PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's official: the Lakers have already won the championship...

bulletproof
05-17-2004, 12:59 AM
I live in LA and went to a couple of bars last night. I overheard several people say that there's no one who can beat the Lakers now. Same kind of talk I heard out here after they signed Malone and Payton. Gotta love those Lakers fans. :unimpressed:

Hicks
05-17-2004, 01:26 AM
The depressing thing is it's hard to argue too much. I think the Spurs were easily the best matchup for the Lakers, and they got beat 4 in a row. Does anyone really think the Pistons or Pacers or Timberwolves or Kings are gonna do it? I don't. I'd like to think the Kings could, but they're big time chokers and would come up short.

bulletproof
05-17-2004, 01:36 AM
The depressing thing is it's hard to argue too much.

You're right, of course. I just wish they'd learn to show a little humility and graciousness. Their sense of entitlement is ugly.

Diamond Dave
05-17-2004, 01:54 AM
If we make to the finals and are even swept by the lakers I'll still be proud of the pacers. Basically I won't feel we were competing in a fair competition as the opposition is not a team that has molded and trained to be a basketball team for the ages but rather one that great players flocked to just to be in LA or to win a cheap ring.

I really can't stand any laker player, especially Rick Fox. Cocky b@stard has the strongest hands in the league holding onto Shaq's jersey riding him to the top. :mad: :unimpressed:

In the end lets hope that after this year Shaq, Malone, and Payton retires, and Kobe is traded to another team and exposed. Then maybe we can get back to competitive "everyone has a chance" basketball.

able
05-17-2004, 04:55 AM
I'M convinced that that Pacers CAN beat the Lakers in a series.

Yes this year.

We only need to get there.

wintermute
05-17-2004, 06:17 AM
the thing with the lakers is, they can fall apart at any moment and give games away. conversely, they can just as quickly get it together again and just plain dominate.

unfortunately (for us), their history indicates that once they get going in the playoffs, they're not likely to fall apart soon.

i almost wish that they have a cakewalk in the west finals, just so that the pacers will have a bigger chance of catching them vulnerable in the finals ;)

flip
05-17-2004, 07:23 AM
LA shouldn't have won the first round. did the hail mary **** shots and made it thru the second round. don't think they will do that if they get to play Minny. after watching how the east teams have been playing, i feel east has a good chance of winning it all.

I'm betting it'll be Pacers and Minny - with Pacers in six.

Hicks
05-17-2004, 11:54 AM
I'M convinced that that Pacers CAN beat the Lakers in a series.

Yes this year.

We only need to get there.

Uhh... care to elaborate? :peak:

I can even see us doing OK with Payton, Bryant (due to RonRon), and Malone, but beyond Pollard we have nothing to deal with Shaq. Jeff is just not strong enough to hang with him (but oddly Cro has been; one big reason I got pissed over the Darvin Ham ******** in another thread).

Shaq would just average 30+ pts and 15+ rebounds, and we'll lose. I've seen it before.

Suaveness
05-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Yeah...remember the first game we played against LA this year? KILLED. And that is what is goign to happen to everyone else. :cry:

DisplacedKnick
05-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Minny's got a shot and the Pacers have a shot just because of home court - the Lakers, despite winning in SA, are a totally different team on the road.

I'm just hoping it isn't NJ in the finals. If it's them vs the Lakers, would there be any point in watching? The Nets have had their shot - time for someone else.

Bball
05-17-2004, 12:54 PM
, but beyond Pollard we have nothing to deal with Shaq.

Thank God we have Pollard to deal with Shaq then.

:confused:

Wait... Pollard? :o

:(

:cry:

-Bball

Unclebuck
05-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Shaq is not as good as he was in the 2000 Finals. Kobe is better though

Hope that judge in eagle Colorado is a Pacers fan. Schedule the trial for June, please

naptownmenace
05-17-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm telling you guys that the Lakers just aren't that good of a team.

hey didn't beat the Spurs in game six with superior defense - their defense was very porous - the Spurs couldn't hit their wide open shots.

This Lakers team is very beatable, the Spurs shooters just went flat at the most inopportune time. The Shaq of 2004 is no where near the Shaq of 2000 or even 2001. He still has the power and ability but he's a step slower and that makes him a tad bit easier to defend. Plus the Lakers don't have the patience (or selflessness) to pound it inside to him time after time.

I think the Pacers, with the homecourt advantage this time, would defeat them.

SycamoreKen
05-17-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm telling you guys that the Lakers just aren't that good of a team.

hey didn't beat the Spurs in game six with superior defense - their defense was very porous - the Spurs couldn't hit their wide open shots.

This Lakers team is very beatable, the Spurs shooters just went flat at the most inopportune time. The Shaq of 2004 is no where near the Shaq of 2000 or even 2001. He still has the power and ability but he's a step slower and that makes him a tad bit easier to defend. Plus the Lakers don't have the patience (or selflessness) to pound it inside to him time after time.

I think the Pacers, with the homecourt advantage this time, would defeat them.

I think that these are reasons that Sac. has a chance to beat them. Their defense isn't as good, but the Lakers aren't exactly the quickest team out there. If Sac. gets their running game going and hits open shots like the Spurs couldn't then they have a good chance of winning. Of course, they have to beat the Wolves first.

As for us playing them, why couldn't we beat them? Most people on here said we could match up with the Spurs, and they lost to the Lakers due to their bad shooting, not anything the Lakers really did. Our bigs are as good as what SA threw at Shaq. Heck, our bench is better than the Spurs bench too.

efx
05-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Our bench is better than the spurs but JO is not better than Duncan.

PistonsDynasty
05-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Pistons played the Lakers very well this year AND last year. This year we played them when they were deemed UNBEATABLE with the fab 4. WithOUT Sheed.

For some reason Mehmet Okur plays Shaq very well and forces Shaq outside with his J and 3point shot. Okur was also driving and forcing Shaq to foul. Shaq was in foul trouble both games. On the defensive end Memo held his own and had Ben behind him with help.

In Detroit I think the Pistons won by like 13 and in L.A. I think the Pistons lost by about 9.

Also I think Detroit has the size to match-up with L.A. Hell the Pistons might be bigger than L.A. Memo -7foot, Ben plays big, Elden 7foot, Sheed 7foot could all play Shaq in segments. Darko too :D joke'n

Tayshaun Prince is shall I say ..... the Kobe-stopper. The four games Prince has played L.A. he defended Kobe most of the time and did a damn good job on him. His 7-2 wing span gave Kobe fits.

If you contain Kobe and Shaq then it should be all gravey. I think the Pistons match-up very well with L.A. in my honest opinion. If the Pistons win game 7 then beat the Pacers , the title will be coming back to the East where it belongs.

SycamoreKen
05-17-2004, 08:48 PM
JO doesn't have to be better than Duncan, he just has to score more than he did.

Shade
05-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Pistons played the Lakers very well this year AND last year. This year we played them when they were deemed UNBEATABLE with the fab 4. WithOUT Sheed.

For some reason Mehmet Okur plays Shaq very well and forces Shaq outside with his J and 3point shot. Okur was also driving and forcing Shaq to foul. Shaq was in foul trouble both games. On the defensive end Memo held his own and had Ben behind him with help.

In Detroit I think the Pistons won by like 13 and in L.A. I think the Pistons lost by about 9.

Also I think Detroit has the size to match-up with L.A. Hell the Pistons might be bigger than L.A. Memo -7foot, Ben plays big, Elden 7foot, Sheed 7foot could all play Shaq in segments. Darko too :D joke'n

Tayshaun Prince is shall I say ..... the Kobe-stopper. The four games Prince has played L.A. he defended Kobe most of the time and did a damn good job on him. His 7-2 wing span gave Kobe fits.

If you contain Kobe and Shaq then it should be all gravey. I think the Pistons match-up very well with L.A. in my honest opinion. If the Pistons win game 7 then beat the Pacers , the title will be coming back to the East where it belongs.

No HCA = No Chance

Sorry.

sweabs
05-17-2004, 09:10 PM
I love how Pistons fans constantly say: WITHOUT SHEED, WITHOUT SHEED, WITHOUT SHEED.

P.S. I don't think he is staying for next year. Sounds like his decision is based on what his wife thinks...she'd probably rather live in New York (or Indiana...hahahaha).

Shade
05-17-2004, 09:55 PM
I love how Pistons fans constantly say: WITHOUT SHEED, WITHOUT SHEED, WITHOUT SHEED.

P.S. I don't think he is staying for next year. Sounds like his decision is based on what his wife thinks...she'd probably rather live in New York (or Indiana...hahahaha).

No kidding. Pistons fans are quickly becoming as arrogant as Lakers fans.

Suaveness
05-17-2004, 10:39 PM

No kidding. Pistons fans are quickly becoming as arrogant as Lakers fans.

Yes they are.

Diamond Dave
05-18-2004, 01:33 AM
I'm going to have to stick up for PistonsDynasty here. All he was doing was pointing out advantages that in his opinion the Pistons have in a matchup with the lakers. And as far as being arrogant goes, sure some fans from every team (including ours) are arrogant. But surely saying that that he believes his team has a chance is not. If it is I invite you to read the posts above.

But frankly I feel either team would put a good fight but in the end succumb to the lakers.

Steveman
05-18-2004, 02:31 AM
The Lakers won't win the title without a fight, that much I can guarantee ;)

PistonsDynasty
05-18-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm going to have to stick up for PistonsDynasty here. All he was doing was pointing out advantages that in his opinion the Pistons have in a matchup with the lakers. And as far as being arrogant goes, sure some fans from every team (including ours) are arrogant. But surely saying that that he believes his team has a chance is not. If it is I invite you to read the posts above.

But frankly I feel either team would put a good fight but in the end succumb to the lakers.

:hug:

I fail to see how I was being arrogant by noting surrender'n to the Lakers. I guess if you think your team can match-up with the Lakers then your arrogant.

sweabs
05-18-2004, 10:54 AM

I fail to see how I was being arrogant by noting surrender'n to the Lakers. I guess if you think your team can match-up with the Lakers then your arrogant.

Not at all - but I just find it funny how every Pistons argument is backed up the 2 words "without Sheed" or "with Sheed".

PistonsDynasty
05-18-2004, 04:25 PM

Not at all - but I just find it funny how every Pistons argument is backed up the 2 words "without Sheed" or "with Sheed".

If the Pistons can beat L.A. without Sheed then I think they can play them better with Sheed.

Millerartest
05-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Kings are primed to take out the Lakers. They've been waiting waiting waiting for the rematch from two years ago. Non-stop open jumpers off screen and rolls, and the Divac/Miller combination can slow down Shaq. Christie always does well against Bryant. Even Weber will look athletic playing against Malone.

Wolves also have a great shot because Garnett/Cassell/Sprewell can nearly cancel out the offensive damage of Shaq and Kobe. And Garnett is ready to take centerstage.

Pistons are the antithesis of the Lakers because they are not underacheivers, but overacheivers. Wallace is the antithesis of Shaq. Pistons would outwork the Lakers in every game. Brown would design a new stratagy to deal with Shaq. Even though these Pistons don't score much, they have some serious firepower that will explode against the laxadaisical West.

Pacers would also have a shot because Tinsley should be ready to run circles around Payton, Artest will slow down Bryant, Reggie will be ready to explode, Oneal will torch Malone because he's that much quicker than Duncan, and the Pacers can rotate Pollard/Corshere/Bender to hack Shaq which won't even matter because the Pacers will finally do what they should and that is run run run. Homecourt goes a long way too.

Not that the Heat would make it, but I think LA would be hard pressed to win in Miami without the officials on their side.

Just because the officials gave LA the benefit of the doubt in San Antonio doesn't mean that they're set to take it all. If the officials start the clock when they should, game 7 is in San Antonio and the Lakers may be history. They'll be lucky to be that lucky again and the competition isn't going to get any easier. If the Lakers are as cocky as their fans, they'll probably find themselves down 0-2 again no matter who they go up against.