PDA

View Full Version : How do deals take place?

TheLemonSong
05-13-2007, 08:45 AM
There is alot of interesting discussions and proposals about trades/deals on this forum, and it really got me thinking about *how* these deals take place...

Do teams call one another, e-mail, or meet in person most often?

Who is present in these decisions? Always just the Pres/GM or others? (Would JO be present, for example)

Do you say to a team: We'll give you X for Y, as I did with baseball cards when I was 10. Or do you say "What will you give me for X" or do you say "What do you want and what do you have to give?"

I think certainly it depends on a team, but let's look at the Pacers...it seems like our trades/deals have come via lots of different avenues in the past few years...

Hopefully this will open up some interesting conversation.

Tom White
05-13-2007, 08:56 AM
I would think it would be more like team A calling team B and saying "We are interested in this player of yours. Would you consider trading him, and what would it take?" Past that point counter-offers are made.

I would not expect a player to be involved in the negotiations, but once talks got serious I could imagine the team trying to acquire a given player might want to talk to that player.

bulldog
05-13-2007, 09:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QibGO_QKzQE

watch this video of colangelo working the phones

Naptown_Seth
05-13-2007, 11:09 AM

Without watching I assume this is the one that was posted before which features a very short conversation with Walsh at one point (or it was edited to look short). This is the first thing I thought of when reading the initial post myself. :)

I think this is why journalists continue to do the rumor thing. It's a bit like 2 HS kids that want to date. They can't talk straight with each other half the time so instead you get things like "did she say she liked me?"

They probably do read some articles about interest and follow that up with a phone call of their own just to find out. So the rumor doesn't make them do something they don't want to, but it will get them to call on something that sounds good to them and might not have happened otherwise just because neither side thought the other was interested at all.

But that's just a hunch, could be nothing like that ever.

aero
05-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I wish i could have seen more of that footage. That stuff is very interesting to me. Its cool to see what all goes on behind closed doors.

Hicks
05-13-2007, 12:22 PM
I wish i could have seen more of that footage. That stuff is very interesting to me. Its cool to see what all goes on behind closed doors.

Yeah, I wish I could see a lot more. Even of just that night with Colangelo. Donnie Walsh, Larry Bird, other GMs, etc. That'd be amazing to get to see.

As to the original questions posted at the top of the thread, you should try sending those via email to Mike Wells, Mark Montieth, and maybe Conrad Brunner and see if you could get them to ask Donnie Walsh to give a fake scenario of how a conversation typically goes in these situations. NOT just a single phone call, but from initial conversation to it's a done deal and players are moving.

SoupIsGood
05-13-2007, 01:30 PM
That video was really cool. I thought it was funny how his conversation with Donnie was just a few seconds long. We must have really been sold on Shawne.

Hicks
05-13-2007, 03:03 PM
That video was really cool. I thought it was funny how his conversation with Donnie was just a few seconds long. We must have really been sold on Shawne.

Actually, if you look closely they edit the moment at least twice, which told me it was actually probably a long (-ish) conversation that for whatever reason they decided to clip out.

pwee31
05-13-2007, 03:24 PM
That was pretty cool to watch. It definitely looked like the Donnie conversation was edited and was probably longer. I wish there was footage of us doing this somewhere, just to see some of the things we were trying to do.

Jermaniac
05-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I wish there was a video of Mully talking to Walsh and Bird about their deal.

It would be great to see the shock on Mullys face after Walsh and Bird said they would take Dunleavy and Murphy.

indyman37
05-13-2007, 04:09 PM
I know this is off topic but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this. I was looking for the Pacers video on youtube and I found this video with Tins in it with a little kid:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KLUXuFeQ5tA

Shade
05-13-2007, 06:51 PM

That video was amazing.

It sounds like Ainge was being difficult when disclosing info on Marcus Williams. :laugh:

ABADays
05-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Mine usually take place on a very dark corner under the broken street light with the yellow paint stripe on it.

Shade
05-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Mine usually take place on a very dark corner under the broken street light with the yellow paint stripe on it.

Nothing beats btown's negotiating headquarters...

http://candyaddict.com/blog/candy_pictures/free_candy_van.jpg

And yet, Billy Knight keeps coming back. :shrug:

rexnom
05-13-2007, 08:45 PM
LOVE this video. I love how Colangelo calls Paxson for a PG...then for Sefalosha....then to see what Philly is doing with the pick...then to try to steal deng...then get in his head "wow you guys are getting long...and deep."

Can we just offer this guy max money to come to Indy? I'd rather pay him max money than any player or coach or anybody...love him.

Jermaniac
05-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah he has a clear vision about wtf he wants to do with his team. Bird and Walsh change their vision 3 times a month.

SoupIsGood
05-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Can we just offer this guy max money to come to Indy?

I wish...

stew
05-14-2007, 09:35 AM
interesting video... love to see how donnie/larry do these deals...

avoidingtheclowns
05-14-2007, 07:32 PM
That video was amazing.

It sounds like Ainge was being difficult when disclosing info on Marcus Williams. :laugh:

actually there was a lot of talk that the celtics were acquiring all those pieces to trade for iverson. so ainge probably didn't want to talk about why he got telfair...at least that was my guess. probably didn't have anything to do with williams