PDA

View Full Version : The Pistons are FINISHED

Shade
05-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Their chances of winning Game 6 in NJ are about as good as the Spurs' chances of taking Game 6 in LA.

My gut is now 2-0. Be afraid, guys...be VERY afraid. :(

Hicks
05-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Your gut has also been predicting the results involving teams that actually have a snowball's chance in hell of winning on the road, too. I will be SHOCKED if Miami is as hot in Conseco as they were in Miami.

Southside_Pacer
05-14-2004, 11:18 PM
They're always hot, they're the Heat. :laugh: ;) :confused: :unimpressed: :devil:

TheSauceMaster
05-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Yeah let's just cancel all the series that go 3-2 and give them to the Team that is up 3 games ..no sense in making a team have to win a 4th game :unimpressed:

Kstat
05-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Their chances of winning Game 6 in NJ are about as good as the Spurs' chances of taking Game 6 in LA.

You'll be eating those words in 6 days.

zxc
05-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Yeah I don't think it is even comparable really. Not like our games 3 and 4 were anything like the other series. Miami is not LA or even NJ. Pacers haven't lost three in a row all year long.. kind of hard to believe the first time would be a big game 5 like this.

Shade
05-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Your gut has also been predicting the results involving teams that actually have a snowball's chance in hell of winning on the road, too. I will be SHOCKED if Miami is as hot in Conseco as they were in Miami.

I didn't see anyone else picking the Lakers and Nets to win their Game 5's.

Reggie4Three
05-14-2004, 11:25 PM

Considering you didn't give the Nets much of a chance to win more than one game, you'll forgive us if they go ahead and play the game anyway.

Ragnar
05-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Still Kstat you have to admit that game was a killer. The Pistons needed that game bad. The monentum is greatly in favor of NJ right now. What a game that was the game of the year so far. I feel sorry for the people who missed it.

Anthem
05-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Yeah, the Pistons are finished. Just like the Pacers, right? :devil:

Shade
05-14-2004, 11:27 PM

Quite possibly, yeah. :(

PaceBalls
05-14-2004, 11:28 PM
If the Pistons end up losing this series after dominating the first two games, it's gonna be really depressing for their overzealous overconfident fans lol.

Sheed aint coming back if they lose, and no one else, who isnt desperate, wants to move to that godforsaken, smutfilled, noxious fume having, frozen tundra of a city. This is their one shot at makin it happen.

While the Pacers are in the same boat facing dissapointment, at least they will have their core team around for the next 5+ years should they go out in the 2nd round (which some of you fairweather fans already seem to think will happen)

SkipperZ
05-14-2004, 11:30 PM
I dont see why everyone is thinking this series and the spurs lakers series is over.

If Detroit wins game 6, which is possible, then who would you bet your money on in game 7? I bet a lot of you would put their money on detroit. same goes for the lakers spurs seris, and same goes to the pacers if they happen to lose to miami tomorrow (which they wont).

teams come bACK FROM 3-2 all the time, and the most important part of both series is that the spurs and the pistons have game 7 at home.

BTW gotta love kstat for having confidence in his team... from calling the sweep, to tied 2-2 to losing game 5, he never believes his team is gonna lose. i know if the pacers lose tomorrow (again which they wont) a lot of people here are gonna concede the series to the heat.

Aw Heck
05-14-2004, 11:31 PM

I'm sorry to have to rub this in, but I feel like I have to.

NJ blew out the Pistons in game 3 and 4. Then they beat the Pistons in triple overtime, with NO big men left (unless you consider Scalabrine a big man), meanwhile Detroit has Okur, Campbell, Darko, and Corliss available, yet LB doesn't play them-- all of this on Detroit's home floor.

What makes you think that Larry Brown, a coach who didn't take advantage of an obvious situation by not putting Okur, Campbell, Darko or Williamson in, will make such a big adjustment that would allow the Pistons to win two in a row against a team that has blown them out twice on their home floor?

I'm sorry, I just had to rub it in. I tell you what, if the Pacers lose tomorrow, feel free to rub it into my face. In fact, I encourage you to.

PaceBalls
05-14-2004, 11:33 PM
Yup me and kstat are the same like that, we never give up on our team. I'm still amazed some of you have given up on the Pacers when they are tied 2-2 /boggle

ABADays
05-14-2004, 11:34 PM
This loss, by either team, would be EXTREMELY hard to come back from no matter where the next game was played. This was a tough, tough game to lose.

I disagree that it was a Classic. The reason it went as long as it did was because of very poor free throw shooting and some really dumb plays.

Hicks
05-14-2004, 11:35 PM

And what are you gonna do here in 6 days if Detroit's not playing anymore?

Hicks
05-14-2004, 11:36 PM

That didn't mean they did not have a much better chance to win on the road than Miami. Again, Miami has NEVER beaten a winning team on the road this season. Nor have we EVER lost 3 in a row. And each time we lost 2 in a row, we looked like we did here, bad, out of synch. We always come back to get our heads on straight.

Suaveness
05-14-2004, 11:37 PM
That really makes me wonder....why the hell did he not play Okur? :confused:

Shade
05-14-2004, 11:38 PM

That didn't mean they did not have a much better chance to win on the road than Miami. Again, Miami has NEVER beaten a winning team on the road this season. Nor have we EVER lost 3 in a row. And each time we lost 2 in a row, we looked like we did here, bad, out of synch. We always come back to get our heads on straight.

We'll see. I certainly hope you're right.

Anthem
05-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Sheed aint coming back if they lose, and no one else, who isnt desperate, wants to move to that godforsaken, smutfilled, noxious fume having, frozen tundra of a city. This is their one shot at makin it happen.

Actually, I'd rather they keep Sheed. Cause they can't keep both Sheed and Okur. Sheed's a nice player, but Okur has Bender-like potential. :laugh:

Here's hoping Sheed stays in Detroit!

Millerartest
05-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Maybe it's easier when you're not a fan, but there's something magical about that Pistons team. The way they kept fighting back was extraordinary. I think they'll take the next two games because they have the heart of a champion.

Also, with all this three in a row hoopla, remember when Reggie upset the Knicks in game 5 to win three in a row for the Pacers? The Pacers were so close that year, and had two chances, but couldn't capitalize on either. Three in a row means nothing if you're playing against a team with championship mentality.

Unclebuck
05-14-2004, 11:51 PM
I feel for you Kstat. Tough loss. When the Pacers have really tough losses like this it is worse the day after. I certainly won't rub it in because I know how you feel.

It was a classic game a game that will be seen for years, although that might make it worse

When the Pacers lost to the Nets in game 5 in the 2002 playoffs, the game was so great that I was not that upset until the next day.

PaceBalls
05-14-2004, 11:57 PM
one of the best ever, the only thing was it was so deflating at the end, waves of dissapointment from the 20,000 fans. Like MJ winning the championship in Utah.

Will Galen
05-15-2004, 12:01 AM
History is on the Nets' side.

Out of 115 best-of-seven series that have been tied at 2, the winner of Game 5 has advanced 96 times (83 percent).

Reggie4Three
05-15-2004, 12:02 AM
This just goes to show that NOBODY can come on here and say exactly what is going to happen. It is completely moronic to proclaim a series over before you've even won a game on the road. This applies to Pistons and Pacers fans alike.

PaceBalls
05-15-2004, 12:06 AM
I dunno about history, I don't think past nets teams or past pistons teams has jack to do with this series. These teams are so evenly matched, they could play 101 games and the series would be 50-51.

Very exciting basketball!

wintermute
05-15-2004, 12:15 AM
History is on the Nets' side.

Out of 115 best-of-seven series that have been tied at 2, the winner of Game 5 has advanced 96 times (83 percent).

ahh. but isn't there some historical trend also that the team that goes up 2-0 wins i-forgot-some-large-percentage of the time? in that case, history favors the pistons too :P spurs too, i might add.

in any case, i'll believe the pistons are done when the buzzer sounds on the nets' next victory, and not before.

ABADays
05-15-2004, 12:53 AM
How can you guys believe it was a Classic? There were lapses all over the place at crunch time!

Kstat
05-15-2004, 01:11 AM

root heavily for my 2nd favorite team..... :pacers:

and root against my 30th (tied) favorite teams.... :nets: and :lakers:

If they meet in the finals I will not watch. Not because I cant stand either team, but because I still have nightmares from 2002. They may as well not even play the games.

Hoop
05-15-2004, 01:14 AM

If they meet in the finals I will not watch. Not because I cant stand either team, but because I still have nightmares from 2002. They may as well not even play the games.

You might not be a bad guy after all. :devil: :hug:

kerosene
05-15-2004, 01:26 AM
The Pistons have a wild card by the name of Larry Brown. They'll be ready to play in New Jersey.

Hoop
05-15-2004, 01:47 AM
The Pistons have a wild card by the name of Larry Brown. They'll be ready to play in New Jersey.

Yeh, but he ain't no Lawrence Frank. :devil:

kerosene
05-15-2004, 02:20 AM
Yeh, but he ain't no Lawrence Frank. :devil:

Frank is going to be stuck with the stigma that the team was doing everything like Scott was. People are saying "How hard is it call a timeout at the right time and use a rotation when guys are foul trouble". Maybe it's true, I don't know. I think he's handled things well but it's still been a honeymoon period of sorts for him.

Tim
05-15-2004, 03:12 AM
NJ really worked hard trying to LOSE that game but the Pistons would not allow it.

I do not want to take on NJ, they are worse than Miami because they have been around the block a couple of times.

Why the heck could Detroit take care of business against a team with half their players on the bench in foul trouble?

That game was so long I had to go to work before the final OT, I thought for sure Detroit would take it, given the way the Nets kept handing them the game.

Our boys better come out on defensive fire tommorrow, I don't want a repeat of the Pistons/Nets game.

owl
05-15-2004, 10:29 AM
teams come bACK FROM 3-2 all the time, and the most important part of both series is that the spurs and the pistons have game 7 at home.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Will beat me to this. How wierd would a Heat vs Nets finals be. And even
wierder would be the Heat in the finals :o . I would watch that finals.
If the Nets go again, just change their name to the Utah Jazz. ;)

owl

ROCislandWarrior
05-15-2004, 12:45 PM

You might not be a bad guy after all. :devil: :hug:

Like I told Kstat before, if the Pacers go out and the Pistons are still playing, I will root for them :blush:

Cactus Jax
05-15-2004, 01:16 PM
teams come bACK FROM 3-2 all the time....
owl

:confused:

Name two or three then?[/quote]

Knicks in 94 vs the Pacers :mad:, Lakers vs Kings 2002 :mad:.

canyoufeelit
05-15-2004, 01:33 PM
the crazy thing about that game was that Billups was about an inch away from sending that game into Quadruple overtime. hell, the game could still be going on right now :laugh:

bulletproof
05-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Man that was pretty good.

I will let everyone here assume you knew those off the top of your head and move on to DOING THE MATH...shall we then?

16 teams a year in the playoffs.

You provideda time it happened ten years ago and once it happened a couple of years ago.

10 times 16 is 160 teams.

2 times of the POSSIBLE 160 teams over the last ten years a team has been able to come back from 3 games to 2 to win a 7 game series.

THAT OF COURSE IS A PATENTLY UNFAIR WAY OF CALCULATING THE RATIO because frankly many series are not extended to more than 4 and 5 games.

A better way (at least to make owl's absurd assertions sound less preposterous) would be to only alculate the times a series went 7 games and then show THE MANY TIMES (lmao) a team has come back from being down 3 games to 2.

I am bored with helping others defned their inaane statements.

Somebody else do it.....

Or better yet back that stuff up when you post it.

Just a suggestion.

:rolleyes:

He made an off-handed remark. So what?

Do a little research yourself and what do you find? Since 1970, teams have come back from a 3-2 deficit 15 times, and 4 times in the last 4 years. Is that "all the time?" Of course not, but it happens enough where you might forgive someone for making that statement. :rolleyes:

1970 LA over Phoenix

1975 Golden State over Chicago

1976 Phoenix over Golden State

1978 Washington over Seattle (finals)

1979 Seattle over Phoenix

1981 Boston over Philadelphia

1988 Boston over Atlanta; LA over Detroit

1994 NY over Indiana

1995 Houston over Phoenix

1997 Miami over NY

2000 NY over Miami

2001 Milwaukee over Charlotte

2002 LA over Sacramento

2003 Detroit over Orlando

PaceBalls
05-15-2004, 03:10 PM
I don't know how you could NOT say that game was an instant classic. Of course, I didn't start watching until about the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter. But from then on that was some AWESOME basketball!!

The RJ block then the halfcourt shot by billups? just a great finish.

Kegboy
05-15-2004, 04:50 PM

Quite possibly, yeah. :(

Reading Shade's posts the last couple days, does anyone else think of Airplane? In particular, the scene where the woman gets hysterical and starts screaming, so someone grabs her, slaps her, and tells her to snap out of it, then passes her off to someone else, and so on, and we see a line of passengers with bats, pipes, guns, nooses, etc...

Anyone?

Maybe it's just me. :D