he grows his block shots per will rise up. he needs to develop alot of things still but hes young and hes hungry to be a all-star according to him.

Weakness: has a problem staying in the game but hes young and he makes dumb mistakes sometimes. can be slow running down the floor has a problem playing with teams like Suns, GS because speed kills his game. sometimes gets down because he does a mistake but with young players you will get that.

i hope you guys learned alot about him. if the deal happens you guys will get a special player.

SoupIsGood
06-02-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm hoping that Bynum/Ike/Granger will be a punishing frontline in three(ish) years.

Smashed_Potato
06-02-2007, 12:36 AM
I will bet money that it would.

Coop
06-02-2007, 12:40 AM
I don't see the hype surrounding Ike. I would be excited about a Granger/Bynum combo, but Diogu just seems like a future role-player to me. I dont know why.

TripleThreat
06-02-2007, 12:40 AM
can be slow running down the floor has a problem playing with teams like Suns, GS because speed kills his game.

isn't this exactly OPPOSITE of what JO'B is looking for? Wouldn't someone who can be slow running the floor be detrimental to his "3 second rule"?

Coop
06-02-2007, 12:45 AM
isn't this exactly OPPOSITE of what JO'B is looking for? Wouldn't someone who can be slow running the floor be detrimental to his "3 second rule"?

I don't know of any true center that can get down the floor in 3 seconds and set up under the basket. A slower center won't effect this little rule at all (which I feel is ridiculous btw). The idea is just that the guards will get out and across halfcourt within 3 seconds to open up possible fast break opportunities. Even if the rule wasn't in place, centers aren't usually the backbone to a fastbreak.

Smashed_Potato
06-02-2007, 12:47 AM
JO'B has to figure that out with his coaching staff its not to say that Bynum can't develop more and the game changes remember he is still raw.

TripleThreat
06-02-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't know of any true center that can get down the floor in 3 seconds and set up under the basket. A slower center won't effect this little rule at all (which I feel is ridiculous btw). The idea is just that the guards will get out and across halfcourt within 3 seconds to open up possible fast break opportunities. Even if the rule wasn't in place, centers aren't usually the backbone to a fastbreak.
this is true, but if your team is going to get out and run the floor, is there a need for a TRUE center?

Coop
06-02-2007, 12:55 AM
I don't think the plan is for us to run. I think JOb just wants the opportunity to run. If you have 2-3 guys getting across mid-court quickly, then you could have a chance to get an easy basket or two. If nothing is there, then you just slow it up and set up your offense (which is where the true center comes in). You have a good point though. This is something that TPTB are going to have to figure out before the season. What kind of players does O'Brien need to get the most of out his team? We'll just have to wait and see.

LG33
06-02-2007, 01:04 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6mOzQnwhqFE&mode=related&search=
JamaalStar will shoot him, no question about it...

TripleThreat
06-02-2007, 01:08 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6mOzQnwhqFE&mode=related&search=
JamaalStar will shoot him, no question about it...
did bynum just blurt out the title to his new book? (ala Keyshawn Johnson)

:D :D

Lord Helmet
06-02-2007, 01:11 AM
If the deal goes down you guys will be getting a future star unfortunately if Bynum stays Kobe goes because without Bynum the Lakers can't land a all-star believe it or not GM's view Bynum more then Odom and Odom is proven in some extent which is why the Lakers have no choice but to trade him.

Scouting Report:

Work ethic: Bynum plays hard but he can also lay low sometimes his lack of maturity is one of the reasons why he sometimes doesn't try. as he grows he will understand the game better he can be very good in the low-post.

it will take him 2-3 years until hes ready to become a force i think Bird will wait that long as long as long as the fans have patience.

Skills: good low-post player, a great shot-blocker in Minutes per game ratio/ as he grows his block shots per will rise up. he needs to develop alot of things still but hes young and hes hungry to be a all-star according to him.

Weakness: has a problem staying in the game but hes young and he makes dumb mistakes sometimes. can be slow running down the floor has a problem playing with teams like Suns, GS because speed kills his game. sometimes gets down because he does a mistake but with young players you will get that.

i hope you guys learned alot about him. if the deal happens you guys will get a special player.
Thank you for the report! :cool:

owl
06-02-2007, 08:03 AM
To fastbreak effectively you need to play some defense and a bigman
blocking shots won't hurt the fastbreak. No fastbreak set up the half court.

Hicks
06-02-2007, 10:46 AM
this is true, but if your team is going to get out and run the floor, is there a need for a TRUE center?

Well they aren't going to run on every play. And when they do, you don't need all 5 players to make a fastbreak. Think the Spurs; you don't see Tim running with all their breaks; it's Manu, Parker, and someone else.

Y2J
06-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Here's a 2-month old article from the Denver Post on Bynum....

http://www.denverpost.com/spears/ci_5618717

Bynum worth seeking out
<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post NBA Beat Reporter
<!--date-->Article Last Updated: 04/07/2007 11:22:37 PM MDT

<script language="JavaScript"> var requestedWidth = 0; </script>
<script language="JavaScript"> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </script>For anyone seeking Lakers' autographs Monday at the Pepsi Center, there is one player besides Kobe Bryant you need to pursue. No, it's not Lamar Odom or coach Phil Jackson, although those are good ones. Get your marker ready for "superstar center in the making" Andrew Bynum.
It might not be today. It might not be next season. But give it two or three years and he will be a force in the NBA.
"Bynum is developing extremely well," Bryant said recently. "He's a very smart kid. I think the hardest thing for him is to get ahold of the timing of the game, the speed of the game. But once he gets that (down), he'll be fine."
Instead of going to Connecticut out of St. Joseph's High (N.J.) in 2005, the 7-footer joined the last group of high schoolers eligible to enter the draft. The knock on the then-300-plus pounder was he needed to get in better shape and he lacked aggressiveness. The McDonald's All-American was selected 10th overall in the 2005 draft when he was 17. And on Nov. 2, 2005, he became the youngest player to suit up for an NBA game when he played against Denver at 18 years, 6 days.
Bynum played in 46 games his rookie season and never went to the NBADL. Instead, the teenager was connected at the hip of all-time scoring champion and Lakers legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to learn post moves.
"Kareem has meant a lot to me," Bynum said. "He's someone I can go talk to and ask about anything out there on the court. He's somebody who is just a personal coach for me. We work on my post moves every day. I just try to get better and better."
The highlight of Bynum's rookie season was Jan. 16, 2006, after he was dunked on by former Laker Shaquille O'Neal. Instead of backing down, Bynum spun away from O'Neal on the baseline to dunk on the next play and nearly got into a fight with the Miami superstar after purposely bumping into him.
"I just got mad and I wanted to make a good play back on him," Bynum said.
There is talk Bynum has the potential to be the next O'Neal, but the 19-year-old needs to get mad daily for that to happen. He is an athletic and chiseled 285-pounder who looks like a young Shaq. He has a 33-inch vertical leap, a 7-foot-3 wingspan and soft hands.
He is a 1980s throwback center with post moves that would make Hakeem Olajuwon and Kevin McHale proud. Say what you want about Yao Ming, Dwight Howard and Greg Oden, but physically Bynum could be the most dominant force in the NBA in three years.
"Everyone wants me to be more aggressive," Bynum said. "I'm probably too nice. It's probably just age and maturity. But you got to be a different person every time you step on the basketball court."
Three NBA scouts said if Bynum had gone to UConn he would have been the third pick in this year's draft behind Ohio State's Greg Oden and Texas' Kevin Durant, assuming they all came out together. That means NBA scouts love Bynum much more than heralded center prospects such as Georgetown's Roy Hibbert, Florida's Joakim Noah and Washington's Spencer Hawes.
"I always wonder what it would have been like to go to UConn," Bynum said.
Bynum is averaging 7.8 points on 55 percent shooting, 6.1 rebounds and 1.6 blocked shots in 22.5 minutes per game, along with 10 double-doubles. He has shown flashes of dominance but is far from consistent.
He had career highs of 16 rebounds and seven blocks Jan. 26 against Charlotte. His first career double-double Nov. 7 included a career-high 20 points, 14 rebounds and three blocks against Minnesota. And he had 19 points, 10 rebounds and six blocks Jan. 5 against Denver. But those games aren't the norm, and the Lakers have opted to start Kwame Brown.
The Lakers think so highly of Bynum they turned down a trade for New Jersey Nets all-star guard Jason Kidd this season. It will be interesting if Minnesota dangles superstar forward Kevin Garnett this summer to get Bynum. The Lakers and the rest of the basketball world think highly of Bynum. And if Bynum has a consistent nastiness to his game and lives up to his Shaq-sized potential, autograph-seekers will thank me for my recommendation.
"He can be a big-time all-star in this league," one longtime NBA scout said.

ABADays
06-02-2007, 11:56 AM
One can only hope!

By the way, has anyone noticed that we have changed draft philosophies? Our drafting of high school players hasn't worked out that well so now we just trade for them :D