PDA

View Full Version : Lakers interested in Camby?

Tom White
06-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Tried to do a link to this, but messed up, so I copied the article.

Lakers move to soothe Kobe

01:03 AM PDT on Friday, June 1, 2007

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

Video: Broderick Turner shares his insight on Kobe Bryant

Survey: Should the Lakers trade Kobe Bryant?

Thursday was a quiet day in the Lakers' kingdom, and finally a peaceful one in Kobe Bryant's world, which was turned upside down during a four-day period of interviews ripping the organization.

The Lakers began taking steps towards healing those wounds when owner Jerry Buss reached out to Bryant before leaving for a trip to China, to assure his disgruntled star that he and the rest of Lakers management are committed to him and intent on making improvements.

"I talked with Kobe this morning and assured him that I share his frustration, and more importantly, I assured him that we will continue to pursue every avenue possible to improve our team with him as the cornerstone," Buss said in a statement. "I told him that we will keep him apprised of our progress, and we agreed that we will talk again in the very near future."

Bryant's frustration reached a boiling point Wednesday when he demanded to be traded. Then Bryant rescinded that demand later in the day, saying, "I don't want to go nowhere. I want to stay here."

As Bryant vented, he said no one from the Lakers called him and that he wanted to hear from Buss.

But Buss was dealing with his own problems. The 74-year-old was arrested early Tuesday for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol. The California Highway Patrol reported that Buss drove his car the wrong way on a street in an unincorporated section of Carlsbad and was taken into custody shortly before 1 a.m. Tuesday. Buss was released around 10:30 a.m. that day.

Bryant, frustrated by another disappointing season, boiled over after being recently informed by Coach Phil Jackson that the Lakers were on a five-year rebuilding plan.

Bryant felt misled. When he signed his seven-year, $136 million extension during the summer of 2004, he said Buss told him that the Lakers would do what it takes to remain an elite team.

The Lakers already have been trying to appease Bryant, who has four years and $88.59 million left on his contract.

According to sources close to the team, the Lakers called Denver to see about the availability of center Marcus Camby, the defensive player of the year who will make $9 million next season and has three years and $26.65 million left on his contract.

Sources also said Indiana called the Lakers to gauge their interest in former All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal, who will make $19 million next season and still has three years and $64.1 million left on his deal.
Neither deal is imminent, sources said.

Lakers public relations director John Black said the team received more than 500 e-mails from season-ticket holders, and that more than 90 percent said to keep Bryant.

Reach Broderick Turner at bturner@PE.com

bread
06-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't think Camby is who Kobe had in mind when he said he wanted changes. He will go in to rage mode if that happens.

RWB
06-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Sounds like some posturing going on to let the Ps know there are other big men available.

bread
06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
The Lakers would be better off keeping Bynum than getting Camby. Total smokescreen.

Roaming Gnome
06-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Sounds like some posturing going on to let the Ps know there are other big men available.

But, Is Camby available?

Camby is pretty cheap for the production that the Nuggets are getting out of him. I just don't see the Nugs giving Camby away for less then what we are asking.

:idea: You know what?

By the way mgmt. has been working since the Al Harrington trade has been very quiet on moves. We didn't hear anything about the G.S. trade and the O'brien trade was totally off the radar. So, why are we convinced that this whole Laker deal isn't just a smoke screen or posturing in another deal that we don't know about. :twocents:

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 05:02 PM

Come on Gnome, you know the second Camby put on a Pacer uniform every bone in his body would shatter like Sam Jackson in Unbreakable.

CableKC
06-01-2007, 05:26 PM
But, Is Camby available?

Camby is pretty cheap for the production that the Nuggets are getting out of him. I just don't see the Nugs giving Camby away for less then what we are asking.

By the way mgmt. has been working since the Al Harrington trade has been very quiet on moves. We didn't hear anything about the G.S. trade and the O'brien trade was totally off the radar. So, why are we convinced that this whole Laker deal isn't just a smoke screen or posturing in another deal that we don't know about. :twocents:
When the Nuggets pulled the trigger on the AI Deal.....they essentially forced themselves into a corner with 4 huge long term contracts that are between 11 to 20 mil a year for ( at least ) the next 3 seasons. I think that they are really looking to move Camby for an Expiring Contract and some decent prospect.

A Camby + filler for Kwame+Bynum could help them out in the long run. I don't think that it will put the Lakers over the hump.....but it will give them a reliable defensive presense inside while giving them a reliable scoring 3rd/4th scoring option Big Man that can easily give the team a double-double every night.

If either team would consider it.....which they may not cuz both are in the same Conference......then it could make a difference for the Lakers. Not a significant one...but Camby is a decent Center.

CableKC
06-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Come on Gnome, you know the second Camby put on a Pacer uniform every bone in his body would shatter like Sam Jackson in Unbreakable.
Where is MagicRat and his photoshop skills when we need it?

We would need one for Tinsley and Camby :buddies:

Anthem
06-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Should have known he'd be the villain... the kids used to call him "Mr. Glass."

Will Galen
06-01-2007, 08:00 PM

They might be trying to get Camby for Kwame's expiring contract. Then they do the Pacer trade and have a lineup of;

F JO
F Walton
C Camby
G Kobe
G Farmar

Swingman
06-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Not a bad lineup Will but they can't do our trade without giving us Kwame. He's the only way they can match salaries without Radmon and we shouldn't take Radmon off their hands. I can't see them getting both Camby and Oneal.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
06-01-2007, 08:47 PM
You know what?

By the way mgmt. has been working since the Al Harrington trade has been very quiet on moves. We didn't hear anything about the G.S. trade and the O'brien trade was totally off the radar. So, why are we convinced that this whole Laker deal isn't just a smoke screen or posturing in another deal that we don't know about. :twocents:You know what? Im starting to agree. We are almost always completely wrong about the moves TPTB are gonna make and something ends up coming out of nowhere when we least expect it(see GS trade).

Heres my prediction (and hope): these LA trade rumors will slowly die out and come draft night TPTB will throw down some blockbuster trade involving JO, but NOT the Lakers.

Naptown_Seth
06-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Neither deal is imminent, sources said.
This is the part that should be in bold. It goes completely against Vescey "it's basically done already" reporting from his own "sources". Someone's sources are obviously wrong at this point.