PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm ready for a shooter.

hoopsforlife
01-25-2004, 10:05 PM
After watching the NBA Pass free all day I have decided the Pacers really need a good shooter if they are going to go anywhere in the post season. We just don't have the clutch deadeye shooter that some of the other teams have.

Reggie just doesn't shoot enough and can't bring it every night like he used to.

Atlanta's Terry is a case in point. If Tinsley would take it to the hoop like Terry did today we would be unstoppable. Dallas has excellent outside shooters and the Timberwolves have that Martian Sam Cassell.

I really think we need a good scorer now. Carl English anyone? :idea: :rolleyes:

ROCislandWarrior
01-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Who are you willing to give up for a great shooter?

Kstat
01-25-2004, 10:11 PM
After watching the NBA Pass free all day I have decided the Pacers really need a good shooter if they are going to go anywhere in the post season. We just don't have the clutch deadeye shooter that some of the other teams have.

Reggie just doesn't shoot enough and can't bring it every night like he used to.

Atlanta's Terry is a case in point. If Tinsley would take it to the hoop like Terry did today we would be unstoppable. Dallas has excellent outside shooters and the Timberwolves have that Martian Sam Cassell.

I really think we need a good scorer now. Carl English anyone? :idea: :rolleyes:

You'll have a better chance trying to get TMac to willingly come off the bench than Jason Terry.

hoopsforlife
01-25-2004, 10:20 PM
Who are you willing to give up for a great shooter?

That is the hard part. Deciding who to bench. Probably, the best one this year would be Jonathon Bender. He needs to recover fully and a year would do that. I would like to see Jamison Brewer get a chance to play more. He seemed to hit some 3's when he was in there earlier. We have 6 guards already, I just wish one of them could shoot.

I'm glad its Bird's and Walsh's decision to make. :laugh:

Doug
01-25-2004, 10:28 PM
It seems like I've been asking for a shooter in the draft for years now. I never get one. It's like opening your Christmas presents and finding the one you really, really wanted wasn't under the tree. Just the best shooter available at our pick, that's all I ask for. But I never get it. I just get forwards - and I already have a couple dozen of those. Then, when I finally get a 2-guard, it turns out he's defective and can't shoot. And of course, you can't return a 2-guard - no warranty. <sigh>

Maybe J Jones will be one, but I just don't see him getting much time for a while.

ROCislandWarrior
01-25-2004, 10:40 PM
he's defective and can't shoot

Can't shoot...yes....but he is hardly defective.

If he ever learns to shoot, he has the athletic ability to be quiet the player

Doug
01-25-2004, 10:48 PM
I know. Fred has skills - darn good defender. Plays hard.

But, either your 1 or your 2 needs to be able to shoot, and make, consistantly from 18 - 22 or everybody sags in the middle. Tinsley's shooting better this year, but still is not a consistant long range scorer. If we keep Tinsley, and I think we will, then Fred *must* learn to shoot. Driving to the lane doesn't do any good when the defense is already crowding there since they don't respect the perimeter.

DisplacedKnick
01-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Shooter? Welcome to the NY Knicks shopping center.

We got Allan Houston, we got Keith Van Horn. I can get you your shooter but you'll have to give up Al Harrington (I would take Croshere with him though).

DisplacedKnick
01-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Shooter? Welcome to the NY Knicks shopping center.

We got Allan Houston, we got Keith Van Horn. I can get you your shooter but you'll have to give up Al Harrington (I would take Croshere with him though).

Allan Houston minus about 60 million would be perfect for this team. And you can keep Van Horn! :devil:

Y'know, you try to help a fella in need out and see what thanks you get! :D ;)

Cactus Jax
01-25-2004, 11:52 PM
What about Al, Croshere, and Pollard for Houston? I seriously doubt Isiah wants Cro though as he benched him for 3 years.

I'll say it again, dump Jamison and pick up Glen Rice. I'd like to see Jamison play as much as the rest of you, but with Tinsley, AJ, and Kenny, he's just NOT going to get consistent time. If you combine Jamaal's playmaking, and Brewer's defense, then you got a heck of a player. Jamaal just does so much more though overall.

ROCislandWarrior
01-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Flip Murray anyone???

Hicks
01-25-2004, 11:58 PM
I've always been of the midset that you can teach a great shooter to be a great defender, but it's a whole lot harder to teach a great defender to be a great shooter.

Funny, I've always thought the opposite. Some players just cannot play defense. A lot more player can be tought to shoot. See Ron Artest (his slump/injury notwithstanding)

Roaming Gnome
01-26-2004, 12:13 AM
There is a key word that everyone leaves out when they talk about getting this, or getting that...That word is "free", as in we want to get so in so and not have to give up anything substansial. The only thing about Croshere that is substansial is his contract. We have the goods to get a shooter, but the question is...Do you want to give up Al to get it? It is not like we are the Knicks dealing from a position of weakness, but we all knows what it would take to get anyone thru a trade. Right now, I just don't see giving all up, worth the risk just because we don't have a back up to replace him comming off the bench!

Anthem
01-26-2004, 03:09 AM
If Reggie gets hurt for any extended period of time, I'd be pretty tempted to move Al Harrington for what's-his-face in Milwaukee.

Suaveness
01-26-2004, 03:14 AM
If Reggie gets hurt for any extended period of time, I'd be pretty tempted to move Al Harrington for what's-his-face in Milwaukee.

I don't see him getting hurt...the man's a stud :dance:

Cactus Jax
01-26-2004, 03:34 AM

Michael Redd, I'm figuring. I seriously doubt Milwaukee trades an all-star, he will be in a couple weeks, for Harrington who's very talented but is unproven as a long term starter. It will take at least Harrington and Bender to get him, and also for the Pacers to take the horrid contract of Tim Thomas for Indy to have a chance of getting Redd.

My solution is a short term and simple one; cut Siggy and add Rice, then find more of a long term guy with the MLE.

3rdBattboy
01-26-2004, 02:19 PM
I've always been of the midset that you can teach a great shooter to be a great defender, but it's a whole lot harder to teach a great defender to be a great shooter.

Funny, I've always thought the opposite. Some players just cannot play defense. A lot more player can be tought to shoot. See Ron Artest (his slump/injury notwithstanding)

I agree that its difficult for a player to become a great defender but I think its possible to become an average defender or to be somebody who isn't a liability. Reggie Miller comes to mind.

Same thing with shooters. Its possible to become a decent shooter with a ton of practice, just look at Anthony Johnson, also Michael Redd has been mentioned in this thread. The Michael Redd were seeing in the NBA now is totally different from the one at Ohio State who used his size and his strenght to score points. Redd learned how to shoot and look at him now, hes one of the best 3pt shooters in the league. Rashard Lewis is another example of a player who wasn't considered a great shooter when he entered the league. I think shooting and defense are the easiest parts to improve your game on if your truly dedicated.

ROCislandWarrior
01-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Tinsley
Redd
Artest
O'neal
Foster

That is a very VERY big three.

Milwaukee needs a low post option...AL
But if they give up Redd, they are going to want a shooter to replace him
D Jones is playing mentor to TJ ford
and Cowboy can't shoot the ball

they only way I see us getting Redd is to swing a three way deal

ROCislandWarrior
01-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Redd and Lewis

btown is right...lewis didn;t go to college

and Redd was a slasher, he was not a shooter. He even said so himself.