PDA

View Full Version : Donovan to coach Magic?

pwee31
05-31-2007, 11:03 PM
I was just sitting here watching ESPN, (apparently softball is on so no best of Mike/Mike).

But they broke news that Billy Donovan met with the Magic today and received a great offer. The Orlando Sentinel says that Magic officials believe Donovan will officially accept in the next couple of days!

Sorry no link, just saw on tv

robocop's cousin
05-31-2007, 11:10 PM
just heard it too
he'd be stupid (in my opinion ) to do it

pwee31
05-31-2007, 11:22 PM
just heard it too
he'd be stupid (in my opinion ) to do it

Though he's reached tremendous status at Florida with his 2 titles, He did lose his entire starting 5, and though I'm sure he's recruited well, those guys all coming back, and then all leaving couldn't have helped the schloarship situation these last couple of years.

Plus he's probably at a point where he would like to test the NBA waters, like a lot of successful college coaches do. Not sure his coaching stock will ever be any higher then it is now, throw in the fact that he won't have to leave the state of Florida, he'll inherit and team who has a nice young core who made the playoffs, instead of a bottom dweller (which is usually the case), and I'm sure the money talks as well.

So if he's wants a shot at the NBA... now would be the time.

Y2J
05-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Good decision by Donovan. I'm assuming the money's better and the NBA is the pinnacle of basketball so he's upgraded two-fold. And even if the NBA doesn't work out, he'll still get a ton of high profile college job offers as soon as he's back on the market. It's a win/win situation.

D23
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
This just showed up on ESPN.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2888555

--

Source: Donovan offered $6M per to coach Magic

Updated: May 31, 2007, 3:38 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->After weeks of waiting for the University of Florida to finalize his new seven-year contract, the Orlando Magic have entered Billy Donovan's world and given him another substantial offer to ponder.

After leading the Gators to the last two national championships, the 42-year-old Donovan has received a contract offer from the Magic worth $6 million annually, a source told ESPN.com's Pat Forde.

Team officials told the Orlando Sentinel, which first reported the story on its Web site, that Donovan is expected to take the job.

When asked about the job Wednesday, Donovan told the Sentinel he had not spoken with the Magic. Donovan had not contacted Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley as of Thursday afternoon to say whether he's accepted the job, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com.

Donovan's new contract at Florida -- it was presented to him on May 17 but he had yet to sign it as of May 25 -- was to pay him around $3 million in the first year. The contract then was to escalate to more than $3.75 in guaranteed income by the end of the contract in 2013-14, a person familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com

The 42-year-old Donovan is one of only 12 college basketball coaches to win multiple national championships. The Gators won their second straight in April after beating Ohio State.

The Magic removed Brian Hill as coach on May 23 after two consecutive losing seasons and a first-round sweep in this year's playoffs.

Information from ESPN.com's Andy Katz and Mark Schlabach was used in this report.

Hicks
05-31-2007, 11:50 PM
$6mm per year for 6 years? He has to take that if he's remotely interested. Especially staying in-state and headed to a playoff team with Dwight Howard on it.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
06-01-2007, 12:02 AM
I really hope that SVG turned us down because he thought he was gonna get the Orlando job. The thought of him sitting at home crying right now makes me feel better about getting turned down.

Cant belive noone has said that yet.

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 12:17 AM
For Billy's sake I hope Pitino calls him and reminds him how stupid it is to leave a college powerhouse for a lousy NBA job.

pwee31
06-01-2007, 12:38 AM
6 mil! That's money to be stupid over! Another powerhouse in college will hire him if it doesn't pan out in the NBA

Hicks
06-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Since when is that Orlando team a lousy job?

naptownmenace
06-01-2007, 01:03 AM
6 mil! That's money to be stupid over! Another powerhouse in college will hire him if it doesn't pan out in the NBA

Thank you! He'd be stupid not to take the money. That's a 100% pay raise.

Plus he's a great competitor. I'm sure he'll view the opportunity to coach in the NBA as a great challenge. Who knows, he might be the next Larry Brown.

aero
06-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Id take the job if i were him....

Y2J
06-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Worst case scenario, the Magic have to continue to pay his remaining massive salary and he returns to another high profile NCAA coaching job, of which there will be many willing to bend over backwards for him. People talk about Pitino, yet every team in the country in need of a coach would hire him in a heartbeat even after his failed stint with the Celtics.

pwee31
06-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Sportscenter just reported that he has agreed to the deal

Frank Slade
06-01-2007, 02:37 AM
Official: Donovan leaving Florida to coach Orlando Magic

By TRAVIS REED, Associated Press Writer
May 31, 2007

ORLANDO (AP) -- After leading Florida to two national titles, Billy Donovan has agreed to leave the Gators to coach the Orlando Magic, an official in the NBA told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been finalized, said Donovan agreed to a five-year, $27.5 million contract.

Donovan, who turned down an offer in April to coach Kentucky, replaces Brian Hill, who was fired after two consecutive losing seasons.

Donovan, his agent and Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley didn't return phone messages left by The AP. School president Bernie Machen, who was attending a meeting of Southeastern Conference officials, declined comment.

Speculation that Donovan would leave Gainesville seemed to end after he turned down Kentucky and said, "I love the University of Florida." He was also linked to the Memphis Grizzlies' job, but never had formal talks with them and repeatedly refused to comment about any open coaching positions.

He said he intended to sign an extension at Florida, where he was making $1.7 million annually.

Yahoo Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-magic-donovan&prov=ap&type=lgns)

CableKC
06-01-2007, 02:49 AM
Well....SVG now has to go find another city to coach in now that isn't as warm.

I hear that SacTown is really dry and hot in the summer....maybe he can move his family there. :lol:

Naptown_Seth
06-01-2007, 04:18 AM
For Billy's sake I hope Pitino calls him and reminds him how stupid it is to leave a college powerhouse for a lousy NBA job.
Who was Pitino's assistant at KY, NYK & BOS? That guy was stupid too...err...;)

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Since when is that Orlando team a lousy job?

The roster (read: Dwight Howard) has potential, but the franchise has been a train wreck since Shaq left. When they don't put quality players around Howard and he leaves when his rookie contract is done, then what do they do?

Young
06-01-2007, 09:12 AM
What is BD thinking?

Ok when you are in his position, he has reached legend status. He had a chance to build a dynasty, no joke here. He had the recruits to do it.

What are these kids suppose to think now?

I would think Florida would have matched or given him more.

He goes to the NBA? Why? The NBA isn't even liked as well as college is. College is much more fun to watch and stuff. Why give that up?

BD will quickly realize that the NBA is a whole different ball game and he will be back coaching college in 3 years.

FrenchConnection
06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
The only thing that I can think about here is that pUKe is now going to get Jai Lucas and be good again.

But, good move for Billy D. Most of the time when college coaches get a shot at the NBA it is a bad situation and they are doomed to fail, but here he has a real shot.

pwee31
06-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm watching ESPN first take, and they said that even the Pacers put in a call to Donovan to gauge his interest

pwee31
06-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm watching ESPN first take, and they said that even the Pacers put in a call to Donovan to gauge his interest.

Guess he was one of the college coaches

Naptown_Seth
06-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately if he's fired he'll never be able to return to an elite NCAA program again (ahem, Pitino). Dude just got paid 10 years worth of NCAA coaching no matter what (due to 5 at double rate, and really it's higher than that, more like triple). If he's back in the NCAA ranks at his old salary in 4 years he still has an extra 6 years worth of NCAA money in his pocket for his trouble.

edc
06-01-2007, 01:09 PM
5.5 million? A Rookie Coach 5.5 million per year?

Its ok to be stupid........$27.5 million(5 years)

I hope Billy Donovan will be a good coach for the Magic

Shade
06-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately if he's fired he'll never be able to return to an elite NCAA program again (ahem, Pitino). Dude just got paid 10 years worth of NCAA coaching no matter what (due to 5 at double rate, and really it's higher than that, more like triple). If he's back in the NCAA ranks at his old salary in 4 years he still has an extra 6 years worth of NCAA money in his pocket for his trouble.

Exactly. It's all about the $$$.

$6 mil a year for 6 years is INSANE for a rookie coach. Orlando will wind up regretting this one.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
06-02-2007, 03:42 AM
I think they are banking on the hope that having a local college coaching legend will result in a sizeable increase in attendance and that will cover his paycheck. This is all a publicity stunt if you ask me, but it could work out. I hope it does, Ive always had a thing for the Magic.