PDA

View Full Version : IndyStar} Person interviews for Pacers job

Roaming Gnome
05-12-2007, 08:35 AM
May 12, 2007

Person interviews for Pacers job (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070512/SPORTS04/705120502/1088/SPORTS04)
Team reportedly also wants to talk with Bulls assistant Boylan about head coach position

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com
May 12, 2007

The Indiana Pacers' coaching search is picking up steam.
The Pacers interviewed assistant coach Chuck Person on Friday and, according to multiple media reports, plan to talk to Chicago assistant Jim Boylan once the Bulls are eliminated from the playoffs.

Person is the first internal candidate to interview with team president Larry Bird. Fellow assistant Johnny Davis also is interested but has not been contacted.

"The opportunity to coach this team would be an honor since this is the organization that drafted me out of college," Person said. "It would be a great challenge, but I've fully prepared myself the last few years as an assistant coach coupled with my 14 years of playing experience. I'm ready to meet those challenges."

Person spent six years playing for the Pacers, three in their front office and the past two years as an assistant under former coach Rick Carlisle. This past season he coached the defense. The Pacers finished 12th in the league in field goal percentage allowed, fourth in blocks, 11th in steals and seventh in forcing turnovers.

"The fact that I played for some great coaches like Gregg Popovich and Jack Ramsay, and had a chance to spend the past two seasons working under a great coach in Rick Carlisle, really gave me an opportunity to learn what it takes to be a head coach," Person said.

The Pacers are waiting for the Bulls to finish their playoff run so they can ask for permission to talk to Boylan, who is coach Scott Skiles' lead assistant. Boylan has two years remaining on his contract.

Boylan previously was an assistant with Phoenix, Cleveland, the Grizzlies and Cleveland.

"He'd be a fantastic head coach," Skiles told the Chicago Tribune last month. "He's more than qualified. He's a hard worker who knows the game and is creative. He works well with players. Somebody should hire him."
Person and Boylan are among the five known candidates. The Pacers also have talked to former Miami Heat coach Stan Van Gundy and have received permission to talk to Lakers assistant Brian Shaw.

The Pacers still are waiting to get permission to talk to Toronto Raptors coach Sam Mitchell, who is regarded as their top choice. Raptors officials have said they want to re-sign Mitchell, who is under contract until June 30.

Unclebuck
05-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I really hope it was just a courtesy and nothing more. Perhaps another franchise will see that the Pacers interviewed Chuck and perhaps he'll get an interview elsewhere - I was a big fan of Chuck as a player and had no problems with him being an assistant coach (like the 3rd or 4th assistant), but I didn't like how he ran the defense this past season and I certainly don't believe that he is head coaching material.

Elgin56
05-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I really hope it was just a curtesy and nothing more. Perhaps another franchise will see that the pacers interviewed Chuck and perhaps he'll get an interview elsewhere - I was a big fan of Chuck as a player and had no problems with him being an assistant coach (like the 3rd or 4th assistant), but I didn't like how he ran the defense this past season and I certainly don't believe that he is head coaching material.

Yep.

Jermaniac
05-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Bring him back as a guy who works with the players, there is no way in hell I would hire him back as the lead defensive assistant let alone the head coach.

rexnom
05-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Bring him back as a guy who works with the players, there is no way in hell I would hire him back as the lead defensive assistant let alone the head coach.
Yeah, why can't we have Chuck just spend hours upon hours with Danny, Shawne, and Dunleavy making them solid/consistent shooters?

Speed
05-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, why can't we have Chuck just spend hours upon hours with Danny, Shawne, and Dunleavy making them solid/consistent shooters?

You beat me to it. I never understood why he was in charge of the defense, anyway.

ChicagoJ
05-12-2007, 12:07 PM
:love:

Los Angeles
05-12-2007, 12:34 PM
So - uh - there goes Vescey's "only 4 interviews" bit.

:unimpress

ABADays
05-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Who said they wouldn't find a single Person to interview? OK - sorry!

Roaming Gnome
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Can you say...
"Token Interview"

Los Angeles
05-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Just saw your avatar, Roaming Gnome - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Look out for MagicRat.

JBones19
05-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Who said they wouldn't find a single Person to interview? OK - sorry!

I know, I saw the headline and for a split second thought they pulled some random guy off the street and interviewed him for the job.

Unclebuck
05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Jay, I must ask - you don't really want Person to be the head coach do you. Do you really think he's ready for that and do you really think he's head coaching material?

Mourning
05-12-2007, 01:37 PM
There's no way Chuck is ready for that. Like some others suggested it might be a good idea to bring him in as an assistant that handles some of the technique elements of the offense.

Secondly.... congrats Roaming "G"! :champagne

grace
05-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Jay, I must ask - you don't really want Person to be the head coach do you. Do you really think he's ready for that and do you really think he's head coaching material?

I don't remember UB, are you one of the people who think Mark Jackson should be the head coach? I don't know that Chuck would be a good head coach, but on paper he'd be better than Mark.

Congrats Gnome. :cheers:

Unclebuck
05-12-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't remember UB, are you one of the people who think Mark Jackson should be the head coach? I don't know that Chuck would be a good head coach, but on paper he'd be better than Mark.

Congrats Gnome. :cheers:

I don't want Mark Jackson - although I will admit that I think Jackson will be a very good head coach someday - he needs to be an assistant for at least one season. Jackson is a born leader though, and Person isn't and that is why mark will be a good head coach and Chuck won't.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
05-12-2007, 05:20 PM
pass on old chucky i want shaw

madison
05-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Mike Wells is kidding, right? Why would anyone hire someone as head coach after complete failure as the defensive assistant coach? Could our 'defense' last season have been any worse? I'm about to be sick.

Kstat
05-12-2007, 07:44 PM
I know I'd love to see the Pacers hearken back to the bomb and shoot days of the early 90's....

SoupIsGood
05-13-2007, 12:09 AM
If we hired this guy... well actually I was going to say that I'd boycott if we hired this guy, but instead if Person is hired I'll just assume that the plan is to nab the #1 pick in the 2008 draft. Because hiring Person would get that done.

Naptown_Seth
05-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Was Person ever known for using his wits to win games? Isn't he the epitome of guys that can't teach the game because they relied on pure talent most of the time? And did his asst. work suggest that this was in any way not true.

As token as this might have been, they haven't given Davis the same courtesy (thank god).

One nice thing is that they are taking their time, letting people free up, feeling it out.

Either that or this is just a repeat of the Isiah crap where they really have decided on Sam and are now waiting for the formalities to finish up.

Irony alert - Chuck was traded for Sam long ago so it could be that Sam is taking his place yet again when the search is over. That trade making Sam a Pacer is probably one of the main reasons Sam was a guy they were considering in the first place.

Hicks
05-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Actually, ESPN.com is reporting we are going to interview Davis, too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2868821

avoidingtheclowns
05-13-2007, 01:08 AM
an anonymous source within the organization confirmed that the pacers short list includes whoopi goldberg, merv griffin and both of the olsen twins.

ToTheAtom
05-13-2007, 03:03 AM
an anonymous source within the organization confirmed that the pacers short list includes whoopi goldberg, merv griffin and both of the olsen twins.

:ohyeah:

ChicagoJ
05-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Chuck's bball IQ is enormously high, but I'm not sure how that's going to translate to a head coaching position and gameplan/ strategy. He certainly won't do any worse than Mark Jackson in the next five years - at least Chuck has been developing his coaching skills unlike Jackson who just sits back as an announcer and second-guesses but isn't being put on the spot himself...

This (Chuck) is a guy that, years before League Pass (1990ish) outfitted his home in Geist with a bunch of wide-format satellite dishes and VCRs so he could record every game to scout his opponents. His next door neighbor (Reggie) had all the pool tables, and Chuck had the basketball theater. NBC highlighted this during a halftime show of one of the Boston playoff games many years ago.

I think Chuck is best suited for the front office. After Billy Knight, he was the next "Donnie's replacement in-training" before the f:censored:ing Celtic was brought in and pushed Chuck to the bench. So while I'd rather see Chuck in the front office, but I'm not opposed to giving him a couple of years with a rebuilding team for experience, and then he can replace Bird when he's fired.

Regardless, Chuck should be a part of this franchise next season in some role, either #1 assistant, HC, or back to the front office. He didn't exactly have a lot of talent to work with on the defensive end of the court this season, but that doesn't mean he should lose his job just because Rick couldn't keep the team focused.

Unclebuck
05-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Jay: simple question - who is a better leader Mark Jackson or Chuch Person.

And don't you think that leadership capabilities are perhaps the most important characteristic a head coach should have.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't know the answer to that. And I hate commenting on something like that because none of us know the inside story so anybody that pretends to know answer doesn't know the answer.

Everybody thinks JO is a lousy leader these days, but we don't know if JO can't lead or if the bozos he's been working with can't follow.

Chuck picked up a team that won 96 games total in four years and carried them to their first NBA playoff win ever with a game that stood as the Pacers NBA post-season scoring record for 14 years. That says something. Chuck commented over and over than in 1992, when he was third out of all NBA forwards in assists (trailing Bird and Scottie, the only three players to average 19-7-7) that almost all of his assists were to Smits, because Michael Williams wouldn't pass him the ball (it was usually said in context to the fact that Chuck was the only guy in Minnesota that would bass the ball to Luc Longley, as well). Chuck sure talked a lot of smack, but I have no gut reaction to his leadership at all.

Mark Jackson - you can tell he's a vocal leader but I still think his biggest advantage over most other coaching candidates is his eye for the court. And I'm just not sure how well "being a vocal leader" translates to the HC position. Phil and Pat Riley were complimentary players at best, and were probaby never viewed as their team's leaders. But they are probably the two best at motivating NBA players today.

Don't get me wrong - those are probably my two favorite players of the Donnie Walsh era. I'd love for either of them to coach the Pacers and/or take over the front office at the right time. I have no idea if this is the right time for either of them or not.

Anthem
05-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Just say no to Chuck Person (sorry Jay). Our scoring was up from last year, and we still have the worst record in ages. Why? Because Chuck Person was in charge of the defense.

Pass.

Oneal07
05-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Look at his record . . .That's a No No

maragin
05-14-2007, 07:17 PM
I believe it is unprecedented in sports, but I would be amused if they announced that the new Pacers coach was Rick Carlisle.

Naptown_Seth
05-15-2007, 04:45 AM
I believe it is unprecedented in sports, but I would be amused if they announced that the new Pacers coach was Rick Carlisle.
Remember that I think it was PV that first rumored that Rick would step down/up to a mgmt spot for 1 year, and then possibly return as coach. At least I thought that's sort of how his rumor went. Someone want to dig that back up?

rexnom
05-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Raise your hand if you wouldn't mind Rick back in a few years when we've rebuilt...*raises hand*