PDA

View Full Version : If I ever stop going to Pacers games, this will be the reason

Unclebuck
05-30-2007, 04:21 PM
It won't be high ticket prices, it won't be a bad home team, and it certainly won't be because the home team plays a slow down offense. If it were any of those things, I would have stopped going to games years ago.

No, if I ever do stop going, it will be because of the "carnival like" atmosphere, and I must say Cleveland is now the worst. Their PA guy is the most obnoxious and loud thing I've ever heard.

Luckily, Reb Porter, the Pacers PA guy is more old school, and even though the sound effects and constant blaring music does get on my nerves when I'm at Conseco, it hasn't totoally turned me off yet.

I know why teams do this - they cater to the non-basketball fans who want to see and hear a show and if your team isn't any good you have to keep them entertained

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2007-05-29-McCarthy_N.htm

Announcers' gripe: Loud music, fire steal focus from basketball
Updated 9h 11m ago | Comment | Recommend 1 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY

Remember when the competition and drama of the NBA playoffs were entertainment enough?
Well, the league office should straighten out franchises that are annoying TV viewers, and fans inside the arena, with too much loud music, forced chants and elaborate pyrotechnics.

Cheering fans are great. But too many teams use blaring PA systems and dance routines to turn their arenas into Thunderdome, drowning some of the telecasts out for viewers, announcers say.

"There's far too much noise. They have to take it down a few decibels," says ABC play-by-play caller Mike Breen, who's calling the NBA's Western Conference finals between the San Antonio Spurs and Utah Jazz with analysts Mark Jackson and ex-coach Jeff Van Gundy.

Adds Breen: "People are paying good money, so they feel like they have to entertain them from start to finish. But if you polled regular basketball fans, they would prefer far less of it at the arena. It would allow you to talk basketball during the timeouts."

His pet peeve? "I hate pumped-up music while the ball is in play. I see no reason for it."

During TNT's coverage of the Cleveland Cavaliers' 88-82 home victory against the Detroit Pistons in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals Sunday, analyst Steve Kerr commented to partner Doug Collins on how much things have changed since their playing days.

"It used to be a basketball game; now's it's a circus out here," Kerr said. "There's all kinds of action going on; there's streamers, confetti (and) guys with fireballs."

The headsets that sports announcers wear enable them to block out much of the din, Kerr says. But the entertainment overdose puts off hard-core fans, he adds.

"To me it's all about the game," Kerr says. "My favorite place to play was always the Boston Garden. It was stripped down to bare bones. There was a guy who played the organ — and that was it. It was pure basketball.

"But the game has changed. It's now more about entertainment."

Kerr says he and Collins joked about their eyebrows "being tinged" by fireballs at Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena on Sunday.

Breen, who'll also work the NBA Finals, agrees LeBron James' home court is one of the worst offenders at generating unnecessary racket: "Cleveland gets crazy. They have such great fans they don't need all that stuff."

Top quotes: Tony Kornheiser's scouting report Tuesday on ESPN's Pardon the Interruption on what teams need to know about the San Antonio Spurs: "(Manu) Ginobili flops, (Tim) Duncan complains and Tony Parker's got a hot girlfriend." …

FlavaDave
05-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Which came first, passive fans or overzealous PA systems?

I would be loud no matter what, but I wonder what the crowd would sound like without the PA? Especially with the Geist neighborhood association taking up the lower bowl.

Trader Joe
05-30-2007, 04:48 PM
It won't be high ticket prices, it won't be a bad home team, and it certainly won't be because the home team plays a slow down offense. If it were any of those things, I would have stopped going to games years ago.

No, if I ever do stop going, it will be because of the "carnival like" atmosphere, and I must say Cleveland is now the worst. Their PA guy is the most obnoxious and loud thing I've ever heard.

Luckily, Reb Porter, the Pacers PA guy is more old school, and even though the sound effects and constant blaring music does get on my nerves when I'm at Conseco, it hasn't totoally turned me off yet.

I know why teams do this - they cater to the non-basketball fans who want to see and hear a show and if your team isn't any good you have to keep them entertained

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2007-05-29-McCarthy_N.htm

Announcers' gripe: Loud music, fire steal focus from basketball
Updated 9h 11m ago | Comment | Recommend 1 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY

Remember when the competition and drama of the NBA playoffs were entertainment enough?
Well, the league office should straighten out franchises that are annoying TV viewers, and fans inside the arena, with too much loud music, forced chants and elaborate pyrotechnics.

Cheering fans are great. But too many teams use blaring PA systems and dance routines to turn their arenas into Thunderdome, drowning some of the telecasts out for viewers, announcers say.

"There's far too much noise. They have to take it down a few decibels," says ABC play-by-play caller Mike Breen, who's calling the NBA's Western Conference finals between the San Antonio Spurs and Utah Jazz with analysts Mark Jackson and ex-coach Jeff Van Gundy.

Adds Breen: "People are paying good money, so they feel like they have to entertain them from start to finish. But if you polled regular basketball fans, they would prefer far less of it at the arena. It would allow you to talk basketball during the timeouts."

His pet peeve? "I hate pumped-up music while the ball is in play. I see no reason for it."

During TNT's coverage of the Cleveland Cavaliers' 88-82 home victory against the Detroit Pistons in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals Sunday, analyst Steve Kerr commented to partner Doug Collins on how much things have changed since their playing days.

"It used to be a basketball game; now's it's a circus out here," Kerr said. "There's all kinds of action going on; there's streamers, confetti (and) guys with fireballs."

The headsets that sports announcers wear enable them to block out much of the din, Kerr says. But the entertainment overdose puts off hard-core fans, he adds.

"To me it's all about the game," Kerr says. "My favorite place to play was always the Boston Garden. It was stripped down to bare bones. There was a guy who played the organ and that was it. It was pure basketball.

"But the game has changed. It's now more about entertainment."

Kerr says he and Collins joked about their eyebrows "being tinged" by fireballs at Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena on Sunday.

Breen, who'll also work the NBA Finals, agrees LeBron James' home court is one of the worst offenders at generating unnecessary racket: "Cleveland gets crazy. They have such great fans they don't need all that stuff."

Top quotes: Tony Kornheiser's scouting report Tuesday on ESPN's Pardon the Interruption on what teams need to know about the San Antonio Spurs: "(Manu) Ginobili flops, (Tim) Duncan complains and Tony Parker's got a hot girlfriend."

QFT UB. One of the WORST big screen things they put on is the dumb bit where Ashton Kutcher and Samuel L. Jackson yell at the fans to tell them to get loud and cheer. First of all I HATE Ashton Kutcher, second of all I HATE Ashton Kutcher and third of all aside from hating Ashton Kutcher I HATE celebrities being turned into cheerleaders. They think they are getting the crowd excited or something, I disagree all it ever does for me is make me think Jesus what are the Pacers coming to.
I agree on the Cleveland thing also. Their actual crowd has been dead all playoffs.

Robobtowncolt
05-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Whew, I thought you were going to post Skaut's picture but with the guys in Pacer jerseys.

Trader Joe
05-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Whew, I thought you were going to post Skaut's picture but with the guys in Pacer jerseys.

But yet you still looked anyway...hmmm...:devil:

Kegboy
05-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Nothing against the guy personally, but DJ Paul B is on the list for Reasons Why..., in the teens I believe. Of course, it didn't help that he started right after my concussion when I was extremely sensitive to loud noises.

Dr. Goldfoot
05-30-2007, 05:41 PM
One of the reason I don't like going as well. I always miss half the game watching something stupid going on in the stands etc....

Bball
05-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I question what these things even add to the entertainment or have to do with the 'experience' to bring fans (or potential fans) back to a game(s)?

-Bball

Unclebuck
05-30-2007, 06:22 PM
I question what these things even add to the entertainment or have to do with the 'experience' to bring fans (or potential fans) back to a game(s)?

-Bball

It is beyond me, but I've spoken with more than a few very casual Pacers fans or even non-Pacers fans who go to probably 10 games a year for free. When I talk to them they usually ask me questions about the team and I know they don't really care about the gory details, but the conversation usually ends with them saying something like - "well win or lose the games are fun because there is always so much going on" And by that they mean all the non-basketball stuff.

DisplacedKnick
05-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I can usually tune out the rest of it but I think there should be a league rule against any sort of electronically generated noise going on while the ball's in play.

FlavaDave
05-30-2007, 06:41 PM
It is beyond me, but I've spoken with more than a few very casual Pacers fans or even non-Pacers fans who go to probably 10 games a year for free. When I talk to them they usually ask me questions about the team and I know they don't really care about the gory details, but the conversation usually ends with them saying something like - "well win or lose the games are fun because there is always so much going on" And by that they mean all the non-basketball stuff.

Between-action entertainment is a cherished part of baseball, and there is room for it in basketball. And I realize how fun it is for the casual fan. But I would put forth four rules:

1) Only do entertainment skits during timeouts or quarter breaks.
2) All entertainment is shut off during the fourth quarter. Period.
3) Rule #2 doesn't apply if and ONLY if it is a clip from 'Hoosiers'.
4) Never, never, NEVER start a chant of 'De-fense!' through the PA (that's only for the fans to decide).

Naptown_Seth
05-30-2007, 07:41 PM
This is why my buddy and I immediately hated arena football. It's what I hate about some baseball stadiums (and it's hit and miss even at spring training stadiums) as well. At Astros games you got a blast of the player's song as he came to the plate and it just was annoying. Compare it to the quiet bliss of Wrigley field, then note that the fans at Wrigley manage to stay fired up anyway.

A mascot running around during a timeout, cheerleaders, even some of the games, those are fine. It's the hard sell approach with effects, music and announcer yelling that are annoying.

grace
05-30-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't know what has happened to the fan base, but ever since the Pacers went to the finals the fans at the games have forgotten to cheer. I used to be one who cheered all the time (just ask Kegboy) then it got to the point where I was the only one of a handful of people cheering so I more or less stopped.

The worst time was the playoff series against Detroit the year before Reggie retired. You would think Pacers fans wouldn't need any encouragement to cheer, but they did. When Kegboy has to stand up to encourage the masses to cheer on their team you know you're in trouble.

Robobtowncolt
05-30-2007, 08:11 PM
This seems like a pretty negative intentioned thread. I vote we all boycott it.

Robobtowncolt
05-30-2007, 08:12 PM
The last game I went to (I think) was the free ticket bonanaza game provided by MagicRat. I don't really remember much about it either way beyond indygeezer moving his wallet to his front pocket after he saw me.

ABADays
05-30-2007, 08:38 PM
The last game I went to (I think) was the free ticket bonanaza game provided by MagicRat. I don't really remember much about it either way beyond indygeezer moving his wallet to his front pocket after he saw me.

You aren't very observant. The whole SECTION does that when you are there - not just Geezer.

Gyron
05-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Are you sure Geezer didn't move that big fat wallet to his front ocket so he could just sit down? I mean he has all that real estate fat cash rolling in now.....

RWB
05-30-2007, 09:48 PM
but the conversation usually ends with them saying something like - "well win or lose the games are fun because there is always so much going on" And by that they mean all the non-basketball stuff.

If that's the case then can you really blame the Ps for doing that? They know the die hards and addicted like the PD membership will show up, so why wouldn't they focus on the walkup crowd?

8.9_seconds
05-30-2007, 10:04 PM
It was pretty funny after the Spurs/jazz game when they immediately started playing 1000 miles by Vanessa Carlton as the fans pelted the Spurs with trash.

bnd45
05-30-2007, 10:39 PM
This topic should have come up sooner. For whatever reason this is an area that I pay attention to. UB is dead on with the Cleveland PA guy being one of the worst. The sad thing is if they meet the Spurs, the teams with the 2 most annoying PA annoucners will be squaring off in the finals. ("Here come the SPURS!" and calling players by their first names only drive me crazy) Luckily the Bulls did the job by eliminating the Heat and their tool of a PA guy ("2 minutes...Dos minudos!")

Mason, the Pistons guy, is great. He's original and doesn't go too overboard. "DEEE-TROIT BASKETBALL" is annoying at times, but I love his intros, his cal pronounciations of opposing stars, and my favorite Mason line is the random outburt of "Pistons basketball on the sideline!"

Mr. Porter is still the man. The home run call, the way he refers to a 3 when an opponent hits (Steve Nash, 3 point basket.), his 2 minute call ("2 minutes, 2'UH!") and of course "The Pacers win, The PACERS WIN!" (Didn't hear it as much as normal this season)

Lord Helmet
05-31-2007, 12:20 AM
I never had a problem with Paul B, but I do have a problem with stupid rave beats being played while the game is in action.

Lame.

Stop, doing it, NOW.

Roaming Gnome
05-31-2007, 12:28 AM
But, no one mentions when Mark Cuban had his experiment of turning off all sound effects and music at anytime the clock was running. He had set aside 6 games, thru the year where there would be no defense drums, no music on offense/defense and no sound effects of any kind while the ball was in play. The problem was that the Mavricks took so many complaints from season ticket holders that the experiment only ran 2 of the 6 games.

Personally, I actually like the in game music and defense drums but not on every single possession! I often wish that sometimes they would find points in a game where the crowd is actually going and let it stand on its own. I don't think a good crowd needs defense drums or added PA sound when a team is making a defensive stand at the end of a game or trying to get back into a ballgame where they have trailed most the game.

As for times when we have the "Conseco Morgue" happening, I couldn't see not having some music or defense drums during some possessions. I wouldn't be bored, but I couldn't say the same for my wife or daughter. If they didn't like to go to some games...It would be very hard to justify that much expense for entertainment that they had no interest in. Not every season ticket holder is a hardcore basketball fan. People buy season tickets for their kids and uninterested spouses, yeah...it sucks to have to cater to making sure the casual fans are entertained, but season ticket holders are more likely to bring their FAMILY who are casual fans over other hardcore basketball fans that would appreciate a "toned down" arena.

As for the "jacked up" PA announcers in Cleveland and Detroit. Yeah, we may hate them, but they are liked by their home fans or they wouldn't have jobs. Look, Mason must be having some success in Detroit because he is known on first name basis, Cleveland hired a guy that bites his style and HE was asked to be the voice of the All-Star game out of 29 other guys doing the same job. Also, everyone in the league knows this little ditty:

Deeee-Troooiiit Baaasss-kkeettt-baaallllll!!!!

I never really had a problem with Paul B, I just thought that the guy running the sound mixers at the Fieldhouse does a terrible job because Paul B and whatever female emcee they have always comes out very very loud and that is no fault of anyone except for who ever is running the sound board. I believe Paul B even mentioned that the sound guy always had him comming across too loud.

Unclebuck
05-31-2007, 12:48 AM
I didn't have a problem with Paul B.

Gnome, all your points are well made and I agree with them - I just don't like what it has become.

grace
05-31-2007, 02:01 AM
Mason, the Pistons guy, is great. He's original and doesn't go too overboard. "DEEE-TROIT BASKETBALL" is annoying at times, but I love his intros, his cal pronounciations of opposing stars, and my favorite Mason line is the random outburt of "Pistons basketball on the sideline!"

Personally I think Mason is the most annoying announcer in basketball. "BaBaBaBillips!" makes me want to gouge my eye out with a fork.

owl
05-31-2007, 03:48 AM
Personally I think Mason is the most annoying announcer in basketball. "BaBaBaBillips!" makes me want to gouge my eye out with a fork.

That is dramatic but funny :-)
Thanks for the laugh Grace

grace
05-31-2007, 03:57 AM

Glad you found my pain funny instead of sarcastic when actually I was being serious.

I was going to PM Magic Rat and have him make a picture of me with a fork sticking in my eye, but Kegboy didn't think it was funny so never mind. :kickcan:

Los Angeles
05-31-2007, 06:30 AM

Just for you, big guy. :flirt:

<---

MagicRat
05-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Just for you, big guy. :flirt:

<---

I don't think that design is going to make it onto the Today Show........

Naptown_Seth
05-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Oh you think that's bad, "DEEE-TROIT BASSS-KET-BALLLL" makes me want to shoot myself in the face.
;)

Having been that the AFCCG this year I can safely say that if you have the right team in the right moment you don't need to egg on the fans. And perhaps if dead silence is the response to your team it says something about the situation.

To me some of that prompting comes off as lipstick on a pig, you still know that people aren't into it. In fact it points out the issue to me as much as it hides it.

Now the t-shirt games and mascot stuff for the kids, that's fine with me. That's a totally different aspect. It's not false hype for the game itself, it's the time killer while we wait for the game to resume.

Taunting PA announcers just play into the bad fan thing IMO. Mason's attitude is popular because it represents how the fans feel about the opponents, not because it sounds good.

Chick Hearn could PA a game in Detroit, one of the all-time great NBA voices (PxP for the Lakers, not PA), and they'd HATE him. Why? Because he wouldn't metaphorically say "YOU SUCK!" to the opponent after every other play.

Detroit basketball to me sounds a lot like "Mom-mee loves me bet-ter" or some other childish taunt - Eddie Murphy's "You ain't got no ice cream" also comes to mind. Maybe Mason could do that Murphy ice-cream dance too, that would be fitting.

Hicks
05-31-2007, 10:22 PM
MOOOOOMyyyyyyyyyyy LOVES ME betterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :laugh:

thunderbird1245
05-31-2007, 10:50 PM
No doubt that Im old fashioned, but I hate some of the cheesy effects UB mentioned as well. Anyone remember the race car sounds we used to have play in the Larry Brown era? I hated that too.

However, I love the atmosphere of college and high school games with the pep bands playing pre game and during warmups and even timeouts. Id probably like to see something similar for us, at least some of the time. You could rotate some of the college bands from the area, maybe even some of the high schools if you wanted.

Of course, some people would probably think thats a bad idea too, but I think it would be great.

Tbird

robocop's cousin
05-31-2007, 11:22 PM
i like it when that Pacemate Melanie dunks with boomer n them d00ds..

also, she's hoTT

Kegboy
06-01-2007, 12:14 AM
No doubt that Im old fashioned, but I hate some of the cheesy effects UB mentioned as well. Anyone remember the race car sounds we used to have play in the Larry Brown era? I hated that too.

However, I love the atmosphere of college and high school games with the pep bands playing pre game and during warmups and even timeouts. Id probably like to see something similar for us, at least some of the time. You could rotate some of the college bands from the area, maybe even some of the high schools if you wanted.

Of course, some people would probably think thats a bad idea too, but I think it would be great.

Tbird

I was thinking about posting the same thing, but Unclebuck hates college basketball, so I figured it wouldn't fly. :shrug:

grace
06-01-2007, 08:30 AM

Tbird

Having bands would be great, but I can guarantee you when the Purdue band came most of the crowd would boo them unmercifully even though their band is the best :censored: band in the land.