PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle in the ESPN studio tonight

Shade
05-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Might be some interesting tidbits.

Shade
05-10-2007, 08:00 PM
If nothing else, you can't say that Rick hasn't been classy.

And he looks about a million times happier right now than he has in a while.

Unclebuck
05-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Did anyone else see Rick sort of laugh when SAS started doing his thing

Tom White
05-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Did anyone else see Rick sort of laugh when SAS started doing his thing

The first thing that went through my mind when I saw the studio set-up was things keep getting worse for Carlisle. First, he loses his coaching job, now he has to sit next to Smith and listen to his stuff.

Carlisle is going to need a bunch of aspirin by the end of this show from listening to Smith.

Jermaniac
05-10-2007, 08:08 PM
lmao 3 of yall posted this.

Damn it feels good that it doesnt say Pacers coach when he appears on TV.

Shade
05-10-2007, 08:13 PM
lmao 3 of yall posted this.

Damn it feels good that it doesnt say Pacers coach when he appears on TV.

But I was first. :D

Jermaniac
05-10-2007, 08:18 PM
No you were not. I made a post about it in the playoffs thread I didnt think it was worth its own thread. I win :)

ajbry
05-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Rick is a good dude, and he's actually pretty decent at this.

Shade
05-10-2007, 08:27 PM
No you were not. I made a post about it in the playoffs thread I didnt think it was worth its own thread. I win :)

That doesn't count. Nobody reads the playoffs thread... :innocent:

Fine. Here's your cookie. :cookie: :)

Good piece there on Zo and shotblocking. I'll have to give that a try next time I play.

indyman37
05-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Rick is a good dude, and he's actually pretty decent at this.
I may be wrong, but wasn't he a broadcaster for like the Sonics before he became a coach?

Jermaniac
05-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah Rick should stick to broadcasting

ajbry
05-10-2007, 08:34 PM
This is some good ****, ESPN needs to stick with something like this because TNT just blows them away otherwise.

tdubb03
05-10-2007, 08:50 PM
The looks on Rick's face every time SAS opens his mouth makes me laugh.

indyman37
05-10-2007, 08:54 PM
classy...RC congradulating Doc on the extension, "he's been through a rough season."

MagicRat
05-10-2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007705100450

Rick Carlisle: Would you like a cue card, coach?

You haven't seen the last of former Indiana Pacers coach Rick Carlisle.

Carlisle's quirky personality and cerebral knowledge will be on display as he serves as an in-studio pregame analyst for ESPN tonight and Friday.
This won't be the first time Carlisle is offering his vast X's and O's insight in front of television cameras. Carlisle spent a season as a broadcast analyst for the Seattle Sonics in 2000-01.

No word on whether Carlisle will break out his trusty card full of plays to show how to break down an opponent.

-- Mike Wells

Moses
05-10-2007, 09:41 PM
classy...RC congradulating Doc on the extension, "he's been through a rough season."
Wait, Doc Rivers got an extension?

Bill Simmons is officially on suicide watch.

Shade
05-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Wait, Doc Rivers got an extension?

Bill Simmons is officially on suicide watch.

I'll join him if we end up with Sam Mitchell.

Naptown_Seth
05-11-2007, 08:19 AM
I'll join him if we end up with Sam Mitchell.
You want to win don't you?

(well the lottery is something the Pacers could win next year, right, doesn't that count ;) )

(ps - Sam might work out, you never know)

Unclebuck
05-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Rick did a pretty good job, but ESPN should have brought him back for halftime. Where is Legler

Since86
05-11-2007, 01:28 PM
You want to win don't you?

(well the lottery is something the Pacers could win next year, right, doesn't that count ;) )

(ps - Sam might work out, you never know)

Outside of this season, what has Mitchell's track record been?

His career record is 107-139, which is an amazing .435 winning %. Big deal he won coach of the year, so did Rick and the thinking here is that he's a god awful coach.

Rick's career record is 281-211, for a .571 winning %, and has 3 division championships in 6 years.

By all accounts, Sam is a prick who thinks trying to fight his players is a good way to discipline. Jamaal couldn't handle Rick, I'd bet Sam would make him cry.

Hicks
05-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Jamaal couldn't handle Rick, I'd bet Sam would make him cry.

In that case, sign him! :D

Unclebuck
05-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Rick is back tonight

For some reason I just remembered, that Rick had signed a contract with ESPN right before the Pacers hired him in late August 2003.

Sadly SAS is in the studio again. But they moved him away from Rick

ajbry
05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Once again it's evident that Rick loved Jack, nothing but praise for him when they were talking about him and Al.

And I really like Rick as part of the generally lackluster ESPN crew, he did a nice job last night and should do the same tonight.

Kstat
05-11-2007, 08:23 PM
One thing Carlisle has going for him is that he has a genuine love for the game of basketball. He clearly enjoys breaking things down.

That said, he still comes off very dry and distant. Gotta work on his charisma.

pwee31
05-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Did anyone hear what was said about JO? I'm sure it was something that had to do with the trade rumors.

Unclebuck
05-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Did anyone hear what was said about JO? I'm sure it was something that had to do with the trade rumors.

I listened to SAS and I must admit I have no idea what he said.

ajbry
05-11-2007, 08:38 PM
All Screamin A. Smith said was some old stuff about Isiah's days with the Pacers and how JO was less than pleased when Isiah was fired. Went on to say the Knicks would be the more feasible option than the Lakers.

LoneGranger33
05-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I love Doc Rivers. I don't care. That guy right there is a good man.

pwee31
05-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info fellas

Naptown_Seth
05-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Outside of this season, what has Mitchell's track record been?

His career record is 107-139, which is an amazing .435 winning %. Big deal he won coach of the year, so did Rick and the thinking here is that he's a god awful coach.

Rick's career record is 281-211, for a .571 winning %, and has 3 division championships in 6 years.

By all accounts, Sam is a prick who thinks trying to fight his players is a good way to discipline. Jamaal couldn't handle Rick, I'd bet Sam would make him cry.
You do know that's what I was saying with the post you quoted, right? Just checking, couldn't tell what your tone was (rebuttle or agreed).

But being reasonable I do leave the door open that you never can tell.

(edit - I think I misread you too, you might have been saying that RC was a good coach and just pointing out that Pacers fans are quick to dismiss Rick and his COY but to then embrace Sam and his win...so probably the following doesn't apply to you at all :blush: )

However, Rick is not a bad coach and if fans think that then they are confused by the definition of bad coach. WIN GAMES, that's it. Win them with guys other coaches don't win with moreso. People forget that he took a dud Pistons team and made them a 50 win team instantly, no roster bumps. Then he added 13 wins to a Pacers team that lost it's AS center.

For all the talk about "he loses players, people don't like him, etc" I say this - WHO GIVES A ****. The guy won games and kept it above .500 till after the trade this year.

I mean he's got 3 division titles, 2 2nd round teams, 2 ECF teams and 5 of 6 on playoff appearances. If that's bad then what's good, Phil with the Bulls?

Toronto players didn't like Sam either his first 2 years, like Vince. But unlike Rick's teams they didn't win games.

BTW, Rick didn't just win COY, he also put together 3 other top 5 finishes IIRC.

I will concede that he's gone, doesn't matter anymore and that maybe it was even just time to go (maybe) so the debate is effectively over, but as I always say, "Scoreboard talks, opinions walk". The guy has been a very winning coach over 6 years. He's just not going to be doing it for the Pacers anymore.

McKeyFan
05-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Agreed.

If JO and Jamaal are traded, part of me will wonder what might have been if Rick were given a fresh slate.

Naptown_Seth
05-13-2007, 01:38 AM
Agreed.

If JO and Jamaal are traded, part of me will wonder what might have been if Rick were given a fresh slate.
Here's what's messed up about that in fact. "Tune you out after 3 years"...well who the hell has been on this team 3 years if you move those 2 players? Foster, and I'm pretty certain Foster has never shown the slightest hint of tuning anyone out.

Rick frankly didn't even get enough time to lose players, especially Dun, Murph, Ike and McLeod.

"Hi, I'm Coach Carli..."
"And ya lost me.

Honestly I think we are seeing signs that the team is now REACTIVE rather than PROACTIVE. In other words, no vision, just trying to put out PR fires and placate fans.

Now, OTOH, if they keep JO and Tins and utilize the new coach as a way to adjust their games (and maybe JT's attitude) as part of a vision of how they want THESE guys to play with those 2 as the centerpieces, then I 100% understand the vision of why Rick had to go.

Otherwise it just seems like movement for the sake of movement. Move RC to get it fresh even though he does get results, but then move the players that didn't like him too. Maybe chase after a draft pick, maybe not. And so on.

If there is a vision and a plan it sure doesn't feel obvious to me. I rant more on Rick and the GS deal because of that reason than for any other.

Look, I LOVED Detlef and he remains my 2nd fav Pacer still, but when they dealt him I saw the plan and bought into that direction (defense, dirty work guy needed). Then they traded my fav Pacer, Jackson, and I bought into that too because I saw what Rose was and what they had in mind for him (till Brown got tired of that plan and gave up on it and Rose).

I can deal with losing a coach I like and certainly with losing players I just think are okay. But GD, at least make me feel like there was a good reason to it in terms of the next stage, rather than just ending this stage for the sake of ending it.

pwee31
05-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Here's what's messed up about that in fact. "Tune you out after 3 years"...well who the hell has been on this team 3 years if you move those 2 players? Foster, and I'm pretty certain Foster has never shown the slightest hint of tuning anyone out.

Rick frankly didn't even get enough time to lose players, especially Dun, Murph, Ike and McLeod.

"Hi, I'm Coach Carli..."
"And ya lost me.

Honestly I think we are seeing signs that the team is now REACTIVE rather than PROACTIVE. In other words, no vision, just trying to put out PR fires and placate fans.

Now, OTOH, if they keep JO and Tins and utilize the new coach as a way to adjust their games (and maybe JT's attitude) as part of a vision of how they want THESE guys to play with those 2 as the centerpieces, then I 100% understand the vision of why Rick had to go.

Otherwise it just seems like movement for the sake of movement. Move RC to get it fresh even though he does get results, but then move the players that didn't like him too. Maybe chase after a draft pick, maybe not. And so on.

If there is a vision and a plan it sure doesn't feel obvious to me. I rant more on Rick and the GS deal because of that reason than for any other.

Look, I LOVED Detlef and he remains my 2nd fav Pacer still, but when they dealt him I saw the plan and bought into that direction (defense, dirty work guy needed). Then they traded my fav Pacer, Jackson, and I bought into that too because I saw what Rose was and what they had in mind for him (till Brown got tired of that plan and gave up on it and Rose).

I can deal with losing a coach I like and certainly with losing players I just think are okay. But GD, at least make me feel like there was a good reason to it in terms of the next stage, rather than just ending this stage for the sake of ending it.

:applaud: Bravo