PDA

View Full Version : The Pacers need to go after Jason Terry

Shade
05-10-2007, 09:22 PM
The Mavs fans seem disenchanted with him, and word is he may be on the block.

I'm not sure what it would take to make him a Pacer, but we should definitely look into it.

Ike
JO
Granger
Quis
Terry

Could be a solid starting core.

indyman37
05-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I would take "Jet" in a heart beat.

Kegboy
05-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Oh god, not this again. Didn't you post this 4 years ago Shade?

Shade
05-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Oh god, not this again. Didn't you post this 4 years ago Shade?

Probably. The only thing that has happened in that time is that Terry has played in the Finals and Tinsley hasn't. :shrug:

King Tuts Tomb
05-10-2007, 09:34 PM
The Mavs fans seem disenchanted with him, and word is he may be on the block.

I'm not sure what it would take to make him a Pacer, but we should definitely look into it.

Ike
JO
Granger
Quis
Terry

Could be a solid starting core.

Terry is one of my favorite players and I would love to get him, but do we have anything they want?

Kegboy
05-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Probably. The only thing that has happened in that time is that Terry has played in the Finals and Tinsley hasn't. :shrug:

Yeah, but Jason Williams beat him. Maybe we should have gotten him instead.

Unclebuck
05-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I'd be thrilled to have Jason Terry and a backcourt of Terry and Daniels I think would be excellent

ajbry
Terry was best friends with Jack during their Atlanta days. I'm not sure y'all want to be associated with all that.

But he's a pretty solid PG who can at least put some points on the board. His tendency to be a bit of 2 playing the 1 would probably irritate some Pacers fans though.

rexnom
Buy low...love this idea shade. They want to get tougher? How about Jeff Foster and David Harrison?

Shade
05-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Terry was best friends with Jack during their Atlanta days. I'm not sure y'all want to be associated with all that.

But he's a pretty solid PG who can at least put some points on the board. His tendency to be a bit of 2 playing the 1 would probably irritate some Pacers fans though.

Terry and Quis are both combo guards to an extent, so they would basically share duties when they play together, IMO.

Shade
05-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Buy low...love this idea shade. They want to get tougher? How about Jeff Foster and David Harrison?

I would do that in a heartbeat, and I think even UB would go along with that.

I would even be willing to take on Damp if they take Murphy, if that's what it took to get it done.

Shade
05-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah, but Jason Williams beat him. Maybe we should have gotten him instead.

Nah, but that Wade guy looks kinda interesting... :-p

JayRedd
05-10-2007, 09:53 PM

Good luck with that.

Don't think we have anything they would want aside from JO. And I'm not sure they have enough they're willing to part with to get him. Maybe Terry, Stack and a pick, but I'm guessing they wouldn't offer that much. Josh is clearly untouchable, and it's not like they can trade both Terry and Harris.

Don't see any real potential for a deal between us.

Shade
05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Good luck with that.

Don't think we have anything they would want aside from JO. And I'm not sure they have enough they're willing to part with to get him. Maybe Terry, Stack and a pick, but I'm guessing they wouldn't offer that much. Josh is clearly untouchable, and it's not like they can trade both Terry and Harris.

Don't be so sure. We did get Quis off of them for Cro.

rexnom
05-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Good luck with that.

Yeah, I was kind of joking...I have to agree with you here. I don't think that they are down enough on Terry...only then could we steal something from them.

JayRedd
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM

True...but Quis was superflous to them considering they had JT, Devin, Josh, Stack and, to a lesser extent, Dirk on the perimeter. Plus newly drafted Ager, who they probably viewed as similar and much cheaper.

Now, Cubes and Avery are in full-throttle, 5th-gear win-now mode. So you have to look at it from their point of view. Amd who do we have that could step in and play a major role in getting them a ring. I see absolutely no one except JO. Danny/Shawne probably doesn't interest them whatsoever since they already have Josh Howard in that role and he's much better/developed than both.

Maybe Ike, I suppose, if they're really, really big on him and think they really need a low block scorer to put them over the top. But me thinks they could target someone more proven than Ike if that was there intent.

Foster? He does seem like an Avery type guy, but, again, I think they could do better.

Hicks
05-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I wanted JT back when we were trading for Jackson, and I'd still love to have him now.

Sollozzo
05-10-2007, 10:44 PM
I remember when this was brought up 3 years ago and hardly anyone wanted to replace Tinsley with Terry. I wonder how many would change their minds now.

wintermute
05-10-2007, 10:52 PM
jason terry has 5 years left on his contract worth about $9m per. that's troy murphy money. if you think tinsley is untradeable then the jet is even worse.

he's an undersized sg who can't create enough on his own. he can shoot though which is something we need. still, that's a lot to pay for someone who's not a true #2 scorer nor a true playmaker.

in terms of "buy low sell high" he's definitely at a "low" now, considering his contract and weaknesses.

Hicks
05-10-2007, 11:06 PM
If we can get him for cents on the dollar, then do it. Otherwise, if you want to get him and swap one bad contract for a worse one, you could do Tinsley, Foster, and Murphy for Terry and Dampier. At least this time we'd be overpaying a true center, but man... his contract is worse than Murphy's.

skyfire
05-10-2007, 11:15 PM
If we can get him for cents on the dollar, then do it. Otherwise, if you want to get him and swap one bad contract for a worse one, you could do Tinsley, Foster, and Murphy for Terry and Dampier. At least this time we'd be overpaying a true center, but man... his contract is worse than Murphy's.

Jet wouldn't give us much in terms of perimeter defense at the PG, but he would complement Quis quite well. If we could get him on the cheap in a deal like the one quoted above, I think we should be all over it.

SycamoreKen
05-10-2007, 11:28 PM
That might, what, get us back to the playoffs? A nice complementary player, but we need something for him to complement besides JO.

Y2J
05-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Terry is overpaid, getting up there in age (he'll be 30 when the season starts) and outside of his very good (not even great) shooting he's mediocre. If you want the Pacers to continue to be a team stuck in neutral for the next 4-5 years, go for it. I'd much rather rebuild the championship way - through the draft and free agency.

Shade
05-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Terry is overpaid, getting up there in age (he'll be 30 when the season starts) and outside of his very good (not even great) shooting he's mediocre. If you want the Pacers to continue to be a team stuck in neutral for the next 4-5 years, go for it. I'd much rather rebuild the championship way - through the draft and free agency.

We don't have any draft picks and no FAs want to sign here (not that we have the cap space to sign them, anyway).

tdubb03
05-11-2007, 12:10 AM
I'd much rather rebuild the championship way - through the draft and free agency.

This is the NBA, not the NFL.

CableKC
05-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Given that there isn't much that we can give the Mavs that does not include any of our core players ( which happen to have trade value )......I have zero confidence in the negotiating skills of the Pacers Management to swing any deal that would land Terry....much less any decent PG ( from any team ) that will make a difference.

Y2J
05-11-2007, 01:29 AM
We don't have any draft picks and no FAs want to sign here (not that we have the cap space to sign them, anyway).

This offseason is about moving J.O. and trying to move some of our overpaid mediocre talent for shorter contracts. We have all future 1sts, thats whats important. Top-5 picks land MAJOR TALENT more often than not. And as for free agents, believe me, if you pay them right, NBA players will go anywhere. Just look at Utah (Boozer, Memo).

This is the NBA, not the NFL.

That's how it's done, more often than not. Sure, the little pieces are acquired in all sorts of ways, but the big pieces almost always come via the draft or free agency, usually the draft.

Heat....
Wade - Drafted
Shaq - Traded For (using previously drafted Butler and signed Odom)

Spurs...
Duncan - Drafted
Manu - Drafted
Parker - Drafted

Lakers....
Kobe - Drafted (via draft night trade)
Shaq - Free Agent Signing

Bulls....
Jordan - Drafted
Pippen - Drafted (via draft night trade)

Rockets....
Hakeem - Drafted

Pistons....
Isiah - Drafted
Dumars - Drafted
Rodman - Drafted

Lakers....
Magic - Drafted
Worthy - Drafted

Celtics....
Bird - Drafted
McHale - Drafted

Trader Joe
05-11-2007, 02:26 AM

I'm the only one that thinks that deal looks pretty crappy at this point? I would love to have Cro's 8 million expring and I DESPISED Cro while he was here.

Unclebuck
05-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Perhaps I'm over-valuing Terry, or perhaps I think the Mavs over value him - but every trade proposal I've read in this thread would be laughed at by the Mavs front office people. Terry is the third most important player on the Mavs - they won't trade him unless they get real value in return

Naptown_Seth
05-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Terry is one of my favorite players and I would love to get him, but do we have anything they want?
Well we already gave them Croshere and AJ, so I'm guessing we don't. ;)

Seriously I don't see how this deal could happen.

Naptown_Seth
05-11-2007, 08:11 AM
This offseason is about moving J.O. and trying to move some of our overpaid mediocre talent for shorter contracts. We have all future 1sts, thats whats important. Top-5 picks land MAJOR TALENT more often than not. And as for free agents, believe me, if you pay them right, NBA players will go anywhere. Just look at Utah (Boozer, Memo).

That's how it's done, more often than not. Sure, the little pieces are acquired in all sorts of ways, but the big pieces almost always come via the draft or free agency, usually the draft.

Heat....
Wade - Drafted
Shaq - Traded For (using previously drafted Butler and signed Odom)

Spurs...
Duncan - Drafted
Manu - Drafted
Parker - Drafted

Lakers....
Kobe - Drafted (via draft night trade)
Shaq - Free Agent Signing

Bulls....
Jordan - Drafted
Pippen - Drafted (via draft night trade)

Rockets....
Hakeem - Drafted

Pistons....
Isiah - Drafted
Dumars - Drafted
Rodman - Drafted

Lakers....
Magic - Drafted
Worthy - Drafted

Celtics....
Bird - Drafted
McHale - Drafted
Let's take out the 80's teams first...and BTW you didn't mention the Sixers getting Malone and Dr. J, neither from the draft.

Then you mention the first Pistons but not the current TRADE based Pistons. There's this team called the Warriors making big noise right now.

And lumping FA in with the draft makes no sense. FAs are a lot more rare than draft picks and the Pacers are in no position to sign any high caliber FAs.

Suns - its all about Nash
Utah - Boozer, Okur are well outside the range of what Indy could pay
Nets - um, how did Kidd and Carter get on that team
Heat - his name is Shaq IIRC...and just about everyone but Wade came via non-draft methods
Chicago - lots of drafting, but also Ben and plenty of trading for picks/prospects too
Clippers - made a run last year with key guys like Cassell and Brand after years of flopping via the draft

The list of teams that got better with draft picks looks no longer than the list of teams that flopped with draft picks, or did I miss where Boston was back on top lately?

Y2J
05-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Let's take out the 80's teams first...and BTW you didn't mention the Sixers getting Malone and Dr. J, neither from the draft.

I went back 21 years. You do realize prior to 1985 there was no draft lottery and prior to 1984 there was no salary cap, right? Those are two rather big factors in this whole debate, particularly the salary cap.

Do you know how many championship teams of the past 21 years landed their best player via a trade? 0.

Do you know how many championship teams of the past 21 years landed their best player via the draft? 17. That's 81%. Yeah, I'd say that's the vast majority. (The other 4 came via free agency; Shaq 3 times with the Lakers, Billups with the Pistons)

2006 Miami Heat - Dwyane Wade
2005 San Antonio Spurs - Tim Duncan
2004 Detroit Pistons - Chauncey Billups
2003 San Antonio Spurs - Tim Duncan
2002 Los Angeles Lakers - Shaquille O'Neal
2001 Los Angeles Lakers - Shaquille O'Neal
2000 Los Angeles Lakers - Shaquille O'Neal
1999 San Antonio Spurs - Tim Duncan
1998 Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan
1997 Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan
1996 Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan
1995 Houston Rockets - Hakeem Olajuwon
1994 Houston Rockets - Hakeem Olajuwon
1993 Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan
1992 Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan
1991 Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan
1990 Detroit Pistons - Isiah Thomas
1989 Detroit Pistons - Isiah Thomas
1988 Los Angeles Lakers - Magic Johnson
1987 Los Angeles Lakers - Magic Johnson
1986 Boston Celtics - Larry Bird

Then you mention the first Pistons but not the current TRADE based Pistons. There's this team called the Warriors making big noise right now.

The 2004 Pistons are the only non-Shaq lead team of the past 21 years to not get their best player via the draft. A great job by Joe Dumars to turn a bunch of castoffs into a team of hustlers with great chemistry. Even then, their best player came via free agency (Billups).

As for the Warriors, they're irrelevant. One big upset, bravo. Other than that, they're a middle of the pack NBA team that's about to be swept out of the playoffs. A foot note in the history of the NBA. And for the record, 3 of their 5 best players came via the draft.

And lumping FA in with the draft makes no sense.

Not really. Both are key factors to rebuilding, which is primarily what's being discussed, no?

FAs are a lot more rare than draft picks and the Pacers are in no position to sign any high caliber FAs.

High quality free agents change teams every year. And with the right moves, the Pacers could have a ton of caproom as early as next offseason. Moving J.O. for a good young player/draft pick and expiring in itself would knock us to approx. $7M below the cap. Move any one of Tinsley, Foster, Quis, Murphy, or Dunleavy for an expiring, and just like that we've got enough cash to sign a max free agent.

Suns - its all about Nash
Utah - Boozer, Okur are well outside the range of what Indy could pay
Nets - um, how did Kidd and Carter get on that team
Heat - his name is Shaq IIRC...and just about everyone but Wade came via non-draft methods
Chicago - lots of drafting, but also Ben and plenty of trading for picks/prospects too
Clippers - made a run last year with key guys like Cassell and Brand after years of flopping via the draft

The list of teams that got better with draft picks looks no longer than the list of teams that flopped with draft picks, or did I miss where Boston was back on top lately?

The vast majority of teams become contenders via the draft and free agency and you helped back up my claim.

I've already listed past 21 NBA champions and how the draft brought on 17 of those teams success. Now I'll list the current top NBA teams and prove that once again, the vast majority of these teams success came via the draft and, and to a lesser extent, free agency....

Current Top NBA Teams.....

PHOENIX SUNS
Top-5 Players: Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, Leandro Barbosa
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: Steve Nash, Raja Bell
Key Players Brought In Via Trade: None
Summary: I wouldn't say it's all about Nash. Sure he's their best player, but I wouldn't exactly say All-NBA 1st Teamer Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion are chopped liver, would you? Oh by the way, both of those guys were picked up via the draft. Nash himself was a free agent signing. Phoenix has been ran beautifully over the past 15 years. I wish the Pacers would replicate what Phoenix has done, but Larry Bird's track record is horrible thus far. - MADE BY THE DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY

UTAH JAZZ
Top-5 Players: Carlos Boozer, Memo Okur, Deron Williams, Andrei Kirilenko, ???
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: Andrei Kirilenko, Deron Williams
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: Carlos Boozer, Memo Okur
Summary: Free Agency and the Draft have brought Utah by far their 4 best players. Trading has brought them nothing truly worthwhile, I didn't even bother listing their 5th best players because the Jazz live and die by their big 4. - MADE BY THE DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY

SAN ANTONIO SPURS
Top-5 Players: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley
Summary: The 3-time NBA champions were made entirely in the draft. It's not even debatable. Their 3 best players by far all come via the draft and not a single one of their top-5 came via a trade. - MADE ENTIRELY BY THE DRAFT

DALLAS MAVERICKS
Top-5 Players: Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, Devin Harris
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Devin Harris
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: Jason Terry
Key Players Brought In Via Trade: Jerry Stackhouse
Summary: The Mavs were made in the draft. Dirk and J-Ho are heads and shoulders above everyone else on the team. Their 3rd best player, Jason Terry, came via free agency. Only Stackhouse, an easily replacable 6th man, came via a trade. - MADE ENTIRELY BY THE DRAFT

DETROIT PISTONS
Top-5 Players: Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, Chris Webber
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: Tayshaun Prince
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: Chauncey Billups, Chris Webber
Key Players Brought In Via Trade: Rip Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace
Summary: The most varied team when it comes to how they acquired their talent. They've gotten significant contributors every way possible. - TOSS UP

MIAMI HEAT
Top-5 Players: Dwyane Wade, Shaquille O'Neal, Udonis Haslem, James Posey, Jason Williams
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: Dwyane Wade
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: Udonis Haslem
Key Players Brought In Via Trade: Shaquille O'Neal, Jason Williams, James Posey
Summary: This is a two man team. Nobody matters except Wade & Shaq. - MADE BY THE DRAFT AND ONE BIG TRADE

CHICAGO BULLS
Top-5 Players: Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Ben Wallace, Andres Nocionni
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Andres Nocionni
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: Ben Wallace
Summary: Another team that was made almost entirely through the draft. As soon as someone stepped in who had a plan and could draft, they turned it around in a hurry. - MADE ALMOST ENTIRELY BY THE DRAFT

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS
Top-5 Players: LeBron James, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Larry Hughes, Anderson Varejao, Drew Gooden
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: LeBron James, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Anderson Varejao
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: Larry Hughes
Key Players Brought In Via Trade: Drew Gooden
Summary: LeBron. That's all that needs to be said here. - MADE BY THE DRAFT

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Top-5 Players: Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Andris Biedrins, Monta Ellis, Stephen Jackson
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: Jason Richardson, Andris Biedrins, Monta Ellis
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: None
Key Players Brought In Via Trade: Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson
Summary: One of only 2 teams whose best player came via a trade, and neither of those teams are legit contenders. Their next 3 best players all came via the draft. - MADE BY TRADES AND THE DRAFT

NEW JERSEY NETS
Top-5 Players: Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson, Nenad Krstic, ???
Key Players Brought In Via Draft: Richard Jefferson, Nenad Krstic
Key Players Brought In Via Free Agency: None
Key Players Brought In Via Trade: Jason Kidd, Vince Carter
Summary: Do the Nets have a 5th best player? Anyways, their 2 best players came via trades, no denying that. However they're also probably the worst team remaining and are on the verge of being swept by LeBron, so who really cares about the Nets? They picked up their They did pickup their All-Star SF Richard Jefferson, through the draft though. - MADE BY TRADES AND THE DRAFT

The Clippers? They've won a grand total of 1 playoff series in 31 years and were back in the lottery this year. I have no idea what you listing them is trying to prove.

It's not unanimous, but a vast majority of the best teams currently in the NBA were made via the NBA draft, with free agency also playing a fairly big part in things. Trades play little factor for the most part, usually only consisting of easily exchangeable role players. Only the Nets and Warriors, two non-contenders, picked up their best player via a trade. It's pretty much a common fact that, outside of Shaq's voyage to the Lakers in '96 and the 2004 Pistons, mordern day championships start with the NBA draft. It makes sense really. If you have a championship-caliber player, why would you trade them in the first place? Easy answer - you don't. That's why about the only way to land such a player is to draft them. Are the Spurs trading Duncan? Are the Heat trading Wade? Did the Bulls trade Jordan? Did the Rockets trade Hakeem? (ok they did prior to his final season, once he was a shell of his former self) Did the Lakers trade Magic? Did the Celtics trade Bird?

A complete rebuild, some good drafting, and patience is most likely the only way the Pacers can return to contendership in the future. It may not bring us the much desired NBA Championship, but there's a great chance it'd bring us an exicitng, fun team that could be molded into a top contender for a decade or more, if done right (like the Bulls). As of now we simply don't have the talent level nor a way to achieve the talent level to compete, barring some unpredictable fluke. And of the 10 teams that finished with a worst record than us, I'd argue that most are in better shape than us for the foreseeable future, and thats because most have committed to rebuilding the past few seasons and thus are stacked with nice young talent from the draft that are potential future great players, but also have capspace to improve their teams even more.

Atlanta has some very good young players and could have a top-3 pick in this years top-heavy draft to add to the mix.
Boston has much better young talent, an All-Star better than our All-Star, and a great shot at Oden or Durant, or worst case scenario a top-5 pick to add to the mix.
Charlotte has better talent than us and a lottery pick this year and a ton of capspace.
Milwaukee is on the verge of being stacked with talent. Redd, Villenueva, Bogut, Top-3 pick (50%+ of top-3 picks end up NBA All-Stars), and a lot of capspace.
Portland is absolutely loaded for the future. Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Zach Randolph, Martell Webster, Jarrett Jack, Sergio Rodriguez, Travis Outlaw....and another lottery pick this year. Wow.

Minnesota, New York, Sacramento, Seattle, and Memphis are all toss-ups...but here's the catch....all of those teams have first rounders this year. All but the Knicks pick (via Chicago) are in the lottery. We don't have that. So yeah, all of those will likely be back in the playoffs before we are.

As of right now, unless a commitment to rebuilding is made and some of our horrible contracts are shed, we probably have the dimmest future in the league. Trying to trade for more overpaid vets (like Jason Terry) is only gonna make matters worse.

I have no idea where this label that rebuilding through the draft is some horrible, evil thing that never works, but it's ridiculous and completely untrue.

naptownmenace
05-11-2007, 04:13 PM
I wanted JT back when we were trading for Jackson, and I'd still love to have him now.

Ditto. I was begging TPTB to trade Al or a package deal featuring Tinsley for Terry. Back then the overwhelming majority said that Tinsley was the better PG. LOL

QuickRelease
05-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Hard to do when you give away your draft picks and trade until you're loaded up with mediocre players with star contracts. :rolleyes:

Y2J
05-12-2007, 09:44 PM
This year's is the only 1st rounder we don't have. And although we have big contracts, we're 2 reasonable moves away from having enough capspace to sign a max contract.

Evan_The_Dude
05-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Jason Terry isn't going to solve our point guard issues. We need to be bold and call some teams to see what it's going to take to land one of the leagues better point guards. Before we can know how were going to make ourselves better, we have to know how other teams want to make themselves better first. Then we can see if we have a piece to someone else's puzzle on our roster.

sig
05-13-2007, 07:59 PM
The Mavs traded Daniels for Cro to get out from under his contract. Cro is now off books unless they choose to do a sign and trade with him. what's the odds of that? I always liked Daniels in Dallas but his season with the Pacers is no different than what he did for the Mavs. He was always injured and only produced consistently in a couple of short stretches for the Mavs. Going to the Pacers was to be his big chance to start at SG but inconsistency and injuries led to another disappointing season from him. I hope Daniels gets it together. He is athletic and has potential but IMO, the best Daniels will ever be is a top notch 6th man who can play 3 positions.

I pretty much have seen all of Terry's games as a Mav. I agree that Terry is more of a SG than a PG. He won't turn the ball over much. He shoots a lot of 3's and is at 40% from the arc. That's fairly good, IMO. Aside from the GS series, he's usually very clutch too. He will take big shots and make them. His defense is less than average especially at SG. His contract is not that bad. He rarely misses games. I would venture to say he will solidly produce until that contract expires. He seems to need the ball in his hands to be effective as a shooter and isn't the best distributor in a half court offense but is very good in the open court though. That is why Dallas is looking to move him. Harris has really supplanted him as the PG and the Mavs probably want a bigger full time SG. That may be Ager, a new addition or both. I doubt the Mavs will dump Terry like they did Quis. Quis really didn't have a role in Dallas. He will fill a very good role off the bench as a combo PG/SG off the bench bringing energy and shooting into the game. If I were the Pacers, I'd try for Bibby but i'd much rather have Terry than Tinsley.

beast23
05-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Same here.

I wanted him the year before he became a free agent, when it was rumored he was available for trade. And I wanted the Pacers to make a sign-an-trade deal for him whenhe became available as a free agent. And, I'd take him now.

I'd use him just as 'Buck has suggested... pairing him with Daniels. That would imrove the quickness in our backcourt immensely, as well as the abilityto stop dribble penetration, while also adding scoring. Adding a player like JT is a no-brainer.

As for Croshere, he and his wife are near completion of a substantial upgrade to their home on Geist, which they apparently plan to retain as their primary residence. I wouldn't be surprised if Croshere seeks a contract with the Pacers this summer.