PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on game #6. Don't you ever criticize AJ again

Unclebuck
05-18-2004, 11:44 PM
You have to give AJ huge amounts of credit. He came off the bench cold and hit two huge free threws. Next to Reggie I can't think of anyone else I would rather have at the free throw line in that situation.

Let me touch on the Heat first. They are extremely well coached, and they have some nice young players. But Dwayne Wade is scary, I felt like I was watching Michael Jordan tonight at the start of the 4th quarter, I was scared to death when Wade started throwing shots in over Artest.

On to the Pacers. Is there anything left to say about Artest. He might win offensive player of the year next year. Rag on him if you must for missing those two late FT's, but I won't. Artest's combination of quickness, strength and attitude is unmatched by any player in the NBA. Listening to Thunder Dan and Sean Elliott tonight it is obvious they don't see any Pacers games in person this season, they acted like he is just doing this now.

Biggest play of the game was J.O's block shot on Butler. That would have cut to the lead to 2. Most people will say J.O did not have a good game tonight. I disagree. He had 13 rebs, a huge save of the ball in the 4th quarter, his defense was excellent, in many ways this was his best game of the series. His steadiness kept the Pacers afloat, and the amount of attention the Heat paid to him opened things up for everyone else.

Reggie was excellent in the 1st half. If he could have hit just one of the wide open threes in the third quarter the whole game is different. But I liked his aggression.

Tinsley, yes he missed some threes, yes he had some trouble with Wade, but who wouldn't. There was a stretch in the third quarter where I thought he took the game over, getting into the lane, and coming up with a few steals. His two baskets were huge late in the fourth, SVG mentioned Tinsley's runner in the lane as a huge play. I like when Tinsley gets mad. Oh and his touchdown pass to Artest in the first half was as good of a pass as you will ever see.

Harrington, played well in the second quarter, he really provided a spark and finally got it going offensively. Hope his hand heals.

Note: Rick Carlisle is 5-0 in close out games

Bender was OK, Cro did not do much, AJ hit two huge FT's....have I missed anyone.

Pacers won this game because of what they did all season long. They know how to grind games out, they know how to pull tough games out. And they did not learn that tonight, they learned it from the first moment of training camp. Carlisle has preached all season long to play every game like a playoff game in style and tonight it really paid off.

That is enough for now

sweabs
05-18-2004, 11:47 PM
Jermaine's 13 rebounds were GREAT to see. For a guy averaging only 8 rbs in playoffs prior to tonight - this was a real great stat to see. Let's just hope his eye gets better so he can keep it up.

ROCislandWarrior
05-18-2004, 11:55 PM
I too noticed the things O'neal was doing to help us win this game. Everygame I watch, I gain more and more respect for Tinsley.

He is leading this team. He is getting emotional and he is hitting tough shots.

I hope wade was a good warmup for Tins because he is going to go up against either J kidd or a physical beast in billups.

I must applaud this team, they controlled that game in the ugliest of ways

Bball
05-18-2004, 11:57 PM
It sure seemed like JO didn't push things offensively and force too much stuff. He just did the other things and let other players use what Miami was giving us offensively.

I haven't looked at his stats but it seemed he shot less than early in the series where it seemed he forced things when he couldn't get on track (mostly due to what Miami was doing).

-Bball

sweabs
05-18-2004, 11:57 PM
I guess Carlisle let Tinsley be more aggressive - AND I LIKED IT.

Unclebuck
05-19-2004, 12:06 AM
J.O. was at the press conference after the game, that tells me his eye is going to be OK.

sweabs
05-19-2004, 12:07 AM
J.O. was at the press conference after the game, that tells me his eye is going to be OK.

Why is that? And with your predictions I'm more than inclined to believe you... :laugh: .

Unclebuck
05-19-2004, 12:12 AM

Why is that? And with your predictions I'm more than inclined to believe you... :laugh: .

Not sure if you are really asking me a question here, but I'll answrr. I would think that if his eye had sustained any damage, he would not have gone to the press conference

sweabs
05-19-2004, 12:13 AM

Not sure if you are really asking me a question here, but I'll answrr. I would think that if his eye had sustained any damage, he would not have gone to the press conference

Yeah, but Jermaine is a warrior...and he DID get that "media award".

TheSauceMaster
05-19-2004, 12:14 AM
I knew he was alright when he returned to the game so quickly , if he was seriously hurt I don't think the staff would have let hm return even though it was critical he be in the game.

Comments on AJ , yeah he hit 2 clutch free throws and congrats for that .... but it's gonna take alot more than that to dig outta my dog house AJ :laugh:

Cactus Jax
05-19-2004, 12:24 AM
I hope wade was a good warmup for Tins because he is going to go up against either J kidd or a physical beast in billups.

Wade is so much better in getting to the basket than Billups, and he hits crazy shots. Kidd will always be tough be he's not that great making shots, and Billups isn't that great going inside, but can shoot the ball.

Wade is playing better than both of them right now, and will be an all-star for the next 10+ years.

Shade
05-19-2004, 12:28 AM
AJ will be critcized LOTS more if we play Detroit next.

sweabs
05-19-2004, 12:28 AM

Oh god.......... :cry:

canyoufeelit
05-19-2004, 12:41 AM

Yes, Tins is going to have to play major minutes or else that Hunter/James trap is gonna be lethal.

Cactus Jax
05-19-2004, 12:42 AM

Yes, Tins is going to have to play major minutes or else that Hunter/James trap is gonna be lethal.

That and Kenny Anderson will also have to be used, but I think Rick will give AJ a chance for a game or so.

Shade
05-19-2004, 12:52 AM
i'm glad AJ got the job done...but it's not about his shooting..it's the way AJ makes our offense collapse...but I hope AJ does well :) he'sa good person, just not a good pg

Wow. Winning cures all ills, eh Sassan? :cool:

beast23
05-19-2004, 02:19 AM
Wow. Winning cures all ills, eh Sassan? :cool:
You've got that right.

Otherwise, we might just overlook the fact that we had nearly 2x as many TOs as assists and that just about everybody that played other than Foster at times forgot about their teammates on the offensive end and tried to "do it all" themselves.

The game was a very hard fought one. How else can we explain that we shot 32% from the field and only 20% behind the arc, yet still managed to win?

We have to run the offense better against the Pistons or New Jersey.

But I agree with Buck. Artest was huge. JO may have been third in the league in MVP voting, but I think Artest proved once again that he is the MVP of this team.

PaceBalls
05-19-2004, 08:05 AM
This may have been rubbed in the ground already... but dwayne wade is special. He should have been the ROY looking back. I know uncleb or someone said it already too, but he really did look like jordan out there in that 4th. That team is going to finish atop the east, 50-55 wins, maybe more if they get the rest of the parts in place next year.

I really cant say enough about Wade, he outplayed everyone with the exception of Ron. The kids got game!

fwpacerfan
05-19-2004, 08:44 AM
Yes AJ hit two big free throws but my question is 'Why was he in there?' IMHO AJ should have spent the whole 4th quarter right next to Rick on the bench.

I don't know what Rick sees in AJ that the rest of the world doesn't. AJ's defense has not been significantly better than Tinsley's and he bogs down the offense. The only thing I see that AJ does better than Tinsley is that AJ doesn't turn the ball over. Of course when you don't do anything except walk up the floor and then stand still and dribble you won't have many turnovers.

If AJ plays in the next series like he did this one and he gets the minutes he got in this series then the Pacers may be lucky to win one game.

Unclebuck
05-19-2004, 09:08 AM
AJ was in there just for the purpose to shoot and hit the free throws. As Rick said after the game next to Reggie they have more confidence in AJ in those situations than anyone and so do I.

Artest or the coaching staff deserves a ton of credit. They made an adjustment in where Ron got the ball and what he did with it last night. Instead of posting up, backing down, and doing his little pull through/up and under move, Ron faced and used his quickness to get by Butler or Odom and once he gets his shoulder by his defender, it is over because he is too strong

naptownmenace
05-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Quiet as kept, I though AJ did a good job of running the offense last night - particularly the 2nd quarter. The Pacers made their first nice little run with AJ in the game at that point and he did a good job of getting the ball up court (for a change).

AJ (or "Catfish" as we call him in our house) will be a good player to have if we face New Jersey. Against the Pistons, it'll be tough for him to get many minutes but I could see him being used as a back up SG, especially if Fred Jones is still injured.

Either way, he plays an important role on this team. As long as he's on the floor with Artest or Fred, who can initiate the offense, he'll be okay.

Ragnar
05-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Buck I have said over and over again I have nothing against AJ when they use him properly. Last night he was in as an extra shooter and that is exactly the role I want to see him play for this team. He should be the guy who comes off the bench and stands behind the three point line waiting for the ball or when we need free throw shooting.

The problem I have is when he is at the point guard position. He is not a point guard!! get that through your head. Would you think I hated Artest if I b1tched about him getting minutes at the backup pg? Or how about Reggie or Jermaine? None of those guys are point guards and neither is AJ! Use him properly and I would never complain about him use him improperly and I will.

TheSauceMaster
05-19-2004, 09:29 AM
To be honest I woulda loved to have Mark Jackson as backup PG this year , but hey that's just my :twocents:

Arcadian
05-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Johnson is an upgrade from what we had as a backup PG last year. I would even say that Johnson is better than last year's Tinsley.

LAPacer
05-19-2004, 05:03 PM
I have been guilty for hating on AJ when we lose games. I'll try to show him more leniancy. He was the one that hit those big 3's in the beginning of the season against NJ to start our season off with W's and he is pretty clutch. I just want him to run the offense better

Millerartest
05-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the "recap." Good to hear about AJ, but I still think he should be 15th man behind Anderson, Brezec, Pollard and Brewer. And I couldn't agree more about Oneal finally have a great game on both the rebounding and defensive end. Pacers finally won the rebounding battle and won the game on the road. Surprise surprise.