PDA

View Full Version : Which prospective Pacers coach do you want?

Shade
05-11-2007, 01:55 PM
If you can believe the NY Post, it's down to four candidates. Which one would you want?

Jermaniac
05-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Stan Van Gundy EASILY.

Unclebuck
05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I do not know. Here is what I posted in another thread, and I still don't know.

Of these 4 guys, I don't know which one I want. But I will say that if Jim Boylan can coach the Pacers to play like the Bulls (style of play- and amount of effort they play with) then Boylan would be my first choice.

SVG is the safest choice - you can't go wrong with him, although I don't think he's in the upper echeon of coaches.

Sam Mitchell is another safe choice, (in that he's been a head coach in the NBA before, the next two choices haven't) but I also don't think he's a great coach.

Brian Shaw is the biggest gamble and yet I also think he's the most interesting of the 4 names. I've often said I want the pacers to take a chance go after soemone who could be the "next great NBA coach" and I think based on that criteria alone- Shaw might be the best choice. He could be a disaster though - we know Sam and Stan aren't disasters.

tough call

OakMoses
05-11-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm in a bit of the same boat as Unclebuck on this one. There's only one thing that I'm sure of, and that's that I'm not sold on Sam Mitchell.

My first two choices would be Stan Van Gundy and Brian Shaw. Van Gundy because I believe he is the best coach of the four right now, and Shaw because I believe he has the most potential.

Mitchell was pretty much a disaster in his first two years with the Raptors and got severely outcoached by Lawrence Frank in the playoffs. While Mitchell would be a departure from Carlisle in his manner of dealing with players, he is not a very creative coach and will never be considered a visionary.

I really don't know anything about Boylan, but my hunch about the Bulls is that their personality is that of their head coach, Scott Skiles. He's done a good job of making them play the way he played. I'm not sure that the Bulls have a great scheme, however. They win with talent and effort.

Brian Shaw seems to have the pedigree to be a great coach. He was always a smart and classy player. He also has the combination of youth, experience (as a player) and success (again, as a player) that should command endear him to today's players. There is much about Shaw that is unknown, however, and he could fall flat on his face.

Stan Van Gundy is a proven winner. He's probably by far the best X and O coach out of this bunch. He's proven himself to be a coach who is capable of adapting and finding ways to win games. He's dealt successfully with adversity. He has a good history of getting the most out of difficult players (Lamar Odom). He's also got the personality and no nonsense attitude that Carlisle lacked. Though I never followed the Heat closely, he always seemed to have the genuine respect of his players. The one drawback I can see is that he is the coach of these four who is most likely to clash with Bird and Walsh.

If I had to rank them in order:

1. Stan Van Gundy
2. Brian Shaw
3. Jim Boylan
4. Sam Mitchell

None of these four is a bad choice. If we get SVG or Shaw, I'll be happy. If we get Boylan, I'll be skeptical. If we get Mitchell, I'll be slightly dissappointed. All in all I won't be upset with any of these guys.

Unclebuck
05-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Just to bring a little balance to this SVG's lovefest. What about his decision to take Wade out of the game with the Heat trailing by 3 at the end of the Pacers heat game 6 in 2004.

I've been racking my brain trying to find and or remember the complaint the media and some of his players had about SVG in Miami, and I just can't find or or remember what it was exactly. But there was something

Ragnar
05-11-2007, 03:34 PM
What I want is Mark Jackson but since that does not seem possible I would pick SVG and if JVG leaved the Rockets then I would want him.

naptownmenace
05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
My first two choices would be Stan Van Gundy and Brian Shaw. Van Gundy because I believe he is the best coach of the four right now, and Shaw because I believe he has the most potential.

Mitchell was pretty much a disaster in his first two years with the Raptors and got severely outcoached by Lawrence Frank in the playoffs. While Mitchell would be a departure from Carlisle in his manner of dealing with players, he is not a very creative coach and will never be considered a visionary.

I really don't know anything about Boylan, but my hunch about the Bulls is that their personality is that of their head coach, Scott Skiles. He's done a good job of making them play the way he played. I'm not sure that the Bulls have a great scheme, however. They win with talent and effort.

Brian Shaw seems to have the pedigree to be a great coach. He was always a smart and classy player. He also has the combination of youth, experience (as a player) and success (again, as a player) that should command endear him to today's players. There is much about Shaw that is unknown, however, and he could fall flat on his face.

Stan Van Gundy is a proven winner. He's probably by far the best X and O coach out of this bunch. He's proven himself to be a coach who is capable of adapting and finding ways to win games. He's dealt successfully with adversity. He has a good history of getting the most out of difficult players (Lamar Odom). He's also got the personality and no nonsense attitude that Carlisle lacked. Though I never followed the Heat closely, he always seemed to have the genuine respect of his players. The one drawback I can see is that he is the coach of these four who is most likely to clash with Bird and Walsh.

If I had to rank them in order:

1. Stan Van Gundy
2. Brian Shaw
3. Jim Boylan
4. Sam Mitchell

None of these four is a bad choice. If we get SVG or Shaw, I'll be happy. If we get Boylan, I'll be skeptical. If we get Mitchell, I'll be slightly dissappointed. All in all I won't be upset with any of these guys.

Man you saved me about 10 minutes of typing. That is about so close to what I would've type, if I had the time, that it's scary.

naptownmenace
05-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Just to bring a little balance to this SVG's lovefest. What about his decision to take Wade out of the game with the Heat trailing by 3 at the end of the Pacers heat game 6 in 2004.

I've been racking my brain trying to find and or remember the complaint the media and some of his players had about SVG in Miami, and I just can't find or or remember what it was exactly. But there was something

I think it was, "He looks too much like Ron Jerimy!"

ajbry
05-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Brian Shaw, for the reasons that mellifluous already listed, and for the simple fact that he'd be the most dynamic presence out of all them.

Might as well take a chance, we ain't got much further to fall.

NuffSaid
05-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I choose "None of the Above". :(

They haven't interviewed my guy yet...

aero
05-11-2007, 03:58 PM
i also choose none of the above.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2007, 03:59 PM
If I had to rank these four candidates it would be:

1. SVG
2. :suicide:
3. :suicide2:
4. :suicide3:

ajbry
05-11-2007, 04:04 PM
You guys are acting like the Pacers have an amazingly talented roster with great young prospects, recent success, and a huge market. Unfortunately, not many of the elite coaches that are available are going to run to Indiana for an interview. I'm actually pretty impressed with the four candidates so far.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
05-11-2007, 04:10 PM
i say shaw but why so many want stan van man?? any people tell me how good he did why him for pacers??

Young
05-11-2007, 04:13 PM
- Brian Shaw: I want the Pacers to trade for a draft pick and take a chance on a pick, so why not take a chance on a coach like B-Shaw? I have always liked B-Shaw and thought he was one of those guys that could get into coaching. I like that Shaw played for and is now coaching alongside Phil Jackson and Text Winter. Shaw played the right way and IMO that should translate into a positive for coaching.

- Sam Mitchell: Not exactly my favorite but here are two things I like about him, he is tough on his players and his players seem to like him.

- Stan Van Gundy: Don't know how tough he is on his players. I don't think he is any better than Rick. I don't think that SVG is the worst we can do, but not exactly at the top of my list.

- Jim Boylan: I don't really know to much about him to have a real opinion.

Roferr
05-11-2007, 04:14 PM
You guys are acting like the Pacers have an amazingly talented roster with great young prospects, recent success, and a huge market. Unfortunately, not many of the elite coaches that are available are going to run to Indiana for an interview. I'm actually pretty impressed with the four candidates so far.

The Pacers have always been one of the class acts in the league, until a couple seasons ago. Even during the ABA days, they were the elite team in the entire league. I've watched them since their inception in 1967 and they are still one of the best franchises in the league. What has happened in the last 2-3 seasons is merely a bump in the road compared to their track record.

Hicks
05-11-2007, 04:17 PM
1. Stan Van Gundy
2. Brian Shaw
3. Jim Boylan
4. Sam Mitchell

Yes.

Roaming Gnome
05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Stan Van Gundy

The only reason Stan isn't working right now is because Pat Riley's oversized ego got in the way. I do think that Stan is a pretty good coach and he is young as far as number of years in the league as a head coach.

Los Angeles
05-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I have to put it in writing that I was the first to vote for Shaw.

Number one, that's me. ;)

I think the chance that he becomes a good coach is worth the risk that he might not work out.

Kegboy
05-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't know, everytime somebody mentions Brian Shaw, I see Jim Cleamons.

OakMoses
05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I've been doing a bit of research on Van Gundy. The more I read, the more I'm starting to wonder if he isn't a lot like Rick Carlisle.

There are certain coaches who are great coaches, but can not coach "stars". I think that Carlisle was one of these coaches. That's why the Pacers were more successful with O'Neal out. Without Jermaine the guys were running the offense and sharing the ball, just like every coach thinks a team should. Van Gundy seems to favor the same kind of play. In an interview when he's addressing the changes between 04-05 and 05-06 in Miami (namely the additions of Jason Williams, Gary Payton and Antawn Walker), he talks about going from a team of role players to a team of guys who all want to make something happen everytime they touch the ball. He clearly does not feel comfortable with this.

Much like Carlisle did in Detroit, Van Gundy's greatest success came with a team with a group of talented players, rather than a couple of transcendant stars. If you look at the stats from the full seasons he coached you see many players in double figures (4 in the first, 5 in the second). The criticisms of Van Gundy seem to have come mainly from Gary Payton and Shaq.

While the Carlisle comparison will probably aggravate a lot of Pacers fans, it's not a bad thing. If the Pacers were to trade JO for a young, talented guard, Van Gundy seems a near perfect fit for that type of roster. If you give a tactical type of coach (a la Rick or SVG) a roster with a bunch of #2/#3 option type of guys who can score within a good offense but don't look to score by breaking out of the offense and doing it on their own, you can have some good success.

BoomBaby31
05-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Stan Van Gundy, the guy was done dirty in Miami. He built that team and then Riley stole it and ruined it. SVG looks like the best choice for our vacancy.

Trader Joe
05-11-2007, 05:12 PM
From all of those names you have to assume we are going the all out rebuild route as all of those guys have the qualities to help a young team develop. Van Gundy and Mitchell have both shown they can turn a young team into a better team. For me, it comes down to Shaw and Van Gundy. If we are going to give Tins one more chance I think Shaw is a very interesting candidate cause he might be able to motivate Tins.

I guess I'd take Stan in the end. I dunno I wouldn't be decided if we hired Shaw though. He might be just the breath of fresh air this franchise needs.

CableKC
05-11-2007, 05:22 PM
As a Pacer fan, I had no problem with SVG taking Wade out of that particular game. :laugh:

Kegboy
05-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I've been doing a bit of research on Van Gundy. The more I read, the more I'm starting to wonder if he isn't a lot like Rick Carlisle.

Remember Stan got Miami to the ECF game 7 Shaq's first year in Miami, and a good number of people thought they would have won if Wade hadn't been hurt. He just didn't mesh well with the players they brought in that summer, all of whom had a history of being attitude problems. Yes, Riley succeeded with them, but he's an all-time great.

From what I hear Stan gets along very well with players. He's nothing like Rick in that regard.

Moses
05-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Stan Van Gundy EASILY.
x2

Evan_The_Dude
05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Stan Van the Man