PDA

View Full Version : Bird's High Times with Mellencamp

Cornrows
05-09-2007, 10:56 PM
This True Hoop post (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-24-44/Backstage-Legends.html) mentions a John Mellencamp interview where Johnny mentions enjoying a "smoke" with Bird and McHale back in the Celtics glory days. Here it is:

What do you like more, Indy racing or basketball?
stephen.persa, Burlington, VT
Well, my wife was the first female to drive the Indianapolis 500 pace car, which is pretty neat ó particularly when you know that she canít drive. But Iíd definitely say basketball. Iíve known Larry Bird since we were kids. When he was on the Celtics and I was playing in Boston, he and Kevin McHale would come to my dressing room after the show and smoke me under the table.

Trader Joe
05-09-2007, 11:19 PM
So maybe it was Bird's stash at Club Rio?

Jermaniac
05-09-2007, 11:22 PM
OMG THUG. He must blaze up the sticky before the games with Jamaal.

That must be wtf he was doing when he made that trade with the Warriors.

Cornrows
05-09-2007, 11:33 PM
This might explain a few moves over the past couple of years.

LG33
05-10-2007, 12:06 AM
That finally explains the "I'll never give up on that young man" comment. Weed, man, yeah.

Jermaniac
05-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Bird was hitting that Amsterdam purp while he was scouting Sarunas, thats why that worked out so bad.

lonestar
05-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Mellencamp and Bird are both notorious chain smokers. I'm sure that's what he was referring to. Now, have they both found their way into Peter Tosh's private reserve? Probably. Who really cares?

colonialspacers
05-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it was all about cigarettes. Riiight. lol.

MagicRat
05-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it was all about cigarettes. Riiight. lol.

I would guess he meant tobacco, also. And I'm sure Donnie could out-smoke any of them........

Do you still smoke in the shower?
lonnie.l.russell, Brooklyn
Yeah. I used to be a terrible smoker ó three or four packs a day. Iíve cut down to about one. I got checked out about a month ago, and the doctor said, ďFor a guy whoís smoked for 30 years, you sure canít tell by your lungs.Ē But I run every day, lift weights ó all that crap.

colonialspacers
05-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Well, if someone says "smoke under the table" in today's college lingo, it sure as hell doesn't have much to do with cigarettes. However, I do concede that there could be a generational misunderstanding between JCM and myself here!

MagicRat
05-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I read it as him thinking it's pretty funny that pro athletes smoked more than he did.

Then again, I'm old.......

RWB
05-10-2007, 09:44 AM
We're talking cigars here gentlemen, a habit picked up from Red.

Bball
05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
When I read this, and knowing of Mellencamps's chain smoking history, I didn't think about weed in this context.

As a matter of fact... I'm not so sure a mod shouldn't edit the thread title.

-Bball

ChicagoJ
05-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Speaking only for one admin, I don't care about the title, because the quote is ambiguous, IMO. If you want to think he's talking about pot, go ahead.

I don't think that's what he's saying - as noted above JM was a notorious chain smoker and that's how I interpreted the comment. Maybe I've been living under a rock but I'm not convinced JM was a pothead like Tom Petty was/ is anyway.

RWB
05-10-2007, 10:25 AM
One thing known around Terre Haute while Bird was in college was his ability to put away the beers. No doubt he could drink the part time Cougar under the table.

Mellencamp had a girlfriend at ISU in the mid 70s. He could be found in her residence hall many a time playing a guitar by himself in a stairwell because he liked the sound.

Naptown_Seth
05-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Well, if someone says "smoke under the table" in today's college lingo, it sure as hell doesn't have much to do with cigarettes. However, I do concede that there could be a generational misunderstanding between JCM and myself here!
Um, who has EVER said "smoke me under the table" in terms of cigarettes? At least in the sense of partying and having a good time together after the show.

I've known tons of smokers who enjoy a good cigarette. None of them have ever referred to it as "smoking someone under the table". Typically that is exclusive for drinking or pot.

You don't go get a pack and say "let's smoke the hell outta these" or play 3 Man or Quarters with cigs either. You just don't refer to it or discuss it in anything like that context...unless someone had been talking about it already as in their athletic ability despite smoking followed by a question like "you mean Bird smoked cigarettes?"

In this case it wasn't brought up like that at all.

Since Chief was busted with a ton of pot himself I don't think it's a stretch to believe that Bird and KMac did too. Or is that a B&W thing? Sure Parrish was doing it but no way Bird hanging out with a rock star post-show was.

However it is funny to see stuff defended if it's Bird. If that was Luda talking about Tins and JO they'd be under the bus already around here.

Can we just have fair judgement on personal behavior, is fair now too much to ask for?

BTW, I'm closer to Bird's age than today's college kids and I assure you that it meant pot back then too. I mean who thinks college kids in the 70's didn't smoke pot? Come on.

Elgin56
05-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Bird was a great player and that is where my admiration for him ends. His treatment of his biological dauther tells me that he is not a man of honor. Being a legend doesn't excuse his many faults as a human being.

FlavaDave
05-10-2007, 12:01 PM
This is obviously about pot, and I agree with Seth that it's weird that some grasp at straws to defend Bird here while others (not the same people I think) laugh at the notion that the pot in Jamaal's car wasn't his.

Hicks
05-10-2007, 12:10 PM
When has there every been a hint that Larry Bird uses weed? Before bringing up a larger argument, you guys might want to think about that.

RWB
05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Difference here is there was a Police Report that said pot was found in Jamaal's car Flava.

I am not a Bird supporter in the least. It would make me so happy that the man was canned and as Elgin points out my disdain for Bird and the way he treated his daughter should be well known on here.

How many joints does it take to get high? One, two, maybe it takes 3 joints to get really high? We're not talking how many beers you have to chug to get a good buzz.

Or we can go the opposite and say Bird and Mellencamp must have been really lame for buying such low quality weed.

Trader Joe
05-10-2007, 12:43 PM
When has there every been a hint that Larry Bird uses weed? Before bringing up a larger argument, you guys might want to think about that.

Larry Bird grew up in the 70s. He was a popular athlete hanging out with a rockstar after the show. You honestly think Mellencamp would bring this up if it involved cigarettes? Cigarettes and chain smoking were an every day occurence for him why would he have such a fond memory about something he did everyday anyway? This is about weed. I know it may shake some people to the core to even consider the thought that the Great White Hope smoked some pot in his day, but it doesn't surprise me.

I agree with Seth also. With the way Tins has been thrown under the bus around here as a notorious pot smoker with lets be honest, very little evidence. Now we have a first hand account from Mellencamp saying Bird would "smoke him under the table" and suddenly that doesn't refer to weed? Since when? I think you guys who are so quick to jump to Bird's defense on this, but are willing to throw Tins under the bus need to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Trader Joe
05-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Difference here is there was a Police Report that said pot was found in Jamaal's car Flava.

I am not a Bird supporter in the least. It would make me so happy that the man was canned and as Elgin points out my disdain for Bird and the way he treated his daughter should be well known on here.

How many joints does it take to get high? One, two, maybe it takes 3 joints to get really high? We're not talking how many beers you have to chug to get a good buzz.

Or we can go the opposite and say Bird and Mellencamp must have been really lame for buying such low quality weed.

Marijuana, like alcohol, builds tolerance in the user. I know from living with a college roomate who smoked like it was job (while still pulling a 4.0 I might add in Kelley, go figure...) He could smoke joint after joint or bowl after bowl and still be pretty much sober as judge while just about everyone around him would pretty much be waaaay gone. I never partook myself, but I was always around. Users build tolerance to marijuana very quickly as well much quicker than one does for alcohol which is one of the reasons it has been labeled a gateway drug. The need for those who have developed a very high tolerance, very quickly to get that high back.

RWB
05-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Marijuana, like alcohol, builds tolerance in the user. I know from living with a college roomate who smoked like it was job (while still pulling a 4.0 I might add in Kelley, go figure...) He could smoke joint after joint or bowl after bowl and still be pretty much sober as judge while just about everyone around him would pretty much be waaaay gone. I never partook myself, but I was always around. Users build tolerance to marijuana very quickly as well much quicker than one does for alcohol which is one of the reasons it has been labeled a gateway drug. The need for those who have developed a very high tolerance, very quickly to get that high back.

That still tells me that Bird and Mellencamp must have bought or were given crappy weed. Maybe they were supporting Indiana by smoking Hoosier Homegrown dirt weed?

P.S. For those not aware, Bird did have a specialized Cigar Shop at his hotel (yes Bird owned a Hotel) called the Boston Connection. This was next to the bar/lounge area where you could see his Gold Medal and one of his Celtic championship rings.

ChicagoJ
05-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Pretty sure that marijuana was one of the drugs the NBA tested for back then.

Coming off the cocaine-fueled NBA of the 1970s, I do have a hard time believing NBA players were using drugs in the 80s.

Now, as the NBPA has successfully negotiated less-stringent testing and rules over the past couple of negotiations, I wouldn't be surprised now if you told me that 75% of the league (regardless of race) was smoking dope.

Jermaniac
05-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Because Jamaal Tinsley is a black male from the ghetto, its 110% that the weed is his, and he also uses cocaine (according to Peck). But since its the Hick From French Lic or whatever the hell they call him its cigaretes. Its starting to get funny to me.

Since86
05-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Why in the world would he say that, if he was talking about pot?

It's not something you go around talking about doing yourself, especially during an interview, but it's a whole nother story when you mention smoking with two other famous people. He wouldn't just throw them under the bus.

Also, if everyone thought he was talking about pot, then I bet there would be a a little more media attention.

Believe what you want, obviously seeing how there's some that think we've never landed on the moon or that 9/11 was fake, but he's talking about cigars.

EDIT: Race has nothing to do with this either.

Hicks
05-10-2007, 01:47 PM

It's not something you go around talking about doing yourself, especially during an interview, but it's a whole nother story when you mention smoking with two other famous people. He wouldn't just throw them under the bus.

Also, if everyone thought he was talking about pot, then I bet there would be a a little more media attention.

Believe what you want, obviously seeing how there's some that think we've never landed on the moon or that 9/11 was fake, but he's talking about cigars.

I agree with you. Look, I'll throw this out there: Larry Bird was my first basketball idol, and he was the head coach of my favorite Pacers teams ever, so that will always be there. But even with that in mind, I freely acknowledge they could have been smoking weed. And I care about as much as I care that Tinsley or whomever else might or does do it: Slim to none. The more I've read about weed the more I'm convinced it's no more harmful than alcohol, but one's legal and one isn't. So I'm not up in arms over ANYONE doing weed as long as they're not putting themselves or others in danger by driving or whatever. So that's irrelevant to me.

I think it makes more sense that it was cigars due to what others have said already, and JM was using a common phrase that may often refer to weed, but there's no law that it has to be.

If it was so "obviously" weed, the media would be all over it. Two NBA GMs doing pot, especially when one of them is one of the greatest players ever, would be at least somewhat news-worthy I think. To me personally not so much, but in general yes.

Fool
05-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Two of the worst GMs in the league smoking pot in their younger days doesn't surprise me.

If Mellencamp was a chain smoker, how would he be "smoked under the table" via cigarettes? Chain smokers light the new one on the bud of the old one. What did Bird and McHale do? Smoke 'em 3 at a time?

The comment makes 0 sense in terms of ordinary cigarette smoking.

RWB
05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
In the tradition of Mal/Hicks True/false thread.

Larry Bird was a beer drinker in his younger days?

True

Larry Bird's favorite bar was Dugan's Conversation bar?

True

Dugan's clientel was mainly old business folk and Bird's closest friends at the time Brad Miley and Mike Heaton?

True

Bird learned at an earlier age the older folks had the knowledge and power to get places so he spent more time with them than people his own age.

True. Makes me wonder how much time did he have to smoke dope since he preferred to hang with business man Max Gibson and learn how to make money on investments.

Usually pot smokers can easily be identified because of the pot seeds found in the floorboard of their vehicle.

True....

During a criminal mischief report, a Ford extended cab was searched and NO pot seeds were found in the floorboard.

True...I wonder who the owner was?

I wonder what Green basketball player during the summer when not in the gym spent as much time with his next door neighbor a member of the ISP?

RWB is really concerned Bird may have smoked weed?
False....

Robobtowncolt
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Two of the worst GMs in the league smoking pot in their younger days doesn't surprise me.

If Mellencamp was a chain smoker, how would he be "smoked under the table" via cigarettes? Chain smokers light the new one on the bud of the old one. What did Bird and McHale do? Smoke 'em 3 at a time?

The comment makes 0 sense in terms of ordinary cigarette smoking.

http://img82.exs.cx/img82/1443/smoke1.jpg

Los Angeles
05-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Even if John Mellencamp said this: "They would come to my dressing room and bring their four foot celtic green bong and bake me out with the kindest Humboldt County indica herb ever."

I would say that it matters about as much as Jessica Simpson's acne problem.

Even if it happened yesterday and not 20 years ago, I care zilch.

Fool
05-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Now that's a suicide machine. Impressive B.

FlavaDave
05-10-2007, 02:08 PM
If you drink someone under the table, what do you do? Do you drink more than them?

No, you match them drink for drink. At some point, you realize that you are wasted and your drinking partner is still in control.

That's what that phrase means.

If someone can tell me how one can get wasted on cigarettes, please let me know.

Why wouldn't the media pick up on this? Because this involves Mellencamp, Larry Bird, McHale, Blender magazine, and the past. And most of the country doesn't care about any of these things.

Also, if you don't read music magazines very much, you might not realize that just about every interview mentions drug use with names named.

The only reason we care about this is the involvement of Bird. If this was about Dr. J, this thread wouldn't exist.

Since86
05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
If someone can tell me how one can get wasted on cigarettes, please let me know.

I don't know about "wasted" but nicotine can get you a very high buzz if you don't do it alot.

I don't smoke, nor will, but I do dip. More than a few times it's hit me harder than I would have liked and has made me feel like I was gonna get sick, and that's not swallowing any of it either.

I usually do it when I drink, and it replaces some drinks.

colonialspacers
05-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Um, who has EVER said "smoke me under the table" in terms of cigarettes? At least in the sense of partying and having a good time together after the show.

I've known tons of smokers who enjoy a good cigarette. None of them have ever referred to it as "smoking someone under the table". Typically that is exclusive for drinking or pot.

You don't go get a pack and say "let's smoke the hell outta these" or play 3 Man or Quarters with cigs either. You just don't refer to it or discuss it in anything like that context...unless someone had been talking about it already as in their athletic ability despite smoking followed by a question like "you mean Bird smoked cigarettes?"

In this case it wasn't brought up like that at all.

Since Chief was busted with a ton of pot himself I don't think it's a stretch to believe that Bird and KMac did too. Or is that a B&W thing? Sure Parrish was doing it but no way Bird hanging out with a rock star post-show was.

However it is funny to see stuff defended if it's Bird. If that was Luda talking about Tins and JO they'd be under the bus already around here.

Can we just have fair judgement on personal behavior, is fair now too much to ask for?

BTW, I'm closer to Bird's age than today's college kids and I assure you that it meant pot back then too. I mean who thinks college kids in the 70's didn't smoke pot? Come on.

I tend to agree with you, as I think my post indicated.

Trader Joe
05-10-2007, 04:13 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm really finding that hard to believe from some on here.

Trader Joe
05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't know about "wasted" but nicotine can get you a very high buzz if you don't do it alot.

I don't smoke, nor will, but I do dip. More than a few times it's hit me harder than I would have liked and has made me feel like I was gonna get sick, and that's not swallowing any of it either.

I usually do it when I drink, and it replaces some drinks.

As has been said Mellencamp was a chain smoker. I bet the nicotine effect was pretty slim on him.

Also, I don't care whether Bird smoked or not. What I do care about is the difference in the way some people react to situations like this, and the only defining factor to the different opinions is the R word...

P.S. I'm not trying to stir up trouble, so please don't take that way. Just try to understand where I am coming from.

Since86
05-10-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think race is an issue in this, because pot was found in Tinsley's car. Yeah, okay someone else said it was theirs, big deal. I have friends who push, but they don't stash it in my car.

Why in the world would he bring it along, when they're going out for a night on the town, if not to smoke it? I find it hard to believe that if they were smoking in Jamaal's car before they went to the clubs, that he wouldn't/didn't partake. To me, it just doesn't make any sense.

That's why there's a bigger issue, to me, with Jamaal.

I just don't think Larry is the type of person who dopes, his race doesn't have anything to do with it, because I don't think Karl Malone does either.

I know Larry isn't squeaky clean, i.e. his relationship with his daughter, but that's exactly why I picked out Malone.

As far as the nicotine thing and Mellencamp, I know he doesn't get the same buzz that I did. He said tell him how anyone could get that way from them, and I just merely pointed out that it's possible.

I know you're not trying to make trouble, this place is designed to facilitate this type of discussion.

EDIT: I couldn't care less if the average person smokes, it's really none of my business. But I do care about athletes. Not only because they are role models, but because they're investments. Any illegal action that could stop them from doing their paid job is going to be frowned upon by me. They can smoke until kingdom comes after they retire, but it would be hard to play if they're locked up.

Trader Joe
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't think race is an issue in this, because pot was found in Tinsley's car. Yeah, okay someone else said it was theirs, big deal. I have friends who push, but they don't stash it in my car.

Why in the world would he bring it along, when they're going out for a night on the town, if not to smoke it? I find it hard to believe that if they were smoking in Jamaal's car before they went to the clubs, that he wouldn't/didn't partake. To me, it just doesn't make any sense.

That's why there's a bigger issue, to me, with Jamaal.

I just don't think Larry is the type of person who dopes, his race doesn't have anything to do with it, because I don't think Karl Malone does either.

I know Larry isn't squeaky clean, i.e. his relationship with his daughter, but that's exactly why I picked out Malone.

As far as the nicotine thing and Mellencamp, I know he doesn't get the same buzz that I did. He said tell him how anyone could get that way from them, and I just merely pointed out that it's possible.

I know you're not trying to make trouble, this place is designed to facilitate this type of discussion.

Well, I think Tins partakes, don't get me wrong there. However I think its likely that Bird did in his day as well. I don't hold it against either of them mainly because I know so many who have been good students, athletes etc. while smoking maybe two or three times a day.

Bball
05-11-2007, 10:03 PM
The next time I hear someone use the phrase "smoked me under the table" will be the first time I have ever heard it outside of the above quote.

-Bball

Young
05-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Ok first you none of you know what Larry was smoking or if he smoked. Would I be suprised if he smoked pot? Not suprised really to hear that anyone has smoked pot anymore.

And some say why Bird isn't being bashed about Jamaal Tinsley. Well they are two completely different cases. First, no one even knows that Larry smoked with JCM, let alone weed. Secondly, I would not give two ****s about Tinsley smoking pot, just don't get caught with it, and for god sake don't do anything stupid, don't get involed with anything that will bring bad publicity. That is the difference here people. Jamaal has brought bad publicity onto himself and the franchise. Larry has not.

Naptown_Seth
05-12-2007, 12:21 AM
I tend to agree with you, as I think my post indicated.
Yes, I see that. I think my tone addressed more than you so it came off as harsh in the context of what you said. I was going more for not giving people even the break of "maybe it means something different for them", though I do agree with your approach of reasoned caution that maybe somehow it's a misunderstanding. I don't think it is, but I understand why you would leave that door open.

Even if John Mellencamp said this: "They would come to my dressing room and bring their four foot celtic green bong and bake me out with the kindest Humboldt County indica herb ever."

I would say that it matters about as much as Jessica Simpson's acne problem.

Even if it happened yesterday and not 20 years ago, I care zilch.
I do agree with all of this. My only issue was the crazy rush to explain away a comment that most people would only take one way. To me it feels very much like "wait, this being true won't let me bash Tins, Jack, Quis, etc like I want to".

I think the original point was very clear, that the demonization of some of these guys and their behavior has gotten out of hand. Bird smoked it up and partied, who cares. I just happen to feel that way about Tins, Jack, Quis, JO, etc...as long as they show up to practice, put in the effort, play smart and play hard.

And yes, I agree that some of those guys have been guilty of not doing those things at times. I just don't mix my frustration with that stuff with a false sense of moral outrage over other things that are par for course with star athletes from not just this era, but all eras (or did Mantle/Martin not play with hangovers all the time?)

Naptown_Seth
05-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Ok first you none of you know what Larry was smoking or if he smoked. Would I be suprised if he smoked pot? Not suprised really to hear that anyone has smoked pot anymore.

And some say why Bird isn't being bashed about Jamaal Tinsley. Well they are two completely different cases. First, no one even knows that Larry smoked with JCM, let alone weed. Secondly, I would not give two ****s about Tinsley smoking pot, just don't get caught with it, and for god sake don't do anything stupid, don't get involed with anything that will bring bad publicity. That is the difference here people. Jamaal has brought bad publicity onto himself and the franchise. Larry has not.
Wait a second, what did Tinsley do again?

Rio? No charges.

And whatever happened with the 8 Seconds thing, has that truly turned out to be a bunch of BS that faded away?

You have as much on Tinsley for certain as you do Bird. And I'm not even in the Tinsley camp at this point, I'm pretty frustrated with him. I just want to stop counting the guilty chickens before they hatch.

Besides the rumor on Tins is closer to drinking issues than pot. You know, like Indy icon Al Unser Jr, who will be at the 500 and won't be getting boo'd despite his DUI accident a few months ago (to go with a long list of drinking incidents).

MagicRat
05-12-2007, 01:40 AM
My only issue was the crazy rush to explain away a comment that most people would only take one way. To me it feels very much like "wait, this being true won't let me bash Tins, Jack, Quis, etc like I want to"

Yes, you are exactly correct. I crazily rushed into this thread and said I thought he meant cigarettes because of my concern that I wouldn't be able to bash Jamaal with as clear of a conscience as I have in the past..........

Arcadian
05-12-2007, 08:24 PM
I've now always been iffy about Larry as a GM but this seals it. Never mind what has gone on in the last couple of years.

By the way "smoked" means oral sex and "under the table" is in secert. I don't understand why there is so much confusion about what Mellencamp meant.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
05-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Why is this thread still alive and 2 pages long? Whoopty-doo Larry Bird smoked pot when he was a player in the 80's. Id be more surprised if he didnt. I doubt he still smokes much anymore. And I bet the majority of young NBA players do smoke rather frequently.

I know, I know, Im not helping much by bumping this pointless thread but please let it die the horrible death it deserves.

TripleThreat
05-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I could care less about Jamaal's weed that he had in the car, and I care even less about Larry's weed smoking when he was a player, although if he smoked enough, it does explain some of the stupid **** he does today.

One thing is for certain, he knows the game quite well. He can coach his *** off. He knows how to keep it simple enough for the players to understand it, and complicated enough to keep opposing defenses on their toes.

...but this whole GM thing? It's just not his bag, baby! :D :D He's definitely out of his league in this arena. I wouldn't mind seeing him back on the sidelines again, but I think maybe Indiana has had enough of Larry Legend at this point.

grace
05-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Why is this thread still alive and 2 pages long?

a) The Pacers aren't in the playoffs
b) They can't interview Sam Mitchell or Jim Boylan yet
c) Austin and Anthony aren't in the playoffs

JayRedd
05-13-2007, 09:02 PM
If you don't think Kevin McHale and Larry Bird smoked trees while playing alongside Bill Walton and the Chief, I really just don't know what to tell you.

And don't use the phrase "do weed" if you want to be taken seriously. It makes you sound like my Grandmother.

Hicks
05-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Why would I want to be taken seriously when it comes to weed? :)

Tom White
05-13-2007, 09:42 PM
And don't use the phrase "do weed" if you want to be taken seriously. It makes you sound like my Grandmother.

Your Grandmother did weed?

Happy Mother's Day, Grandma! Here, I bought you a nickel bag!

grace
05-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Your Grandmother did weed?

Happy Mother's Day, Grandma! Here, I bought you a nickel bag!

Where's MR when we need him?

Mr.ThunderMakeR
05-14-2007, 02:36 AM
If anything, Bird should be taking heat for haning out with friggin' John Cougar Mellencamp. I cant stand that guy and his damn cliche'd small-town music!

Now die pointless thread, DIE!!

RWB
05-14-2007, 08:34 AM
If anything, Bird should be taking heat for haning out with friggin' John Cougar Mellencamp. I cant stand that guy and his damn cliche'd small-town music!

Now die pointless thread, DIE!!

Guess I shouldn't have painted my house pink. :confused:

Naptown_Seth
05-15-2007, 04:27 AM
Where's MR when we need him?
Didn't you notice MR's new avitar?

I love that album, probably my favorite of his.

BTW, while we are clarifying the subject the phrase "smoke 'em if you got 'em" does NOT refer to joints and you should not pull out your one-hitter, pipe, bong, apple, gas mask or any other possible apparatus at that point.

However the phrase "roll another note" or variations of that DO refer to smoking it up. You'll hear this in many a song, sliding by the uninformed masses and right into the ears of your stoner son who you just think is in one of his phases. :cool: :pimp: :hippie: :cool2: :dunce: :bored: :unimpress
:-p

Also JRs grandma had glaucoma :smart: , at least that's what she told her dealer. He still wouldn't accept her Blue Cross card for payment, but I think it had more to do with her using the narc-like "I wanna do some weed, can I buy a lid?" ;)

JayRedd
05-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Also JRs grandma had glaucoma :smart: , at least that's what she told her dealer. He still wouldn't accept her Blue Cross card for payment, but I think it had more to do with her using the narc-like "I wanna do some weed, can I buy a lid?" ;)

Nah, mang. Grandmama is the dealer. Her name be ringing out from Kingston to Bed-stuy. She's got that bumbaclad, sticky icky that be crossing your eyes if anyone's interested.

Hoop
05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
I would challenge Bird to a smoke off any day. :laugh:

I just quit smoking cigarettes 7 months ago, I freaking loved smoking, to bad it's bad for ya. :mad:

King Tuts Tomb
05-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Grow up guys, it was cigars!

http://iheartkg.blogspot.com/2007/05/mchale-says-he-wasnt-smoking-pot.html

McHale is so lame that he would even try to lie about this.

RWB
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Grow up guys, it was cigars!

http://iheartkg.blogspot.com/2007/05/mchale-says-he-wasnt-smoking-pot.html

McHale is so lame that he would even try to lie about this.

I love when I'm right one time out of a hundred. :D
Wait till I tell you what Donnie Walsh has been saying.

RWB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're talking cigars here gentlemen, a habit picked up from Red

Bball
05-16-2007, 10:25 AM
One thing I have noticed of those that 'partake' (talking joints here) is that they reach a point where they almost act like it isn't illegal. They may not light up beside a cop but they don't exactly find a dark cellar to go to either. And their paraphenalia gets less hidden all the time... including carrying it with them in their pocket(s).

And they also tend to assume 'everyone' does it. I wonder if that is what we see here? The regular users are the ones connecting the dots and coming up with Mellencamp HAD to be talking about a 4:20 smokeout...?

I don't know if they were or were not a dope smoking 3-some when Mellencamp played Boston. I'm not even sure I care because obviously they didn't let it affect their roles as basketball players or their standing in the community or profession. But I do care when people make the leap and paint them that way based on a phrase uttered by a 50+ year old man that may or may not have any connection to the slang some want to attribute to it. Especially when there's ample evidence to suggest otherwise or at least cast doubt.

-Bball

FlavaDave
05-16-2007, 10:38 AM
One thing I have noticed of those that 'partake' (talking joints here) is that they reach a point where they almost act like it isn't illegal. They may not light up beside a cop but they don't exactly find a dark cellar to go to either. And their paraphenalia gets less hidden all the time... including carrying it with them in their pocket(s).

And they also tend to assume 'everyone' does it. I wonder if that is what we see here? The regular users are the ones connecting the dots and coming up with Mellencamp HAD to be talking about a 4:20 smokeout...?

I don't know if they were or were not a dope smoking 3-some when Mellencamp played Boston. I'm not even sure I care because obviously they didn't let it affect their roles as basketball players or their standing in the community or profession. But I do care when people make the leap and paint them that way based on a phrase uttered by a 50+ year old man that may or may not have any connection to the slang some want to attribute to it. Especially when there's ample evidence to suggest otherwise or at least cast doubt.

-Bball

For what it is worth, I've never even tried pot once and it's plain as day to me that he was talking about pot.

Trader Joe
05-16-2007, 10:40 AM

-Bball

Yes clearly I am a dedicated user of marijuana and thats why I think they were smoking pot. In fact I'm sitting here with a fat blunt in my mouth as we speak. It had nothing to do with it being the 80s involving a shady comment made by a musician involving a pair of basketball players. No its because I smoke copious amounts of ganj wherever I please. :rolleyes: Gimme a break.

Bball
05-16-2007, 11:58 AM
For what it is worth, I've never even tried pot once and it's plain as day to me that he was talking about pot.

I'd sure like to know where you guys are getting that it's plain as day. The reality is that it is as clear as mud.

-Bball

gummy
05-16-2007, 12:06 PM
hahaha.

Well, I'd comment on this thread but I guess I have to be high first to make a proper judgment. Anyone know where I can get any in southern CA?

Ah well - maybe a little comment beforehand. I don't think the comment is plain as day. I find both groups (those who insist it's obviously about pot and those who just know it isn't) to be kind of silly. It's an ambiguous comment and I've studied linguistics enough to know that some people use words in strange ways that don't synch up with accepted definitions.

My general sense of things is that they were talking about marijuana, but I don't know that with 100% certainty. It cracks me up that we can talk about this for 3 pages though.

FlavaDave
05-16-2007, 12:31 PM
I'd sure like to know where you guys are getting that it's plain as day. The reality is that it is as clear as mud.

-Bball

Well, we could go on with this all day, so I'll leave it at this:

It's like saying "See that girl over there? I sure took her for a spin, if you know what I mean".

Taken literally, nobody has any idea what that specifically means. It is a meaningless phrase.

But you and I both know that he had sex with her. Obviously.

Now, imagine this exchage took place and someone from another country came in and asked "how do you know for sure that he meant sex?" We would try to explain in vain. How do you explain little slang phrases like that? And yet, you still know exactly what he meant, right?

So that's what I say to you. I can't logically prove why that was about pot. But that's just what people say when they smoke pot with each other. I will never convince you or anyone else. Believe me or don't, that's just the way it is.

RWB
05-16-2007, 12:49 PM

It's like saying "See that girl over there? I sure took her for a spin, if you know what I mean".

Taken literally, nobody has any idea what that specifically means. It is a meaningless phrase.

But, what if she says "No I did not have sex with him and he's making up a lie"? :D

Too much fun and as suggested maybe it's time to end this thread.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
05-16-2007, 12:54 PM
But, what if she says "No I did not have sex with him and he's making up a lie"? :DShe's obviously ashamed of him.

Bball
05-16-2007, 01:32 PM

Now, imagine this exchage took place and someone from another country came in and asked "how do you know for sure that he meant sex?" We would try to explain in vain. How do you explain little slang phrases like that? And yet, you still know exactly what he meant, right?

So that's what I say to you. I can't logically prove why that was about pot. But that's just what people say when they smoke pot with each other. I will never convince you or anyone else. Believe me or don't, that's just the way it is.

Wrong, because the phrase in question is already twisted from its original context. It doesn't have to mean 'wasted'. It becomes a leap to think they meant pot. It 's at least as likely that they didn't than they did.

You could've made the same basic comment about food. "They could eat me under the table" (Uhhhh keep your minds out of the gutter).

The phrase is absolutely as clear as mud and for anyone to make more of it than that without anything else to go on is reaching. If someone would've said "I wonder if he meant pot?" or "They could be talking about pot. Wouldn't that be a kicker if Larry is or was a pot smoker" then I'd have less problem with any of this. But as it is, you guys couldn't be any more wrong to just make the leap that it means pot. This isn't arguing over semantics or whether to take the phrase literally as in your comment about the girl. The comment doesn't mean smoking pot on it's face, even in slang terms.

I'm not arguing that he absolutely did not mean pot but that phrase is HIGHLY open to interpretation. It is certainly not the same as saying "I took that girl for a spin around the block if you know what I mean". Adding the "...if you know what I mean" gives the complete phrase MUCH more context than what we have in the Mellencamp comment.

I'm not sure what it says about society when a comment like that causes people to immediately jump to the conclusion it meant smoking dope.

This whole thing bugs me because some have tried to make some kind of connection with Sjax and Tinsley and how that was treated, talked about, etc as if there is some karmic thread tying them all together. And take this as definitive proof. Utter silliness.

-Bball

Trader Joe
05-16-2007, 01:43 PM
My general sense of things is that they were talking about marijuana, but I don't know that with 100% certainty. It cracks me up that we can talk about this for 3 pages though.

We're bored. The Pacers aren't playing and this is a genuinely interesting discussion so far IMO.

Bball
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
We're bored. The Pacers aren't playing and this is a genuinely interesting discussion so far IMO.

You got that right!

Besides... it's fun watching this thread grow...

-Bball

JayRedd
05-16-2007, 03:02 PM

You better not be still talking about my Grandmother.

Arcadian
05-16-2007, 03:05 PM
it's fun watching this thread grow...

-Bball

Is "watching this thread grow" slang for smoking pot?

We really need to get to the bottom of this because I haven't made up my mind yet if Larry is a capable GM or not.

RWB
05-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Now I have to wonder if all those supposed hunting trips in Parke county was a ruse for LB to check on his plants? :-o

Bball
05-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Is "watching this thread grow" slang for smoking pot?

We really need to get to the bottom of this because I haven't made up my mind yet if Larry is a capable GM or not.

This thread is growing like a weed... if you know what I mean.

-Bball

ChicagoJ
05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Alright, this is getting ridiculous, so I'm adding a poll (and combining threads).

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

;)

Arcadian
05-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I thought it was pretty clear that you were talking about doing weed but after this thread you never know.

Trader Joe
05-16-2007, 08:08 PM
I voted ambiguous though I have probably made it clear as to which side of the discussion I lean to lol.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
05-16-2007, 09:08 PM
I think this picture is appropriate for this thread:

http://www.prosecutorial-misconduct.com/HEADSAND.JPG

TripleThreat
05-16-2007, 09:45 PM

so wait a minute...you are telling me that our ENTIRE universe could be a tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being?

so...so...so...THAT means that a tiny atom in my fingernail could be one...tiny...universe....this is too much!!

Could I buy some pot from you?

JayRedd
05-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I think this picture is appropriate for this thread:

http://www.geocities.com/fridaythemovie/fridaymotion.gif

Larry, I know you don't get high...I know this, man.

But it's Friday, you aint got no game, and you aint got s*** to do.

Plus, this is oouuuuurr country.

Trader Joe
05-17-2007, 12:10 AM
so wait a minute...you are telling me that our ENTIRE universe could be a tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being?

so...so...so...THAT means that a tiny atom in my fingernail could be one...tiny...universe....this is too much!!

Could I buy some pot from you?

I'm not sure how I am supposed to take this response...

Naptown_Seth
05-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Nah, mang. Grandmama is the dealer. Her name be ringing out from Kingston to Bed-stuy. She's got that bumbaclad, sticky icky that be crossing your eyes if anyone's interested.
Hey, no worries, those clappers and med-alerts don't pay for themselves.

Naptown_Seth
05-17-2007, 02:06 AM
BBall, is there anyway you could sound more out of touch than when you implied that if we know what they are talking about then we must be users?

For F's sake I knew what a Bobby and Lift were before I ever visited England, but with your logic I freaking lived there all my life.

Social awareness is not a sign of low character. I remember when knowing about things was actually considered a good thing, now I'm supposed to be ashamed if I'm familiar with some lingo.

I suppose you watched Trainspotting and scratched your head the entire time, or Dazed and Confused was about a far away strange world that made no sense to you. God help you if you put in a Cheech and Chong film, just what in the world are those hippies saying anyway. If you get that Ray Milliand is in detox shock due to excessive drinking in Lost Weekend then obviously you need to be at an AA meaning.

As for "leap of faith"...um, a) rock star...who happens to be good friend with Willie Nelson which is where Farm Aid came from b) NBA stars...who happened to be teammates with a 3rd star who was actually (not rumor) busted with a bunch of weed, and were teammates with another guy who was all but an openly admitted user and well-known DeadHead (where no drug use has ever occurred at all).

But because we put those into a statement that typically involves doing something till the other person can't take it anymore, WE'RE taking the leap and people saying that this phrase which has never in the history of conversation been used to describe smoking cigs are the ones seeing it clearly. Right.

I'm not trying to be an a'hole about it, but it steams me to be basically accussed of being a smoker because I followed the above logic. Only deviants would connect those dots. And Flava (which doesn't exclude him from deviant status in other contexts ;) ).

Bball
05-17-2007, 02:49 AM
BBall, is there anyway you could sound more out of touch than when you implied that if we know what they are talking about then we must be users?

That wasn't my point. My point was asking whether it was regular users who were so easily ready to believe it HAD to be pot smoking they were talking about.

For F's sake I knew what a Bobby and Lift were before I ever visited England, but with your logic I freaking lived there all my life.

I'm happy for you. Glad you could shine a torch on that issue. :D

Social awareness is not a sign of low character. I remember when knowing about things was actually considered a good thing, now I'm supposed to be ashamed if I'm familiar with some lingo.

You're taking the lingo of a 50+ year old man who may or may not be nearly as 'hip' as would need to be here.

I suppose you watched Trainspotting and scratched your head the entire time, or Dazed and Confused was about a far away strange world that made no sense to you. God help you if you put in a Cheech and Chong film, just what in the world are those hippies saying anyway. If you get that Ray Milliand is in detox shock due to excessive drinking in Lost Weekend then obviously you need to be at an AA meaning.

Nothing here to comment on...

As for "leap of faith"...um, a) rock star...who happens to be good friend with Willie Nelson which is where Farm Aid came from b) NBA stars...who happened to be teammates with a 3rd star who was actually (not rumor) busted with a bunch of weed, and were teammates with another guy who was all but an openly admitted user and well-known DeadHead (where no drug use has ever occurred at all).

And with ALL that it took 25 years and a throw away comment from Johnny Cougar to bring Bird's dope smoking ways to light (pardon the pun).

But because we put those into a statement that typically involves doing something till the other person can't take it anymore, WE'RE taking the leap and people saying that this phrase which has never in the history of conversation been used to describe smoking cigs are the ones seeing it clearly. Right.

Yip... you are taking a G I A N T ****ing leap.

Can you tell how strongly I feel about this?? I can't believe how willing some of you guys are to assume it was dope Mellencamp was talking about.

I'm not trying to be an a'hole about it, but it steams me to be basically accussed of being a smoker because I followed the above logic. Only deviants would connect those dots. And Flava (which doesn't exclude him from deviant status in other contexts ;) ).

You didn't follow any logic at all. You just jumped to a big conclusion because you apparently want to believe Bird is a doper.

Go back to defending Sjax... at least then you could make an argument . Here, you're just pulling stuff outta you ***....

The statement is ambiguous.

I don't care if you smoke dope or not.

-Bball