PDA

View Full Version : What Pontential JO Deal Would You Prefer?

Mr. Sobchak
05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Based on all the speculation thus far which deal for JO would you prefer?

Anthem
05-07-2007, 01:45 PM
How about "neither" or "it depends."

Throw-ins can be a big deal. Are we getting Mardy Collins? Jordan Farmar? A pick?

Neither of those trades makes us a better team than we are right now.

ajbry
05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
The Knicks deal by a mile. I called for J-Craw a couple months ago and I'd love to see him and Frye or Lee be the centerpiece of a trade. We ain't going to get equal value so we just need fairly young players who can put points on the board.

DisplacedKnick
05-07-2007, 01:53 PM
I voted the Laker deal myself so subtract that if you want to know what Pacer fans think.

I just don't see JO and Curry being a dream matchup for us. Both are primarily back-to-the-basket players though JO can hit from 15-18. But they can't both be in the post at the same time.

David Lee is nowhere near the player JO is but IMO, with Curry already planted in the block, he helps the Knicks almost as much (shotblocking would be the one aspect JO would bring). We already have a strong rebounder who can hit the 15-foot jumper when Curry's doubled.

JO and Curry on the same frontline just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

3rdStrike
05-07-2007, 02:03 PM
How can anyone prefer the Knicks deal? Frye's a reserve, Lee's a reserve and the best part of the deal, Crawford is a career 40% shooter (aka Tinsley from the two spot with fewer assists and fewer rebounds), Francis is moody, injury prone and quite likely has seen his best days in the NBA already.

Odom alone is better than any combination of those guys, especially for those of you who want to get rid of Tinsley (who will likely be gone anyway by the start of next season). He is the definition of a player who is capable of playing point forward.

Bynum would be at worst the #3 pick if he were in this year's draft (he's 19 yrs old). I'll take the lottery pick, versatile, workmanlike borderline All Star and space filler over any combination of reserves and moody, low percentage shooters, thanks.

Anthem
05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I just don't see JO and Curry being a dream matchup for us. Both are primarily back-to-the-basket players though JO can hit from 15-18. But they can't both be in the post at the same time.
When Thomas was here, he used Jermaine for a lot of face-up stuff... putting the ball on the floor, shooting, moving into and out of the post, etc. I've always thought Jermaine's game went downhill when he bulked up to deal with the fact that Carlisle used him exclusively with his back to the basket. Jermaine's got a very nice post-up game, but he's at his best when he's versatile in his attack.

I agree it's not an ideal pairing, but it's a lot better than Jermaine and Harrington.

Anthem
05-07-2007, 02:06 PM
How can anyone prefer the Knicks deal?
Well, keep in mind there is no actual "Knick deal" or "Laker deal." But if I imagine the best possible Knick deal, it looks a lot better than the best possible Laker deal.

Ragnar
05-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I hate the thought of giving a good player to the Knicks for used up has beens.

The stupid thing is Steve Francis is the right kind of pg for Rick and now that Rick is gone they could very well end up with him.

Cobol Sam
05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm with 3rdStrike on this one. I'm very interested in having Bynum and Odom. Brown is almost immediate cap relief and Farmar might be a backup point guard.

That Knicks deal feels wrong to me. More of the same crap.

Los Angeles
05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Meh - I'm already getting tired of trade speculation threads in the main forum.

FlavaDave
05-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Meh - I'm already getting tired of trade speculation threads in the main forum.

Its all we got, bro. Its all we got.

David Lee is far from a bench player. I would love to have him. Not for JO straight up, but I would be excited to see him in a Pacer uniform.

Now, the rest of the Knicks I'm not so sure about.

Kegboy
05-07-2007, 02:43 PM
How 'bout a combination of Bynum, Farmar, Lee, and Crawford. :eyebrow:

Seriously, I'd go with LA. As much as I like Lee, we need a point and a center, even if we don't know how they'll turn out.

Arcadian
05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Lamar is easily the closest all star caliber player of that bunch. Bynum has the most potential. All you are getting with the NY trade are average to good players.

When you trade away a franchise player you've got to get an All star, a player who can become great. NY can't offer us either of those things.

JayRedd
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Bynum's going to be a beast.

colonialspacers
05-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Crawford sucks. He's a selfish player who doesn't make anyone around him better. Plus he's overpaid and he's got four years left on his contract. I don't think the Pacers need to be troubled by any more long term deals.

I prefer the Lakers' package, although there is no way we are getting Jordan Farmar, they're really high on him in LA.

DisplacedKnick
05-07-2007, 03:17 PM
When Thomas was here, he used Jermaine for a lot of face-up stuff... putting the ball on the floor, shooting, moving into and out of the post, etc. I've always thought Jermaine's game went downhill when he bulked up to deal with the fact that Carlisle used him exclusively with his back to the basket. Jermaine's got a very nice post-up game, but he's at his best when he's versatile in his attack.

I agree it's not an ideal pairing, but it's a lot better than Jermaine and Harrington.

True - but what you've just described is exactly how Lee is used. JO's a better athlete (Lee isn't bad but it's the difference between good and great) but I can just see Isiah foaming at the mouth over this when in reality it's trying to hit another home run instead of acquiring the pieces it takes to make a team.

Almost without exception, Isiah's home runs have flopped because the pieces don't fit. I see this as another example of that - almost a perfect example, just like getting Jalen last year or trying to pair Marbury and Francis in the backcourt.

The man should be a scout and leave putting a team together to people who have a clue.

Oh well - at least we were happy losers this year. That's good for a 3-year extension.

Trader Joe
05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
I'd take the Lakers deal Odom and Bynum by itself is better than the Knicks deal. I think Frye pretty much isn't going to get a whole lot better. I like Lee as a player, but I am not sure him being the best part of a trade for JO is exactly how I want to go. Crawford is clutch, but he is still a chucker who can go out and put up 30 or go out and put up 8 points while shooting 3 for 17. I gave Francis this year to prove to me he had something left and he proved he had absolutely nothing left and is just a waste of a roster spot.

diamonddave00
05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
There is no way the Lakers include Bynum and Odom both in a trade for Jermaine.

Most likely if Bynum is included you are looking at Kwame Brown and his 1 yr 9 mil deal and lots of filler.

The Lakers are not trading Odom, Bynum and Brown together - they'd deplete their size too much and be left with only JO at pf and center.

As for Bynum -Jim Buss has a man love for him and will be hard pressed to move him. If the he is offered Bird and Walsh will jump at the offer.

Robertmto
05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
David Lee AND C Frye?

Whats NOT to love?

Mr. Sobchak
05-07-2007, 04:05 PM

I intended for the pole to be read as a combination of those players-not necessarily all of them together in one deal.

OakMoses
05-07-2007, 04:12 PM
I have to choose the Lakers deal over the Knicks deal for a couple reasons.

One: Lamar Odom is the best of the 8 players that are mentioned, and Bynum is the best prospect of all the players mentioned.

Two: The Knicks deal gives us a bunch of redundant parts and would force us into other trades. Francis would force us to get rid of Tinsley. Lee is basically a slightly better version of Foster. Crawford is almost a carbon copy of Jamal Crawford. Frye is basically a combination of Ike and Murphy who strengths aren't quite as strong as either (he's not as good of a shooter as Murph, he doesn't have the post up game of Ike). In short, I don't like this trade.

Roaming Gnome
05-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Isn't there a seperate forum for "make believe" trade proposals?

Y2J
05-07-2007, 04:18 PM
David Lee AND C Frye?

Whats NOT to love?

The fact that they're both backups on a lottery team? :confused:

Frye had a solid rookie year, if you remember he was allegedly deemed "untouchable" during the Artest saga, but his 2nd year was horrible. More minutes + more experience = less ppg, less rpg, less bpg, lower fg%? :confused:

Lee is a potential rebounding leader and shoots close to 60% from the field - incredible. But he's nothing more than a role player and will likely always be that way.

I think Bynum has star potential, at the center position, and that's just too much for me to pass up. If we could get Odom, it'd be an enormous coup but I highly doubt that's possible.

avoidingtheclowns
05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
another reason to like the lakers deal: none of the players locks us in long-term on a terrible contract. farmar and bynum are on rookie scale. odom has 2yrs left and brown has one. so if it doesn't work out we're not doomed with crawford for a bunch of seasons.

Y2J
05-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Eddy Curry and David Lee....now that's a deal I would listen to from the Knicks.

CableKC
05-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Can you add a 3rd option to get Marbury and JCraw?

owl
05-09-2007, 06:55 AM

Most likely if Bynum is included you are looking at Kwame Brown and his 1 yr 9 mil deal and lots of filler.

The Lakers are not trading Odom, Bynum and Brown together - they'd deplete their size too much and be left with only JO at pf and center.

As for Bynum -Jim Buss has a man love for him and will be hard pressed to move him. If the he is offered Bird and Walsh will jump at the offer.

Brown(cap space), Bynum(potential) and a number 1 pick is probably the best
the Pacers can hope far. One other team can offer something similar.
++++++++++++++
Marion(cap space-good player) and their number 4 pick from Atlanta

Mourning
05-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Brown(cap space), Bynum(potential) and a number 1 pick is probably the best
the Pacers can hope far. One other team can offer something similar.
++++++++++++++
Marion(cap space-good player) and their number 4 pick from Atlanta

They can, but they won't until we include someone else we covet from our own team aswell.