PDA

View Full Version : Kerr To Be Named Phoenix GM {East Valley Tribune}

Frank Slade
06-01-2007, 06:04 AM
May 31, 2007
Kerr to be named next Suns GM
Jerry Brown, Tribune

Steve Kerr will be announced as the new president of basketball operations and general manager of the Suns within the week, an NBA source with knowledge of the situation said. Mike D’Antoni will keep his title as executive vice president of basketball operations in addition to his coaching duties.

The source said current vice president of basketball operations David Griffin will decide tonight whether to stay with the Suns or take a similar position with the Grizzlies. The Suns want Griffin to stay and would probably give him a raise and another title. Griffin would also keep a lot of the duties for which he is currently responsible.

Kerr’s move into the front office would take a lot of the strain off D’Antoni who is not only the Suns coach but an assistant for Team USA.

Kerr is currently a minority owner in the team and a close friend of Suns owner Robert Sarver

A five-time NBA champion and 15-year veteran as a player, Steve Kerr, returns to the organization where he began his professional career.

Kerr was the Suns’ second selection in the 1988 NBA Draft (50th overall) after a four-year career at the University of Arizona. He is the league’s all-time leader in career 3-point field goal percentage, with a .454 mark (726-1599). He played his rookie season in the NBA with Phoenix in 1988-89.

Kerr won three NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls (1996, 1997 and 1998) and was a member of two San Antonio Spurs NBA championship teams (1999 and 2003). Kerr, who retired after the 2002-03 season, appeared in 910 regular season games, averaging six points, 1.8 assists and 1.2 rebounds per contests.

This past season Kerr was an NBA analyst for Turner Sports and worked in the Spurs broadcasting booth.

Kerr, who was born in Beirut, Lebanon on Sept. 27, 1965, earned his degree in general studies from Arizona in 1988.

He and wife, Margot, have three children, Nicholas, Madeleine and Matthew.

East Valley Tribune (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/90730?source=rss&dest=STY-90730)

Sharp Hire , IMO

avoidingtheclowns
06-01-2007, 07:10 AM
he's a fantastic announcer and i enjoy his Yahoo columns. too bad. but yeah good hire.

Brian
06-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Damn..I really like steve kerr,but maybe thatll mean more reggie on tnt

avoidingtheclowns
06-01-2007, 07:44 AM
article from the AP

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="yspsctnhdln">Source: Suns to hire Kerr as general manager
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="7"><spacer type="block" height="1" width="1"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
May 31, 2007

PHOENIX (AP) -- Steve Kerr will be hired as president and general manager of the Phoenix Suns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/pho/;_ylt=AuEScnxurO1a_I.b4mDf1yiLvLYF), a person with knowledge of the hiring said Thursday.
Kerr can't officially take the job until he completes his obligations as an analyst for TNT during the NBA playoffs. He is expected to be introduced at a news conference next week, said a person close to the situation who asked not to be identified because the official announcement had not been made.

Kerr is a close friend of Suns owner Robert Sarver and owns a small piece of the team. He would replace Mike D'Antoni, who holds the titles of general manager and head coach. The move will allow D'Antoni to concentrate on coaching.

Kerr was part of the TNT crew at the Eastern Conference finals game in Detroit. He left the court at halftime with a cell phone in his ear.

"We're still talking at this point," he said when asked of the report. "I can't really say anything more at this point."

Sarver did not return a message left on his cell phone.

D'Antoni has held both titles since Bryan Colangelo resigned as president and general manager in February 2006 to take a similar post with the Toronto Raptors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/tor/;_ylt=AlgwassZdtvGw7gguqGr_huLvLYF).

Kerr, part of five NBA championship teams with Chicago and San Antonio in his 15-year NBA career, helped pave the way for Sarver and his backers to purchase the team from Jerry Colangelo for a reported $401 million three years ago. The final payment of the purchase is due in June.

Kerr starred at the University of Arizona and is a close friend of Wildcats coach Lute Olson.

He returns to the NBA team that drafted him in the second round, the 50th choice overall, in 1988. Kerr played in 26 games for Phoenix as a rookie, then was traded to Cleveland for a second-round draft pick.

Kerr, who retired as a player in 2003, holds the NBA record for career 3-point percentage at .454. He also holds the record for 3-point shooting percentage in a season at .524 in the 1994-95 with Chicago. He made the winning shot for the Bulls against Utah in Game 6 of the 1997 NBA finals.
Kerr, 41, was born in Beirut, Lebanon. His father, president of American University in Beirut, was assassinated in 1984.

Kerr's hiring was first reported on the Web sites of The Arizona Republic and East Valley Tribune.

David Griffin, the Suns' vice president of basketball operations, has spoken with the Memphis Grizzlies (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/mem/;_ylt=An606kA6cWKoZj1kR5U8Rq.LvLYF) about taking the general manager job there. Marc Iavaroni left his job as D'Antoni's lead assistant this week to become head coach of the Grizzlies.

D'Antoni has said the Suns need to add depth after they lost to San Antonio 4-2 in the Western Conference semifinals. Phoenix has won three consecutive Pacific Division titles but has not made it past the conference finals in that span.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Amkipxj4Wt0bKvyA..Drl5M5nYcB?slug=ap-suns-kerr&prov=ap&type=lgns

i certainly didn't know that...

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Wow, now that's impressive!! Way to go Steve! I love the Suns and Steve rocks. I'll miss him as an announcer though. Good luck Steve!

Young
06-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Yes I will miss Steve as an announcer. He does a great job.

But this is a good choice by the Suns. Steve knows his basketball, that's for sure.

grace
06-01-2007, 09:50 AM
article from the AP

i certainly didn't know that...

I did. The father of a woman I used to work with worked with Steve's dad in Beruit. In fact I think her dad was the last one to see Steve's dad alive before he was killed.

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Also, Steve was still at Arizona when his dad was killed, and kids at I believe Arizona State would taunt him about it during games. Just evil.