PDA

View Full Version : SJax: JO wants out of Indy

pwee31
05-10-2007, 11:15 PM
hmm... has anyone else read this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_experts/post/Jackson-J-O-wants-out-of-Indy;_ylt=AjCIVyKYIda5m99WB54YZII5nYcB?urn=nba,318 00

Shade
05-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Jack isn't even a Pacer anymore and he's still damaging this franchise with his big mouth.

Like I said, Artest Jr.

pwee31
05-10-2007, 11:24 PM
True, but it's a lot more believable coming from a player, especially one that use to be a Pacer.

LoneGranger33
05-10-2007, 11:24 PM
I really try to like this guy. Ajbry, tell me why this is okay so I can like him again.

Why would Tinsley want to leave? He's the man!

clownskull
05-10-2007, 11:25 PM
i wish there were a rule against players or other employees from saying things that are hurtful to franchises. this kind of stuff can only hurt teams. whether its true or not. if some sportswriter wants to say it- fine but this stuff should be stopped.

Hicks
05-10-2007, 11:28 PM
This hurts his trade value. JO was probably saying the right things to not hurt us. Damn it. I'm not on the Stephen Jackson hate train (perhaps contrary to popular belief), but this doesn't make me like him better.

Bright side: This is probably the last time he can hurt us.

pwee31
05-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah it definitely doesn't help the situation at all. Sam Smith writes the article, JO and Donnie deny it, then Stephen Jackson comes out and backs up the Sam Smith article.

I wonder if he was just answering a question, or if he simply felt the need to comment on the matter. You would think he would be more caught up in the playoffs, then the Pacers and JO's situation. Unless he still has hard feelings towards us

BoomBaby31
05-11-2007, 12:18 AM
I believe it is true, JO probably does want out. I say/write we trade him and tinsley to L.A for Odom and Farmar and a 1st round pick. L.A is desperate to win now, and I believe they would do it. Then we can take the two draft picks and fill our voids or trade both to move up really high in the draft. Just my in put.

Anthem
05-11-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure why it would hurt us... everything he said about JO was good. Nothing there hurts JO's value or TPTB's bargaining power.

CableKC
05-11-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure why it would hurt us... everything he said about JO was good. Nothing there hurts JO's value or TPTB's bargaining power.
Adding unnecessary speculation to a player wanting to leave certainly doesn't help the negotiating position of the Pacers at all. Especially when this comes from a close teammate....it only gives credence to the rumors that JONeal wants out of Indy and that he only wants to be in LA or the Knicks from a negotiating level.

From a fan POV.....I can only give you my impressions of his comments.....I just feel that he is helping out his friend's trade situation at the expense of the team that he clearly had issues with. Maybe this may turn out to be nothing.....but this doesn't help my off-court impressions of SJax.

Shade
05-11-2007, 12:51 AM
I believe it is true, JO probably does want out. I say/write we trade him and tinsley to L.A for Odom and Farmar and a 1st round pick. L.A is desperate to win now, and I believe they would do it. Then we can take the two draft picks and fill our voids or trade both to move up really high in the draft. Just my in put.

No offense, but that is an absolutely horrible trade for us. Even worse than the Golden State trade.

Shade
05-11-2007, 12:52 AM

Figuratively, or literally? We already know he's not adverse to rushing into the stands and punching fans.

Jermaniac
05-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Just get JO to play with Kobe thats all I want to see before I die. Kobe and JO.

Trader Joe
05-11-2007, 01:46 AM
This hurts his trade value. JO was probably saying the right things to not hurt us. Damn it. I'm not on the Stephen Jackson hate train (perhaps contrary to popular belief), but this doesn't make me like him better.

If NBA GMs are taking advice from Stephen Jackson of all people then the people running NBA teams are loonier than even I had assumed. Jack is a good player, and I enjoy watching him play, but I wouldn't listen to a single word he says.

Trader Joe
05-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Yeah it definitely doesn't help the situation at all. Sam Smith writes the article, JO and Donnie deny it, then Stephen Jackson comes out and backs up the Sam Smith article.

I wonder if he was just answering a question, or if he simply felt the need to comment on the matter. You would think he would be more caught up in the playoffs, then the Pacers and JO's situation. Unless he still has hard feelings towards us

Lets put it this way... Who are you going to believe Jermaine O'Neal and Donnie Walsh or Stephen Jackson and Sam Smith? I think that pretty much speaks for itself. Cause as we all know if Stephen Jackson and Sam Smith say it it must be true. Especially in this case what would Jermaine O'Neal or Donnie Walsh know about it? :rolleyes:

grace
05-11-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't know why anyone would listen to anything Jackson (or Sam Smith for that matter) has to say.

Raskolnikov
05-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Figuratively, or literally? We already know he's not adverse to rushing into the stands and punching fans.
Good one :)

Arcadian
05-11-2007, 02:59 AM
Hoping and demanding are two different things. I don't see how it hurts his trade value.

If anything I read it as a shot at the Pacers, "nobody wants to play for them." But I guess I owe it Steve to root for him. He did wear the blue and gold.

Mourning
05-11-2007, 03:57 AM
We owe him nothing. And negative publicity in the sense of insinuating a major player wanting to leave/trying to get out is NOT good, however you want to try to spin it. Even when Stephen says or writes it. If more people start saying it then it gets more damaging, etc.

Go :jazz:

Alpolloloco
05-11-2007, 03:59 AM
What a clown you are Jackson!

Thanks for ALL you have done for the Pacers ... NOT!

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2007, 06:44 AM
As others have said, the fact that it was Stephen Jackson talking makes this article something like this:

Fact Value = 0

Even if it wasn't Stephen Jackson you have quotes like this:

"I don't think he has any patience (left), but Jermaine is the ultimate professional," Jackson told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday. "But he wants to get out of there because all of the guys they brought in to build the team around him are gone now. Me, Ron (Artest) and Al (Harrington). I've heard rumors that (Jamaal) Tinsley wants to leave, too.

IOW - I'm gone and nobody could possibly want to be on a team that doesn't have me - even though what I've heard are rumours.

This is pretty much non-news.

Los Angeles
05-11-2007, 06:46 AM
This guy needs a smack in the mouth.

He has as much class in his whole body as JO has in his little toe.

**** you, Jackhole. Quit doing us "favors".

BlueNGold
05-11-2007, 06:47 AM
No doubt Jack is telling the truth here. But it's just another example of why he is an unprofessional punk.

BTW, it confirms heavily my belief that JO will be traded to either the Knicks or the Lakers.

Also, even more interesting is that Bird would prefer to avoid dealing with those two teams. Perhaps he will stiff JO by sending him to Memphis. That would be a laugher.

Even more interesting is the fact JO multiple times said he respected Donnie, the Simons and the City of Indianapolis....BUT omitted Larry Bird from that statement. This was no mistake folks. JO knows how to talk.

Bird is a very large part of the problem here in Indy. Larger than any of you want to admit. I think the root is in his arrogance toward the players. There might be some racial issues as well because of the segment of players that seem to be having issues with him. Not saying Bird is a racist at all. I just think he might be too much Indiana for some of them. JMO.

D-BONE
05-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Bird is a very large part of the problem here in Indy. Larger than any of you want to admit. I think the root is in his arrogance toward the players. There might be some racial issues as well because of the segment of players that seem to be having issues with him. Not saying Bird is a racist at all. I just think he might be too much Indiana for some of them. JMO.

No question Bird is a main player in our problems. I'd like to see you elaborate on this point some more though. It might be somehow racial, but Bird's not a racist. So the players are racists? African Americans just can't adjust to Indiana? What exactly?

Naptown_Seth
05-11-2007, 07:45 AM
I don't really see what the problem here is. You think LA and NY haven't been contacted behind the scenes? You think they needed Jackson to say this to know the bottom line?

Give me a break, you guys are on the hate train if you read that benign article and work into a lather. He didn't bash the team, he complimented the heck out of JO (so much for a chemistry problem there), and he sure as hell didn't drop a bombshell regarding where JO would go if he was traded.

There wasn't one freaking thing in that interview that was new or surprising info. To me it was just candid and honest.

And BTW, JO has been frustrated with mgmt BEFORE this season, partially because of Bird's laissez-faire Euro-trip dealing with the Artest situation.

I don't get you guys at this point, I expected to read a guy trashing out the team or selling out JO or something. Dude just said he thinks JO is frustrated (no kidding), would like to play for Isiah or with Kobe (duh, we've said it for months), and that JO is a great player and in the right situation would be a monster threat (wow, not so harsh Jackson).

If he said "the Pacers are jerks and JO hates them and the jerks that traded me and I hated the fans and he does too and F Indy they can shove it and I hope JO gets his wish and gets outta that craphole" THEN your comments would be reasonable. As it stands these comments are just ridiculous.

For most of you Jack has just become an icon to hate no matter what.

"I just hope J.O. gets put in the best situation because he is a great player."
Shocking. Hateful. Dispicable.

I've heard rumors that (Jamaal) Tinsley wants to leave, too.Say it ain't so, no one has EVER said this.

"It's going to have to be the perfect deal (to get O'Neal out), because you know from the deal they made with us (landing Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy) it didn't work out for them," Jackson said. "They don't want to make a bad deal again. I think it would have to be a perfect deal.
I.E. - they won't trade him for a bag of chips so don't expect some chump deal.

If you hate Jackson for saying this then you must hate all of PD. Seriously. Name one freaking thing Jackson said that wasn't mentioned at PD the last 3 or more months.

Trade didn't work out, no kidding, not a secret.

JO likes Isiah - sure, none of you guys said that.

JO to Lakers - cripes do I really need to go dig up trade rumor talk and possible JO-Odom deals posted right here on PD for ANYONE to read.

JT was unhappy in Indy - has this really never been discussed here.

So he's an ***hole and the rest of this place saying the exact same things are saints, despite the fact that it's suggested that the press, certainly the broadcast team and even Pacers mgmt might browse this forum.

Aren't you doing the exact same thing if you post discussion that JO might want out for all of those groups and more to read it?

Sshhhhh, loose lips sink ships, don't mention JO to LA because you'll ruin his trade value. Please.

Natston
05-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Give me a break, you guys are on the hate train if you read that benign article and work into a lather.

QFT, I really wonder what people would think and post if Cro or even Reggie Miller laid down the same quotes. Don't disregard the message no matter how much you dislike the messenger.

Naptown_Seth
05-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Tell me that REGGIE MILLER didn't do 100% more damage by going on national TV and saying "there's still problems in that locker room" after Artest was traded.

Let's burn Reggie in effigy, he ruined the Pacers ability to deal players.

You know who did more trade value damage by letting out secrets? The fans that openly boo'd Jackson and made it clear that he wasn't wanted at all costs. You don't think that impacted the Pacers ability to get a fair deal for him?

I guess you should have all kept quiet, pretended to love him, thrown flowers after games...right until he was traded, then you'd all say "ha ha, we fooled you".

In other words, you guys have a ridiculous sense of what is impacting JO's trade value right now. The teams W-L record and JO's contract have a lot more to say about it. JO's own words about "maybe we will want to part ways" has a lot more to say about it. The FANS talking about rebuilding, tearing it down and being sick of watching JO shoot 43% have more to say about it.

Again, I'm not actually a huge Jackson fan. But I'm watching a torch-bearing mob running amuck right now and it bugs me. It's getting out of control.

Anthem, I can't tell you how much I needed to see a response like this right about now.

Hicks
05-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Reggie didn't say "The following Indiana Pacers are bad seeds: *list*"

If either he or Croshere had said what Jackson said, I still think it's bad. The more convinced other GMs are that a player wants out, the more likely they are to send lowball offers.

Some of you may have started as Jackson defenders against over-the-top "haters" (I almost thought that term had finally left this forum... :sigh: ), but now you guys are too sensitive to it. There's nothing to get in a roar about here.

Unclebuck
05-11-2007, 08:39 AM
I really don't see what the big deal is anyway. NBA teams know that JO is available - but they also know that the Pacers are in a "dump JO" mode either.

The purge (that started after 11/19 should be complete by the end of August.

Los Angeles
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Seth, there a BIG difference between talking to the press and BEING A MEMBER of the press.

Jackson is intentionally talking crap about our franchise and the trade while at the same time trying to prop up his old buddy.

Hello, the losing streak had a lot to do with players that were already here, too.

Didn't work out my butt. Jackson should look in the mirror and figure out what REALLY didn't work out. But rather than talk about himself and his own YEARS OF FAILURE in Indy, he'd rather give guys 5 months and declare that they "didn't work out".

Absolutely no class. Absolutely no responsibility. Absolutely no point other than to try and make himself feel better.

Elgin56
05-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Just maybe, JO asked his buddy Jack to make those comments for him, HMMM. Yep, I think is just about right.

Major Cold
05-11-2007, 09:49 AM
That is it we need to trade Stephen Jackson......Oh wait we already did

JB's Breakout Year
05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
This guy needs a smack in the mouth.

He has as much class in his whole body as JO has in his little toe.

**** you, Jackhole. Quit doing us "favors".
Well said. No- VERY well said.

Jackson has an axe to grind with the Pacers. How dare they trade his mediocre ***! Look how great he is now!

Never mind that it's the just second round of the playoffs-he's obviously a star!

Never mind that he missed that open three to beat the Jazz in Game 1- he makes love to pressure!

Never mind that he's hopping up and down like a 3 year old when he doesn't get a call while his man goes down and nails a three on the other end- the Pacers traded away the player JO needed to win- HIM!

And on and on. He's got an agenda to make himself look like the victim and like a star. The trade is one half season old, and obviously the Warriors are the winners? Give me a break.

Keep kissing Baron Davis' ***, Jackson, because he's the reason you are where you are. Just like with Tim Duncan.

Anthem
05-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Jackson is intentionally talking crap about our franchise
I don't see it.

If anything, his words will drive the price up, not down. "It's going to have to be a perfect deal" = "People are going to have to pay through the nose to get JO", but "monster" = "JO will succeed wherever he goes."

That's the kind of thing I like to hear.

3rdStrike
05-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Don't tell it like it is, Anthem. The sky is falling! Jack is out to get us! Call the cops!

Shade
05-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Come to think of it, this doesn't even make sense...

"I don't think he has any patience (left), but Jermaine is the ultimate professional," Jackson told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday. "But he wants to get out of there because all of the guys they brought in to build the team around him are gone now. Me, Ron (Artest) and Al (Harrington). I've heard rumors that (Jamaal) Tinsley wants to leave, too.

Um...Al was traded for Jack, and Ron was essentially traded for Al. It wasn't possible to have all three guys on this team around JO.

Btw, Ron demanded out, he wasn't forced out. And last I heard, JO wanted him out, too.

As for the JO-Al-Jack era...yeah, that worked out just dandy. You had your chance, and you didn't get it done.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2007, 11:17 AM
NBA trades are not negotiated through the press, I can't see where this has any REAL impact on the JO situation.

because you know from the deal they made with us (landing Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy) it didn't work out for them," Jackson said. "They don't want to make a bad deal again.

Bull****. It is impossible to judge that trade from the Pacers' perspective. The Pacers didn't make that trade for the '07 playoffs, they made that trade to get a head start on the '07 training camp. And they may not be done fixing the roster that at one point in time was broken with so many self-centered pricks like SJax, Artest, Saras, AJ and perhaps (according to many of you) JO, Tinsley, and Al, led by Mr. Personalit himself, Carlisle.

The 2003-04 Pacers were a lot like the Fleetwood Mac Rumors album - all the tension and angst produced something that was almost great *once*, but it also damn near killed them all.

Its not that "the trade didn't work out". Its that it will take a while for the Pacers to purge themselves of all the various forms of cancer that plagued the team.

Its totally unreasonable to judge this trade for the Pacers without the benefit of a training camp. The Pacers aquired "system" players without the luxury of taking the time to teach them the system.

Ironically, the Pacers for the first time probably acquired players that Rick could coach as well, but it was too little too late.

"But he wants to get out of there because all of the guys they brought in to build the team around him are gone now. Me, Ron (Artest) and Al (Harrington). I've heard rumors that (Jamaal) Tinsley wants to leave, too.

Let's see: Ron always wanted to resolve the "who's the #1 scoring option" debate (even though it wasn't really a debate except in Ron's b!-p0l@r head) by a fist fight. I'd hardly say that's "building around JO". Al and JO needed to both play in the post, and there wasn't enough room for both of them. SJax would shoot a 3-pointer too early in the shotclock or stand still (no movement) when JO was double-teamed in the post and then shoot too inconsistently from the perimeter to be useful, so its not like SJax was a player that was very good at complimenting JO either.

The only player they ever brought in that really did compliment JO on the court was Peja, but that didn't work out very well when Peja decided he couldn't stand Rick, didn't want to playin hte playoffs, and wanted to leave as soon as he contract expired.

Remember when JO was asking for Jon Barry, or someone like him that could be a dead-eye perimeter shooter.

Shade
05-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Seth, are you actually arguing that confirmation form a recent teammate and friend has absolutely no influence on the trade offers we're going to get now for JO? Sorry, but I completely disagree. That's nearly as bad as Ron going public with trade demands.

You're making this out to be much, much more than it is. This isn't a witch hunt. Jack has done nearly irreparable damage to this franchise, and now he's taking a shot at our fans to boot:

"Hopefully it works for him because you play so much better when you're somewhere you want to be, in a place where you are wanted. That's why I'm having so much success here, because they've embraced me like a newborn."

It's called a honeymoon, Jack. Keep playing the way you have the last two games and Warriors fans will get tired of your schtick really fast as well.

Jack has no sense of responsibility whatsoever. Nothing is ever his fault, if you listen to him.

Boo-hoo, the refs are out to get me. Boo-hoo, the fans don't like me.

Gee, Jack I can't imagine why that is. :rolleyes: Could it be because your hot-headed "act-first-and-never-think" attitude helped escalate a riot that has ruined our last three seasons, including one in which we were legit title contenders? Could it be because you keep playing lax defense, let your man score while you constantly ***** at the refs, take ill-advised shot after shot, and cuss out the coach on national television? No, that couldn't be it, could it? You're just an innocent person "keeping it real" and "being discrimated against" because "you're Stephen Jackson." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jack needs to grow up and take responsiblity for his actions, and people need to stop making excuses for his foolish, childish behavior.

Unclebuck
05-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Bull****. It is impossible to judge that trade from the Pacers' perspective. The Pacers didn't make that trade for the '07 playoffs, they made that trade to get a head start on the '07 training camp. And they may not be done fixing the roster that at one point in time was broken with so many self-centered pricks like SJax, Artest, Saras, AJ and perhaps (according to many of you) JO, Tinsley, and Al, led by Mr. Personalit himself, Carlisle.

Its not that "the trade didn't work out". Its that it will take a while for the Pacers to purge themselves of all the various forms of cancer that plagued the team.

Its totally unreasonable to judge this trade for the Pacers without the benefit of a training camp. The Pacers aquired "system" players without the luxury of taking the time to teach them the system.

Ironically, the Pacers for the first time probably acquired players that Rick could coach as well, but it was too little too late.

That is the post of the year.

Los Angeles
05-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't see it.

If anything, his words will drive the price up, not down. "It's going to have to be a perfect deal" = "People are going to have to pay through the nose to get JO", but "monster" = "JO will succeed wherever he goes."

That's the kind of thing I like to hear.

I must respectfully disagree, especially about driving the price for JO up.
Even if your theory were true, and teams feel like they need to up the ante in a bidding war, it doesn't change the fact that Jackson feels he has the right to play player spokesman or agent or whatever he's doing. And that's - well - wrong.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2007, 12:24 PM
LA, is it tampering?

How much did the Pacers get fined for Rick's tampering on the coaching search?

I'd laugh hysterically if SJax was fined a huge $$$ amount for tampering.

ajbry
05-11-2007, 12:34 PM
How the hell are you guys getting all offended by this?

Jack was asked a question about his friend and former teammate, and he answered with nothing but respect and praise.

Y'all are really starting to look embarrassingly bitter.

This is a complete non-issue, Jack did absolutely nothing wrong here, if anything he's trying to advocate for the best possible deal to help both sides.

Los Angeles
05-11-2007, 12:34 PM
LA, is it tampering?

I didn't think or know that there was any sort of tampering rule. ???

And what has Carlisle said? I missed that entirely.

Or am I too dense to get a joke? :confused: :confused:

CableKC
05-11-2007, 12:37 PM
LA, is it tampering?

Stern loves to make an example of SJax......I think he can find a reason to fine him for this.....:laugh:

Los Angeles
05-11-2007, 12:41 PM

Jack was asked a question about his friend and former teammate, and he answered with nothing but respect and praise.

This is a complete non-issue, Jack did absolutely nothing wrong here, if anything he's trying to advocate for the best possible deal to help both sides.

So you admit that he's playing advocate?

The only person he was "respectful" to was JO, unless of course you consider the fact that JO has gone way out of his way to stay in the good graces of Indy fans recently and Jackson just sabotaged all of that work by saying that JO wants out.

If I were JO, I'd be pissed as hell.

I would feel the same way if Steve Nash said Dirk wanted out of Dallas. The professional and proper response is "I can't speak for him, so you'll have to ask him."

But you've put up your wall and I honestly think that Jackson can do no harm in your eyes.

Elgin56
05-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Seth, are you actually arguing that confirmation form a recent teammate and friend has absolutely no influence on the trade offers we're going to get now for JO? Sorry, but I completely disagree. That's nearly as bad as Ron going public with trade demands.

You're making this out to be much, much more than it is. This isn't a witch hunt. Jack has done nearly irreparable damage to this franchise, and now he's taking a shot at our fans to boot:

It's called a honeymoon, Jack. Keep playing the way you have the last two games and Warriors fans will get tired of your schtick really fast as well.

Jack has no sense of responsibility whatsoever. Nothing is ever his fault, if you listen to him.

Boo-hoo, the refs are out to get me. Boo-hoo, the fans don't like me.

Gee, Jack I can't imagine why that is. :rolleyes: Could it be because your hot-headed "act-first-and-never-think" attitude helped escalate a riot that has ruined our last three seasons, including one in which we were legit title contenders? Could it be because you keep playing lax defense, let your man score while you constantly ***** at the refs, take ill-advised shot after shot, and cuss out the coach on national television? No, that couldn't be it, could it? You're just an innocent person "keeping it real" and "being discrimated against" because "you're Stephen Jackson." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jack needs to grow up and take responsiblity for his actions, and people need to stop making excuses for his foolish, childish behavior.

Jack needs to grow up and take responsiblity for his actions, and people need to stop making excuses for his foolish, childish behavior. :)

The Jack supporters just don't get it and they never will, it is delusional to think otherwise.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2007, 12:43 PM

That would be foolish, unless he has his NBPA agent's license, which would likely have instructed him to keep his mouth shut about things like this, even if he was privvy to what was going on.

Under any of these defintions, the answer he gave would be entirely inappropriate for him, as a member of one NBA franchise, to be advocating a trade among other NBA franchises.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/advocate

1. One that argues for a cause; a supporter or defender: an advocate of civil rights.

2. One that pleads in another's behalf; an intercessor: advocates for abused children and spouses.

3. A lawyer.

ajbry
05-11-2007, 12:44 PM
The Jack jockstrap hangers, just don't get it and they never will, it is delusional to think otherwise. ;)

What the hell does that add to the conversation?

Man, the double standard around here, particularly regarding Jack, is RIDICULOUS.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I didn't think or know that there was any sort of tampering rule. ???

And what has Carlisle said? I missed that entirely.

Or am I too dense to get a joke? :confused: :confused:

In Rick's press conference, he mentioned several potential candidates, all of which are under contract to other NBA teams. I think Rick forgot that he's still a Pacers employee as VP of Basketball something-and-such.

The NBA is investigating, or was investigating, or something.

It was foolish for Rick to speculate publicly on the coaching candidates.

Alpolloloco
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM

I think you're living in denial about Stephen Jackson where you can't see anything wrong, whatever he does. This behaviour of you (and some others) has led me to really dislike the guy, much more than I did when he just came to the Pacers.

It's good to have favourite players (heck, I made the "wrong" choice to like Sarunas) but we don't have to go overboard and defend our guys to the end, and I know I did the same with the Sarunas bashfest some time ago. Looking backwards I can only smile about it and I don't get angry anymore if someone still says something negative about him. I certainly don't feel the need to make big argumentive posts to point out why I care about the guy, which only fickles the one who dislike him.

It's allright to agree to disagree about certain subjects, but let's not aggrivate each other, it only makes us more cynical and bitter!

ajbry
05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I think you're living in denial about Stephen Jackson where you can't see anything wrong, whatever he does. This behaviour of you (and some others) has led me to really dislike the guy, much more than I did when he just came to the Pacers.

It's good to have favourite players (heck, I made the "wrong" choice to like Sarunas) but we don't have to go overboard and defend our guys to the end, and I know I did the same with the Sarunas bashfest some time ago. Looking backwards I can only smile about it and I don't get angry anymore if someone still says something negative about him. I certainly don't feel the need to make big argumentive posts to point out why I care about the guy, which only fickles the one who dislike him.

It's allright to agree to disagree about certain subjects, but let's not aggrivate each other, it only makes us more cynical and bitter!

I completely understand your point. However, this particular instance just doesn't appear to be a big deal. He's not slandering the Pacers organization or anything, just trying to talk about his friend's frustrations.

Hicks
05-11-2007, 12:49 PM
What the hell does that add to the conversation?

Man, the double standard around here, particularly regarding Jack, is RIDICULOUS.

You know, it's easy to cry double-standard when you quote a minutes-old post.

I've asked Elgin56 to tone it down because I want everyone to stay cool and not get fired up over this. Please do the same by not hastily reacting to it.

And IMO the other thing you need to keep in mind while you're here is that sometimes you truly have a beef with people taking shots at you, but other times you're feeling defensive over criticisms of a guy that's earned criticism. The line can get blurry.

Los Angeles
05-11-2007, 01:08 PM
In Rick's press conference, he mentioned several potential candidates, all of which are under contract to other NBA teams. I think Rick forgot that he's still a Pacers employee as VP of Basketball something-and-such.

The NBA is investigating, or was investigating, or something.

It was foolish for Rick to speculate publicly on the coaching candidates.

Didn't know that - but I missed the press conference because I was obsessed with going surfing as soon as the season ended.

Whether the harm is intentional is besides the point - harm is still done when you try and speak for others.

ABADays
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
I have to give Jackson a pass on this one. You can tell his deep, deep concern about JO is the reason for his 9-32 shooting against the Jazz.

Trader Joe
05-11-2007, 01:13 PM

How? Ron demanded his trade publicly and openly. This isn't JO, hell this isn't even a current member of the Pacers. This is a guy who already has a negative image around the NBA opening his big mouth and saying what he thinks everyone wants to hear. If you think NBA GMs are tuning into Stephen Jackson to get their trade news on the Indiana Pacers you are sorely mistaken.
If this was truely JO asked a friend to tell the world how he feels why wouldn't he have Al do it? A guy that wasn't involved in the worst brawl in NBA history and wasn't being booed by the home fans when he left? Why would he have Jack do it?
This is no more than Jack being Jack. Thinking he is far more important to the grand scheme of things then he really is.
Jack isn't on the Pacers anymore, Jack isn't in the same conference anymore, Jack doesn't even play in the same time zone anymore. Jack could come out tomorrow and say that JO hates the whole state of Indiana, and his opinion would still mean zilch. Why? Because at this point Stephen Jackson has about as much involvement with the Indiana Pacers as you or me.

Jermaniac
05-11-2007, 01:18 PM
LOL @ This being as bad as Ron going out and saying he wants to be traded. This has no impact on the trade.

WTF Do you think GM's will go "Ohh man Stephen Jackson said Jermaine O'Neal wants to be traded, now Donnie Walsh is going to have to give up Jermaine for a 2nd round pick." If Jermaine is going to be traded GM's will know Jermaine is going to be traded what Stephen Jackson says has no impact on it.

BruceLeeroy
05-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Just get JO to play with Kobe thats all I want to see before I die. Kobe and JO.

**yawn**

Roferr
05-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't think what Jax says amounts to a hill of beans about JO. Everyone knows JO has talked about being traded for a long while now. I do think that JO is mealy-mouthed and is playing both sides. There's no doubt in my mind that he wants out and he knows it but he's trying to straddle the fence. That way he comes out smelling like roses, either way.

I do take offense with what Jax said about the trade not working out. Maybe not in the short haul but this time next year there may a completely different scenario. If Davis can't stay healthy and Harrington is not playing up to snuff, Jax will be playing on a loser. I can't phantom how he thinks the deal didn't work out. Just because Davis came back playing all-star ball doesn't make them the benefactors of the best trade.

A full season has to transpire at least before you can ascertain the
soundness of the trade. I think Ike will come along and Dun will be a much better player with 20lbs of more muscle. Murph is still in the equation, also. He's not as bad as most people have been saying. In the long run, I think it will prove out that the Pacers got the better end of the deal.

Shade
05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
How? Ron demanded his trade publicly and openly. This isn't JO, hell this isn't even a current member of the Pacers. This is a guy who already has a negative image around the NBA opening his big mouth and saying what he thinks everyone wants to hear. If you think NBA GMs are tuning into Stephen Jackson to get their trade news on the Indiana Pacers you are sorely mistaken.
If this was truely JO asked a friend to tell the world how he feels why wouldn't he have Al do it? A guy that wasn't involved in the worst brawl in NBA history and wasn't being booed by the home fans when he left? Why would he have Jack do it?
This is no more than Jack being Jack. Thinking he is far more important to the grand scheme of things then he really is.
Jack isn't on the Pacers anymore, Jack isn't in the same conference anymore, Jack doesn't even play in the same time zone anymore. Jack could come out tomorrow and say that JO hates the whole state of Indiana, and his opinion would still mean zilch. Why? Because at this point Stephen Jackson has about as much involvement with the Indiana Pacers as you or me.

Do you really believe that, because Jack and JO now play on different teams, they never speak to each other anymore? Or that they're not friends anymore?

I believe Jack is telling the truth, otherwise there's really no reason for him to say what he did. But the point is the timing of the comment. It can do no good for JO to come out and say what he said, and then have Jack come out and publically refute him.

But, who knows? Maybe Jack really didn't mean anything by it. He does have a nagging tendency to speak without thinking. Kind of like another infamous ex-Pacer...

I definitely don't appreciate him taking a shot at our fans, though.

Shade
05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
LOL @ This being as bad as Ron going out and saying he wants to be traded. This has no impact on the trade.

WTF Do you think GM's will go "Ohh man Stephen Jackson said Jermaine O'Neal wants to be traded, now Donnie Walsh is going to have to give up Jermaine for a 2nd round pick." If Jermaine is going to be traded GM's will know Jermaine is going to be traded what Stephen Jackson says has no impact on it.

Trade offers are generally lower for players that are publically known to be disgruntled.

Jermaniac
05-11-2007, 01:43 PM
**yawn**Ya dont say?

Shade
05-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Ya dont say?

I think I asked you this before, and I'm not sure if you ever answered, but if JO were to get traded to the Lakers, would you be a bigger Lakers fan than Pacers fan? I'm not trying to test your fandom or anything, I'm just really curious the thought a fan would have if his two favorite players were playing for another team while his current favorite team was basically stuck in hell.

Jermaniac
05-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I think I asked you this before, and I'm not sure if you ever answered, but if JO were to get traded to the Lakers, would you be a bigger Lakers fan than Pacers fan? I'm not trying to test your fandom or anything, I'm just really curious the thought a fan would have if his two favorite players were playing for another team while his current favorite team was basically stuck in hell.
I answered you before.

I said Pacers will always be my favorite team. But that doesnt mean that I wont be watching the Lakers and cheering for JO to win. The Lakers would move up to number 2 on my list.

grace
05-11-2007, 02:43 PM
QFT, I really wonder what people would think and post if Cro or even Reggie Miller laid down the same quotes.

We'll never know because they we're dumb enough to say it to the media.

Roaming Gnome
05-11-2007, 03:51 PM
:drama:

The guy that wrote this piece was on "The Drive w/ JMV" yesterday a little after 3pm. He said that HE ASKED Jack about J.O.'s situation in regards to the Sam Smith artlcle and J.O. denial. In the radio interview with JMV, this writer actually mentioned that Jackson was somewhat reluctant to talk about Indiana.

I just don't see why and how most of you keep wanting to "manufacture" angles to hate a guy that doesn't even play here anymore.

Jackson was asked a question...He gave an answer. The answer he gave is something that he has some knowledge about. If that were not the case, the writer wouldn't be asking him. Look, just because he doesn't play here anymore and the fan base cant stand him doesn't mean that him and J.O. are not decently tight. Anyway, what Jack said has been speculated in the NBA for months. Stephen Jackson's comments don't validate anything any more then it was before.

Just be glad that J.O. has the class and respect for the franchise and Donnie Walsh to go about his business in a manner that doesn't hamstring the franchise. Then again...to some of you, there is nothing J.O. could do right no matter how hard he tried.

Since86
05-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Just because you're asked a question, doesn't mean you have to answer it.

A "no comment," or a "that's between JO and TPTB, and it's none of my business" would have sufficed.

For the record, it doesn't upset me. I expect nothing less from Mr. Jackson. He has shown time and time again that his decision skills are, for lack of a better term, lacking.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
05-11-2007, 04:06 PM
with jax i say this bull ****** bec JO will have said he wanted be traded for fans sake but if he not say a word and jax say he Jo want be traded he just makeing JO pissed at him MHO so here my idea if JO wanted be traded i say for one for one swap with tracy mcgrady from huston ... we get a sg while ike get grow at pf just my thoughts lakers and ny hell no..

indygeezer
05-11-2007, 04:08 PM
:drama:

The guy that wrote this piece was on "The Drive w/ JMV" yesterday a little after 3pm. He said that HE ASKED Jack about J.O.'s situation in regards to the Sam Smith artlcle and J.O. denial. In the radio interview with JMV, this writer actually mentioned that Jackson was somewhat reluctant to talk about Indiana.

I just don't see why and how most of you keep wanting to "manufacture" angles to hate a guy that doesn't even play here anymore.

Jackson was asked a question...He gave an answer. The answer he gave is something that he has some knowledge about. If that were not the case, the writer wouldn't be asking him. Look, just because he doesn't play here anymore and the fan base cant stand him doesn't mean that him and J.O. are not decently tight. Anyway, what Jack said has been speculated in the NBA for months. Stephen Jackson's comments don't validate anything any more then it was before.

Just be glad that J.O. has the class and respect for the franchise and Donnie Walsh to go about his business in a manner that doesn't hamstring the franchise. Then again...to some of you, there is nothing J.O. could do right no matter how hard he tried.

Well said, except for one missed point.

You are the star of the team, you have just told national media that your preference is to stay where you are. Your buddy follows that up with a statement that you really want out and that you want to go to NY or LA.

IOW...he has told everybody that your are either a liar or a suckup. Just the kind of thing you want the ones you ride with doing. Here, stand over against that wall while I load my pistol will ya?

Roaming Gnome
05-11-2007, 04:46 PM

You are the star of the team, you have just told national media that your preference is to stay where you are. Your buddy follows that up with a statement that you really want out and that you want to go to NY or LA.

IOW...he has told everybody that your are either a liar or a suckup. Just the kind of thing you want the ones you ride with doing. Here, stand over against that wall while I load my pistol will ya?

Geezer, you are right....I did miss that point totally, but my response was more in regards to "Jackson's still hurting this franchise" then Jackson totally hanging Jermaine out to dry.

"Just because you're asked a question, doesn't mean you have to answer it." Yeah, that is the answer that I would expect on being asked a suspect question. I honestly don't see what was so wrong or suspect about that question or what he said. I could easily see him not thinking that his answer was hurting anyone, and just give it.

Trader Joe
05-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Do you really believe that, because Jack and JO now play on different teams, they never speak to each other anymore? Or that they're not friends anymore?

I believe Jack is telling the truth, otherwise there's really no reason for him to say what he did. But the point is the timing of the comment. It can do no good for JO to come out and say what he said, and then have Jack come out and publically refute him.

But, who knows? Maybe Jack really didn't mean anything by it. He does have a nagging tendency to speak without thinking. Kind of like another infamous ex-Pacer...

I definitely don't appreciate him taking a shot at our fans, though.

Do you think Jack really needs a reason to open his mouth? I sure don't.

Trader Joe
05-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Trade offers are generally lower for players that are publically known to be disgruntled.

No one with any real weight within the Pacers organization or the NBA for that matter has said JO is disgruntled.

Since86
05-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Which is why Jackson's statement hurts the team. Because no one wants to say that he wants out, and categorically denies that's been the conversations, but Stephen takes it upon himself to say so.

Trader Joe
05-11-2007, 04:59 PM

I agree, Jack's comments are more telling as to what kind of friend/person he is. I just really don't see how this hurts the Pacers as an organization though. I stand by my belief that it would hurt much more if this was Tinsley, Foster, Granger or someone else currently employed by the Pacers. JO and Jack maybe friends, but who does JO not get along with in the NBA? JO speaks with a lot of players and I have never heard JO say, "I don't like that dude" or something of the like except for maybe Ron.

OnlyPacersLeft
05-11-2007, 05:03 PM
*shrugs* I guess maybe he's saying that JO feels he's not wanted here? damn. I love how indiana fans are so quick to want to rid tinsley and JO but don't realize how much we will suck without them.

BlueNGold
05-11-2007, 05:25 PM

Jack probably is telling the truth here, but it's clearly unprofessional and hurts our negotiating position. If you do not understand that, there is nothing more to say.

pwee31
05-11-2007, 05:29 PM
All the bickering is over someone elses opinion. We all read the article and know what was said, and we all take it to mean, what we got from reading the article. Whether you're Jackson backers, haters or unbias, you're going to have your personal opinion of what you took from to article... that's good b/c it leads to discussion, but don't discredit someone's opinion b/c it seems bias or unbias.

I don't have a problem with Jack, I thought he was knuckleheaded at times, but I still liked the guy and continue to hope he does well.... BUT I also thought it was a question he could've not commented on. Whether he's close with JO and the situation or not, he has the right, but shouldn't have a reason to comment on it. He's in a playoff race in which his team is down 2-0, he hasn't played that well, and he also has a court date that SHOULD take place next month.

I'm sure he's heard or read about the JO wants to be traded to Knicks rumor, and I'm also sure he heard JO be professional and say they wasn't any truth to that.. so why not leave it at that?! Even if you have heard otherwise, the situation has nothing to do with you... You so called friend (JO) has already commented on it, and you come out and contradict what he had said!! Whether there's something goin on behind the scenes or not, I don't feel there was a need to make a comment on it.

Will it hurt JO's trade value? Who knows?! we're not making the deals, but I think we all know GMs and owners will use things like that to there advantage when it comes to the bargaining table, so even if it isn't true, they can say they believe otherwise. It could be true that JO doesn't want to dog out the city and franchise, but it could also be true that he doesn't want to be here anymore, and JO and Donnie may both know that... but the word doesn't need to be spread around by one... let alone multiple sources.

Mourning
05-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I love how indiana fans are so quick to want to rid tinsley and JO

Quick!??? :-o

Hicks
05-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Quick!??? :-o

Yeah, I don't get that either. JO has been here for 7 years, and Tinsley for 6 years.

Roaming Gnome
05-11-2007, 07:52 PM
All the bickering is over someone elses opinion. We all read the article and know what was said, and we all take it to mean, what we got from reading the article. Whether you're Jackson backers, haters or unbias, you're going to have your personal opinion of what you took from to article... that's good b/c it leads to discussion, but don't discredit someone's opinion b/c it seems bias or unbias.

I don't have a problem with Jack, I thought he was knuckleheaded at times, but I still liked the guy and continue to hope he does well.... BUT I also thought it was a question he could've not commented on. Whether he's close with JO and the situation or not, he has the right, but shouldn't have a reason to comment on it. He's in a playoff race in which his team is down 2-0, he hasn't played that well, and he also has a court date that SHOULD take place next month.

I'm sure he's heard or read about the JO wants to be traded to Knicks rumor, and I'm also sure he heard JO be professional and say they wasn't any truth to that.. so why not leave it at that?! Even if you have heard otherwise, the situation has nothing to do with you... You so called friend (JO) has already commented on it, and you come out and contradict what he had said!! Whether there's something goin on behind the scenes or not, I don't feel there was a need to make a comment on it.

Will it hurt JO's trade value? Who knows?! we're not making the deals, but I think we all know GMs and owners will use things like that to there advantage when it comes to the bargaining table, so even if it isn't true, they can say they believe otherwise. It could be true that JO doesn't want to dog out the city and franchise, but it could also be true that he doesn't want to be here anymore, and JO and Donnie may both know that... but the word doesn't need to be spread around by one... let alone multiple sources.

I like this post, I like it a lot...

madison
05-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Comments from Jax don't mean a whole lot given that he probably hasn't spoken directly to JO in quite some time. If I were JO, I'd be careful what I said to Jax in the future, however, since whatever is said might end up being reported in the press. Personally, I suspect that the GM's around the league probably discuss all kinds of scenarios from time to time, including the possibility of all-star trades. It's a business after all. But, I take it at face value that JO hasn't actively lobbied for a trade for the sake of a trade. He may, however, have told TPTB that if a trade works for everyone (JO and the Pacers, too), go ahead and pull the trigger. After all, he's facing a lot of uncertainty even standing pat in Indy -- new coach, likely new PG, and perhaps another new starter or two. JO's a ten-year vet so he knows how the league works. Let's give him some credit for class and savvy.

Bball
05-11-2007, 09:15 PM
*shrugs* I guess maybe he's saying that JO feels he's not wanted here? damn. I love how indiana fans are so quick to want to rid tinsley and JO but don't realize how much we will suck without them.

...Unlike this year with them....

-Bball

BoomBaby31
05-11-2007, 09:37 PM
No offense, but that is an absolutely horrible trade for us. Even worse than the Golden State trade.

Nah.. that would be a good trade, and the best we could get. Plust the draft is stacked. You very rarely get equal value for superstars. GS trade was horrible but, I know why we had to do it.