PDA

View Full Version : Heat players GUARANTEE victory in Game 6!

Hicks
05-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Link (http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/147260-7343-102.html)

Heat players guarantee Game 6 victory

Associated Press
May 17, 2004

MIAMI -- The Miami Heat feel as if they've faced elimination all season -- and averted it every time.

They expect to do it again Tuesday night.

The Heat trail 3-2 in their best-of-seven playoff series against the Indiana Pacers. Game 6 is Tuesday in Miami, where the Heat have won 18 consecutive games.

Dwyane Wade and Malik Allen guaranteed that the series would return to Indiana for a deciding game.

Why such a promise?

"This is where we've been all year, with a lot of people doubting us," Wade said. "We believe we can win."

Especially at home, where the Heat are more efficient on offense, more stifling on defense and play with more energy and intensity.

The result has been one of the best home-court advantages in the league. The Heat haven't lost at AmericanAirlines Arena since March 2.

"Everyone wants to go down and win there," Pacers forward Al Harrington said. "I think it would be a nice place to end it, stop their streak down there. That's the type of team we are: we like to ruin stuff for people, so that's what we like to gun for."

While the Heat must win to extend the series, the Pacers could lose and return home for Game 7. But that's not a scenario they want to think about.

After all, the pressure then would shift from the young and inexperienced Heat to the team with the NBA's best record in the regular season.

"You don't want to put that pressure on your back," said All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal, who has scored 88 points in the last three games. "Those guys have nothing to lose. Everybody kind of counted those guys out from the start. If we don't go out and match the energy and play the way we're supposed to play, we're vulnerable to lose. But I don't see that being a problem."

The Heat have been counted out before.

They lost their first seven games, prompting many to question Pat Riley's decision to hand his coaching duties over to Stan Van Gundy.

Under the first-year coach, Miami improved to 25-36 in March but still was figured a long shot to make the postseason.

Then Wade got healthy, Lamar Odom proved he could be a complete player and the Heat staged a late surge to earn the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The team that lost 57 games a year ago went 17-4 down the stretch to return to the postseason for the first time in three years.

"This team has played from behind all year," Van Gundy said. "We played from behind in the standings to get into the playoffs. We've played from behind in the standings to get the home court. We've played from behind even here in the postseason.

"I don't think there will be any panic on our part. We've been here and we know what we're up against. We're not trying to win two games. It's about winning one game on our home floor or against a very good team and then you go from there."

The Heat faced elimination in the opening round against New Orleans after the Hornets forced a Game 7 in Miami.

The Heat won handily, but dug themselves a quick hole with two lopsided losses in Indiana to start the second round. They rebounded with two wins at home to even the series but lost again on the road to setup another must-win situation.

"This group has nothing to lose and everything to gain," Odom said. "It's a great position to be in. Even though we're down, we're at home and we have our fans behind us. We've been in this position all year. It's been like this to make the playoffs, to move up and get home court, to beat New Orleans and now to stay alive.

"It's just one test after another. Hopefully, we can pass this test, too."

-----------------------

:laugh: Oh man are they ever asking to get beat tomorrow. :laugh:

MSA2CF
05-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Is it just me or does anyone get sick of all these Joe Namath copycats? :laugh:

After that, I think no one else should be allowed to openly guarantee that his/their team will win a game.

Shade
05-17-2004, 10:20 PM
I don't see any quotes that "guarantee" anything. :confused:

Hicks
05-17-2004, 10:21 PM
I don't see any quotes that "guarantee" anything. :confused:

Nor I, however beside being the headline and the article saying that Wade and Allen did in fact do so, I ran with it. If the Associated Press is lying, then I got it wrong.

Suaveness
05-17-2004, 10:36 PM
I know I did see Wade guarentee it... don't remember where though. But I do know he said that they would win.

indygeezer
05-17-2004, 10:39 PM
"...nothing to lose..." Bullshipping spind doctors. They have EVERYTHING to lose. They go from being America's sweethwert to just another group of over-acheiving Cinderella's. They go from an afterthought to stardom and back down...they go from a house full of screaming fans back to half empty stadium with fans sitting on their hands waiting for you to prove it again. They go from having a house where they can't be beat back to having a house of cards. In one game. They MUST WIN tomorrow's game or lose that aura of invincability at home. They lose that and suddenly they become another team that can be beaten at home and never wins on the road. THey lose the modicum of respect they are starting to gain...they lose the blatantly high hopes for next year...free agents, draft picks, it all becomes a shadow once again.

Nothing to lose??? BS They have everything to lose. They have as much if not more pressure on them as anybody. They have to win.

ROCislandWarrior
05-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Good!

That is Bulltien board material

Rookie's :unimpressed:

Roaming Gnome
05-17-2004, 11:09 PM
"...nothing to lose..." Bullshipping spind doctors. They have EVERYTHING to lose. They go from being America's sweethwert to just another group of over-acheiving Cinderella's. They go from an afterthought to stardom and back down...they go from a house full of screaming fans back to half empty stadium with fans sitting on their hands waiting for you to prove it again. They go from having a house where they can't be beat back to having a house of cards. In one game. They MUST WIN tomorrow's game or lose that aura of invincability at home. They lose that and suddenly they become another team that can be beaten at home and never wins on the road. THey lose the modicum of respect they are starting to gain...they lose the blatantly high hopes for next year...free agents, draft picks, it all becomes a shadow once again.

Nothing to lose??? BS They have everything to lose. They have as much if not more pressure on them as anybody. They have to win.

Excellent post!

Hicks
05-17-2004, 11:36 PM
I too agree with indygeezer. They have EVERYTHING to lose. They can't have it both ways; right now the talk is that if we lose tomorrow, the pressure's all on us in Game 7. Well that means that right now the pressure is on them, but no one talks like it's that way.

Besides, if they lose, they go home. What else is there to lose?

ChicagoJ
05-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Besides, if they lose, they go home.

Yeah, that's pretty much my definintion of "everything to lose."

:unimpressed: & :rolleyes: @ :heat:

Does everybody remember TNT's original "You win, or you go home" commericals with Alonzo (pre-Kidney disease?) The Heat always lost pretty early in the playoffs every year that commercial ran, and I always savored the irony of that commercial later in the playoffs, after Alonzo had already gone home for the umpteenth time. Here's Alonzo announcing "You win, or you go home" as the Pacers and Knicks prepare for Game #5 of the ECF. :devil:

Diamond Dave
05-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Amazing what a few wins can do for ya. After game 2 it was "well they are a very talented team and we can just do our best." and "Well win or lose our team has accomplished alot and were happy to be where we are" and "their defense is so good and so is their bench, they have so many options." But now they guarentee victories? Oh well can't blame them its statements like these that rile up the home fans. Still at this point in this round of the playoffs what team could actually guarentee a win and believe it?

birdman
05-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Al always has the best quotes :laugh:

"Everyone wants to go down and win there," Pacers forward Al Harrington said. "I think it would be a nice place to end it, stop their streak down there. That's the type of team we are: we like to ruin stuff for people, so that's what we like to gun for."

DisplacedKnick
05-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Well, since the EC doesn't have any player suspensions to talk about, I guess they need to make something up.

Players thinking they're gonna win a game is neither new or upsetting - apparently the AP thinks it's news.

BTW - Did anyone read the piece with the headline: "Without Hamilton, Pistons Lose Series" ?

Well duh. Without Wallace, or Wallace, they lose. Without Kidd, Martin or RJ, (even Scalabrine) the Nets lose.

Is there some requirement about Sportswriting that says articles have to be stupid?

ChicagoJ
05-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Is there some requirement about Sportswriting that says articles have to be stupid?

Yes.

It goes hand-in-hand with the requirement that sportswriters are professional journalists, which is exaggerated because many professional journalists have never played, coached, or been involved with in any way, the sports they pretend to be experts on.

Whenever this topic comes up, I always think of Sam Malone's brief third-career as a television sports anchor... when he thinks he needs to do a rap song in the mode of the Super Bowl Shuffle, hell just listen because any description I give the "groin injury rap" just isn't justice...

http://cheers.tvheaven.com/sounds/groin_rap.wav

Anthem
05-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Bump.

:laugh:

Shade
05-18-2004, 11:38 PM
:devil:

Suaveness
05-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Heat who? :devil:

JOneal7
05-19-2004, 09:08 AM
hah! So much for that gaurantee! LMAO...
and yeah you should have seen the fans. It was lmao so funny.
they were all mad and stuff. I'm like There's always the marlins! lol
i didn't stoop to the level of the sol :devil: :laugh: