PDA

View Full Version : Bennett Salvatore: Referee with Conviction or is that with a Conviction?

BigMac
05-17-2004, 02:42 AM
I really do not like this guy but this goes to show he is definitely an honest and trustworthy king of guy. And I know it's old news but I will find more stuff on this guy. He should not be allowed to continue refereeing because of this and he's just a lousy official. :laugh:

Referee sentenced to probation and fine for tax fraud

By Associated Press

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- NBA referee Bennett Salvatore has been sentenced to a year of probation, 150 hours of community service and fined $500 for his role in an airline ticket scam.
The 50-year-old Stamford resident pleaded guilty on July 26 to filing a false tax return with the Internal Revenue Service for the tax year 1993.
Salvatore was one of about a dozen NBA referees accused of not reporting income when they were reimbursed for first-class airline tickets after buying less-expensive tickets, prosecutors said.
The referees' union contract allows them to downgrade their first-class tickets to coach and keep the difference as a way of supplementing their incomes. But they are required to report the extra income to the IRS.
Federal prosecutors in New Haven said Salvatore failed to report about $39,000 he received from downgrading his airline tickets. According to statements made in U.S. District Court, Salvatore obtained fake receipts for first-class tickets from a travel agency in Columbia, S.C. He then submitted those receipts to the NBA to verify that he had flown first-class, when he really flew coach, prosecutors said.
At least 11 other NBA officials have pleaded guilty to similar charges.

Peck
05-17-2004, 03:47 AM
He is the worst referee in organized sports.

BigMac
05-17-2004, 08:49 AM

I definitely agree and couldn't have said it better myself.

Unclebuck
05-17-2004, 08:55 AM
Unfair to just pick on Bennett. There were probably 15 maybe 20 refs punished for the same thing a few years ago.

Having said that Bennett is one of the worst of the good refs. What I mean he is a guy who has worked and will work NBA Finals games

ChicagoJ
05-17-2004, 09:22 AM
You guys are just saying this because Mike "Fuzz-head" Mathis finally retired.

Many things Pacers fans now blame on Dick "Cyclops" Bavetta were really Mathis' transgressions.

Granted, Bennett is not very good. I think the NBA should be allowed to clone Jim Clark, though.

Any good officiating thread needs one of these:

:dancingbavetta:

Unclebuck
05-17-2004, 09:43 AM
For the record:

It was Mike Mathis who called the flagrant foul on Reggie with a couple seconds left of game 7 of the ECF in NY 1994

It was Jess Kersey who called the 4 point play in 1999.

It was Bevetta who called a terrible game #6 against the Pacers in 1999.

But it was also Bevetta who helped in game #3 of the Bulls series, after Pippen was allowed to mandhandle Jackson in the first two games, Bevetta called two fouls on Pippen early in game #3, and that effected the whole series

ABADays
05-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Trust me, downgrading tickets happens ALL the time in sports. Probably corporate America too.

beast23
05-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Trust me, downgrading tickets happens ALL the time in sports. Probably corporate America too.This was a stupid way to handle the travel situation.... no checks and balances.

Everyone should be provided a COACH ticket and informed that the league will reimburse expenses if the ticket holder chooses to upgrade to first class.

Do it the other way around, and I guarantee you that most will not take the time to upgrade.

Then, at the conclusion of the season, provide a lump sum payment equal to provide extra income for the tickets that were not upgraded to first class.

That way, they are already nailed. If the ref wants it at the end of the season, then it will automatically be reported by the NBA as income.

BigMac
05-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Unfair to just pick on Bennett. There were probably 15 maybe 20 refs punished for the same thing a few years ago.

Having said that Bennett is one of the worst of the good refs. What I mean he is a guy who has worked and will work NBA Finals games

I disagreewith your first comment. It's very fair to pick on just Bennett. This was my thread and I hate the guy and the intent of this thread was just to pick on Bennett Salvatore. And the article states how many others were caught on this.

Roaming Gnome
05-17-2004, 11:49 PM

No, Walt Coleman (http://www.provencehome.org/refsuck/walt_coleman.htm) (NFL Referee) is!

Yes, this guy is the same guy that totally hosed the Colts this past season.

Anthem
05-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Trust me, downgrading tickets happens ALL the time in sports. Probably corporate America too.

A lot of people don't pay all of their taxes and don't think of it as "cheating." How many people kept track of their online purchases from last year and paid sales tax on them? While all of the refs did it, I'd be surprised if half even knew it was illegal.

The US tax code is so screwed up that you could spend months looking for new taxes that you are "obligated" to pay. Most of us don't, though.