PDA

View Full Version : something wrong with JO and Lakers in my view

sportsmusicxboxpacer
06-01-2007, 10:17 PM
If lakers are try get Jo and Kobe want be traded wouldnt that make JO face of Lakers and still in rebuilding phaze he doesnt want? and news out there on realgm.com saying that new york are geting pieces ready to get kobe so if kobe go New York wouldnt Jo stay here till he can opt out then join Kincks?? :hmm::confused::censored:

Oneal07
06-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Why would JO go to the KNicks? I don't understand why people would think that lol

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Why would JO go to the KNicks? I don't understand why people would think that lol

Are you serious? He practically sees Isiah as a surrogate father.

ajbry
06-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Don't jump to conclusions or anything. No transactions have taken place and for all we know, nothing is going to happen.

I definitely think the end result will be JO in L.A. with Kobe. I ain't going to assume the Lakers would get rid of Kobe and get JO, that wouldn't make any damn sense.

Coop
06-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Since I really didnt understand anything you said, I think this is how the whole Kobe situation more or less has gone down.

LA: I don't think we can bring anyone in for you. Why dont you just let our young guys develop and we'll turn into a good team.

Kobe: I'm the best player in the world. I want to be traded.

LA: Kobe we're sorry. We'll go get JO

Kobe: Thanks guys, I want to retire a Laker.

The Lakers are only worried about making Kobe happy. There's no way they will trade for Jermaine and then turn around and deal Kobe. Also, anything you EVER see about the knicks that involves rumors should not be given the time of day. I don't believe anything about NY until something actually happens.

Oneal07
06-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Don't jump to conclusions or anything. No transactions have taken place and for all we know, nothing is going to happen.

I definitely think the end result will be JO in L.A. with Kobe. I ain't going to assume the Lakers would get rid of Kobe and get JO, that wouldn't make any damn sense.

To think about it. . .How many trades recently made by Larry Bird have been in the media. They've always been shocking trades, like where did this come from. never know, JO might not even be going anywhere

able
06-02-2007, 06:31 AM
JO only goes if JO wants to go, he might not have a no trade clause, but his opt-out clause for the end of the coming season is worth just as much, what will the "receiving" team do if Tellum tells them discretely that JO does not like the trade and will opt-out at the end of the season ?

I am sure that a lot is riding on the conversations JO will have with O'Brien and what else may be planned, but reading the SI Bird interview I have a feeling he might stay, which IMO would be by far the best decision LB has made since arriving in the front office.

wjs
06-02-2007, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=able;556785]JO only goes if JO wants to go, he might not have a no trade clause, but his opt-out clause for the end of the coming season is worth just as much, what will the "receiving" team do if Tellum tells them discretely that JO does not like the trade and will opt-out at the end of the season ?

Interesting points.

Regarding the opt-out, Jermaine is overpaid and I seriously doubt he walks away from the last years of his max contract, especially if the trade makes him a Kobe Laker.

JO could really flourish in LA; however, if LA trades away Bynum, Odom, and Brown -- all their big men -- how happy will JO be with that?

Tom White
06-02-2007, 09:28 AM
JO only goes if JO wants to go, he might not have a no trade clause, but his opt-out clause for the end of the coming season is worth just as much, what will the "receiving" team do if Tellum tells them discretely that JO does not like the trade and will opt-out at the end of the season ?

And if JO does this, just which team is going to pay him 20+million bucks a year?

It would be absolutely goofy for JO to back out of that kind of money. Now, if he decided to leave his current team (whomever that might be at the time) after his contract expires, that is a different story. Whatever new contract he would then receive probably will not match what he is making now, but that is even more reason for him to not turn down the big bucks remaining on his current deal.

ABADays
06-02-2007, 12:59 PM
How much freaking money does New York have to spend for crying out loud? Seems like they never run out of spending options. Good Lord, the weight of the money alone is the reason this franchise has sunk.

able
06-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Most of you should start getting of the notion of what JO makes being an exception, there lists over payers being (percentage wise) overpaid a hell of a lot worse, IF you considere him overpaid.
secondly it can be financially advantageous to him to "opt out" unlike what you are saying.

When his contract ends he'll be 32, and have 14 years in the league, a 2 year contract may be the best he can get then, or 3, however next year he can sign for the max, and at VERY good money, also he can get traded (if he allows it) after next y ear and be "extended" for more, which quite a few teams will be willing to pay for a perennial All Star.

We on the other hand are once again looking at a "talented" team like we did in 2K and see where that got us.........

ajbry
06-02-2007, 01:40 PM
To think about it. . .How many trades recently made by Larry Bird have been in the media. They've always been shocking trades, like where did this come from. never know, JO might not even be going anywhere

All of the shocking trades have crippled this franchise.

For this particular instance, literally all signs are pointing to JO heading to L.A.

Of course there's definitely a possibility it ain't going to happen, but as of now it seems far enough along where we should expect it yet still stay a little bit cautious.

I hope Larry knows what he's doing this time.

Naptown_Seth
06-02-2007, 01:50 PM

I agree. However I do think the Camby rumor was a response to an earlier JO to LA proposal being turned down. I also think Kobe's attitude is directly due to those JO negotiations going up and down. He's probably getting feedback from an inside contact (or agent connection) that it's on then off again, and when it's been off he's flipped out and been frustrated that it isn't happening. I'm guessing his patience level is pretty low.

The fact that they are negotiating doesn't mean either side will finally work it out. Maybe they just refuse to lose Bynum and the Pacers refuse to go without him. That could eventually be a deal breaker.

Just like with Al and plenty of other trades, there is the interest point and then there is the pull the trigger point. I wouldn't put too much into the fact that we are hearing all sorts of different rumors. Heck, that's not just reporting on the changing state of minds in the deal, it's part of the dealing itself (using the press) too.

Doesn't bother me at all, I love JO as a Pacer. I only accept that he might have to be traded, but I'll hate him leaving if he is.

ajbry
06-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Yup, it seems pretty feasible at this point that the Lakers are using these Camby "discussions" as leverage to force the Pacers hand.

NuffSaid
06-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Since I really didnt understand anything you said, I think this is how the whole Kobe situation more or less has gone down.

LA: I don't think we can bring anyone in for you. Why dont you just let our young guys develop and we'll turn into a good team.

Kobe: I'm the best player in the world. I want to be traded.

LA: Kobe we're sorry. We'll go get JO

Kobe: Thanks guys, I want to retire a Laker.

The Lakers are only worried about making Kobe happy. There's no way they will trade for Jermaine and then turn around and deal Kobe.
Actually, the way Kobe eludes to Laker's mgmt being liars, I can see something like that actually happening.

As to the issue of JO going to the Lakers as they rebuild, that's the exact same question I asked over on RATS. (You sure you haven't been poking around over there? I'll let U have this one over here though. :laugh: ) For all the stink JO made about rebuilding and going younger here, seems there are more youngsters on the Lakers roster than there are here. Plus, RC's gone. So, that means the restrictions are off. Plus, Lakers' mgmt seems to be in more of a shambles than the Pacers. Seems he has more to gain by staying put than by moving.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-02-2007, 06:02 PM
right JO plays with kobe...great! but your going to the damn west...all the talent is out west and i'm not one to think the lakers could beat the WARRIORS in a 7 game series with JO+Kobe+WHO?

speakout4
06-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Yup, it seems pretty feasible at this point that the Lakers are using these Camby "discussions" as leverage to force the Pacers hand.
Very likely they are but this won't mollify Kobe because Camby is not JO caliber and a short term fix. If they got Camby and not JO, Kobe will blow his top again. Camby is mid-30s and is not the difference maker that kobe wants.
I too believe JO is going to LA which means that tinsley stays a pacer for the coming season. The best trade is JO and Harrison for Odom ,Bynum and the LA pick. After this trade we have nothing to offer for a up-grade at the pg so we wait until this draft or the next one.

I would prefer a trade with Boston and raiding their pantry of young players but Ainge is too smart and does not have a superstar forcing his hand.