PDA

View Full Version : Why should we trade JO?

clemdogg
06-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't post very often, but i'm a very avid fan and i read a lot. but forgive me because this is a lot to get off my chest:

what's happened, if it isn't obvious, is unfortunate for us and JO for a number of reasons. I keep wanting to ask myself, why should we trade JO? Why do we have to? There are multiple answers to this question, assuming we do trade JO for lesser value, (which, if we trade him, is inevitable) so why do it?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

First off, JO and Tins are really the only players left from the core of our last ECF team. So we've proved two things: that the group we blew up couldn't do it (or maybe they could but Artest ruined everything); and that we can't put a contending team around the JO and Tinsley tandem.

I tend to blame all of this on Bird (and maybe a little on Donnie, depending upon who was making what decisions), who happens to be my favorite NBA player of all-time behind Reggie. Sure, it's easy to blame Artest; but the fact of the matter is that Artest's ruining our team from the inside was just a matter of time. I'll even agree that although there were signs of Artest's instability, there was absolutely never any way Bird or anyone could have known Artest would run up in Detroit's stands one year and then demand a trade in the middle of the next year. But lots of things happen where there was previously no reason to predict it happening. Still, the bottom line is that Larry made those calls. Larry made the call to stick by Artest through it all, and even though I myself thought it was the right decision at the time, it ultimately proved to be a wrong decision. Really wrong.

When anyone says that getting rid of Tinsley and JO means that we really start new, they are wrong. They are wrong because its simply not true. It should be true, but it isn't. Somehow, Larry Legend has put us in a way, way worse spot than we should be in. We could be sitting here, out of the playoffs, with our old roster and a potential lottery pick. Instead, we take on the contracts of two totally overpaid, untradeable commodities in Dunleavy and Murphy and by getting rid of Harrington, we let this year's first rounder go for nothing.

At first, I was really eager to move JO. But I just donít see us getting equal value for him. In fact, I donít see any trade possible that Larry will make that wonít put us in a worse position. I still think that there are a few players who we could acquire through trades or free agency that would allow us to keep Jermaine and be immensely better. The two off the top of my head would be Chauncey Billups and Shawne Marion. Now I donít know their contract situations off the top of my head, but Iím pretty sure both of them are close to being out or are wanting out and I think either of these players would make JO immensely better.

What we absolutely should not do, in my opinion, is trade Jermaine for a couple of mediocre players and a project or two (Odom, Bynum, #19). Nothing against Odom. In fact, if there was a way to get Odom here while keeping JO, Iím all for it. But I donít see how getting Odom and Bynum at the cost of our franchise player makes us a better team than we our now with JO still here. In fact, I think it puts us in a much tougher position. At least while we are in the East and we have JO, we know we are only one or two players/scorers away from a contender.

What Iím willing to do as a loyal fan, however, is let the Pacers trade Jermaine to the Lakers for nothing (or Bynum and nothing), but have them take on the contracts of Murphy, Tinsley, and Dunleavy (any two will do, really). Then, and only then, will we really be able to start fresh (isnít it scary to think of what Bird could do then?). But that will probably never happen, so donít trade JO unless we get rid of one or two of these huge contracts that weíve dug ourselves a hole with.

Unclebuck
06-01-2007, 09:38 AM
The biggest reason why I think we should trade JO this summer: I truly believe he is physically breaking down and his trade value will only decrease the next few years as he becomes more injury prone and less athletic.

ABADays
06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
He will never be as valuable to us as he is now relative to the Lakers situation. As for any other team or scenario - meh.

robocop's cousin
06-01-2007, 12:33 PM
we'll probably trade J.O. for some European scrub & a training table for David Craig

OnlyPacersLeft
06-01-2007, 12:56 PM
because JO sucks obviously...he wants to win and he can't do it here with this team. So we give em to the lakers for that all star andrew bynum. Bynum > JO
Plus he's sooooo injury prone. And i mean he's disgruntled and asking for trades and things. That means we help him out because it's all about him and making the lakers better! We can't have the leagues darling in kobe bryant upset! NO WAY!

sixthman
06-01-2007, 01:22 PM
[COLOR=black]What Iím willing to do as a loyal fan, however, is let the Pacers trade Jermaine to the Lakers for nothing (or Bynum and nothing), but have them take on the contracts of Murphy, Tinsley, and Dunleavy (any two will do, really). Then, and only then, will we really be able to start fresh (isnít it scary to think of what Bird could do then?). But that will probably never happen, so donít trade JO unless we get rid of one or two of these huge contracts that weíve dug ourselves a hole with.

Unfortunately, you can't trade JO's nearly 20 mil salary and the other 20+ million salary you want to trade without getting similar salary back.

Might as well deal with reality: All the problems can't be solved in one trade or in one year. Every team also has bad contracts, it's the nature of the beast.

The answer for the Pacers might be to commit to rebuild with young talent and draft picks in the next couple of years...this means playing young players and fielding a team that will probably not be very good.

Trade JO and Jamaal when the offer is right, doesn't matter if it's in the same trade or separately...those other two bad contracts you are agonizing over will become short contracts eventually and take care of themselves.

NuffSaid
06-01-2007, 02:40 PM
ClemDogg, ABAdays and sixthman;

All 3 of you have hit the mark dead on!

Ever since this JO trade rumor w/the Lakers started, I've wondered one thing: "Why would JO want to do it?"

You see, it really makes no sense to me whatsoever why JO would even consider going from one youthful team that didn't make the post-season to another youthful team that barely made it on the efforts of one future HOFer All-Star (albeit one w/an over inflatted ego, Mr. Bryant :rolleyes: ).

Now, I think I understand the sense of urgency from mgmt's perspective. If I have JO's contract situation clearly understood, he's in the option year of his contract of which he has 3 yrs remaining. IF he opts out, that would effectively make him an unrestricted FA, which means he could sign with any team out there. Mgmt is, therefore, concerned that should he bolt they'd be left w/nothing. At least in attempting to negotiate a trade, the Pacers could get something of value for him and not find themselves in a situation they almost found themselves in when Peja opt'd out at the end of last season. (Getting the trade exemption (TE) from the Hornets saved their butts somewhat, but in the short term they still lost out by giving up Harringon and this year's 1st round draft pick.) So, if I have a clear understanding of JO & mgmt's situation, that's the root of where all these ramblings stem from.

Again, other than JO and Kobe reportedly being very good friends, I really don't see why JO would leave here to go there considering both teams are in effect..."retooling"?

Thoughts anyone?

clemdogg
06-01-2007, 03:33 PM
i think you make a really good point buck and i would have to agree with you there. its also crossed my mind before that bynum could be the next oneal himself...up and coming high-schooler who has shown potential who we acquired in a remodeling trade. i havent seen bynum play nearly enough, however, to make any of those kinds of assessments. but certainly, jo has experienced some wear and tear the last couple of years.

Slick Pinkham
06-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Because the team isn't very good and he will opt out of his contract after next season if we don't make the playoffs again?

This may be the last time that he has trade value also, if he misses a lot of games next year with injury.