PDA

View Full Version : Pacers coaching job down to 3 names. Boylan, Smart, Tony Brown

Unclebuck
05-31-2007, 04:18 AM
According to Vescey who was on NBATV tonight

Boylan
Keith Smart
Tony Brown

Boylan is the the only one who has interviewed twice and he is the most likely. Vescey said Pacers should have this wrapped up within a week or so

Young
05-31-2007, 04:23 AM
Sweet.

So no chance of bringing Rick back I take it? Haha.

Keith Smart might be alright, Tony Brown was an interesting canidate IMO early on but I never thought he was in the running.

I don't know what to think of Boylan.

I was really hoping for Rick Adelman and I began to even like Sam Mitchell or SVG somewhat.

Gosh, I sure hope Bird picks a good one.

Kegboy
05-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Well, that's a far cry from where we were a month ago. However, I'll say now what I said then, it doesn't matter who we hire, as long as he and the TPTB are on the same page. Of course, that would take TPTB to actually be on the same page with themselves, which may be too much to ask. :dunno:

Roaming Gnome
05-31-2007, 06:33 AM
:shakehead: Ahh, the air of disappointment :shrug:

Will Galen
05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
I still think it will be Boylan. Bird has been quoted as saying he likes what Chicago has been doing. Smart or Brown would have to impress Bird greatly to overcome that.

Kstat
05-31-2007, 06:45 AM
....Keith Smart is a coach? I had no idea...

Unclebuck
05-31-2007, 06:56 AM
....Keith Smart is a coach? I had no idea...

When he was an assistant in Cleveland I heard a lot of really good things about him as a coach, of course when he was the interim head coach things didn't go so well - but Smart is pretty highly thought of. Someone who I respected just raved about him - saying he'd be an excellent head coach someday. I forgot who that was though

bnd45
05-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Nellie is on record of wanting Keith Smart to be his successor with the Warriors. He's grooming him for the job the same way he did Avery.

pwee31
05-31-2007, 07:23 AM
I don't mind those candidates. They're all guys who are looking for the opportunity to be the main guy. It may turn out terrible, it may turn out great.. who knows?!

If there's any truth to the JO/Tins to Lakers rumor, then the new coach should really get a chance to put his stamp on the team. Tinsley and JO are really the only guys on the team I could see giving a new coach problems.

Trader Joe
05-31-2007, 07:42 AM
So you mean Boylan is a shoe in? Yeah that whats this story says to me too.

avoidingtheclowns
05-31-2007, 08:20 AM
yeah smart comes out of nowhere. i like him, he did really well with the ft wayne fury in the CBA. but nellie is undecided whether he'll coach next year or not so i can't imagine the warriors let him be interviewed.

OnlyPacersLeft
05-31-2007, 08:26 AM
wow...vescey knows everything. Does he live in indy? or does he work for the pacers as GM now?

LG33
05-31-2007, 08:58 AM
PJ Carlesimo

Hoop
05-31-2007, 09:11 AM
PJ Carlesimoand bring Sprewell out of retirement. :dance:

maragin
05-31-2007, 12:12 PM
I am completely underwhelmed with those three coaching options. It's like I get to pick a bride at the flea market.

fwpacerfan
05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
When he was an assistant in Cleveland I heard a lot of really good things about him as a coach, of course when he was the interim head coach things didn't go so well - but Smart is pretty highly thought of. Someone who I respected just raved about him - saying he'd be an excellent head coach someday. I forgot who that was though

He coached the Fury before Isiah ruined the CBA and he did a good job. He will be an excellent head coach someday.

Naptown_Seth
05-31-2007, 10:37 PM
PJ Carlesimo
That was the guy I mentioned as well, but I like where Boylan is at right now. It's not like he doesn't have lots of good experience. Frankly he seems like exactly what you want from a first time head coach. I think he can do as well as Mike Brown would here (meaning with this roster, not LeBron).

TPTB need to give him at least 2 terrible years, and 3 for sure if the team pushes toward the playoffs in year 2. Find out what he can do and let him feel his way into the job a bit.

pwee31
05-31-2007, 10:56 PM
wow...vescey knows everything. Does he live in indy? or does he work for the pacers as GM now?

It makes me think he may actually have a solid source in the organization. Not only did he discuss the JO to Lakers situation, he was also able to news about our coaching candidates.

2 different stories about the Pacers in his reporting tells me he's talking to someone who knows something.

And the list of candidates makes sense, if we're going into rebuliding mode.

Speed
05-31-2007, 10:58 PM
It makes me think he may actually have a solid source in the organization. Not only did he discuss the JO to Lakers situation, he was also able to news about our coaching candidates.

2 different stories about the Pacers in his reporting tells me he's talking to someone who knows something.

And the list of candidates makes sense, if we're going into rebuliding mode.

Yep DW back to like the beginning. Sometimes DW has fed him garbage to help advance his position and other times he has given him the scoop to keep every one guessing.

Naptown_Seth
06-01-2007, 04:23 AM
According to Vescey who was on NBATV tonight

Boylan
Keith Smart
Tony Brown

Boylan is the the only one who has interviewed twice and he is the most likely. Vescey said Pacers should have this wrapped up within a week or so
:brilliant

"nailed it"

ChicagoJ
06-01-2007, 07:51 AM
I get tired of typing this, but Vecsey and DW have known each other since high school.

They're so close that Vecsey never knows if Donnie is pulling his leg for purposes of misdirection or if he's got the real scoop. Either way, Vecsey can't afford to not "run with it" for whatever % of the time DW is telling him the truth.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-01-2007, 07:54 AM
BRILLIANT!
good call peter!

fwpacerfan
06-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Um - Vecsey was wrong again in case no one noticed.

FlavaDave
06-01-2007, 02:07 PM
I get tired of typing this, but Vecsey and DW have known each other since high school.

They're so close that Vecsey never knows if Donnie is pulling his leg for purposes of misdirection or if he's got the real scoop. Either way, Vecsey can't afford to not "run with it" for whatever % of the time DW is telling him the truth.

Be that as it may, it still means that you have to take a gigantic grain of salt with any info Vecsey gives (like, oh say, the 'done deal' JO-to-Lakers trade).