PDA

View Full Version : We Need Chauncey Billups...

OnlyPacersLeft
06-01-2007, 02:18 PM
add him to this current team and we are deff cooking! keep JO...Our offensive threat would be billups jo and granger...not bad

Trader Joe
06-01-2007, 02:19 PM
How do we go about getting this Chauncey Billups you speak of?

Kstat
06-01-2007, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't mind Dwight Howard...

Robobtowncolt
06-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I've heard this Lebron James might be a good player someday....

Shade
06-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I've heard this Lebron James might be a good player someday....

Nah, all hype. He's gonna be a bum.

Shade
06-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't mind Dwight Howard...

Good call. :chuckle:

Young
06-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah there is no way we can get Billups unless it is a sign and trade but why the Pistons would let Billups go to a division rival and what we even have they would take is unknown.

On top of that I don't think Jermaine is here next here and I don't think that Billups is worth the money to us that he will be given. Is he worth it to the Pistons? Yes but not to us because he is not a part of our current team and to me he is not a big time difference makers ala Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant.

wooolus
06-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Onlypacerleft, could you buy me some of the drugs you used in the last few days?

OnlyPacersLeft
06-01-2007, 02:48 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh woolus!
I'm just thinking of all the fun games of watching 20 pt blowouts...and JUST WHEN I DECIDED I'D BUY LEAGUE PASS SO I COULD SEE THE PACERS SINCE I DON'T LIVE IN INDY...THIS HAPPENS. YAY

Trader Joe
06-01-2007, 02:49 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh woolus!
I'm just thinking of all the fun games of watching 20 pt blowouts...and JUST WHEN I DECIDED I'D BUY LEAGUE PASS SO I COULD SEE THE PACERS SINCE I DON'T LIVE IN INDY...THIS HAPPENS. YAY

Dude seriously you seem like you are wound a little tight.

FlavaDave
06-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Tinsley + Raw Marshall should do it. Throw in Murphy to sweeten the pot (and make salaries match).

Shade
06-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Dude seriously you seem like you are wound a little tight.

I think all those headbands and wristbands are cutting off his circulation. :chuckle:

I kid because I love. :-p

Shade
06-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Tinsley + Raw Marshall should do it. Throw in Murphy to sweeten the pot (and make salaries match).

I can't wait for the Dunleavy/Foster/Harrison/Greene deal for Rip/Prince deal to go down, either.

JO
Ike/Baston
Prince/Granger/Williams
Rip/Quis
Billups/McLeod/Army

:lol:

Anthem
06-01-2007, 03:00 PM
What? Shawne Williams in the third string? :blasphemy:

FlavaDave
06-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I can't wait for the Dunleavy/Foster/Harrison/Greene deal for Rip/Prince deal to go down, either.

JO
Ike/Baston
Prince/Granger/Williams
Rip/Quis
Billups/McLeod/Army

:lol:

Then trade Quis, Baston, Williams, and a future lottery-protected first to Portland for Aldridge and the #1 pick.

And then trade the city of Indianapolis for Manhattan and Brooklyn.

And then pick up the dancing banana smiley :dance: off waivers to backup the PG position.

And hire Thunderbird14whatever as assistant (to the) head coach.

Y2J
06-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Let's just do this whole rebuilding thing the right way (the Jazz/Spurs/Cavs/Bulls way) and stop going for quick fixes. Besides, unless JO is involved (which would make bringing in Billups pointless) we dont have what it takes to get the job done.

FlavaDave
06-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Let's just do this whole rebuilding thing the right way (the Jazz/Spurs/Cavs/Bulls way) and stop going for quick fixes. Besides, unless JO is involved (which would make bringing in Billups pointless) we dont have what it takes to get the job done.

The Cavs and Spurs got lucky in the draft. The Cavs tanked for the best chance, the Spurs had a horrific injury season and leapfrogged several teams.

The Jazz and Bulls watched a pair of Hall of Fame players retire and had 3-4 solid drafts coupled with a big free-agent signing.

Which do you propose we follow?

We could follow the Cavs and trade away JO for nothing so that we suck. We could hire the Mafia to injure our players to replicate the Spurs.

We could also trade Murphy/Dunleavy/Tinsley for as many expiring contracts as possible, while letting JO walk. Suck for five years, make solid draft picks, and sign an All-Star in free agency like the Jazz/Bulls.

I don't know if I would quite recommend any of these, but I'm just laying it out there.

Jermaniac
06-01-2007, 03:50 PM
What are we going to sign him with? Hopes and dreams?

And there is no way in hell you could be 26 years old. 14 years old max. Dude posts like he just left The Carter and got a whole bunch of base.

Y2J
06-01-2007, 04:09 PM
The Cavs and Spurs got lucky in the draft. The Cavs tanked for the best chance, the Spurs had a horrific injury season and leapfrogged several teams.

The Jazz and Bulls watched a pair of Hall of Fame players retire and had 3-4 solid drafts coupled with a big free-agent signing.

Which do you propose we follow?

We could follow the Cavs and trade away JO for nothing so that we suck. We could hire the Mafia to injure our players to replicate the Spurs.

We could also trade Murphy/Dunleavy/Tinsley for as many expiring contracts as possible, while letting JO walk. Suck for five years, make solid draft picks, and sign an All-Star in free agency like the Jazz/Bulls.

I don't know if I would quite recommend any of these, but I'm just laying it out there.

All teams rebuilt via the draft, and a lesser extent, free agency. That's what I suggest the Pacers do.

Spurs (Duncan, Parker, Manu - DRAFTED)
Jazz (Williams, AK-47 - DRAFTED Boozer, Okur - SIGNED)
Cavs (LeBron, Varejao - DRAFTED Hughes - SIGNED)
Bulls (Deng, Gordon, Thomas - DRAFTED Wallace, Noccioni - SIGNED)

These teams all went young and rebuilt via the draft and free agency. They didn't trade for 32 year olds about to be signed to long term $50M+ contracts in order to temporarily improve the team, yet further kill it in the long run.

maragin
06-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Then trade Quis, Baston, Williams, and a future lottery-protected first to Portland for Aldridge and the #1 pick.

And then trade the city of Indianapolis for Manhattan and Brooklyn.

And then pick up the dancing banana smiley :dance: off waivers to backup the PG position.

And hire Thunderbird14whatever as assistant (to the) head coach.

You make some good points here.

Anthem
06-01-2007, 04:37 PM
All teams rebuilt via the draft, and a lesser extent, free agency. That's what I suggest the Pacers do.

These teams all went young and rebuilt via the draft and free agency. They didn't trade for 32 year olds about to be signed to long term $50M+ contracts in order to temporarily improve the team, yet further kill it in the long run.
With the exception of the Spurs, all of those teams were terrible for years. YEARS. Is that also what you're suggesting the Pacers do?

FlavaDave
06-01-2007, 05:06 PM

The Spurs and Cavs will meet in the finals in large part because they got lucky. Both got #1 picks in a year with a surefire franchise player.

My point is that the only definite plan we can make is to follow the blueprint of the Bulls and the Jazz (suck for a few years, hit on all your lottery picks, clear cap room, sign a big free agent or two). If we get lucky in the process, great.

But you can't plan on being the next Spurs or Cavs. Ask Boston and Memphis about that.

So we can't intentionally follow San Antonio or Cleveland.

The part where we are kind of screwed is that we can't follow the model of Chicago or Utah just yet. JO, Murphy, Dunleavy, Daniels, and Tinsley have made it so that we can't clear cap room for 3 years.

That's why I would trade JO and Murphy for Bynum, Brown, Odom and #19. Assuming we can spin Odom and #19 into a top ten pick and an expiring, we can cut $10-20 million off of the cap while aquiring two draft picks (counting Bynum as a pick). That's a head start. Then will will have two more lottery picks to add to Granger/Ike/Williams/Bynum when Tinsley and the rest go off the books. That summer, we would have another pick (possibly not a lottery pick since the team has had time to grow) with cap room as well.

Y2J
06-01-2007, 05:10 PM
With the exception of the Spurs, all of those teams were terrible for years. YEARS. Is that also what you're suggesting the Pacers do?

Those teams were terrible for years and years because they botched the rebuilding process with horrible, horrible drafting. If you draft right, the rebuilding process takes only a few years.

Let's use the Bulls as an example. They had basically had 2 rebuilding processes, one under Jerry Krause, which started out with some good moves all of which he botched badly, and the present one started by John Paxson.

Jerry Krause (1998-2003)
1999 - Draft Elton Brand - Good
1999 - Draft Pre-Completely Insane Ron Artest - Good
2000 - Sign Brad Miller - Good
2000 - Draft Marcus Fizer - Horrible
2000 - Draft Jamal Crawford (via draft night swap with Cavs for Chris Mihm) - Bad
2001 - Trade Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler - Horrible
2001 - Draft Eddy Curry - So-So
2002 - Trade Artest and Miller for Jalen Rose and his enormous contract - Horrible
2002 - Draft Jay Williams - Horrible
2003 - Resign amidst the team being as bad now as when you started the rebuilding process 5 years ago.

Basically 5 years wasted due to an incompetent GM. I will give Jerry Krause a bit of a break, the 2000 draft was horrible and no one knew Jay Williams was an idiot at the time.

John Paxson (2003-)
2003 - Fire Bill Cartwright, hire Scott Skiles - Good
2003 - Draft Kirk Hinrich - Good
2004 - Draft Ben Gordon - Good
2005 - Draft Luol Deng (via trade with Phoenix) - Good
2005 - Sign Andres Noccioni - Good
2006 - Trade Eddy Curry to the Knicks for their 2006 1st (ended up being #4) and the rights to swap picks in 2007 (ended up being #23 for #9) - Good
2006 - Sign Ben Wallace - Good

So once the Bulls 2nd rebuilding process began in 2003, it was filled with excellent moves, and as a result, it only took 2 seasons to return to the playoffs. And as they stand now, they probably have the brightest future in the East. Not too shabby.

As for the Jazz, they missed the playoffs a whopping 3 years before heading right back to the Western Conference Finals with a team thats not even close to peaked. I'd gladly take that.

clemdogg
06-01-2007, 05:21 PM
i think people who are for completely rebuilding need to be very, very careful. the pacers have not done that well in the draft in recent years. yes, we got granger two years ago, but NO ONE thought he would slide that far down, and honestly, im shocked larry had the sense to pick him.

im not sure its fair to give a full assessment on harrison, granger, or shawne williams yet, but i also dont think any of them, including granger, are close to being the savior that we need them to be.

i understand fans who don't want to be in the middle every year, and im right there with you. but lottery draft picks do not ensure success. they dont even come close, especially with the likes of a talent evaluator in bird, who traded this year's second rounder to get james white before they cut him.

until we get a front office that can get players like ginobli, parker, nowitzki, barbosa, bell, diaw, etc. instead of sarunas jasi-cant-play-any-d-vic, primoz brezec, erazem lorbek, and all the other foreign players that you still refer to using two names, then i dont see us making many great decisions in the draft where luck isnt involved (granger).

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 05:28 PM
primoz brezec

Hey man, don't be dissing Peanut Butter.

Y2J
06-01-2007, 05:28 PM
From Bill Simmons of ESPN Page 2

Mr. Big Shot No More?

Announcers and studio guys steadfastly continuing to call Chauncey Billups "Mr. Big Shot," quite possibly the most undeserved sports nickname of this century. Here's a quick recap of Chauncey's career:

1997-2001: Bounces around from Boston to Toronto to Denver to Orlando to Minnesota.

2002: Plays well enough for the T-Wolves (0-3 in the '02 playoffs) that Detroit gives him a $30 million contract.

2003: Leads a Pistons team that eventually gets swept in the 2003 Eastern finals by New Jersey … and gets destroyed by Jason Kidd in the process. Billups shot 11 for 40 in the series; Kidd averaged 23.5 points, 7.5 assists and 10 rebounds per game. To be fair, Billups was playing with a sprained ankle. Just pointing out that the "Mr. Big Shot" nickname hadn't kicked in yet.

2004: Shoots 39 percent in the regular season, gets hot in the playoffs, leads the Pistons to the title, makes some big shots along the way, and somehow picks up the name "Mr. Big Shot."

2005: Leads the Pistons to the Finals, makes some big shots along the way, then pulls a relative no-show in Game 7 (13 points, 3 for 8 from the field, no big shots).

2006: Heading into the playoffs, with the Pistons peaking as a 64-win team, I wrote that Billups was "one more killer spring away from moving into the pantheon of Big Game Guards, along with Sam Jones, Jerry West, Dennis Johnson and Walt Frazier. Out of anyone in the playoffs other than Kobe, he's the one who can make the biggest leap historically. Well, unless Artest charges into the stands again."

Didn't happen. During the last three games of the Eastern semis against Cleveland -- which the Pistons nearly blew -- Billups shot 13 for 34. In the six-game loss to Miami in the Eastern finals, he shot 39 percent and 3 for 14 in the deciding game. So much for the pantheon of Big Game Guards.

2007: Struggled in the Chicago series (39 percent shooting), then completely flopped in the first four games of the Cavs series (22-for-57 shooting, 32 turnovers, some killer mistakes at the end of Games 3 and 4), to the point that people are now openly wondering how much money he's costing himself this summer.

So here's my question: With all due respect to Billups -- who's been a valuable player, a gamer and a winner over the past few years -- can we really keep calling a 41 percent career shooter who slapped together one great playoffs and nine-tenths of another great playoffs "Mr. Big Shot"? Isn't that a little insulting to Robert Horry? I vote that we call him "Chauncey" or "Billups" unless he completely redeems himself over these next few weeks. This meeting is adjourned.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-01-2007, 06:23 PM
uhhhhhh no...he hit that shot last night vs the cavs that i thought had them done. But lebron just made a big play

Anthem
06-01-2007, 06:33 PM
So once the Bulls 2nd rebuilding process began in 2003, it was filled with excellent moves, and as a result, it only took 2 seasons to return to the playoffs. And as they stand now, they probably have the brightest future in the East. Not too shabby.
They had a lot of chips to work with... a ton of young talent, and no bad salaries.

Y2J
06-01-2007, 06:38 PM
They had a lot of chips to work with... a ton of young talent, and no bad salaries.

What young talent? And they had Jalen Rose's massive contract.

Anthem
06-01-2007, 07:50 PM
What young talent? And they had Jalen Rose's massive contract.
Well, the Baby Bulls (off the top of my head). I'll have to go back and see their rosters.

Long and short - they were a lottery team for half a decade before Pax got there. That's not a foundation I'd be interested in.