PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudemire: "Spurs a dirty team"

Moses
05-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Amare Stoudemire called the Spurs a "dirty team" and was specifically angry with Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen, who he says have intentionally tried to hurt him.
"He [Bowen] kicked me purposely in the back of my Achilles'. I almost came down wrong and he almost caused an injury," Stoudemire said on Thursday. "He's known for doing that. I just hope the NBA and the commissioner take a look at that because it's definitely a dirty play." The video is available on YouTube.com and it does appear that Bowen possibly kicked him on purpose. This will add some extra drama and intensity to what is already one of the best playoff matchups this season.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&id=856

Now normally, this isn't really post worthy..but I found the video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4yz__akIU

First and foremost, this makes me hate Bruce Bowen even more. We've seen him intentionally injure players before, but this is so blatant it's not even funny. What he did is not a "basketball move."

Moses
05-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh, and in case anybody thinks Bowen isn't a piece of scum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPQkEsM8uM&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGQMubkHKPE&mode=related&search=

Shade
05-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Amare's 100% right about Bowen.

rexnom
05-10-2007, 09:48 PM
100% agree.

Unclebuck
05-10-2007, 09:51 PM
63% agree

JayRedd
05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
63% agree

True...The one on Anthony Parker in the paint was a normal accident in traffic.

The Jamal Crawford one is typical suspect Bowen behavior.

But the one on Amare is 100% bush league garbage.

BlueNGold
05-10-2007, 10:08 PM
That was clearly intentional. It's not certain that the attempt was to injure. It might have been an attempt to step on his foot to disrupt his shot....but that's a dirty play anyway and he should be suspended for that.

Hicks
05-10-2007, 10:27 PM
That video is pretty damning. I was already "pretty sure" he was dirty, now I have no doubts. That's just wrong of him. Thankfully it didn't work.

SoupIsGood
05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Man... normally I try to side with Bowen on this stuff, but it's getting harder and harder to.

Dr. Goldfoot
05-10-2007, 11:59 PM
This is my favorite Bowen youtube clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAakQjpFibg

tdubb03
05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
I assumed Bowen's dirty rep just came about because of his good defense.

After watching the YouTube stuff there's really no argument. I wonder how many other players Bowen's hurt. Surprised Czar Stern hasn't done anything.

BoomBaby31
05-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Bowen is a dirty player but those dirty defensive skills has kept him in the league a long long time. If it wasn't for his defense Bowen wouldn't be on anyones roster.

Lord Helmet
05-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Bowen is trash.

That said, go Suns.

rexnom
05-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Bowen is a dirty player but those dirty defensive skills has kept him in the league a long long time. If it wasn't for his defense Bowen wouldn't be on anyones roster.
Maybe he should learn to play real defense. Personally, I think Shawn Marion is a better defensive player...and he pretty much guards anyone the Spurs trot out.

As for Bowen, he purposefully went to injury someone who just missed an entire season due to injury.

tora tora
05-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Oh yeah, he's dirty

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UI5pE2-bXkE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UI5pE2-bXkE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Trader Joe
05-11-2007, 02:16 AM
This is my favorite Bowen youtube clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAakQjpFibg

I'm surprised this clip isn't the first thing off the presses in a case to prove that Bowen is dirty. He kicks Wally in the face and theres no way it wasn't intentional.

Anyways, Bowen is dirty I came to that conclusion sometime ago. I feel like most people know it because he hasn't gotten voted DPOY.

Also, am I the only one that feels like Bowen is building so much bad karma that his career is going to end in the most horrific ankle injury of all time?

Pingu
05-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Bowen certainly is a dirty player but that doesn't make the Spurs a dirty team.

I'd be interested in watching a video of Ginobili intentionaly trying to hurt Amare, although to the best of my knowledge he's not a dirty player, unlike for instance his argentinian teammate Nocioni.

Beyond Bowen, and maybe Ginobili, I don't see anybody else on the Spurs roster who would deserve to be called dirty players.

Duncan, Parker, Horry, Finley, Barry are all class acts in my book.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
05-11-2007, 06:52 AM
I like the Spurs, Ive never liked Bowen. He has a history of injuring players, specifically Vince Carter, using the same exact move. He takes out their legs while they are in the air. Always the same thing.

I dont usually advocate violence in sports or wish for a player to get injured, but Bowen really needs to catch a stray elbow or two to the face ala Karl Malone style. Maybe that would teach him a lesson because Stern certainly doesn't do anything about it despite it being common knowledge hes a dirty player.

Los Angeles
05-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I think kicking the Achilles was an accident. I think putting his foot down where Amare is going to land was likely intentional (based on history). Watch when Amare comes down - his left foot misses Bowen's "kicking" foot only by 6 inches or so.

Moses
05-11-2007, 07:19 AM
I don't think the entire Spurs team is dirty, but crap like this just annoys the hell out of me. Sorry I didn't dig up all the youtube material I could find as I was really in a hurry when I made the second post and was walking out the door almost.

Skaut_Ech
05-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I think Bowen is a great, pesky, defender....but I alklso think there is no doubt that he has a patented move of looking away as he has repeatedly tried to slide his foot under a numb er of offensive players.

We talked about this a few years ago on here and over time, he's just kept it up. I think it's too bad the league can't find a way to suspend him for a season. I'm serious. It's just like a lineman in football who habitually chop blocks. I hate muther f:censored: who facetiously do crap like that, then feign ignorance ot their actions. Bowen is a dirty piece of crap.

The Spurs, though, are a great organization and I've always like their teams and how they've handled themselves.

Mac_Daddy
05-11-2007, 08:35 AM
I remember there being an incident where Bowen cracked someone right in the family jewels. Am I just mistaking? I can't remember it well, may have been someone else.

Hicks
05-11-2007, 09:00 AM
I think Bowen is a great, pesky, defender....but I alklso think there is no doubt that he has a patented move of looking away as he has repeatedly tried to slide his foot under a numb er of offensive players.

We talked about this a few years ago on here and over time, he's just kept it up. I think it's too bad the league can't find a way to suspend him for a season. I'm serious. It's just like a lineman in football who habitually chop blocks. I hate muther f:censored: who facetiously do crap like that, then feign ignorance ot their actions. Bowen is a dirty piece of crap.

The Spurs, though, are a great organization and I've always like their teams and how they've handled themselves.

I agree on all accounts.

Los Angeles, I can maybe buy that the "kick" was a side-effect of him trying to get his foot underneath Amare, but watching that video he's clearly swiping his foot out further than a player normally would, it's in a slight sweeping/kicking motion. So to me, at best he's still intentionally putting his foot (well, trying) under Amare, but typically (see the other videos) he just slides his foot straight towards his "target", but this time he sweeps.

Los Angeles
05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
I can buy that, Mal.

Either way, I think everyone can agree that this is not normal and definitely not safe foot movement for a defender who is behind the offensive player.

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2007, 09:54 AM
The Spurs need to figure out a way to sneak Charles Oakley into a game - just for a couple of minutes.

Bowen is absolutely a dirty player.

Now, is he trying to hurt anyone? I doubt it - what he wants is to make you so concerned about what you might land on that you don't concentrate on your shot. But the fact is that people do get hurt by this move.

Doug
05-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Now, is he trying to hurt anyone?

If you *intentionally* stick your foot under a player in the air, knowing he *could* come down in it, you ARE trying to hurt someone.

Ban the cheap-shotting SOB.

If you can't tell, I absolutely hate it when a player runs under me when I'm in the air. Especially when there's no possible way they can make a play on the ball.

naptownmenace
05-11-2007, 10:23 AM
I think the Suns should insert Pat Burke or some other end of the bench guy to just come into the game and clotheline Bowen the next time he performs his patented foot/leg-slide into an airborne player.

The two attacks against NY this past season (Francis suffered a high ankle sprain) sealed it for me but this was just too blatently obvious. If that had been Ron Artest doing the exact same thing, he would've got at least a 1 game suspension... maybe 2!

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2007, 10:54 AM
If you *intentionally* stick your foot under a player in the air, knowing he *could* come down in it, you ARE trying to hurt someone.

That's like saying, "If you give a player going for a layup a hard foul and know that he *could* land badly, you ARE trying to hurt someone."

I don't disagree that he should start getting games off until he quits but there's a difference between intentionally trying to cripple someone and doing something that "might" hurt someone. IMO he mainly wants players to think more about where they'll land than about their shot.

Of course I have no basis for this belief - I just can't conceive of a pro athlete doing something 2-3 times a game with the mental thought of, "I hope I break this guy's ankle and put him out for the season and maybe end his career." The idea is just too unpleasant.

rexnom
05-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't think the Spurs are dirty necessarily...but they are the biggest floppers this side of the Atlantic.

And they do it SOOOOO obviously...like Barbosa's off the ball "foul" on Tony Parker in game one that had a HUGE impact on the game.

Vlade Divac is rolling over in his grave.

Doug
05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
IMO he mainly wants players to think more about where they'll land than about their shot.

And why are they concerned? Because there is a very real possibility they could get hurt. IMO, that's very cheap and dirty and deserves a suspension. And if Bowen rationalizes it as "I just want them to think about it, I don't really want to hurt them even though I know there's a chance I could", then he is wrong, a weasel, and deserves a ban.

That said, it *is* probably something the players could police themselves, if you like "vigilante justice."

I don't mind a hard foul, at all. That's clearly part of the game. Now, going low on a hard foul on a layup is a different manner, but that's not what are talking about.

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2007, 11:13 AM
And why are they concerned? Because there is a very real possibility they could get hurt. IMO, that's very cheap and dirty and deserves a suspension. And if Bowen rationalizes it as "I just want them to think about it, I don't really want to hurt them even though I know there's a chance I could", then he is wrong, a weasel, and deserves a ban.

That said, it *is* probably something the players could police themselves, if you like "vigilante justice."

I don't mind a hard foul, at all. That's clearly part of the game. Now, going low on a hard foul on a layup is a different manner, but that's not what are talking about.

I don't want you to think I'm defending him. I doubt a drunk driver turns the key thinking, "I hope I kill someone tonight" but it doesn't mean I think anything other than a prison sentence is appropriate.

BTW - doesn't Kurt Thomas play for the Suns?

Jermaniac
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
I dont know why no one has gone upside Bowens head yet.

carpediem024
05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Let's see Bowen do that on Jack or Artest, let's see what happens.

99.9% Dirty player.

Doug
05-11-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't want you to think I'm defending him.I know. I think we just different on the severity of this. Actually, I wouldn't want a BAN, but I do think a suspension is deserved.

If you can't tell, about the only thing that will really set me off on the basketball court is somebody intentionally going low on me. I had a guy run under and in front of me on a layup this morning. He wasn't trying to hurt me, but he was only a couple of inches from sending me head over heals. Which probably would have since I was going full speed and was pretty well up in the air. He has exactly zero vertical leap and very little hope of making a play on the ball. He did manage to get my arm as I was going up, but at what risk?

Now, if he had the hops to get up in the air and challenge the shot - or give a hard foul, I've got no problem, because the contact is all going to be with our centers of gravity about even and the chance of me getting my legs cut is much, much smaller.

If I'm in the air and have to go from "jumping" to "surviving" because somebody cut my legs - or faked at it, I get mad. He didn't cut them or fake at them, but the possibility of getting cut was very real. I held my composure pretty well this morning - I don't think anybody knew it pissed me off - but as you can tell, I'm still simmering more than a little about it.

I know this isn't the situation we're talking about with Bowen, just wanted to explain why I'm somewhat emotional about this one.

Moses
05-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Big surprise. He knees Nash in the crotch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8iJppJ15s

Bowen is a piece of garbage.

Hicks
05-14-2007, 08:07 PM
And you know, It's a shame that the entire team gets dragged into this reputation, if even only a little bit. It's pretty much all Bowen IMO. I've never seen anything to make me think Ginobili, Duncan, Parker, etc. are dirty.

SoupIsGood
05-14-2007, 08:24 PM
And you know, It's a shame that the entire team gets dragged into this reputation, if even only a little bit. It's pretty much all Bowen IMO. I've never seen anything to make me think Ginobili, Duncan, Parker, etc. are dirty.

Agreed. It's pretty much just Bowen. Ginobili will sometimes flop, and Duncan gets that whiney face at the refs, but they aren't dirty.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
05-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Which leg did Amare have the microfracture in, was it the same leg Bowen kicked? If so thats really f'd up.

Anthem
05-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Um, wow.

Bump.

SoupIsGood
05-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Haha, Horry not helping things here. But at least he's been and will be punished for it - got flagrant 2 and prolly will get suspended (I'd hope).

Hicks
05-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah, honorary mention for Robert Horry, though he can't hold a candle to Bowen.

SamBear
05-15-2007, 12:56 AM
If Bruce was on your team... you wouldn't even be posting this. :devil:

:laugh:

SamBear
05-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Haha, Horry not helping things here. But at least he's been and will be punished for it - got flagrant 2 and prolly will get suspended (I'd hope).

Nice soup.....

Shade
05-15-2007, 01:00 AM
So far:

- Bowen steps on Amare's achilles
- Bowen knees Nash in the nads
- Horry hipcheck's Nash into the scorer's table

Just keeping score. ;)

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-15-2007, 01:07 AM
what's the score after Amare and Diaw get suspended for stepping onto the court? (because of BOB's actions)

Trader Joe
05-15-2007, 01:07 AM
So the Spurs have done a really good job of making Amare look foolish so far...

Trader Joe
05-15-2007, 01:09 AM
what's the score after Amare and Diaw get suspended for stepping onto the court? (because of BOB's actions)

Spurs: 1
Suns and fans of good clean basketball: 0

Seriously the Suns need someone to be an enforcer. Someone the Spurs is going to have to be decked for these to stop. Until then the Spurs are going to continue to do it.

SoupIsGood
05-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Nice soup.....

What? If I remember right you can't even stand Horry ;)

He gave Nash one heck of a whack - he deserves punishment. And the evidence against Bowen is piling big-time.

Moses
05-15-2007, 01:54 AM
What a surprise.

:laugh: :laugh:

VF21
05-15-2007, 02:19 AM
Wow.

That was just a disgusting display by Robert Horry. I spent some time reading on a Spurs board and was totally blown away by the number of people who want to call Horry's move a "good, clean hard check" while clamoring for Amare and Diaw's suspension for the "leaving the bench" rule.

I have watched this game of basketball for over 40 years and I do NOT like seeing crap like this. The idea the Spurs could end up with an advantage because Robert Horry body checked Nash into the scorer's table just makes me want to hack up my spleen.