PDA

View Full Version : For once, I'm inclined to agree with TNT's Kenny Smith...

BostonConnection
05-16-2004, 11:09 PM
His theory about the KG/Peeler incident in today's T-Wolf/Kings game from the video of the first elbow incident is that Szczerbiak delivered a hit to Peeler on a screen, but Peeler mistakenly thought it was KG that did it. As a result, Peeler gives the first elbow to KG that ultimately results in the later incident where KG and Peeler exchange elbows (with Peeler getting tossed for the roundhouse elbow to KG's face).

After seeing it on the slow-mo replay, the theory makes sense. (Peeler was complaining to the refs when he got tossed that KG hit him earlier in the game)

sweabs
05-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Flashbacks of Ron Artest against Portland giving elbow to the face of Andersen I think? I believe he got suspended for that...

BostonConnection
05-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Of course the big issue for Kings fans is that if Peeler gets suspended for Game 7 that KG should be suspended too. It's a tough call - KG obviously delivers a deliberate elbow to Peeler, then Peeler retaliates with an even more flagrant (if that makes sense) roundhouse elbow to KG's head.

I just can't see the league suspending the MVP of the league in the most important game of Minny's series. I think Peeler will be out, but KG in.

TheSauceMaster
05-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Personally I think both should have gotten ejected.

BostonConnection
05-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Personally I think both should have gotten ejected. I bet in a regular season game they would've been. But given the ref's tendancy to favor established All-Stars when they make calls, particularly when the other player involved is a scrub, I guess I'm not surprised that KG was allowed to stay in the game.

However, just imagine if it was Ron involved in either end of that incident...we wouldn't see him in a Pacer uniform until next season! :rolleyes:

TheSauceMaster
05-16-2004, 11:26 PM
yep if Ron woulda done anything close to that you can bet the league office woulda had a field day.

ROCislandWarrior
05-16-2004, 11:59 PM
yep if Ron woulda done anything close to that you can bet the league office woulda had a field day.

Ron Artest's A$$, meet David Stern's Foot

sweabs
05-17-2004, 12:00 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking.
Which is why I compare this incident to when Ron hit Derek Andersen in the face I believe and got a 1-game suspension this year running down the baseline?
And even that could have been argued that it wasn't intentional - this was clearly intentional and Garnett instigated/retaliated which does not help matters...but c'mon...suspending the MVP?!?! Now that doesn't look good for the league :rolleyes: .

PaceBalls
05-17-2004, 02:51 AM
Do you really think the NBA would suspend the MVP in a game 7?

DisplacedKnick
05-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Do you really think the NBA would suspend the MVP in a game 7?

KG hasn't done anything to get suspended for. Peeler did. Shots to the head are looked at entirely different by the NBA.

BostonConnection
05-17-2004, 09:06 AM
I wonder if the league makes any differentiation between an elbow to the head vs a punch? In truth it shouldn't make any difference - you can be hurt by an elbow just as much as by a punch - but I don't know whether the league rules are specific to "punches" in their language.

You'd think they'd almost have to cover any kind of blow, otherwise players would be head-butting and elbowing each other as a way to get around the rules regarding throwing punches... :box:

NewYawk
05-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Of course the big issue for Kings fans is that if Peeler gets suspended for Game 7 that KG should be suspended too. It's a tough call - KG obviously delivers a deliberate elbow to Peeler, then Peeler retaliates with an even more flagrant (if that makes sense) roundhouse elbow to KG's head.

I just can't see the league suspending the MVP of the league in the most important game of Minny's series. I think Peeler will be out, but KG in.

If Peeler is suspended, then KG should be, according to the rules. If the NBA is unwilling to suspend KG, then Peeler should play too. If Peeler is supended and KG is not, then the game is rigged and it is YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE of the NBA dying a slow, pathetic death.

You have rules for a reason NBA. Bending them for TV ratings CHEAPENS YOUR SPORT!!!

DisplacedKnick
05-17-2004, 10:55 AM

If Peeler is suspended, then KG should be, according to the rules. If the NBA is unwilling to suspend KG, then Peeler should play too. If Peeler is supended and KG is not, then the game is rigged and it is YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE of the NBA dying a slow, pathetic death.

You have rules for a reason NBA. Bending them for TV ratings CHEAPENS YOUR SPORT!!!

The rule specifically states that elbow shots above the shoulders are automatic ejections while those below the shoulders are left to the discretion of the referee. So obviously, the rules do differentiate between what Peeler and Garnett did.

The rules say nothing about suspensions due to elbows - just about fighting/punches. Any suspensions from yesterday won't be according to the rules but at the league office's discretion.

IMO, Peeler knows full well that an elbow above the shoulders is viewed very differently by the league from elbows to the chest. Personally, he should get a night off and Garnett shouldn't but my guess is neither gets suspended.

ABADays
05-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Peeler was an absolute idiot for being so freaking obvious about it. For that reason alone he should be suspended.

sc
05-17-2004, 11:36 AM
KG will not be suspended. Remember this is the league that not only allowed Michael Jordan to throw a punch in the game but only called him for a personal foul. Not a techinical, not an ejection nor a suspension.

ChicagoJ
05-17-2004, 12:00 PM
I wonder if the league makes any differentiation between an elbow to the head vs a punch? In truth it shouldn't make any difference - you can be hurt by an elbow just as much as by a punch - but I don't know whether the league rules are specific to "punches" in their language.

You'd think they'd almost have to cover any kind of blow, otherwise players would be head-butting and elbowing each other as a way to get around the rules regarding throwing punches... :box:

They've gone out of thier way to define a punch as a closed fist (as opposed to slapping an opponent.)

Don't know what that means in this case, however.

I honestly thought Peeler was trying to return a jab to his KG's chest, and he happened to swing too high. Doesn't excuse it, I just don't think it was *as* malicious as others do.

My gut reaction is that Peeler gets suspended for making contact with KG's face. KG will get fined, nothing more.

Peeler gets today's :dunce: award.

sweabs
05-17-2004, 11:41 PM
My gut reaction is that Peeler gets suspended for making contact with KG's face. KG will get fined, nothing more.

Nice guess!
You were right on...Peeler suspended, and Garnett fined for $7500.
In my opinion, this was handled accordingly.

clownskull
05-18-2004, 08:20 AM
KG will not be suspended. Remember this is the league that not only allowed Michael Jordan to throw a punch in the game but only called him for a personal foul. Not a techinical, not an ejection nor a suspension.-------- that got me thinking. does anyone remember the game when jordan and reggie got into it and jordan chocked reggie?
reggie got ejected and jordan shot tech foul shots. it happend at msa.
jordan= the most protected player in the history of the game.

naptownmenace
05-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Nice guess!

Peeler started the entire altercation and got in two elbows - one to KG's gut and then later one to his face. The one thing no one has mentioned is that Peeler "walked up on" KG before KG popped him with the forearm in the chest. Peeler was looking for a fight and instigated it all.

He should've received two games and KG only deserved a fine.

sweabs
05-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Nice guess!

Peeler started the entire altercation and got in two elbows - one to KG's gut and then later one to his face. The one thing no one has mentioned is that Peeler "walked up on" KG before KG popped him with the forearm in the chest. Peeler was looking for a fight and instigated it all.

How are they gonna suspend him for a second game? Suspend him from going fishing??? :D .

Stryder
05-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Nice guess!

How are they gonna suspend him for a second game? Suspend him from going fishing??? :D .

If the Kings make the finals, then he'll be gone for Game 1.

If they do not, he is gone for the first game of the season next year.

sweabs
05-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Nice guess!

:laugh: I know...looks like it will be the latter of the 2 which was my point - :D .

ChicagoJ
05-18-2004, 10:24 AM
KG will not be suspended. Remember this is the league that not only allowed Michael Jordan to throw a punch in the game but only called him for a personal foul. Not a techinical, not an ejection nor a suspension.-------- that got me thinking. does anyone remember the game when jordan and reggie got into it and jordan chocked reggie?
reggie got ejected and jordan shot tech foul shots. it happend at msa.
jordan= the most protected player in the history of the game.

I remember that well. I believe Jordan also scratched Reggie in the face. Worst in-game refereeing decision I've ever seen. If I were Bo Hill, I would have pulled the team off the court in protest when Reggie was ejected and Jordan received no punishment and was allowed to complete the game. Suspending Jordan from the next game the Bulls played was improper justice... at the very least, they should have suspended him from the next Pacers/ Bulls game.

In honor of the underachieving 1992-1993 Pacers, I'm wearing my Malik Sealy tie today. :D

Hicks
05-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Nice guess!

:laugh: I know...looks like it will be the latter of the 2 which was my point - :D .

What if he loses game 7, then retires from basketball? :D

sweabs
05-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Nice guess!

What if he loses game 7, then retires from basketball? :D

:rotflmao:
Then they revoke his ticket for the next game he wishes to watch.