PDA

View Full Version : A question now, before Game 5....

Peck
05-15-2004, 09:49 AM
How will the fieldhouse be tonight, crowd wise?

I have a theory on this & feel free to let me know if you disagree.

I think the fans will come out on fire. Loud & Proud, so to speak.

If the game is close & the team competes, the fans will stay with them the entire way. Win the game & the fans will cheer long & hard.

However if the Pacers give a lackidasical effort & lose to the Heat then by about the 4 min. mark of the 4th quarter I think you will see a viscious turn by the fans. It will be so bad that O'Neal & other players will openly complain about the fans.

I know this may sound stupid but I think a lot is riding on tonights game, more than just the series record. I think that the fans are just now starting to beleive & are really soft in their support.

One bad game & this could turn ugly, fast.

Unclebuck
05-15-2004, 09:57 AM
The game that sticks out in my mind was game #5 of the eastern conference Finals against the Knicks in 2000. Pacers started the game off bad, the Knicks were on fire, Knicks had a 17 or 18 point lead in the first quarter, Pacers played a second quarter and pacers I believe had a 1 point lead at halftime.

What does that have to do with your question, nothing except to say the fans need to be with the team tonight until the end through good and bad play. Now is not the time for protest. Fans have a large effect on a playoff game and if the pacers come ot a little tight or too pumped up and fall behind early (I could see that happening), it is more important than ever for the fans to stay in it. Sure it is easy to be loud when the pacers pull off to a 13-4 lead.

Peck to answer your question, the fans will be louder than they have been since the 2000 Finals, but there will be some nervous time from the fans during the game,

Hicks
05-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Speaking as a member of tonight's croud, I will be loud and supportive.

However, I have to admit that if we come out with a ****-poor effort and lose, I may consider booing at the end of the game. Because not giving effort now is just inexcusable, and will convince me that this team may never go anywhere.

But that's IF it happens; I expect to win by double digits and the crowd to enjoy it. :)

Unclebuck
05-15-2004, 10:37 AM
This is one of my pet peeves and I don't mean to pick on you Hicks.

But I guarantee the Pacers won't come out with a poor effort tonight. They may have a poor performance. Will you boo that.

Sure if someone does not hustle, or even if they make a lot of mental mistakes, that is one thing, but if someone misses a few shots, or makes physical mistakes, that is not because a lack of effort.

So many times I think fans confuse a poor effort and a poor performance

ChicagoJ
05-15-2004, 11:30 AM
So many times I think fans confuse a poor effort and a poor performance

And there's been a lot of that on here this week. :rolleyes:

Grant
05-15-2004, 11:43 AM
I know this may sound stupid but I think a lot is riding on tonights game, more than just the series record. I think that the fans are just now starting to beleive & are really soft in their support.

That sounds very accurate to me. A lot is riding on this game/series.

The Pacers are either going to take a step forward in these playoffs or they are going to stay where they've been for the past three years. I know they got past the first round, but in my book that doesn't mean squat (especially against the Celtics).

I honestly believe that if the Pacers don't get past the Heat, there is going to be a bit of a shakeup (read: one of our forwards will be traded).

Yeah this game is important and the series more so. If the Pacers lose this series and win 70 games next year, the fans will yawn until they get to the finals.

I'll call my shot though - Pacers in 6/strong fan support tonight/No changes in the offseason.

Anthem
05-15-2004, 12:00 PM
I'll call my shot though - Pacers in 6/strong fan support tonight/No changes in the offseason.

I hope not. This team won't win 61 games next year... all of the teams around us are getting better.

ROCislandWarrior
05-15-2004, 12:26 PM
I hope some of the players watched the NJ-DET game last night. Both of those teams were playing playoff basketball.

I also hope alot of the fans going to tonights game were watching it. Did anyone pay attention to the crowd, lets just say that Detroit didn't lose because of a lack of fan support.

Go Pacers! :dance:

Roaming Gnome
05-15-2004, 01:36 PM
I nearly had to roll pennies to get my ticket for tonights game, but there is no way that I was going to miss it. I agree with Peck that the fans will be very supportive, but if for some reason the Pacers are not playing a good game, or even playing good but just behind...I think there are enough fans that feel that this series was suppose to be just like the Boston series and vent their disapointment by booing. I wouldn't do that, but...The expectations for this team by the team, local and national media was AT LEAST, the East Finals.

Diamond Dave
05-15-2004, 01:58 PM
As far as the crowd is concerned I imagine no one can really say how the respond tonight as this entire playoffs has been filled with one sided home victories. The only home game that were in jeoparody were game 2 with Boston and with Miami as well but both were easily in hand by the 4th quarter.

Still I'll be willing to bet if the pacers play D like they did in Miami that the crowd will turn real sour real fast. You know the kind of defense that makes us appear helpless and that we can't compete. Not saying that we are but when we are flying past people and committing late fouls on every drive, helpless, is how the pacers appear. Most importantly it gives off an image of laziness and not hustling. And Indiana crowds have always loved good hustle, its the reason players like Antonio, Haywoode, Dale, Jeff, and Austin are crowd favorites.

So if basically compete and win = crowd cheers
compete and lose= crowd cheers
look helpless= crowd turns vicious and the pacers have only die hard yet also small fan base for many seasons to come barring drastic change.

By the way this is my first post I'm glad to have found such a well informed and intelligent message board. Its nice to see they exsist :o . I hope to stick around and discuss some good basketball. :)

Hicks
05-15-2004, 02:05 PM
:welcome:

Tim
05-15-2004, 02:25 PM
I think the key is the players came out strong and Rick throws something at the Heat to throw these young kids off in the first half.

I don't know what that will be, but somehow they must be thrown off track. No matter what the Heat will play hard until the end, they believe in it and they think they have two chances to beat us at home.

I am more concerned about the Pacers confidence than the Heat. Our bench, from Al to Austin, must be a force again.

ROCislandWarrior
05-15-2004, 03:30 PM
I think the key is the players came out strong and Rick throws something at the Heat to throw these young kids off in the first half.

I don't know what that will be, but somehow they must be thrown off track. No matter what the Heat will play hard until the end, they believe in it and they think they have two chances to beat us at home.

I am more concerned about the Pacers confidence than the Heat. Our bench, from Al to Austin, must be a force again.

I do not expect the Pacers to come out and do anything different. I expect them to play better defense (keep their man infront more) and go down low to JO plus give Ron his touches.

Ofcourse the bench will play better and Reg will too (I hope)

i would be very surprised if Rick had the team playing different

Jose Slaughter
05-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Agreed

The Miami starters should keep it close until late in the first quarter when the subs start coming off the bench.

Late in the first & early in the second the Pacers bench will up the lead that I hope we build on the remainder of the game.

As for Pecks question.

As long as the effort is there the fan support will remain. If it looks like the are throwing in the towel, even late in the 4th then it could get nasty.

The thing is I don't see a Carlise coached team doing that. If it looks like someone is hanging their head then he'll be on the bench watching whoever wants to play.

ROCislandWarrior
05-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Yep, the game pretty much went as planned. Miami hung tough and then faltered in the second half.

And Conseco was amazing (No, I wasn't at the game but I have surround sound :laugh: )

Hicks
05-16-2004, 12:58 AM
And Conseco was amazing (No, I wasn't at the game but I have surround sound :laugh: )

You're welcome. :happydance: :pimp: