PDA

View Full Version : Which year do you want your first round pick?

Coop
05-14-2007, 08:27 PM
The Pacer's season has been over for several weeks now, and everyone has had some time to reflect on where they think the team should go from here. Having said that, would you rather us squeek our way into the top 10 this year or would you rather us miss out on the draft completely, start rebuilding, and go for a player like Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley or Eric Gordon next year?

For those of you that don't know, if we end up getting into the top 10 in the draft lottery this year, we automatically lose next years pick to Atlanta as part of the Harrington deal. If I'm wrong about that someone correct me, but I'm pretty sure thats how it is.

Shade
05-14-2007, 08:32 PM

Shade
05-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Btw, if we were to "sneak into" the Top 10 this year, it would actually be sneaking into the Top 3, and that makes the 2007 pick infinitely better than what the 2008 pick would be.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
05-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I picked 2008. Im guessing there will be a good chance we will have a top 3 next year compared to this year where we dont even have a top 10. Thats how worried I am about next year.

Anthem
05-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Barring a lottery miracle, we've already lost the pick. So I'm not sure what the point is.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
05-14-2007, 08:49 PM
By the way, I wouldnt be surprised to see TPTB make a trade for a top 10 pick this year. In fact if JO does get traded, I think a top 10 pick will be involved.

CableKC
05-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Barring a lottery miracle, we've already lost the pick. So I'm not sure what the point is.
I know...I'm waiting for NaptownSeth to weigh in on this.....I would much rather take a heavy dose of reality this year then have to take it in small doses over the next 2 seasons.

avoidingtheclowns
05-14-2007, 10:25 PM
well i think the point is whether you'd want to trade into a first round pick for this year or have the 2008... i think we've got only a sliver of a chance... i'd put the odds of getting top 10 slightly higher than winning the championship this season

speakout4
05-14-2007, 10:34 PM
We want to get the pick this year and not suck next year so that the pick will be in the late first round. I have trouble with those people who want a top ten pick next year because that means rooting for more double digit losing streaks which to me is insanity.

Jermaniac
05-14-2007, 10:44 PM

That **** is filled with PG's and SG's.

Y2J
05-14-2007, 10:49 PM
I would have rather had both, and since our pick next year is top-8 protected, it was very possible.

But given that if we were to have sneaked into the top-10 before the end of the season, it would've been no higher than #8, I'll gladly take the 2008 1st.

I hope the Pacers trade J.O. and a bad contract for a top-10 pick and big time expirings, then have the worst record in the league next year and land O.J. Mayo.

2007 top-10 pick, Mayo, Granger, Williams, Diogu, enough capspace for a max contract would be light years ahead of where we're at right now.

maragin
05-15-2007, 12:12 AM
"Would you rather have a top 3 pick in this years draft or an unknown pick in next years?"

Um, I'll take the top 3 pick Alex.

Jermaniac
05-15-2007, 12:29 AM
If it was a TOP 2 pick this year I would take it.

Trader Joe
05-15-2007, 01:31 AM
I would have rather had both, and since our pick next year is top-8 protected, it was very possible.

But given that if we were to have sneaked into the top-10 before the end of the season, it would've been no higher than #8, I'll gladly take the 2008 1st.

I hope the Pacers trade J.O. and a bad contract for a top-10 pick and big time expirings, then have the worst record in the league next year and land O.J. Mayo.

2007 top-10 pick, Mayo, Granger, Williams, Diogu, enough capspace for a max contract would be light years ahead of where we're at right now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, selecting OJ Mayo would set the Pacers back another 5 years.

Y2J
05-15-2007, 06:48 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, selecting OJ Mayo would set the Pacers back another 5 years.

How would adding a potential megastar guard set the Pacers back 5 years?

In January 2007, Mayo allegedly assaulted referee, Mike Lazo, after being ejected from a Huntington High game vs. Capital High School at the Charleston Civic Center (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_Civic_Center).<sup id="_ref-4" class="reference">[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oj_mayo#_note-4)</sup> According to West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_Secondary_School_Activities_Commissi on) rules, Mayo was suspended for two games. However due to allegations supported by video evidence that Lazo had overreacted and faked the incident, a temporary restraining order was signed by Cabell County (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabell_County%2C_West_Virginia) Circuit Court Judge Dan O'Hanlan, temporarily lifting the suspensions on Mayo and five other players suspended due to incidents at that game.

On March 9, 2007, Mayo and three other men were cited by the Cabell County (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabell_County%2C_West_Virginia) Sheriff's Dept. for misdemeanor simple possession of marijuana. Officers found the cannabis in a car in which Mayo was a passenger and, since no one claimed possession, all occupants were ticketed.<sup id="_ref-7" class="reference">[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oj_mayo#_note-7)</sup> Charges against Mayo were dropped on March 12, 2007 after one of the other passengers in the vehicle took responsibility for the marijuana.<sup id="_ref-8" class="reference">[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oj_mayo#_note-8)
</sup>

grace
05-15-2007, 08:33 AM
If we had a chance for the top pick this year why would we give that up for next year?

granger
05-15-2007, 09:34 AM
we ll pick in both this years' first round and next
we should

whether with lottery or trade

OakMoses
05-15-2007, 09:58 AM
As others have pointed out, the 2007 pick would be in the top 3. In that case, I'll take it. With a couple roster tweeks and a top 3 pick in this draft, the Pacers will be a playoff team next year and we'll be shipping a pick in the late teens over to Atlanta, just like we thought we would.

Robobtowncolt
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Still haven't changed my tune from before the Harrington trade.....I'd rather have both.

Trader Joe
05-15-2007, 11:00 AM
How would adding a potential megastar guard set the Pacers back 5 years?

</SUP>

You conveniently left out the part about how he has changed high schools 4 times in 4 years. How he has been suspended for assaulting other students. You left out the part about how he controlled his entire recruiting with USC like a spoiled little baby. I could care less about him being found with weed and whether or not the charges were dropped. I don't care if he smokes. However, I do care about the first three things mentioned because they are a true show of character. How one goes to 4 high schools in 4 years just boggles my mind.

Hicks
05-15-2007, 11:12 AM
You conveniently left out the part about how he has changed high schools 4 times in 4 years. How he has been suspended for assaulting other students. You left out the part about how he controlled his entire recruiting with USC like a spoiled little baby. I could care less about him being found with weed and whether or not the charges were dropped. I don't care if he smokes. However, I do care about the first three things mentioned because they are a true show of character. How one goes to 4 high schools in 4 years just boggles my mind.

Don't forget his ejection from his last game (not that bad, but stupid and immature), and his bit with hitting a ref (again not as bad as it's sometimes made out to be, but stupid and immature).

No thanks.

OakMoses
05-15-2007, 12:08 PM
This franchise is in no place to spend a top 5 draft pick on a potential headcase. In the past few years they've had to trade both Artest and Jackson for less talented players. This offseason we'll probably have to package Tinsley with good player to get rid off him. This will likely result in another net talent loss. If there's any organization that has learned to stay away from headcases over the past couple seasons, it has to be the Pacers.

Mayo could be the next Magic Johnson, but he could also be the next Sebastian Telfair, Stephon Marbury, or Ron Artest.

Young
05-15-2007, 12:27 PM
All I can say is if our pick is top 3 this year it better end up being Kevin Durant. I'd take KD at 1 or 2.

Major Cold
05-15-2007, 02:14 PM
If we trade JO this summer, then I want next seasons.

If we keep him and get rid of Tins, I would want this year's.

Bball
05-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Regardless of what happens this year, we're likely lottery bound next year too. Hopefully we'll trade our way into the draft because the odds of getting something from the draft increase when you actually have a pick... let alone consecutive picks over the course of a couple of seasons.

But even if we picked first this year the lottery is most likely still in our future for the near term. And if something isn't done with management, then it's a long term issue.

-Bball

Evan_The_Dude
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
We're going to end up with a player from this years draft in some way shape or form. Yet we'll still get our first round pick next year. Take my words to Vegas.