PDA

View Full Version : Bender And Odom

Steveman
05-17-2004, 12:23 AM
Are we seeing some of Bender's furure potential in Lamar Odom? I mean, they are both tall, slender, athletic types, tho Bender has got a couple inches on Odom. They both can handle the ball, drive to the basket with authority, and hit the outside shot. Is it just me, or does anyone else see this?

Unclebuck
05-17-2004, 12:34 AM
I don't really see it. Yes they were drafted the same year Bender right after odom. Both are tall guys who are great athletes.

But Bender is a better long range shooter.

Odom is a much better ball handler and creator.

Those are two big differences off the top of my very tired head.

Hicks
05-17-2004, 01:24 AM
Sucks; I know that if LA hadn't, we would have drafted Odom instead (Read Larry Bird's book from 1999).

Can you imagine? Having Odom instead of JB right now?

flip
05-17-2004, 07:32 AM
It's hard to say those two names in the same sentance. Get real.

King Mob
05-17-2004, 07:43 AM
It's just you.

Odom is a poor man's KG, minus the defense. Odom was a 16,8 and 5 man out the box. Bender is still averaging triple singles in his what, 4th year?

DisplacedKnick
05-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Are we seeing some of Bender's furure potential in Lamar Odom? I mean, they are both tall, slender, athletic types, tho Bender has got a couple inches on Odom. They both can handle the ball, drive to the basket with authority, and hit the outside shot. Is it just me, or does anyone else see this?

Oh, absolutely!

IMO, Bender has great potential to be tall and skinny.

Since there's absolutely nothing else between the two that merits comparison, I won't.

ABADays
05-17-2004, 11:36 AM
C'mon . . . Bender shoots better with his right hand than Odom does!

Arcadian
05-17-2004, 12:54 PM
I see Odom as a point forward type of player rather than a scorer which is what Bender is.

Comparing Odom as a poor man's KG isn't fair to Odom either.

Tim
05-17-2004, 01:39 PM
What Bender needs a solid year of good health, and a healthy diet of minutes, to show what he can become. In the shorts stints that he has been healthy I think he has convinced most of us he is worth hanging onto.

Steveman
05-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Seems I may have been misunderstood. I know that Bender is no Odom, but in fairness, Bender has been sidelined with injuries most of his career so far.

What I'm saying is that if Bender can get his act together and live up to his potential, he and Odom would be simular players. That, of course, is subjective. They are both big men that can handle the ball, go to the hoop, and shoot the ball.

Anthem
05-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Seems I may have been misunderstood. I know that Bender is no Odom, but in fairness, Bender has been sidelined with injuries most of his career so far.

What I'm saying is that if Bender can get his act together and live up to his potential, he and Odom would be simular players. That, of course, is subjective. They are both big men that can handle the ball, go to the hoop, and shoot the ball.

Odom is and has always been the better passer. JB is, right now, an athletic freak of nature, but Odom has skill.

PaceBalls
05-17-2004, 08:47 PM
has there ever been a player who is the 8th man off the bench that had more expectations put on him?

People expect him to be wilt chamberlain and average at least a point a min or something. While he can do that, it's not gonna happen very often. Maybe if they ran the offense through him like they do JO and he played 40mpg 'yall would see it'