View Full Version : Sportscaster fired for aiding video

Will Galen
05-15-2004, 04:47 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/146825-3708-179.html

Sportscaster fired for aiding video

By Jeff Rabjohns
jeff.rabjohns@indystar.com
May 15, 2004

A sportscaster for WXIN-59 was fired Friday for his role in helping the Miami Heat gain access to Indianapolis sports locations for shots of pro-Heat signs used in a video during Game 3 of the Indiana Pacers-Heat playoff series at Miami's AmericanAirlines Arena.

Dave Benz, of the Fox television affiliate in Indianapolis, helped Heat TV get access to the Indianapolis Colts' locker room for video of running back Edgerrin James holding up a "Go, Heat" sign. The clip was part of video the Heat showed on their arena board at Monday's game.

Dave Benz
Benz was placed on indefinite suspension Wednesday and fired Friday.

"As a leading news organization in Central Indiana, we hold our employees to the highest standards of conduct," said Rick Rogala, vice president and general manager of WXIN and WTTV-4. "Credibility is what our viewers expect from us. When that trust is breached, a response must be fair, timely and in the best interest of restoring that trust."

Benz, who previously worked in Miami, said he felt the dismissal was excessive and that he was duped by Heat TV.

"In reality I was doing something that happens every day in our industry. I worked out a video trade with a former colleague, but was not aware of the full scope of the project," he said.

"I was told they were putting together a piece showing that the Heat are popular around the country, and they wanted some shots around here. I didn't know they were trying to punk the city. I thought it was a good-natured thing, and in return, we would be getting some video and extra access to players, and maybe I'd be an in-studio guest, depending on how things worked out."

Benz has worked on pregame and postgame shows for Pacers broadcasts on WTTV-4 and did the same for some Heat games when he worked in Miami.

He said he didn't trick James, who played at the University of Miami, into holding up the Heat signs.

"I asked him, 'Hey, do you want to do this?' And he said, 'Yeah.' It wasn't like I did anything sneaky with him," Benz said.

The firing leaves WXIN with one sportscaster, Chris Hagan.

The skits shown in Game 3 also included shots of members of the Pacers dance team, the Pacemates, holding up a pro-Heat sign. The Pacers said Friday that none of the Pacemates would be dismissed from the squad.

"We've moved on," Pacers spokesman David Benner said.

Unclebuck
05-15-2004, 09:35 AM
I don't really have an opinion on this.

MSA2CF
05-15-2004, 09:36 AM

:laugh: Then why post an answer? :laugh:

indygeezer
05-15-2004, 09:44 AM
IMO, FWIW....justified. He may be son of the team owner(hyperbole) I don't care...he has a duty to the "fans" that watch his telecast to support his "home" team. Knock em, condemn lousy play, even criticize their choice in fast food...but you don't help the opposition in a media gig. What did he think they would do with them? Use them in a travel documentary about Indianapolis? Get real.

I also hope the Colts have a few messages out there for Edge...

it won't happen but I loved the suggestion about getting the REAL Letterman to do a spot FOR Indy.

owl
05-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Frankly, it might not be a bad idea to show all that garbage on the
big screen tonight to get the crowd riled up and even more behind the
Pacers.

owl

owl
05-15-2004, 10:15 AM
I think the firing was just. Do you think any of the local teams would have
anything to do with this guy in the future? He broke a trust.

owl

ChicagoJ
05-15-2004, 11:49 AM
I think the firing was just. Do you think any of the local teams would have
anything to do with this guy in the future? He broke a trust.

owl

Yeah, but it would be even more "just" to let him keep his job and force him to deal with the consequences. He has no idea how severely he broke the trust, and he'll land on his feet somewhere else nearly unscathed.

I'd prefer he have to chase JO around for two more years and always get the response of, "I'm not talking to you" everytime he'd ask a question.

But hey, I can be mean sometimes.

Reggie4Three
05-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Screw Edge. I've thought that ever since he blew out his knee, he's been no better than at least any of 10-15 other backs in the league anyway. Trade him to Tampa, bring in someone like Charlie Garner. The Colts get equal or better production and Edge most likely struggles in another offense. I really wouldn't have a problem with him cheering for the Heat. But to use his status as a Colts player to help make the Pacers and Indy look bad really sets me off.

As far as the firing goes, WXIN can do as it feels. This guy helped make both the Colts and Pacers look bad to their Indy fan base. Knowing many of the Colts are Pacer fans (Dungy and Manning just as 2 examples), they also can't be happy about this. As a fan, I would probably quit watching WXIN sports. If I were a Pacer, I would definetely have little use for him. If I were with the Colts, and my first name wasn't Edgerrin, I'd also think twice before dealing with him. In short, his actions violated the conduct standards of his job, making for potential issues in the future. If WXIN felt like they'd be better off with someone else, I can't fault them.

Kegboy
05-15-2004, 04:25 PM

Ditto. I'm just :shrug:.

I'm much more concerned with what the Pacemates did. I need to see the video, so I know whom not to waste valuable binocular time on. :devil:

PaceBalls
05-15-2004, 05:40 PM
since this could turn into a edge bash, I wanna throw in a jab.

edge sucks
he is one of the worst 1st string runningbacks in the league, and he gets paid like he is the best. BOOOOOOO ON YOU EDGE. Think how good the colts would have been with a real star running back not a overpaid hasbeen.

ok done, back to this guy. He says he was duped by heat tv then goes on to explain how he asked edge to hold up a pro heat sign. I mean really its all silly, but so is being a sportscaster, and the viewers of course expect them to be fans.

JOneal7
05-15-2004, 07:04 PM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/146825-3708-179.html

Sportscaster fired for aiding video

By Jeff Rabjohns
jeff.rabjohns@indystar.com
May 15, 2004

A sportscaster for WXIN-59 was fired Friday for his role in helping the Miami Heat gain access to Indianapolis sports locations for shots of pro-Heat signs used in a video during Game 3 of the Indiana Pacers-Heat playoff series at Miami's AmericanAirlines Arena.

Dave Benz, of the Fox television affiliate in Indianapolis, helped Heat TV get access to the Indianapolis Colts' locker room for video of running back Edgerrin James holding up a "Go, Heat" sign. The clip was part of video the Heat showed on their arena board at Monday's game.

Dave Benz
Benz was placed on indefinite suspension Wednesday and fired Friday.

"As a leading news organization in Central Indiana, we hold our employees to the highest standards of conduct," said Rick Rogala, vice president and general manager of WXIN and WTTV-4. "Credibility is what our viewers expect from us. When that trust is breached, a response must be fair, timely and in the best interest of restoring that trust."

Benz, who previously worked in Miami, said he felt the dismissal was excessive and that he was duped by Heat TV.

"In reality I was doing something that happens every day in our industry. I worked out a video trade with a former colleague, but was not aware of the full scope of the project," he said.

"I was told they were putting together a piece showing that the Heat are popular around the country, and they wanted some shots around here. I didn't know they were trying to punk the city. I thought it was a good-natured thing, and in return, we would be getting some video and extra access to players, and maybe I'd be an in-studio guest, depending on how things worked out."

Benz has worked on pregame and postgame shows for Pacers broadcasts on WTTV-4 and did the same for some Heat games when he worked in Miami.

He said he didn't trick James, who played at the University of Miami, into holding up the Heat signs.

"I asked him, 'Hey, do you want to do this?' And he said, 'Yeah.' It wasn't like I did anything sneaky with him," Benz said.

The firing leaves WXIN with one sportscaster, Chris Hagan.

The skits shown in Game 3 also included shots of members of the Pacers dance team, the Pacemates, holding up a pro-Heat sign. The Pacers said Friday that none of the Pacemates would be dismissed from the squad.

"We've moved on," Pacers spokesman David Benner said.

WTF!? so it wasnt digitally done!? Cause even the pacemates were holding that same sign! WTF? so they didn't digitally do it? why wouldthe pacemates hold a go heat sign as well! weird...

indygeezer
05-15-2004, 07:27 PM
....and maybe I'd be an in-studio guest..."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Motive leads to conviction. Sorry but to me he was in it for the pub, whether he knew it or not. As David Benner once said, after a heated debate about Knight..."it's all about the pub (blicity) " IOW...get your name out there at all costs, just for the recognition. Recognition leads to readership (viewrship...listenership) so good or bad, it's all good.

Hoop
05-15-2004, 11:19 PM
IMO any Pacermate that was involved in this fiasco should have her b*tch @ss fired. :mad:

JOneal7
05-15-2004, 11:22 PM
well then all of them. Because it was a group photo and they where smiling.
And some gym and places where trophys where and everything. They had one above the entrance to the pacer locker room.
it was sickening..im just like how the heck?

Roaming Gnome
05-16-2004, 12:23 AM
The firing was just! Fox-59 has been struggling for credibility in their news department in Indy since I have been here. Dave Benz used his status at Fox to gain access to these areas to punk the home team and anger potential viewers. For Fox, why keep a guy that destroys your credibility with such a stunt. We all know news is about credibility and professionalism.