PDA

View Full Version : QOD; Is Roster Set for the Future?

Will Galen
05-18-2004, 09:17 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_040517.html

Is Roster Set for the Future?

QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner
Q. I like to look ahead to figure out what the Pacers might look like in years to come. Who do the Pacers have coming up as free agents this year? Will they be hard to sign or are the Pacers going to let them go and pick up players off of the free-agent market? (From Jamie in Peru, IN)

A. Donnie Walsh has, once again, done a masterful job of team-building. Only three players will be free agents this summer – Kenny Anderson, Jamison Brewer and James Jones – which means the nucleus of the team can be kept intact. Anthony Johnson has an option to become a free agent, but it doesn’t seem likely he’ll exercise it, given his prominent place in the rotation. The Pacers could lose a player in the NBA Expansion Draft on June 22. Assuming Johnson opts to remain in Indiana, the Pacers will be able to protect eight players (who are under contract). That means four players with contracts will be exposed. Just who those four will be is uncertain, but Charlotte can only select one. Seven players are signed through at least 2005-06, including Jermaine O’Neal, Ron Artest, Al Harrington, Jonathan Bender, Jeff Foster and Fred Jones The flip side of having an intact nucleus is the absence of salary-cap space to make substantial moves on the free-agent market. But that’s a small price to pay (or not, as the case may be) to have such a well-constructed roster.
-----

It's interesting to learn that James Jones is a free agent. There are sites on the Internet listing him as under contract for next year.

So what does that mean for the Pacers in the expansion draft? Well I think 1 of 3 things could happen. The Pacer's lose Brezac. The Pacer's lose Johnson. Or the Pacer's don't lose anybody.

It all boils down to who the Pacer's protect.

Free agents who can't be chosen by Charlotte
J.Jones
Anderson
Brewer

If the Pacer's protect these 8 . . .
JO
Artest
Harrington
Tinsley
Foster
F. Jones
Bender
Reggie

. . . they will leave these palyers unprotected.

Brezac
Pollard
Croshere
Johnson

If that were the case Charlotte would snap up Brezac.

When Jose did his post's on the expansion draft, him and Peck were two that figured the Pacer's would lose Brezac. However I look for the Pacer's to protect Brezac and leave Reggie unprotected. Remember Bird will be the one with the final word on the matter, and he will do what he thinks best.

Pollard, Croshere, and Reggie all make to much money for Charlotte to pick them, and in Reggie's case he is to old. That leaves Johnson. Since Johnson is a free agent, if were taken he would become a free agent.

If the Pacer's want to keep Johnson they will instruct him to opt out of his contract so they can then resign him. It will be intersting to see what Bird does.

Reggie4Three
05-18-2004, 09:33 AM
I don't think the Pacers would be willing to risk leaving Reggie unprotected, but you never know. If Charlotte doesn't see many players they like, they could always threaten to take Reggie figuring that he'll probably retire before playing for a new team and they'll get the cap space. Even if he played for them, he comes off the books after next year, I think.

sweabs
05-18-2004, 09:35 AM
:dead:
I don't even want to think of Reggie playing for another team. I could never see it happening though - the Pacers wouldn't risk it.

diego
05-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Quite simply Reggie would never play for another team, he would retire first. Charlotte would be dumb enough to make that move anyways.

PaceBalls
05-18-2004, 10:08 AM
That's what I've been saying all along, Charlotte wont take Reggie, cause they know he will retire, unless they just really wanna screw over the Pacers for some reason. what it really comes down to is what Reggie thinks about the whole thing and would go along with it. I just cant see Charlotte screwing Reggie and the Pacers over out of spite. I am completely sure if they did do that they would have it worked out with Charlotte in the first place anyway, which could result in a sort of blackmail for a pick maybe. I have complete faith in Donnie Walsh that he will work it out perfectly.

sixthman
05-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Unless the Pacers don't mind losing Brezec, I think the Pacers will make an arrangement ahead of time with the Bobcats.

diego
05-18-2004, 11:23 AM
I just dont think the Pacers are that concerned with losing Brezec. IMO they really like what Foster brings and he is young. He will be around for awhile. IMO if they ever made a move at center it would be via trade for a bigger body and still have foster as back up/starter. Brezec will never be an allstar starting caliber center.

I still think Charlotte would be more inclined to take Cro even with his contract as he provides a solid PF/SF with plenty of playoff experience and has shown an ability to adapt to many roles. He is professional, plays hard, a good rebounder, can knock down a three pointer, and can get to the hoop. Granted he is no allstar, but he would be a solid fit for them.

I think people make too big a deal about his salary and them not wanting it....but if we can manage his salary and still pay big dollars to JO, Ron, and Reggie, then they will have no problem fitting Croshere into a salary cap.

PaceBalls
05-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Taking Croshere would really **** off the Bobcat fans, but in reality yer right, he would be a great addition to a that new team. He still has at least 5-6 good years left, and is a smart player. I guess I would really like to see him have a big role on a team as possibly even a starter, cause we know he can do it.

Zesty
05-18-2004, 12:26 PM
The problem for Charlotte initially taking Cro is that their cap is set at 66% of the cap for the rest of the teams in the league, so even though we are able to manage his contract, it becomes a bigger burden on a team with less wiggle room.

indygeezer
05-18-2004, 12:38 PM
A sneaky thought creeps into the mind of Geezer.

Reggie retires. Pacers protect Brezec. During training camp...Reggie un-retires...ala Jordan. We win! :pepper: :pepper:

Will Galen
05-18-2004, 02:09 PM
I think people make too big a deal about his salary and them not wanting it....but if we can manage his salary and still pay big dollars to JO, Ron, and Reggie, then they will have no problem fitting Croshere into a salary cap.

Croshere will make $8,260,000 next year. Charlotte has to field a team of at least 12 players next year. Their cap will be right at $30,000,000.

What does the math tell you?

It says to me the Pacers 10th man isn't going to go to Charlotte and be the center piece of their team. That's what he would be!

Plus, said people in Charlotte are saying they want young players with with short contracts.

Will Galen
05-18-2004, 02:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/draft_central_expansion_rules_summary.html

SUMMARY OF EXPANSION DRAFT RULES

A. Player Selection

The Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft will take place on June 22 (if the NBA Finals extend to seven games, it will be June 23), prior to the 2004 NBA Draft on June 24.

The Bobcats will select a minimum of 14 players who are under contract or restricted free agents for the 2004-05 season.

The Bobcats may select no more than one player from each team.

The Bobcats can only select players that are left unprotected by an NBA team.

Each of the 29 NBA teams may protect a maximum of eight players on its roster who are under contract or are restricted free agents at the conclusion of the 2003-04 season.

Each of the 29 NBA teams will designate the players on its roster who are eligible for selection by the Bobcats.

Each of the 29 NBA teams must designate at least one player on its roster to be eligible for selection by the Bobcats, even if the team does not have eight players under contract or as restricted free agents for the 2004-05 season.

Any player under contract selected by the Bobcats will immediately be placed on the Bobcats roster.

Any eligible restricted free agent selected by the Bobcats shall immediately become an unrestricted free agent.

Unrestricted free agents are not eligible to be protected nor are they eligible to be selected by the Bobcats.

B. Pre-Expansion Draft Trades
Teams will be permitted to enter into pre-Expansion Draft trades in which Charlotte agrees to select or not select certain unprotected players.

C. Salary Cap
Charlotte will be permitted to select players in the Expansion Draft without regard to the Salary Cap.

Charlotte will have a Salary Cap in its first season equal to 66% of the Salary Cap applicable to the rest of the league and a Salary Cap in its second season equal to 75% of the Salary Cap applicable to the rest of the league.

Charlotte will be permitted to sign any restricted free agent it selects in the Expansion Draft using the same “Bird,” “Early Bird” or “Non-Bird” Exception that the player’s prior team would have had.

Compensation paid to a selected player under a contract protected for lack of skill will be excluded from Charlotte’s Team Salary if the player’s contract is terminated (via the waiver procedure) prior to the start of the 2004-05 season.

A team with a Team Salary above the Salary Cap will receive a Trade Exception to replace a player (other than a restricted free agent) selected from its unprotected list.

D. Post-Expansion Draft Transactions
A team will not be permitted to reacquire a player that it loses in the Expansion Draft prior to the expiration of one year from the date of the Expansion Draft, unless the player is waived and not claimed by any other team.

Slick Pinkham
05-18-2004, 02:48 PM
With only 66% of the NBA cap to spend, it woulsdbe surprising if they pick ANY player with a salary over 5 million.

If they do pick a high salary guy, he had better be a go-to player (Mashburn at 9+ million?) and even then they will have to load up on minimum salary vets and rookies.

Sure they could pick a guy to trade him, but it's hard to GIVE AWAY high salary guys.

Austin doesn't have to worry about househunting in Charlotte. Neither does Reggie.

Kegboy
05-18-2004, 05:33 PM
See, this is why it's so important for us to win a title. Reggie can retire, then we can keep PB. :pepper: :dance:

Seriously, I wouldn't be opposed to Reggie talking like he might retire, regardless of how the season ends. Then we can leave him open, and no way Charlotte will take on his $5M contract for nothing.

And I wholeheartedly agree on PB. If we leave him open, Charlotte will take him. Frankly, I'd like it if we could give them our 1st pick to buy them off. There's nobody in this draft that's worth a damn.

Diamond Dave
05-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Well pertaining to our teams future roster I believe we are very close. Things I would like to see improved: Backup center position, Scott Pollard doesn't cut it and I don't think he will. Kelvin Cato would be nice but pricy. I don't have the answer I just would like someone more consistent than Polly.

Also backup shooting guard, we're gonna run into a problem here. Reggie IMO should be moved to the bench, hopefully voluntarily. This leaves two bench players wanting to start. Option 1: Move artest to 2guard and let Al start at the 3. Option 2: Let Fred move up to 2guard and have him develop into a consistent offensive threat.

Option 2 will not fly with Al, not any more. But to go with Option 1 would be considerably stunting the basketball growth of Fred Jones.

Now I don't want to lose Al, I would much rather lose Bender. Still I think only Hoosiers value Bender enough to think of getting any proven player in return for him. We do however have a longterm solution at small forward and we still need a longterm backup shooting guard (Reggie won't be around for much longer). Considering we have a stockpile of forwards I think maybe this year it might be our best choice to trade Al. He would get the most value to fill two gaps while having lesser players to step in his place. Its not a fair shake for us pacer fans but Al will not accept the bench any longer and unfortunately he is our most tradeable commodity.

indygeezer
05-18-2004, 05:58 PM
They won't want our pick. 1st rounders are gauranteed money for 3 years. One pick lower than ours is not gauranteed money.

obnoxiousmodesty
05-18-2004, 06:07 PM
While we're talking about the future roster, what about James Jones or Jamison Brewer? I don't know much about JJ, but I did like most of what I saw of JB. Should the Pacers attempt to re-sign either of them this summer or let them go?

beast23
05-18-2004, 06:09 PM
The Pacers might lose PB. But they might also lose AJ.

AJ has a low salary and only for one more year, plus he has played a vital role for one of the best teams in the league. He has proven playoff experience.

I think it is guaranteed that Kenny will not re-sign with the Pacers. Once the season is over, he will say good riddance.

That means we have Tinsley. Freddie has played a little PG and Artest is capable of bringing the ball up a few times a game in a pinch. But we would definitely be hurting for another PG.

I'd say the hell with PB, let him go if the Bobcats want him. They certainly wouldn't choose the big contracts of either Pollard or Croshere above PB.

If Reggie retires, then I think the protected player would be AJ, not PB. Otherwise, we are not only looking for an SG and a possible center in the off season, we are forced to look for a PG (if not two PGs).

And the Bobcats will not do us the favor of taking our first round draft choice.

I think it is almost guaranteed that we WILL lose a player.

Kegboy
05-18-2004, 07:26 PM
They won't want our pick. 1st rounders are gauranteed money for 3 years. One pick lower than ours is not gauranteed money.

I know, that's why I want to get rid of it. :D

Kegboy
05-18-2004, 07:31 PM
The Pacers might lose PB. But they might also lose AJ.

AJ has a low salary and only for one more year, plus he has played a vital role for one of the best teams in the league. He has proven playoff experience.

I think it is guaranteed that Kenny will not re-sign with the Pacers. Once the season is over, he will say good riddance.

That means we have Tinsley. Freddie has played a little PG and Artest is capable of bringing the ball up a few times a game in a pinch. But we would definitely be hurting for another PG.

I'd say the hell with PB, let him go if the Bobcats want him. They certainly wouldn't choose the big contracts of either Pollard or Croshere above PB.

If Reggie retires, then I think the protected player would be AJ, not PB. Otherwise, we are not only looking for an SG and a possible center in the off season, we are forced to look for a PG (if not two PGs).

And the Bobcats will not do us the favor of taking our first round draft choice.

I think it is almost guaranteed that we WILL lose a player.

If you saw PB in the preseason, you wouldn't be talking like that.

AJ's a nice player, no matter what some may think. But he's only got a year left and's getting up there in age. He's not in the team's long term plans, while Brezec may very well be.

Peck
05-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Here's the link to our discussions about this from earlier.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1427

BTW, Will's argument about Reggie being exposed makes logical sense. However when dealing with Reggie & the Indiana franchise you really have to take logic & throw it out the window.

Will Galen
05-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Here's the link to our discussions about this from earlier.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1427

BTW, Will's argument about Reggie being exposed makes logical sense. However when dealing with Reggie & the Indiana franchise you really have to take logic & throw it out the window.

I don't see Bird being sentimental about Reggie. Walsh yes, Bird no, and he's reportedly in charge.

bulletproof
05-18-2004, 09:09 PM
I don't see Bird being sentimental about Reggie. Walsh yes, Bird no, and he's reportedly in charge.

You keep saying that, but that's not exactly the situation. First, Donnie and Larry don't work in a vacuum from one another. They work in tandem and pretty much see eye-to-eye on most things. Larry would certainly defer to Donnie if he felt strongly about something because he holds him in the highest regard. It's not about "who's in charge." It's not like that at all. Secondly, Donnie is still doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to managing the team. Larry's still learning the ropes, so to speak.

Will Galen
05-18-2004, 10:59 PM

You keep saying that, but that's not exactly the situation. First, Donnie and Larry don't work in a vacuum from one another. They work in tandem and pretty much see eye-to-eye on most things. Larry would certainly defer to Donnie if he felt strongly about something because he holds him in the highest regard. It's not about "who's in charge." It's not like that at all. Secondly, Donnie is still doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to managing the team. Larry's still learning the ropes, so to speak.

I understand your point, but come on, what does Larry learning the ropes have to do with protecting 8 players?

bulletproof
05-19-2004, 01:32 AM

I understand your point, but come on, what does Larry learning the ropes have to do with protecting 8 players?

It has to do with the fact that you have it in your mind that "Larry will have the final say" on the expansion draft and everything it seems. And I'm saying it isn't like that. It's not about who's in charge. Donnie and Larry will decide who's protected together. And if Donnie wants Reggie protected, Reggie will be protected. Larry would defer to him.

indygeezer
05-19-2004, 07:43 AM
Reggie will be protected just to show him the same loyalty he is showing them. It would tarnish the fact if he played 18 years with the same team but " yeah but he was unprotected that last year". No, he didn't pull a Payton/Malone on the P's and they will show the same level of committment to him.

Will Galen
05-19-2004, 08:35 AM
What's funny about this thread is we are doing a lot of auguring . . . okay giving our opinions on who the Pacer's will protect and who they won't and we may never know.

Of course if Charlotte takes one of the Pacer players we will know, but the NBA doesn't make the protected lists available to the public, so unless there is a leak we won't know squat.

Of course there is always some leaks, but that doesn't mean the Pacers list will leak.

I suppose we are just gonna have to wait and see what happens. :laugh:

Will Galen
05-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Reggie will be protected just to show him the same loyalty he is showing them. It would tarnish the fact if he played 18 years with the same team but " yeah but he was unprotected that last year". No, he didn't pull a Payton/Malone on the P's and they will show the same level of committment to him.

I just don't see why the Pacer's would protect Reggie and why he would expect them to! Not when they don't have to protect him!

Reggie's not only to old, his contract is not only to big, he could also retire and leave Charlotte out $12 million.

For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended. He continued to receive his salary for the 94-95 and 95-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons. It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the
player after he has retired.

Since Walsh knew the expansion draft was coming up when he signed Reggie I figure Reggie gets paid regardless if he retire's or not. That means Charlotte isn't going to pick Reggie, have him retire and then have to pay him the final two years of his contract. ($12 million)

If Walsh has this poison pill in Reggie's contract, and I think he does, it would also mean Reggie's in on it and okay with not being protected.

I now think if the Pacer's lose anyone it will be Johnson if he doesn't opt out.