PDA

View Full Version : More complaining about ESPN's coverage of the NBA

Unclebuck
05-19-2004, 12:14 PM
We could write a book about complaints about ESPN.

Seems to me ESPN only televises NBA games because they can't do Sportscenters 24 hours a day. What I mean by this is it seems like the games are just filler, like something they have to do to fill time until the next Sportscenter.

The way they break away from the games as soon as they are over and go right to Sportscenter, yes I know they do a short interview, but they should do more.

The way they broke into the game last night to tell us that RJ pitched perfect game. The way they minimize the screen to show their 28/58 updates at the bottom.

That is just the overall impression I get.

ChicagoJ
05-19-2004, 12:19 PM
That is what I feared would happen with this tv contract - with NBC we were "THE show". With Disney, we're just a distraction that's frequently relegated to ESPN/ESPN2 or something.

Since I get NBA-TV, I actually prefer it when the Pacers are on there. Even on TNT, we are still the main attraction.

And I was infuriated with the first NBA-related segment on SportsCenter after the game.

You'd think Wade single-handedly beat the Pacers. Not a single Pacers offensive highlight in that segment (the only Pacers highlight was JO's block, but my goodness that was a helluva play.)

indygeezer
05-19-2004, 12:49 PM
I'm not a fan of ESPN, even Fox is better than they are. One of my pet rants is all the logos and other info all networks seem to want to put up there today. I don't want the extraneous stuff taking up my picture. WHy buy a large screen if it is being cluttered with all this extra stuff IMO? I expect to start seeing Pop-Ups at any time now.

Shade
05-19-2004, 01:04 PM
I expect to start seeing Pop-Ups at any time now.

:rotflmao:

waxman
05-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Come on guys..... don't you know the 4 major sports are now....Football, Baseball, Billiards, K1-Fighting.....

the NBA is an afterthought....especially the Eastern conference, as far as we know the Lakers won the title in 6 over the Spurs this weekend...

Yeah they couldn't gush enough about Wade all series....they were too busy shoving LeBron down our throats all year to realize Wade was the special one....and must've been making up for lost time.

sweabs
05-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Maybe TNT does the same thing for the East...but when I am watching games on TNT, something that bothers me is on the bottom bar where they scroll scores, news, etc., you see a headline something along the lines of:

"TNT - YOUR HOME OF THE WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS".

Now maybe they do it for the East too - but every time I seem to glance down there I always see that... :unimpressed: .

Hicks
05-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Nope; TNT will only have the WCF. We're stuck with ESPN. :unimpressed:

TheSauceMaster
05-19-2004, 01:39 PM

Yep I was gonna say that , TNT is the Exclusive home of the WCF and ESPN is doing ECF

ABC finals

sweabs
05-19-2004, 01:52 PM

Yep I was gonna say that , TNT is the Exclusive home of the WCF and ESPN is doing ECF

ABC finals

That is :censor: BULLLLLL.

ChicagoJ
05-19-2004, 02:16 PM

ABC finals

That is :censor: BULLLLLL.

Fine. But you'll have to tell that to the lawyers that drew up the agreements. Its gonna be that way for four more seasons after his one.

:rolleyes:

Bball
05-19-2004, 02:17 PM
But ESPN has HD..... I 'assume' they will be using it for the ECF's.....

Altho... TNT-HD is coming if not already available.

-Bball

TheSauceMaster
05-19-2004, 02:23 PM
According to the ESPN Tv Schedule only Games 5 , 6 and 7 are in HD on ESPN..none of the first 4 games are in HD , but then again I maybe speaking outta my arse since I am pretty clueless when it comes to HDTV

HD Tv isnt that common yet , so I don't think that's a selling point if it's in HD or Not , you still have til 2006 before all tv's will be required to be digital if I remember correctly.

kerosene
05-19-2004, 02:43 PM
My complaint about the coverage last night was not that SC lead with Johnson's perfect game, that was a big deal. But that one the top story was over, the only NBA game that night; a playoff game; a playoff game that ended a series... highlights were picked up in the 4th quarter. Wade had a hell of a quarter and I understand that talk is going to center around him and why he was on the bench at the end but the Pacers were virtually ignored in comparison and they won the frickin' series. Sure, they were supposed to win the series, but when the Spurs or the Lakers win a series (that they were supposed to win) it's all about them.

ROCislandWarrior
05-19-2004, 02:49 PM
We could write a book about complaints about ESPN.

Seems to me ESPN only televises NBA games because they can't do Sportscenters 24 hours a day. What I mean by this is it seems like the games are just filler, like something they have to do to fill time until the next Sportscenter.

The way they break away from the games as soon as they are over and go right to Sportscenter, yes I know they do a short interview, but they should do more.

The way they broke into the game last night to tell us that RJ pitched perfect game. The way they minimize the screen to show their 28/58 updates at the bottom.

That is just the overall impression I get.

That is the one thing that really really bothers me. To them, the NBA is like "World's scariest police chases" is to TBS. Then the whole sportscenter thing about Dwade and only Dwade really leaves a sour taste.

Come on ESPN, maybe you should hire some of those NBC marketing reps to help you out in this department.

Bball
05-19-2004, 03:34 PM
According to the ESPN Tv Schedule only Games 5 , 6 and 7 are in HD on ESPN..none of the first 4 games are in HD , but then again I maybe speaking outta my arse since I am pretty clueless when it comes to HDTV.

So the series could be decided by the time they bring the HD truck up to do the game? :rolleyes:

OK... ESPN sucks... Where do I sign to join the club?

-Bball

Booger
05-19-2004, 03:46 PM
<Edited>

Booger
05-19-2004, 03:48 PM
According to the ESPN Tv Schedule only Games 5 , 6 and 7 are in HD on ESPN..none of the first 4 games are in HD , but then again I maybe speaking outta my arse since I am pretty clueless when it comes to HDTV

HD Tv isnt that common yet , so I don't think that's a selling point if it's in HD or Not , you still have til 2006 before all tv's will be required to be digital if I remember correctly.

Not true. All ESPN ECF games will be in HD.

Upcoming ESPN HD Schedule (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/espnhd/index)

I assume Game #3 will be on ABC.

:cool: