PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Not Excited About O'Brien

Cornrows
06-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Reg didn't sound too happy, saying that O'Brien is hired and Mark Jackson can't even get a call.

But I thought Jax had no interest?

Oneal07
06-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Yeah I seen that juss now

Unclebuck
06-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Why would Bird call Jackson when he told everyone he doesn't want to be the head coach. Reggie needs to wake up

pwee31
06-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Yeah I thought the same thing. I posted in the poll thread though. I think Reggie might've been a little outta the loop on this one.

Unless Mark was just SAYING he didn't want the job b/c he felt snubbed he wasn't called

PR07
06-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Not to mention the fact that Jackson has absolutely 0 coaching experience at any level.

Bball
06-01-2007, 06:02 AM
Mark Jax shoulda got at least a courtesy call and interview... regardless of what he said on TV. He could decline it if he wished. For what he brought to this franchise (something we've not had since) he deserves at least that much respect.

-bball

Hicks
06-01-2007, 06:03 AM
The man said to the press he didn't want to be here because of management not knowing what they're doing, and he has 0 experience, even as an assistant. He's about as likely to get called for a job as Rik Smits.

Hicks
06-01-2007, 06:03 AM
Mark Jax shoulda got at least a courtesy call and interview... regardless of what he said on TV. He could decline it if he wished. For what he brought to this franchise (something we've not had since) he deserves at least that much respect.

-bball

Criticizing your would-be boss(es) removes the "respect" angle IMO. You don't do that.

Bball
06-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Criticizing your would-be boss(es) removes the "respect" angle IMO. You don't do that.

It might've lessened his chances of getting the job considerably...
He might've made his comments after he realized the phone wasn't going to ring...

Regardless... He deserved a call I believe.

-Bball

Arcadian
06-01-2007, 06:14 AM
In all fairness has anyone considered that God may have told managment not to call Jackson?

Whether or not we should have called Jackson has zero impact on O'Brien's ablilty to coach. Reggie is just made we didn't call his friend.

BlueNGold
06-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Reggie is just stirring the pot and blowing smoke. He obviously knew Jack did not want to coach under current Pacer management. I suspect Reggie does not think highly of Bird's management style either.

Bball
06-01-2007, 06:20 AM
In all fairness has anyone considered that God may have told managment not to call Jackson?

Whether or not we should have called Jackson has zero impact on O'Brien's ablilty to coach. Reggie is just made we didn't call his friend.

I'm not critisizing the hire.. but I agree with Reggie in that Mark deserved a call. Giving Mark the courtesy of a call shouldn't have been too much to ask. It is Mark Jackson, not Erik Strickland, we're talking about.

Mjax is one of the all-time Pacer greats and has shown an interest in a coaching job. You call him whether he's at the top of your list or not IMHO.

-Bball

MagicRat
06-01-2007, 06:27 AM
I read somewhere that Larry said he didn't call Mark because "Jim O'Brien could coach Mark Jackson under the table."

I can't seem to find the link, though.........

Arcadian
06-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Mjax is one of the all-time Pacer greats' best friend and has shown an interest in a coaching job. You call him whether he's at the top of your list or not IMHO to make Reggie happy.

-Bball

Fixed

I thought you were done with massaging egos.

Roaming Gnome
06-01-2007, 06:43 AM
This isn't the first time Reggie has said something that has disappointed me as a fan of this franchise, since his retirement.

Reggie should have thought about possible reasons WHY his phone didn't ring and not just the fact that it didn't ring!!!

Evan_The_Dude
06-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Um, who HAS called Mark Jackson? Never been a head coach. Never been an assistant coach. Never been interviewed by any of the 29 NBA teams. Why did we need to be the team to call him? It's not like we're the only team he ever played for. We obviously went into this with a preference of getting a coach with some head coaching experience under his belt. We kept our options open and interviewed a few assistants, but it seemed to have come down to experience and vision for the team. Also, TPTB obviously wanted somebody that would help us become one of the better defensive teams in the league once again. I don't know what about Mark Jackson makes you think "Defense".

Dr. Goldfoot
06-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Reggie should have dunked against the Nets. I'm still not excited about that play. Reggie Miller is a sportscaster now and he is the Indiana Pacers connection. They want him to say something like this and he's just doing his job. I don't listen to what Jim Harbaugh has to say about what the Colts do these days because his opinion is irrelevant.

NuffSaid
06-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Why would Bird call Jackson when he told everyone he doesn't want to be the head coach. Reggie needs to wake up
I was thinking the same thing. But it also goes to show Uncle Reggie was caught off guard just as much as we were. As to this "courtesy" and "respect" issue, I have to agree w/Mal. All of that went out the window the moment he stated his reasons publicly why he didn't want the job. Why call him when he has made it clear he doesn't like mgmt nor think the roster is worth his while? This no matter how much you've given to the franchise in the past.

As to Jim O'Brien, maybe he is a good fit. Maybe he'll bring a stronger baseline style of leadership to the table which is something this team needs. Here's hoping!

Welcome Aboard, Jim O'Brien.

avoidingtheclowns
06-01-2007, 07:13 AM
i think this is more about supporting Jax than it is about slamming the pacers. everyone at espn is pushing for jax (everytime jax talks with dan patrick dan practically begs people to call mark). take it with a grain of salt.

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 07:14 AM

Post of the year.

Anthem
06-01-2007, 08:30 AM
You are too quick.

I was gonna make that same joke.

Great minds think alike!

pacerwaala
06-01-2007, 08:49 AM

In all fairness has anyone considered that maybe management thought that "We are not a veteran ball club" when they decided to not call Mark.

Jermaniac
06-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Maybe Reggie should shut up. His "friend" went out of his way to say he didnt want this job way before we even said anything about who are candidates are and then he went on to say it again a few weeks later that he didnt want this job. Not only that but he talked **** about the two guys that are supposed to call him in for a interview.

Reggie sucks at his job.

grace
06-01-2007, 09:34 AM
In all fairness has anyone considered that maybe management thought that "We are not a veteran ball club" when they decided to not call Mark.

Considering I heard that Mark said something to the affect that the Pacers management is bad I'd say that's why they decided not to call him.

QuickRelease
06-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Reggie should have dunked against the Nets. I'm still not excited about that play. Reggie Miller is a sportscaster now and he is the Indiana Pacers connection. They want him to say something like this and he's just doing his job. I don't listen to what Jim Harbaugh has to say about what the Colts do these days because his opinion is irrelevant.

BOOM BABYYYYY!!!!!!!! :D:D

Who says we owe Mark Jackson a phone call? I loved him for what he gave us as a player, but the Pacers weren't obligated to include him in the coaching search. By the way, he excluded himself when he said there were too many people trying to run the show, and that he didn't want the job. I mean, I appreciate the fact that Reggie has to stay objective now due to his role, but it seems like he goes out of the way to smack the Pacers down sometimes.

Kstat
06-01-2007, 10:20 AM
have the Pacers ever had a black head coach? I was thinking about that the other day, and I can't remember one.

Arcadian
06-01-2007, 10:22 AM
have the Pacers ever had a black head coach? I was thinking about that the other day, and I can't remember one.

Are you so ashamed of IT that you've blotted him out of your mind?

Young
06-01-2007, 10:23 AM

Isiah Thomas.

Kstat
06-01-2007, 10:25 AM
:laugh: man I am tired tonight.

For some reason my brain skipped straight from Larry Bird to Rick Carlisle.

FlavaDave
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
I think Reggie:

a) was sticking up for his friend, and

b) was going against the Pacers to further build his cred with the TNT guys

I ain't worried.

Natston
06-01-2007, 10:55 AM

:D

Mourning
06-01-2007, 11:16 AM

:ding:

ABADays
06-01-2007, 11:38 AM
We as pacer fans place Reggie in too high a position...He talks negative every chance he gets against us in hoosier land..where is the love..Lol...Did any of the other Ex pacer players ever bash us this bad on the regular? Old school not new school?

Well, I guess us fans do have a tendency to do that. You know like Ruth and the Yankees, Unitas and the Baltimore Colts, Manning and the Indianapolis Colts. He was the face of the franchise and represented us with class. Too high? Um, no I don't think so.

Old school/new school? I'll take Reggie the way he is rather than a PC Reggie.

panthro_1
06-01-2007, 12:08 PM
We as pacer fans place Reggie in too high a position...He talks negative every chance he gets against us in hoosier land..where is the love..Lol...Did any of the other Ex pacer players ever bash us this bad on the regular? Old school not new school?

06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Looked to me like he just found out who the new coach is and became extremly surprised or even stunned a little... just like many of us, therefore saying what he said. Reggie is always honest tho, sometimes to honest. I dont know whats behind all that "Why didnt Mark Jackson get a call" talking tho.

But looking at his expression when he said that it looked like he was a bit sad and disappointed about the whole thing and probably didnt even think before saying "Why didnt Mark Jackson get a call" and then notice how he stops right there and says "I just dont know..." which means he didnt want to define what he meant, which probably means he just thought to fast and opened his mouth to fast because he do know why Mark didnt get call...

Yes, I can read minds :)

edc
06-01-2007, 12:53 PM

......and now theres a steal by bird.......

Naptown_Seth
06-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Wait, so you're saying the Pacers should have given Jimbaugh a courtesy coaching offer?

:p

larry
06-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Man Reggie is the same dude.
The team sucks everybody except Conrad Brunner knows.
Do you want him to lie?
I'm gonna give new J.O. a chance, but admit I'm suprised & disappointed by the hire.

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 04:43 PM
:laugh: man I am tired tonight.

For some reason my brain skipped straight from Larry Bird to Rick Carlisle.

At the same time the 4 major jobs in Indiana all employed their first black coach:

- Isiah Thomas
- Tony Dungy
- Ty Willingham
- Mike Davis

Of course, Carolyn Peck had already won her title at Purdue and pulled a Billy Donovan by then. :(

Oneal07
06-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Man Reggie is the same dude.
The team sucks everybody except Conrad Brunner knows.
Do you want him to lie?
I'm gonna give new J.O. a chance, but admit I'm suprised & disappointed by the hire.

Yeah Conrad is too Positive, I guess he wants to keep his :censored: job lol

grace
06-02-2007, 12:41 AM

Reggie doesn't always say something negative. In fact he's in the DVD the Pacers made begging season ticket holder to reup.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=30602

The link to the video on YouTube is in post #6.

Pig Nash
06-02-2007, 01:22 AM
At the same time the 4 major jobs in Indiana all employed their first black coach:

- Isiah Thomas
- Tony Dungy
- Ty Willingham
- Mike Davis

Of course, Carolyn Peck had already won her title at Purdue and pulled a Billy Donovan by then. :(

Can you pull a *person's name* if you did it first?

Kegboy
06-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Can you pull a *person's name* if you did it first?

Well it's easier than saying, "Was Billy Donovan before Billy Donovan was Billy Donovan." And I just wanted to point out she left an NCAA championship team for Orlando just like Billy. And then when she realized what a mistake it was, she ended up at Florida. I wonder if that means Billy will be the next Purdue coach. :chin:

Naptown_Seth
06-03-2007, 04:10 AM
Well it's easier than saying, "Was Billy Donovan before Billy Donovan was Billy Donovan." And I just wanted to point out she left an NCAA championship team for Orlando just like Billy. And then when she realized what a mistake it was, she ended up at Florida. I wonder if that means Billy will be the next Purdue coach. :chin:
Is this one of them movies where twins are involved, like Parent Trap?

Kegboy
06-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Is this one of them movies where twins are involved, like Parent Trap?

Yes, Carolyn Peck and Billy Donovan are in fact identical cousins.

JayRedd
06-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Maybe Reggie should shut up. His "friend" went out of his way to say he didnt want this job way before we even said anything about who are candidates are and then he went on to say it again a few weeks later that he didnt want this job. Not only that but he talked **** about the two guys that are supposed to call him in for a interview.

Reggie sucks at his job.

Hate to say it, cause he's my favorite player and all, but he certainly has never impressed me with his "analysis" before. Seems to say a lot of stupid ****...this Mark Jackson bit included.

Meanwhile, I can't believe the TPTB didn't even give Haywoode Workman a call. And what about Travis Best, Kenny Anderson, Eddie Gill and all the other PGs we've had who have never coached a day in their life?

grace
06-04-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't think Reggie is all that bad, but compaired to Steve Kerr no one is good.

As for who the P's should have called you've all forgotten the most obvious omission. SIGGY!!!