PDA

View Full Version : What should Bird be asking?

Jose Slaughter
05-16-2007, 06:45 PM
What questions should Bird be asking the guys he's interviewing for the head coaching spot?

indyman37
05-16-2007, 08:52 PM
I think the two questions he will and needs to be asking are:
-what style of play they would like to coach.
-will he be disciplinary and hold players...every player...accountable for their actions.

Make it three...
-are you comfortable coaching a team that is rebuilding or do you want a team that will win now?

Roaming Gnome
05-16-2007, 09:01 PM
How do you feel about developing our players, especially our young big man we have or may aquire?

Do you have a method on developing our young talent during the course of a regular season to be fully aware of what we have on our bench?

Jermaniac
05-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Will you allow your players to treat you like you are their *****?

:lol:

maragin
05-16-2007, 09:25 PM
"Does this jacket make me look fat?"

TripleThreat
05-16-2007, 09:38 PM
1.) Do you know John Mellencamp?
2.) How hard can you hit this bong?

Unclebuck
05-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I'd want to know in great detail how he was going to teach the team to play defense. If I were conducting the interview, I'd spend the first hour or so of the interview just discussing defense and if the prospect seemed to be getting bored or seemed to be running out of things to say about defense - then I'd move on to the next candidate.

I might ask what style of offense he'll play - but that would be towards the end of the interview and we'd discuss that for about 2 or 3 minutes

FrenchConnection
05-16-2007, 11:30 PM
How's this year's crop of freshman chicks looking?

Evan_The_Dude
05-16-2007, 11:31 PM
What is your opinion of this roster as it sits now?

What types of players would you like to see here to allow you to do your best coaching job when it comes to this teams identity offensively & defensively?

What kind of commitment do you have to the style you expect your players to play?

What are your personal coaching goals and how do you plan to achieve them?

What kind of expectations do you have of the teams upper management?

You've obviously heard about the troubles this franchise has had with players during the brawl season, then recently with the club shooting and fight incidents. How would you have handled those situations as a coach [keeping in mind that nobody was convicted of anything yet in the club incidents]?

What do you think it would take to get our fans back into the Fieldhouse [just your opinion]?

How many years would you like to commit to this franchise?

If offered the position, are you willing to submit to a drug/alcohol & background check/finger printing?

(ok, the last question was a joke.... or was it?)

FrenchConnection
05-16-2007, 11:32 PM
What is your opinion of this roster as it sits now?

What types of players would you like to see here to allow you to do your best coaching job when it comes to this teams identity offensively & defensively?

What kind of commitment do you have to the style you expect your players to play?

What are your personal coaching goals and how do you plan to achieve them?

What kind of expectations do you have of the teams upper management?

You've obviously heard about the troubles this franchise has had with players during the brawl season, then recently with the club shooting and fight incidents. How would you have handled those situations as a coach [keeping in mind that nobody was convicted of anything yet in the club incidents]?

What do you think it would take to get our fans back into the Fieldhouse [just your opinion]?

How many years would you like to commit to this franchise?

If offered the position, are you willing to submit to a drug/alcohol & background check/finger printing?

(ok, the last question was a joke.... or was it?)

Happy you did not conduct my job interview. You are tough!

pwee31
05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
If I make a goof, can you cover it up?

grace
05-17-2007, 12:44 AM
What would Kegboy do?

Bball
05-17-2007, 01:31 AM
What questions should Bird be asking the guys he's interviewing for the head coaching spot?

He should simply let them explain their coaching philosophy. Then, armed with that knowledge, he should specifically ask how they would handle some hypothetical scenarios. He should make sure to get the coach's feelings on certain players (both currently on the team and also players from other teams simply as examples) and ask how these players would fit into the coach's system or how he'd mold the system to work with them.

I'd also want to know how the coach would handle specific disciplinary problems. And I'd spell them out: tardiness... drunkeness/high... curfew.... lockerroom distractions... on court altercations... bench decorum.... etc.

Like Uncle Buck, I'd want to hear plenty about the plans for defense. I still believe winning begins on the defensive end of the court. ...But that doesn't mean offense isn't important.

And I'd want some idea of who this coach would want as assistants. Be it specific names or just a generic idea of the types of people he would look at.

That said... Does it matter? Is the next coach going to be anything but a benchwarmer? Are we going to commit to a vision where the next coach can accomplish any foundation building at all or will we throw spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks in order to scrape into the playoffs ASAP? Or are we just going to put some more lipstick on the pig and trot out a shiny new coach without addressing the core problems?

-Bball

Naptown_Seth
05-17-2007, 02:12 AM
How's this year's crop of freshman chicks looking?
Let me tie that into Triple's post...

"You know what I like about these Pacemates?"
(coaching candidate shakes head)
"I keep getting older but they stay the same age, yes they do."
:cool:

For the real topic, maybe he needs to ask them if they've got any vision for the team because he's fresh out of ideas.

Mourning
05-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Do you happen to know how Earl lives his life now?

Who is the second best Kegboy?

OnlyPacersLeft
05-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Jermaine O'neal is our guy...yes or no?

Tom White
05-29-2007, 02:28 AM
He should ask if Pacers Digest is back up yet.
'Cause its the only place he can get any decent ideas.

Young
05-29-2007, 02:32 AM
- What is their coaching philosphy?
- How would he have this team play?
- Who does he like on this team, who doesn't he like?
- What changes need to be made?
- Who does he want as assistants?
- How far away from being a contender does he feel this team is?

beast23
05-29-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd want to know in great detail how he was going to teach the team to play defense. If I were conducting the interview, I'd spend the first hour or so of the interview just discussing defense and if the prospect seemed to be getting bored or seemed to be running out of things to say about defense - then I'd move on to the next candidate.

I might ask what style of offense he'll play - but that would be towards the end of the interview and we'd discuss that for about 2 or 3 minutesI totally agree with this.

And when they got to discussing offense, I'd hope the candidate would respond with, "I'd really like a team capable of running, but I respect the fact that our rebuilding process will probably start with a 1/2-court oriented team."

As for "What should Bird be asking?", I really think Bird is probably asking,

"Who am I, and how the hell did I get here?"

Slick Pinkham
05-30-2007, 04:09 AM
As for "What should Bird be asking?", I really think Bird is probably asking,

"Who am I, and how the hell did I get here?"

:)

I was thinking that Bird should be asking "Would you like fries with that?"

speakout4
05-30-2007, 06:02 AM
Who should we trade and for whom since our last trade didn't exactly turn out too well?
Can you get JT to play for you because JT is choosy whom he plays for?
Can you get Murphy to play in the paint because he has a tendency to wander away from his post?
Can you find the right medication for David?
Can you relate to our players such as go to gun and knife shows with them

Kraft
05-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Well, after the new coach is hired ...

"Who on this roster can you win a championship with?"

and ...

"Who on this roster will prevent you from winning a championship?"

Sadly, those were questions we needed five years ago.