PDA

View Full Version : Boylan completes second interview yesterday 5/29 {Chicago Tribune}

Frank Slade
05-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Boylan gets 2nd interview with Pacers

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

May 30, 2007, 12:07 AM CDT

Bulls lead assistant Jim Boylan had his second interview with the Pacers for their vacant head-coaching job on Tuesday, according to a league source.

Boylan is the only known candidate to receive a second interview besides former Heat coach Stan Van Gundy, who no longer is under consideration. Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis is awaiting his first interview.

Boylan, 52, met with Pacers Chief Executive Officer Donnie Walsh and president of basketball operations Larry Bird in Orlando, where the NBA is conducting its predraft camp.

Should Boylan land the job, a possible replacement for the Bulls' staff is former Timberwolves and current Marquette assistant Jerry Sichting.

Chicago Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070529bulls,1,3885318.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines)

Just an update, apparently the follow up interview did take place yesterday.

Bball
05-30-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm not advocating him or not advocating him but how is it that Sichting didn't get on the Pacer list of interviewees? Seems like he'd be worthy of an exploratory interview or courtesy at least.

-Bball

Unclebuck
05-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm not advocating him or not advocating him but how is it that Sichting didn't get on the Pacer list of interviewees? Seems like he'd be worthy of an exploratory interview or courtesy at least.

-Bball

Good point - he also played with Bird in Boston for a season or two.

Kegboy
05-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I wonder why Sichting's at Marquette, he's a quality assistant.

swass
05-30-2007, 07:14 PM
"I wonder why Sichting's at Marquette, he's a quality assistant."

Let's think about this like an outsider. I know we are all Pacer fans and would love to coach them...but think as if it were your career.

Take the Pacer gig, with no pics and no potential to get past the 1st round for 2-3 years....if you even make the playoffs....and then get fired?

It's not like the Pacers are "Rebuilding" and have a young core of player...I know we have Granger and Williams but we also have a lot of older veterans...

There is no potential to make the fans happy without 60 wins or Eastern Conf Finals in the next 2 seasons....this city demands excellence...which it deserves...but from the perspective of a first coaching gig....it's digging yourself your own grave.

SWASS - DON'T YOU WISH YOUR BOYFRIEND WAS SWASS LIKE ME....

SIR MIX A LOT 4 LIFE

FlavaDave
05-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Uh............

How does one go about pronouncing "Sichting"?

grace
05-30-2007, 07:45 PM
If you were Kurt Rambis and a team was interviewing someone a second time before they even bothered to interview you would you even bother?

Gyron
05-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Yeah because Ive been to several interviews where they called me in after someone elses second interview had already taken place. You NEVER know what they might have to say or offer.

Bball
05-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Uh............

See Sh Ting

Or rhymes with See Schwing

That's how I always pronounced it anyway.

_Bball

Hicks
05-30-2007, 08:13 PM
If you were Kurt Rambis and a team was interviewing someone a second time before they even bothered to interview you would you even bother?

So are you saying everyone should just not show up to interview with us? After all, we gave SVG two interviews.

Slick Pinkham
05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Uh............

See- sting

CableKC
05-30-2007, 08:22 PM
"I wonder why Sichting's at Marquette, he's a quality assistant."

Let's think about this like an outsider. I know we are all Pacer fans and would love to coach them...but think as if it were your career.

Take the Pacer gig, with no pics and no potential to get past the 1st round for 2-3 years....if you even make the playoffs....and then get fired?

It's not like the Pacers are "Rebuilding" and have a young core of player...I know we have Granger and Williams but we also have a lot of older veterans...

There is no potential to make the fans happy without 60 wins or Eastern Conf Finals in the next 2 seasons....this city demands excellence...which it deserves...but from the perspective of a first coaching gig....it's digging yourself your own grave.

SWASS - DON'T YOU WISH YOUR BOYFRIEND WAS SWASS LIKE ME....

SIR MIX A LOT 4 LIFE
Maybe I missed what you are asking...but if I were a "career" assistant coach and had the choice between being an assistant coach for Marquette or the Pacers....I would pick the Pacers anyday.

Maybe my perception is different then some of yours ( since many of you live in Basketball country USA ), but isn't being offered an assistant coach position in the NBA ( compared to coaching a college team ) similiar to "making it in the Big Leagues"?

CableKC
05-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Grace, since you are our resident Bulls enthusiast......can you tell us anything about this Boylan guy?

Y2J
05-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I have a strong hunch this guy's our next coach.

Tom White
05-30-2007, 08:37 PM
See Sh Ting

Or rhymes with See Schwing

That's how I always pronounced it anyway.

_Bball

Or, how about -

Cease - Ting

Kegboy
05-30-2007, 08:42 PM
So are you saying everyone should just not show up to interview with us? After all, we gave SVG two interviews.

Of course. Regardless of what her avatar says, she doesn't want to lose Boylan, and I'm sure the notion of a division rival going coachless doesn't sound to shabby.

CableKC
05-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a strong hunch this guy's our next coach.
Yeah....I guess its going to happen. Hopefully Boylan isn't scheduling any future interviews with other teams.

FlavaDave
05-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Or, how about -

Cease - Ting

I was thinking Shee - ting, but I knew that couldn't be right. Polite society wouldn't allow it.

Anyone know for sure?

grace
05-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I really don't know all that much about Boylan except he sits next to Skiles on the bench and takes over if Scott gets thrown out. They interview him at half time of some games and he seems to know what he's talking about. As for my opinion he's a Heathcoat/Skiles disciple and that's all I need to know. :thumbup:

As for the second interview thing I just asked because I have a hard time believing Rambis would want to come here. I have an even harder time believing that the Pacers brass would want him over Michael Cooper.

Young
05-31-2007, 12:21 AM
I have hopes for Brian Shaw still. But I really don't believe he will be the guy otherwise I think that Bird would have offered him already.

I just have a gut feeling that the position will go to Jim Boylan.

Here is my thing though.

Rick Carlise is a top 5 coach in this league even if you like him or not. Whether you agree with his offense or the way he deals with young guys or not. Rick is a top 5 coach.

Very few coaches could have done the job Rick has done since coming to Indiana. With all of the drama, injuries, and suspensions.

If I had my choice Larry Bird would be fired and we would keep Rick. But hey that's not the case here.

So I just hope that Jim Boylan brings a much different style to the table than Rick did. I remember asking SVG's offenseive style and I think it was UB who said it was similar to Rick's and I was outraged. I mean because we are making a change here I don't see how it can be because of Rick's coaching record given the BS he has had to put up with here. So this next coach damn well better have a whole different philosphy.

Young
05-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Went on realgm and asked about JB.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=12852998#12852998

Here is a reply.

Your questions-- I cannot answer. But, Jim did have the chance to coach a game that Scott got thrown out of.

To put it nicely, he was nothing short of crap.

That's about the only thing I got from it. Someone gave me a link to a thread that Cable started and they didn't say much in there.

Ragnar
05-31-2007, 12:55 AM
You know the disgusting thing is we could have just hired Skiles instead of Rick.

FlavaDave
05-31-2007, 12:57 AM
You know the disgusting thing is we could have just hired Skiles instead of Rick.

Disgusting? Really?

Kegboy
05-31-2007, 01:44 AM

:suicide4:

FlavaDave
05-31-2007, 05:33 PM
Did Rick coach us to the ECF and win a playoff series after the brawl or did I just dream all that?

Oh wait, one bad season ruined by off-the-court problems negates anything good a coach ever did. I forgot.

avoidingtheclowns
05-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Did Rick coach us to the ECF and win a playoff series after the brawl or did I just dream all that?

Oh wait, one bad season ruined by off-the-court problems negates anything good a coach ever did. I forgot.

yeah we could have had skiles who has yet to sniff the ECF without the added pleasure of major injuries and suspensions.

SKILES (272-235 [.536])
Seasons - 7
Playoffs - 5
Division - 0
Conference - 0
League - 0

CARLISLE (281-211 [.571])
Seasons - 6
Playoffs - 5
Division - 3
Conference - 0
League - 0

absolutely right. disgusting the choice we made. absolutely.

grace
05-31-2007, 08:00 PM
IMO Skiles would have done a better job of keeping players under control. Of course the players would have mutinied and either they'd be gone or he would.

FlavaDave
05-31-2007, 08:02 PM
IMO Skiles would have done a better job of keeping players under control. Of course the players would have mutinied and either they'd be gone or he would.

So, he would have done a better job by........acheiving the same result as Carlisle?

Naptown_Seth
05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Just for the record since this started at PD ALT

You know what will happen. There will be rumors that the Pacers will hire Boylan, we Pacers fan will start to like him (this is already happening), and then for whatever reason he won't be hired and everyone will freak out again. When in reality a few weeks ago most of us have never heard of him.

And maybe this is where Boylan comes into the picture. He's got a strong resume, lots of diverse basketball experience. The only worry I'd have is what his scheme/gameplan might be. Has he created a playing identity or would he just clone Skiles...and is that even a bad thing. See how Mike Brown took a lot of Rick's playbook and style with him to CLE.
As I said at PD ALT, it's not just a case of flavor-of-the-day. Boylan seems like a good option. The other option I mentoined at the time (here) was PJ Carlesimo, he's got a strong resume too and is part of a very winning org right now. He's got a lot of college (ie, young players) experience too.

Don't get me started on the undervalue of Rick Carlisle. 4 top 5 COY finishes. 4. Not one fluke year where his roster got a lot better, and in fact his rosters have basically never gotten better except for year 2 in DET. They've always been the same or worse than they previously were.

COY
2002 - 1st (- Aldeman, Scott, McMillian, Cheeks)
2003 - 4th (Pop, Mussleman, Sloan - Aldeman)
2004 - 5th (H Brown, Sloan, Porter, SVG)
2005 - 2nd (D'Antoni - McMillian, Skiles, Karl)

Okay, so in that 4 year span you had Rick with 4 top 5 appearances, Nate, Sloan and Aldeman with 2 each. That's it, no one else did it more than once in that period. On a national level he's highly respected, even if some locals forget it.