PDA

View Full Version : Artest trying to take Wade "out" chatter from the heat. And Reggie s

Unclebuck
05-15-2004, 10:28 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-heatnotes15bmay15,0,1159344.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat

Heat limping slightly on way to Game 5

By Randall Mell
Staff Writer
Posted May 15 2004

MIAMI Heat coach Stan Van Gundy endured a few scares watching three starters hobble away from Friday's practice but happily reported none of the new injuries is serious.

Point guard Dwyane Wade left the workout after reserve center Wang Zhi-Zhi accidentally cracked him in the head with a flying elbow.

Forward Caron Butler limped off the floor with a sore right hip after colliding with center Brian Grant, who managed to avoid further injuring his dislocated right pinkie. Still, Grant left the court as a precaution.

Reserve forward Samaki Walker didn't practice because of the flu.

"Nothing major," Van Gundy said before his team left AmericanAirlines Arena to board a flight for Indianapolis for tonight's Game 5 showdown with the Pacers. "We didn't end up with a full complement [of players in practice]. You would like to have everybody, especially after a day off, but you can't make excuses at this point in the season. If they don't know what we are trying to do now, we haven't done our jobs."

Grant practiced with a metal splint on his right pinkie, which was injured at the end of the Heat's 100-88 Game 4 victory. He said it affects his ball-handling, but that he'll be fine catching, passing and shooting.

"I definitely will shoot it," Grant said. "I don't think it should hinder my game in any way. I'm going out with that mind-set."

Grant said the pinkie finger actually "flipped over" after he jammed it in a collision, and that team trainer Ron Culp tried to set it right on the court before taking him into the locker room.

Wade said he felt poorly even before Friday's workout.

"Dwyane had headaches coming into practice," Van Gundy said. "I noticed that in film sessions, that he wasn't feeling very good. Then he gets hit in the head in practice. That didn't help. I'm sure he'll be fine."

Wade said he'll be ready to go tonight.

Butler wasn't available after practice, but team officials said he left the training room looking fine.

"I'm sure if it was a game, he would have finished it out," Van Gundy said. "It was a little sore, and he didn't want to take any chances. I don't think you're going to keep these guys out of Game 5 of the playoffs."

Pushy Heat

Van Gundy sounded as amused as he was annoyed by Pacers coach Rick Carlisle's contention the Heat is getting away with too much pounding on center Jermaine O'Neal.

"Rick spent a lot of time in his [news] conference trying to set up the referees for Game 5, I guess," Van Gundy said. "A team everybody said wasn't big enough, or physical enough, to play with the Pacers, now I'm reading where we are beating them up. I find that laughable.

"They have shot 18 more free throws than us in the series. He said we are beating up on Jermaine O'Neal. Jermaine shot 43 free throws in four games. I don't know how many times Rick thinks he should be there. It's a typical trying to get a call in Game 5. I don't think that's giving NBA referees, especially those in the second round of the playoffs, enough credit. I don't think they are going to pick up the newspapers and say we have to call more fouls on Miami. I just don't think that's going to happen. But that's part of the gamesmanship of the playoffs."

Pushy Pacers

The Heat sounded unfazed by the Pacers' attempts to bully them in Game 4, though Van Gundy is wary of the possibility the Pacers might try to intentionally injure his best players.

"We are not going to be intimidated by it," Van Gundy said. "You are concerned when a guy like Ron Artest has made two pretty blatant efforts, one in each game, to hurt Dwyane [Wade]. I'm concerned by that. I'm sure the league is concerned by that, but it's not going to make us play the game any differently."

Artest appeared to tackle Wade, grabbing him on a drive late in Game 4.

Artest later said he was trying to hold on to Wade before the guard tumbled onto the floor.

"We just have to get off the ground and make free throws," Van Gundy said.

Obligations

Lamar Odom attended a friend's funeral in Las Vegas on the Heat's off-day on Thursday.

"Death is a part of life," he said. "These things that happen in basketball.

"Foul calls, getting booed, shooting an air ball to lose the game -- [all] that's really nothing."

Staff Writer Dave Hyde contributed to this report.

Unclebuck
05-15-2004, 10:30 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/basketball/8672277.htm

Posted on Sat, May. 15, 2004

C.W. GRIFFIN / HERALD STAFF
ON THE OFFENSIVE: Reggie Miller drives in Game 2, when he scored 19 points in only 18 minutes.

PACERS

Threat of Miller Time

The Pacers' Reggie Miller is averaging only 9.5 points in the Heat series, but the possibility of another of his heroic playoff games remains very real to Miami.

BY STEPHEN F. HOLDER

sholder@herald.com

INDIANAPOLIS - Spike Lee probably still shudders at the very mention of Reggie Miller's name. Then again, that's probably true for anyone who was fond of the Knicks in 1995, when Miller authored what might be the most awe-inspiring 8.9 seconds in NBA history.

Count the Heat's Rafer Alston, a New York teenager at the time, among those who still shake their heads at the memory of Miller's insane comeback.

''I was at some of those games in New York where he was hitting all those shots and making fun of Spike while he was at it,'' Alston said with a sigh, a hint of the crushed Knicks fan within.

Miller -- who will attempt to summon some of his postseason mojo when his Pacers play the Heat tonight in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference semifinals -- has not played this postseason like the player who will go down as one of the greatest playoff performers of all time. It's unlikely the 38-year-old Miller of today will find a way to reel off an astonishing eight points in 8.9 seconds the way he did in 1995 at stunned and silent Madison Square Garden.

But even though Miller is averaging only 9.5 points in the four games of this series, the sight of him with the ball in his hands late in games is still a downright frightening proposition.

`FEARLESS APPROACH'

''He has a completely fearless approach when it comes to situations late in games,'' Indiana coach Rick Carlisle said. ``He's just focused on one thing: Getting the ball in the basket. That's why he'll be a Hall of Fame player.''

Just ask Alston and the Heat. On Monday night, in the closing moments of Game 3, Alston could have sworn he was having a flashback to his mid-'90s nightmare when Miller buried a three-pointer -- Indiana's fourth in a span of 70 seconds -- to slice what had been a double-digit lead to four with 24.3 seconds left.

Keep in mind, this wasn't just any three-pointer. This was a catch-and-turn-and-shoot-with-a-hand-in-your-face-straddling-the-sideline three-pointer from the corner -- the kind no one has any business making.

''He was nowhere near squared up when he shot that,'' Heat forward Malik Allen said. 'That was a crazy shot. I was saying, `Please, God, not us!' '

''I thought it was going to be more Reggie Miller heroics,'' Alston said. ``He does that stuff just when you think you've taken them out of the game. I was ready to put my head down. I knew if he hit that, he was going to hit more.''

Fortunately for the Heat -- and for Alston's sanity -- that's where Miller's heroics ended.

While the Heat would like to see Miller's trend of modest offensive contributions continue, the Pacers are screaming for more from their most experienced postseason player. Miller has always risen to another level of greatness in the playoffs, but the Reggie Miller on display in this series looks little like the one who has gained a reputation for putting teams away in the playoffs.

GAME 4 STRUGGLE

In Game 4, Miller was held without a field goal for just the second time in his 123 career playoff games. In Game 3, he was held to four points and attempted two field goals. But somewhere inside, the vintage Miller is still kicking, evidenced by his 19 points in 18 minutes during Indiana's Game 2 victory.

``I have to be more aggressive on the offensive end, look to be aggressive coming off screens as well as pick-and-rolls, and look for my offense like I did in Games 1 and 2.

''This is for all the marbles. You're trying to win a championship,'' he said. ``. . . I think that's what makes playoff basketball great.''

No, what really makes playoff basketball great are great playoff performers -- like Miller.

''That dude is a killer,'' Allen said. ``There's a lot of great shooters out there, but the type of shots he makes, and the time and fashion that he makes them, it says he's a big-time player.''

indygeezer
05-15-2004, 11:05 AM
We are not going to be intimidated by it," Van Gundy said. "You are concerned when a guy like Ron Artest has made two pretty blatant efforts, one in each game, to hurt Dwyane [Wade]. I'm concerned by that. I'm sure the league is concerned by that, but it's not going to make us play the game any differently."

SOUNDS LIKE PAT RILEY TALKING, if you ask me.

able
05-15-2004, 11:11 AM
We are not going to be intimidated by it," Van Gundy said. "You are concerned when a guy like Ron Artest has made two pretty blatant efforts, one in each game, to hurt Dwyane [Wade]. I'm concerned by that. I'm sure the league is concerned by that, but it's not going to make us play the game any differently."

He just made a 180 from nice guy to superb ******* extraordinair.

and one without a brain for that, IF we wanted to do that, we have bench fudder available to do that, give Polly some play time :D

Anthem
05-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Keep in mind, this wasn't just any three-pointer. This was a catch-and-turn-and-shoot-with-a-hand-in-your-face-straddling-the-sideline three-pointer from the corner -- the kind no one has any business making.

''He was nowhere near squared up when he shot that,'' Heat forward Malik Allen said. 'That was a crazy shot. I was saying, `Please, God, not us!'

''I thought it was going to be more Reggie Miller heroics,'' Alston said. ``He does that stuff just when you think you've taken them out of the game. I was ready to put my head down. I knew if he hit that, he was going to hit more.''

:laugh:

ROCislandWarrior
05-15-2004, 12:35 PM

and one without a brain for that, IF we wanted to do that, we have bench fudder available to do that, give Polly some play time :D

Isn't it funny what a few wins can do to people.

I bet if we blow them out tonight he goes back to "oh, the pacers are so good, Ron is unstopable...."

:unimpressed:

Unclebuck
05-15-2004, 12:40 PM
I know the flagrant foul, but what was the play in the other game where Artest tried to take Wade out. I don't remember

ROCislandWarrior
05-15-2004, 12:43 PM
I know the flagrant foul, but what was the play in the other game where Artest tried to take Wade out. I don't remember

I was wondering the same exact thing.

I have no idea :whoknows:

Hicks
05-15-2004, 01:44 PM
My respect for SVG has waned; when the **** did we ever try to hurt anybody? I can't think of one.

indytoad
05-15-2004, 01:59 PM

Oh it's not that bad. Rick was saying all the same kinds of things - and louder - when Hunter knocked JO down, and that was the same thing, probably even less severe.

IndyToad
There it is

able
05-15-2004, 02:12 PM

Oh it's not that bad. Rick was saying all the same kinds of things - and louder - when Hunter knocked JO down, and that was the same thing, probably even less severe.

IndyToad
There it is

Artest : average 38 minutes per game
Hunter: average 4 minutes once every 4 games

really wanna compare ? why'd ya think i mention polly.

a brain is a wonderfull thing, if used

indytoad
05-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Artest : average 38 minutes per game
Hunter: average 4 minutes once every 4 games

really wanna compare ? why'd ya think i mention polly.

a brain is a wonderfull thing, if used

Well who we'd use is not as important as the accusation itself. If Stan is an ******* for accusing Artest of trying to take Wade out of the game, why is Rick not an ******* for accusing Hunter of trying to take JO out of the game?

IndyToad
I think I used that one already

Diamond Dave
05-15-2004, 02:25 PM
I guess I'm glad they still respect Reggie though if he is just gonna be Dale Ellis and only shoot threes then they shouldn't. I believe Peck said it earlier that he would be helpful if he didn't wait for the crushing three but rather provided us with some driving floaters, or layups, or just getting fouled in the act of shooting.

If he plays like this he becomes easier to guard than Oliver Miller. I mean its hard to shoot jump shots with man six inches from you which is how close Reggie's defender can get as there is no fear that he gonna go around you.

I am really hoping reg plays his old self tonight and not like his "self" is old.

Unclebuck
05-15-2004, 03:01 PM
If Artest really wanted to hurt somebody, he could really hurt somebody. He is so strong

Hicks
05-15-2004, 03:31 PM
If Artest really wanted to hurt somebody, he could really hurt somebody. He is so strong

Exactly. If we ever sent Ron in to hurt someone to take them out, they'd be out for at minimum 2 games.

Toad, the difference between SVG and RC is that I'm 100% positive we weren't trying to hurt anyone, but I can't say the same for that Hunter punk. And if not trying to hurt, then just to stir **** up; which even that we do not do.

Doug
05-15-2004, 03:33 PM

That's what I was going to say. If Artest was trying to hurt Wade, Wade would be hurt. No ifs ands or buts about it.

And SVG can bite me for even suggesting such a thing.