PDA

View Full Version : Report: Ivaroni to coach the Grizzlies

FlavaDave
05-30-2007, 11:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2887293

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The Memphis Grizzlies (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=mem), looking for a coach who can help the team work its way up from the bottom of the NBA, have set a "major announcement" for Thursday amid newspaper reports they are hiring Phoenix Suns assistant Marc Iavaroni.

The Grizzlies declined to provide more details about the news conference. The Commercial Appeal newspaper, citing unidentified sources close to the search, reported that the Grizzlies have agreed to a three-year deal with Iavaroni.

The Grizzlies had no immediate comment on the report. An assistant to Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley told The Associated Press he was unavailable for comment.

Iavaroni, who joined the Suns coaching staff in 2002, is a 14-year veteran of the NBA as a player and coach.

He was an assistant and director of player development for the Miami Heat (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=mia) under Pat Riley before joining the Suns.

indyman37
05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I didn't even notice someone hadn't posted this yet....well it sucks but I think I can get over it. I mean, I don't think the Pacers even called Iavaroni once.

Moses
05-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Pacers are going to get SVG or JVG.

I will be happy with either of them.

Robobtowncolt
05-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Pacers are going to get SVG or JVG.

I will be happy with either of them.

How do you figure? They're both on record saying they're not going to coach here.

Didn't know if you'd heard something new.

Young
05-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Good hire.

I'm a little suprised he picked the Grizzles though.

I would have thought the Magic would have been all over him and I am a little suprised he is not in Orlando when you have Dwight Howard.

The Grizzles have some interesting talent.

Kyle Lowry will make a good point guard in this league.

Rudy Gay and Hakim Warrick will make an interesting forward combination if they trade Pau.

They still have Mike Miller.

Plus the 4th Overall Pick. Could it be Corey Brewer? Maybe so. I think he would be a good fit for them.

gph
05-31-2007, 12:06 AM
Given that Heisley is trying to jettison the team and there is no GM, don't know if that was the best pick for Iavaroni.

Moses
05-31-2007, 12:08 AM
How do you figure? They're both on record saying they're not going to coach here.

Didn't know if you'd heard something new.
I thought SVG was the only one who turned down the job. I just figured as soon as SVG and JVG didn't get any more offers, we would snag one of them. JVG didn't really turn down the pacers..moreso he just said he wanted family time. I get the feeling that will change in a month or so when he realizes that he loves coaching.

Unclebuck
05-31-2007, 01:09 AM
I thought SVG was the only one who turned down the job. I just figured as soon as SVG and JVG didn't get any more offers, we would snag one of them. JVG didn't really turn down the pacers..moreso he just said he wanted family time. I get the feeling that will change in a month or so when he realizes that he loves coaching.

I don't think it works that way. If SVG has told the Pacers he isn't interested, but then in a few weeks he comes back and said well now he is, if I were the Pacers I'd say no thanks. We want someoene who is committed from the start.

JVG will sit out next season

ABADays
05-31-2007, 01:21 AM
I don't think it works that way. If SVG has told the Pacers he isn't interested, but then in a few weeks he comes back and said well now he is, if I were the Pacers I'd say no thanks. We want someoene who is committed from the start.

JVG will sit out next season

I agree. There is no way I would take SVG, especially after he shot me in the foot.

Kegboy
05-31-2007, 01:34 AM
I'm disappointed we never talked to Iavaroni, even though he wasn't someone I was all ga-ga about. My first thought after SVG is we knew he'd want more money than we were willing to give, but then, why were we interested in Sam? He was the guy who would command the highest salary.

I just wish I knew what the hell TPTB were thinking. But then, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know either.

pwee31
05-31-2007, 01:39 AM
Given that Heisley is trying to jettison the team and there is no GM, don't know if that was the best pick for Iavaroni.

I had read an article, and posted on PD3 a lil while back that Iavaroni was the lead candidate for the Griz job. He went into the interview with someone else from the Suns organization, and they interviewed as a tandem..... Iavaroni for the HC position, and the other guy for GM.

Kegboy
05-31-2007, 01:42 AM
As for the Grizzlies, they're lucky they didn't lose him when they lost the lottery.

Wonder what Seattle's gonna do. Seriously, I hate how long these coaching searches are taking.

btowncolt
05-31-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm disappointed we never talked to Iavaroni, even though he wasn't someone I was all ga-ga about. My first thought after SVG is we knew he'd want more money than we were willing to give, but then, why were we interested in Sam? He was the guy who would command the highest salary.

I just wish I knew what the hell TPTB were thinking. But then, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know either.

Anyone considered that TPTB knew SVG was going to get paid by the Heat either way in '08 so they only wanted to pay him whatever would combine with that to get him to an average salary first year (since they'd be paying Rick that year too), and he wanted to get paid Year 1 as much as he would any other year?

grace
05-31-2007, 01:54 AM
According to PTI it's offical (I assume that's what "breaking news" means).

Roaming Gnome
05-31-2007, 02:01 AM
I'm disappointed we never talked to Iavaroni, even though he wasn't someone I was all ga-ga about.

Maybe there was something about his style, or something they assumed about how he would coach being the reason he wasn't even considered before the start.

Ivaroni's "Roll-a-dex card" wasn't the only one that got skipped when we were looking at coaches.

CableKC
05-31-2007, 03:04 AM
I agree. There is no way I would take SVG, especially after he shot me in the foot.
SVG made it all the way to Iraq to do that? :-o

Naptown_Seth
06-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Sorry, I missed this thread and started a new one for the official ESPN story that just went up an hour or so ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2888585