PDA

View Full Version : How do you see the current Pacers fitting in under Jim O'Brien?

Young
06-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Darrell Armstrong
I think that OB will love him.

Maceo Baston
From the way it sounds, if Maceo stays, and I hope he does, he should be a good fit in OB's defenseive scheme.

Marquis Daniels
He might be the Pacer that benefits the most from having OB here. If I remember right OB used Antoine Walker's ball handling skills quite a bit and I expect him to do the same with MD.

Ike Diogu
I don't know how well that OB developes young players. I don't think he has a problem playing them, if they are going to help the team win, but as far as working with them and stuff I don't know how well he does that. At the very least Ike should improve a great deal on the defenseive end.

Mike Dunleavy
He should be much better as well. If he could just hit his shots consistantly he would be alright. Hopefully he can play better under OB.

Jeff Foster
I think Foster should continue to grab a lot of rebounds and play good defense. The defense that this team will be playing should suit Foster well.

Danny Granger
I don't know that OB is a good coach for DG. DG is not a 3 point shooter, he is pretty decent from there but I fear that OB will have DG shooting 3s way to much. With DG's size and athletic ability he should be inside the 3 point line.

Orien Greene
If he stays on the roster he should be a good fit on the defensive side. Not the guy you want chucking 3 pointers though.

David Harrison
Hopefully OB and Dick Harter can help David with his foul problems because DH can score in the paint.

Rawle Marshall
I don't know that Rawle will be on the team next year but if he is maybe he will be better under OB. Rawle is not a shooter though. Hopefully OB can use him well though.

Keith McLeod
I don't know, is Keith a good fit under OB? He isn't a great 3 point shooter. I could see us bringing in Bremer or some long range bomber.

Troy Murphy
He better bring his jump shot next year and he better start grabing more rebounds too. We will see how well that works when he is standing outside the 3 point line.

Jermaine O'Neal
I don't know that Jermaine is a good fit in OB's defensive scheme but we might see. Who knows.

Jamaal Tinsley
I think that along with Marquis Tinsley could really play well under OB. Tinsley has talent and hopefully with OB seeming a little more loose than Rick this will help Jamaal a lot.

Shawne Williams
Like I said before, I don't know how OB developes young talent but the thing I am worried about is OB turning Shawne into a chucker, he better not.

All in all I think we have some players that could fit in well with OB and some that may not. I believe we do need to still get a shooting guard though.

Tom White
06-01-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure how any particular players will progress/regress under O'Brien. The only thing I AM sure of is that with a coach now in place TPTB are in a better position to make personnel decisions based on O'Brien's offensive and defensive schemes.

My guess is that TPTB and O'Brien will be looking at a lot of tapes from the past couple of years to determine just who fits and who does not, and try to make player moves based (in part) on that.

Young
06-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah that's all true.

Lets say that Tinsley gets included in the Lakers trade, I am wondering if Mo Williams becomes our target. He seems like the type of point guard that OB would love to have. Mo is not exactly my first choice as I think he is just different from Tinsley but not really better. But hey I won't be ****ed if we get Mo.

Anthem
06-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know about offense, but with Dick Harter here Jermaine could be an all-defensive team player,

Evan_The_Dude
06-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I think Shawne, Danny, Dunleavy, McLeod, Daniels, Foster, and Jermaine (if he's still here) fit and benefit the most from playing under O'Brien.

Shawne because of his fearlessness of taking shots and going to the basket. Carlisle picked up on this lateer on, and still didn't play him enough minutes IMO. I think O'Brien will see Shawne's abilities and will put him in a larger role than what he had at the end of the season.

Danny might just become a defensive beast with Obie [I'm tired of typing O'Brien] and Harter on board. I hope he's working on his offensive game -- mainly his ball handling, and I hope he shows the aggression he showed at the end of last season when he was going to the basket instead of settling for jumpers. But on the defensive side, we all know he's decent, but needs some fine tuning to become very good/great. Obie and Harter should help him get to a much higher level defensively.

Dunleavy because of his all-around game. He was rebounding extremely well from his position on the floor. His ball handling ability is key for a team that wants to have a "Three second rule". He's not a shooter, but I think he's damn good at getting to the basket, and he can get pretty hot from the 20' range. I didn't think he was a bad defender either. He can improve his defense under Obie/Harter and be a much more effective player. I wouldn't be surprised or opposed to seeing him play a lot of point guard this season. One thing I will say that I've said in the past: Dunleavy's skill set would be ideal for the Triangle Offense, and/or Jerry Sloan's offense.

Jermaine because of team defense. If the entire team is on the same page defensively, he won't have to bust his *** there like he did this past season. Jermaine having a lot more help means that he won't be as tired, he'll be healthier, and he'll be more effective on both ends of the floor. If we keep him, he could very well have his best overall season without it actually looking that way on the stat sheet.

I'm a little higher on McLeod than a lot of people. I think he's a damn good backup PG. I think he's actually better than AJ. He's a guy that plays with heart and isn't afraid to step up when it's necessary. Other than that I don't have any real reason to say he'd fit here with Obie. He just seems like an Obie type of player.

We all know what Daniels is capable of doing. Because of his style of play, I think he's an easy fit with ANY team in ANY system. There's no more to say about him.

Foster because like Daniels he can fit in with anybody.

pwee31
06-01-2007, 04:23 PM
We need these threads merged. there's another one that asks pretty much the same thing

indyman37
06-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Players that benefit most: Maceo, Quis, Ike, Dunleavy, Granger, Shawne

Maceo- Maceo is an athletic freak. If this "3 second" principle works like I am picturing it, there will be many more opportunities for Baston to get easy fast break points.

Quis- In his interview with the IS, O'Brien said he wants to use Quis at point. He will have the chance to work against smaller guards and create his own shot more. This also allows us to have a defender at the PG spot.

Ike- Everyone saying our young talent won't be developed needs to chill out. Ike can run. For God's sake he played in Golden State for 2 years. He will do fine in Jim's system and I believe he will be able to get easy points (but not as many) as Maceo.

Dunleavy- He's another GS guy, he can run. He does well in the open court, and he can shoot threes (hopefully more efficiently next year though). He will be able to take advantage of one-on-one opportunities around the three point line.

Granger- O'Brien said, in the IS article, that he was especially excited about Danny. He thinks he can shoot the three and he said he wants to get him in one-on-one situations a lot more in games. If Jim thinks he'll work, I assume he wil.

Shawne- He will get to shoot almost as many threes as he wants. And thankfully, he will make a lot of them. He is long and athletic and I just see him excelling under O'Brien.

Now two players that I think can do well under O'Brien are O'Neal and Murphy. As said in many posts before me, JO has had his best years in a fluid offense. This way, he won't have to just have the ball thrown into him down low to try and get a bucket. After a while, that causes a lot of wear-and-tear. Thats probably why he has been shooting more and more jump shots the last few years. But I'm not sure how well the 3 second thing will work for him. Murphy is just another GS guy. I'm not that high on Murphy but I guess he may be able to get a couple of fast break points or something.

Now when I mention the 3 second policy, as I like to call it, don't think that I think it's going to make us a run-and-gun team. I know its just to get the ball across half court, but I believe it will create more opportunities for easy points and the more athletic players will be able to take advantage of it.

Will Galen
06-01-2007, 05:42 PM
People might as well speculate on how Odom and Bynum would do under O'B too.

By the way, we might as well short Obie, to O'B.

pwee31
06-01-2007, 05:54 PM
People might as well speculate on how Odom and Bynum would do under O'B too.

By the way, we might as well short Obie, to O'B.

Someone started JOb and I think it's catchy! It's like work=job, and it's also JO like Jermaine, but with the b for Brien. I'm sure I didn't have to explain that, but it was fun and confusing for me! :D

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Obie makes me think of Obi-Wan, so I'm just gonna call him Ben.

Trader Joe
06-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Obie makes me think of Obi-Wan, so I'm just gonna call him Ben.

How about O'Beezy...:D

avoidingtheclowns
06-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah that's all true.

Lets say that Tinsley gets included in the Lakers trade, I am wondering if Mo Williams becomes our target. He seems like the type of point guard that OB would love to have. Mo is not exactly my first choice as I think he is just different from Tinsley but not really better. But hey I won't be ****ed if we get Mo.

mo is one thought. another i had was chucky atkins.

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 09:05 PM
How about O'Beezy...:D

Well, I just read somebody refering to him as Job, and I hate it. I end up reading it as in Book of Job, which, considering the last 3 years, seems like just asking for trouble.

Anthem
06-01-2007, 10:55 PM
O'Brizzle?

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 11:13 PM
O'Brizzle?

And now I just had a flash of Snoop Dogg replacing Reb Porter. Thanks for the nightmares I'll have tonight.

Anthem
06-02-2007, 12:09 AM
And now I just had a flash of Snoop Dogg replacing Reb Porter. Thanks for the nightmares I'll have tonight.
I thought of all of these things that would be funny for Snoop to say if he had Reb's job, but none of them come across well in type.

grace
06-02-2007, 12:52 AM
As for what we call the coach here's a novel idea--how 'bout Jim?

Kegboy
06-02-2007, 10:19 AM
As for what we call the coach here's a novel idea--how 'bout Jim?

Maybe in time. The problem is, nobody knows him well enough for first-name basis. If somebody says Jim, my first thought is Jim Harbaugh.

grace
06-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Every time I see "Obie" my slightly dyslexic mind sees "Opie". Opie makes me think of Howdy Dody. When JIM does something I don't like I'm going to think he's a marionette and Larry is pulling the strings.

I suppose I could just change my avatar to the picture Hicks has and have the caption read "Just call me Jim."

Hicks
06-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Chief.

diamonddave00
06-02-2007, 10:31 AM
If he is here Troy Murphy will play a lot more than most think. He's a perfect fit for O'Brien's offense 3point shooting big man . Look at O'Briens's Celtics his big man (starting center Raef LaFrenz) and Walter McCarty -Antione Walker were told if you have an open 3 take it.

LaFrenz part in offense was trail on break and shoot the 3 when your defender drops into the paint. That role fits Murphy to a tee.The fact both are 6'11 lefties is even more similarities , both are known for being soft inside but grab on average 7-9 rebounds a night.

Jeff Foster is the one who may see his playing time cut back in my opinion. We will see but if he's here look for Murphy to play a bigger role on offense than you might think.

Hicks
06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Chief.

http://www.able-towers.com/%7Ehicks/chief_jim_obrien.jpg

grace
06-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Chief.

Dyslexic=Chef

http://media.npr.org/blog/mar/chef200.jpg

Kegboy
06-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Howdy Children.

Kegboy
06-02-2007, 12:41 PM
http://www.able-towers.com/%7Ehicks/chief_jim_obrien.jpg

No, that's Morris O'Brian on 24, who I keep calling "Miles". Thankfully Chloe was well enough established that I don't call her "Keiko", though if they name their kid "Molly", all bets are off.

Haggard
06-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't know about offense, but with Dick Harter here Jermaine could be an all-defensive team player,

my thoughts exactly when I read this post

Young
06-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Just getting some random information on OB. Didn't want to start a new thread so I decided to put it here.

Under OB Antoine Walker had some great seasons. He averaged 20, 8, and 5 throughout OB's tenure as his coach. Could OB have that same impact on Odom's game? I mean, Walker put up some good stats when he didn't play under OB but I believe his best ball was played under OB.

In 01-02 in O'Brien's first full season was the Celtic's head coach the Celtics finished 5th in fewest turnovers per game and first in steals per game. Those are big time stats when you want to speed up the tempo and shoot a lot of threes.

Looking at the way that team was set up you would actually think they would be among the league leaders in turnovers and worst in steals.

Battie, Walker, Williams, Pierce, and Kenny Anderson starting with Rodney Rogers, Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Erick Strickland, and Vitaly Potapkenko coming off the bench. You have to give OB credit for coaching that team as well as he did. Just a solid group of veterans around Pierce and Walker. They were beat out by the New Jersey Nets in the Eastern Conference Finals.

In 02-03 the Celtics were 4th in steals and 7th in TOs per game. They led the league in 3 pointers made and attempted. They lost to the Nets in the Eastern Conference Semi Finals.

In 02-03 they had almost the same team except they had JR Bremer and Vin Baker instead of Kenny Anderson and Vital P.

In 03-04, Danny Ainge's first season as a head coach, the Celtics were around .500 and O'Brien re-signed. They finished 14-22 under intern coach John Carroll. (This team was much different since Ainge took over.)

I can't find much on OB's one season in Philadelphia.

I do like that this team is likely to not turn the ball over much under OB and get a lot of steals. That is very important because from the way it sounds we are going to play a little Grinnell style basketball ala run and gun.

Unclebuck
06-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Rommie - one reason why OB's teams didn't turn the ball over is because they didn't pass the ball very much. Go back and look at the asissts for his teams - I don't know the exact rankings, but they have to be near the bottom of the league. OB is a huge believer in getting the ball to his best offensive players and giving them the freedom to work. The role players will get their offense from the star players - no equal opportunity offense. Foster won't be encouraged to shoot, nor will the ball end up in his hands a lot.

Besides that I could see a lot of the offense run through Daniels and Dunleavy. I worry about how Ike will do in the defensive system as it is a bit complicated to learn at least initially - although it is the sameevery game, no matter who the opponent is