PDA

View Full Version : If we acquire Bynum...

Trader Joe
06-01-2007, 07:53 PM
We have to hire a big man coach IMO. It is a complete necessity. I was talking to Jerm about this online and we both agreed that Kareem probably won't leave the Lakers for Indiana. I suggested that if Dale Davis were to retire that we go after him. Jerm suggested Charles Oakley. I would be quite happy with either one. We certainly wouldn't have our big men getting pushed around in the paint anymore.

Swingman
06-01-2007, 07:57 PM
I agree but hopefully we can go after an experienced big man coach. Someone that has a history of making big men great. Hopefully someone that carries round a little book with the secret to getting the most from the post.

Tom White
06-01-2007, 08:04 PM
We have to hire a big man coach IMO. It is a complete necessity. I was talking to Jerm about this online and we both agreed that Kareem probably won't leave the Lakers for Indiana. I suggested that if Dale Davis were to retire that we go after him. Jerm suggested Charles Oakley. I would be quite happy with either one. We certainly wouldn't have our big men getting pushed around in the paint anymore.

Davis or Oakley might be capable of helping teach defense and rebounding, but I would not want either of them schooling our bigs on offensive moves.

(puts on Groucho Marx disquise) And believe me, I've seen some OFFENSIVE moves.

avoidingtheclowns
06-01-2007, 08:08 PM
oakley would be there to toughen them up. i'd love oakley to turn ike into a more quiet barkley. ike already has the offensive skills he just needs to be more aggressive and tougher. harrison isn't bad offensively its mental and on the defensive end that he needs work on. bynum gets into foul trouble way too easliy. oakley could be a good fit.

another thought is patrick ewing. hakeem has spent lots of time with okafor the last few offseasons. i'm trying to think of big-man coach specific people, having trouble thinking of any. what about david robinson, what's he doing?

PR07
06-01-2007, 08:13 PM
The Big Smooth?

Mr.ThunderMakeR
06-01-2007, 08:16 PM
I said this when we got Harrison. I said this when we got Ike. If we get Bynum, Ill say it again. Will it happen? Im starting to doubt TPTB would be that smart.

Who? I dont know...Who was it that helped Yao develop? Was it Ewing? Whoever it was, they did a pretty good job.

Evan_The_Dude
06-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Patrick Ewing is available. He left the Rockets last season. Another name would be Antonio Davis. Doesn't he still have some of his family here?

Isaac
06-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I've been wanting Patrick Ewing for David Harrison for awhile now. After we acquired Diogu, I really thought we should get a big man coach. If we get Bynum our success for the next 10 years will be leaning heavily on Diogu and Bynum breaking out. We have to get anybody and everybody we can to make sure that happens.

Sollozzo
06-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Patrick Ewing is available. He left the Rockets last season. Another name would be Antonio Davis. Doesn't he still have some of his family here?

Patrick Ewing would NEVER come to Indiana.

Sollozzo
06-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I said this when we got Harrison. I said this when we got Ike. If we get Bynum, Ill say it again. Will it happen? Im starting to doubt TPTB would be that smart.

Who? I dont know...Who was it that helped Yao develop? Was it Ewing? Whoever it was, they did a pretty good job.

How in the world would they have got a big man coach for Harrison? Who outside of Pacer nation gives a damn at all about Harrison? All of the former great big men would view him as some lazy player taken with the last pick in the first round to ride the pine.

Houston got a big man coach because they had just drafted one of the most hyped players ever, someone that most predicted would become a dominant NBA center. Anyone of the likes of Patrick would probably die laughing if they were asked to tutor DAVID HARRISON.

This has been my biggest pet peeve over the past few years. People acting like the Pacers should get a big man coach for Harrison, as if there were someone would actually want to to it. I'm sure most would respond with "who?" if asked.

If the Pacers get Bynam, then they might actually have a player that they spend time finding a tutor for, and who would actually draw some possible interest.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
06-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Well obviously Harrison alone isnt worth going after someone like Ewing. But just about ANY former NBA big man would have been able to teach him alot about footwork and other fundamentals that he wasnt gonna learn from his current teammates.

Now Harrison AND Ike (and possibly Bynum) deffinitely warrants going after someone like Ewing. Its not like there are tons of opportunities for big man coaches in the NBA, Im sure we could lure someone to Indiana.

avoidingtheclowns
06-01-2007, 08:49 PM
well this year we started out with josh powell too. and foster could have used a big offensive coach. maybe with a bigman coach JO wouldn't consistenty drift out to 15' instead of going to the block

OTD
06-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Is Mel Daniels still with the Pacers. Why not have him teach the big men, he sure knew his way in the ABA.

ABADays
06-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Is Mel Daniels still with the Pacers. Why not have him teach the big men, he sure knew his way in the ABA.

I can't remember where and I can't verify its validity but I know I read somewhere where Mel had a slight stroke or some kind of medical problem .

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Oak would be great, but isn't he still a notorious partier? I'm afraid Tins and Quis would have a new partner in crime.

Trader Joe
06-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Oak would be great, but isn't he still a notorious partier? I'm afraid Tins and Quis would have a new partner in crime.

At least our big man would kick *** and take names. I could care less what goes on off the court as long as you bring it every night on the court.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
06-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Oakley or even Dale Davis would be fine, but Id prefer someone who could teach them a little more on the offensive side.

Trader Joe
06-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Oakley or even Dale Davis would be fine, but Id prefer someone who could teach them a little more on the offensive side.

The way I see it both Bynum and Ike are already fairly polished offensive players. Get them some toughness and now we are talking.

Isaac
06-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Really the main thing Bynum, Ike and Harrison need is someone to teach them how to not commit fouls. That will be the problem with a Bynum/Ike frontline next year if that happens. We will be bringing in our bench early in games often because of foul trouble.