PDA

View Full Version : Update on McGrady

Unclebuck
05-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Peter Vescey's column, Nothing earth shattering her, but since the Pacers were rumored a week ago as a possible suitor, though I would post this.

Sad to hear abouit Cotton Fitzsimmons, he was always one of my favorites

http://nypost.com/sports/16974.htm

WITHOUT A TRACY

May 14, 2004 -- LOS ANGELES - For some reason, team executives expect Tracy McGrady to notify Magic management within the week of his plans regarding the escape clause in his contract. My source maintains he won't divulge his decision until after The Finals.
But I'm here today to tell you McGrady positively plans to opt out at the end of next season. "That's a fair assumption," allows the same source. Meaning, the bidding for his hallowed services is about to commence. As soon as Magic management is convinced its solitary treasure is prepared to abscond next July, and the danger of losing him without compensation is as real as it gets, Orlando operators will be standing by to inventory all gracious offers.

In fact, management already is being deluged with calls from other teams. The media, of course, already is throwing out unconfirmed proposals. One such report has the Suns ready to swap Olympian Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson and a No. 1 pick for McGrady.

"It's not anything close to that, I can assure you that," my source declares. "The Suns aren't willing to do any deal other than Marion straight up. Johnson is not and will not be included."

At this point, the trade stuff is moot, anyway. Naturally, just about every team in the league is expected to submit legit propositions, but, until McGrady specifies which team or teams he'd consider committing to long-term, we're all just wishing and guessing.

* LeBron James and Marion accepted Olympic invitations after Kenyon Martin and Elton Brand turned them down. Martin rejected the spot because he's in a contract year and is concerned about getting hurt, whereas Brand's body (coming off a stress fracture in his right foot) was forced to defer his dream to represent his country in Athens.

George Shinn is on course toward creating a major mistake. Instead of hiring a GM first and allowing him to choose a coach - the way the Raptors are doing - the Hornets owner is doing it butt backward like so many other mismanaged teams in the past; for instance, Jim Cleamons' days were numbered the second the Mavericks hired Don Nelson as his boss.

Having already identified Byron Scott as a leading candidate to replace Tim Floyd - whose lack of discipline was more responsible for his fast firing than his team's opening-round elimination - Shinn intends to interview Rudy Tomjanovich, Mike Fratello and Alvin Gentry.

* If you have the nerve, the key to raising one's desirability and leverage - and perhaps land the position, power, pay day and fantasy franchise of your choosing - is to rebuff advances from a team or two. Take John Hammond, for instance; last year he rebuked the Blazers' GM offer while last month he declined to interview for Toronto's top spot. A few weeks later, the Raptors, more eager than ever, are taking another run at him. If Hammond keeps playing hard to get pretty soon he'll be in line to succeed David Stern.

* When Lon Kruger was excused from the sidelines, Hawks management, mesmerized by Hubie Brown's success in Memphis, wanted to import Del Harris, 65, another accredited, ahem, mature teacher. Because the team was in the process of being sold, AOL's braintrust refused to make a significant financial commitment, thus promoted assistant Terry Stotts on the cheap.

Less than 11/2 seasons later, Atlanta's new owners are leaning heavily toward engaging Harris or a close facsimile - Nuggets assistant John MacLeod.

* Suns executive Cotton Fitzsimmons, one of the league's most cherished keepsakes and spunkiest competitors, is in mortal combat with lung cancer. The poor disease obviously picked a fight with the wrong person. . . .

It's unlikely Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik will walk the plank but it's still a possibility. From what I can gather, GM Kiki Vandeweghe is trying to determine whether his current coach can take the Nuggets to the next level, or do they need somebody more experienced to get better? Kiki better not fire the guy; it took me two years to learn how to spell and pronounce Bzdelik's name.

JOneal7
05-14-2004, 01:49 PM
just wanted to add that's nothing new about tmac. He has been saying he will since before this terrible season. Because he can get more money.
But i like the idea of him going to indiana :)! my 2 fav players on the same team?! Ahhhh!

wintermute
05-14-2004, 01:58 PM
shouldn't this be ot? :D

sorry ub, couldn't resist :P

Will Galen
05-14-2004, 02:12 PM
just wanted to add that's nothing new about tmac. He has been saying he will since before this terrible season. Because he can get more money.

He can't get more money, he already has a max contract with raises built in.

DisplacedKnick
05-14-2004, 02:31 PM

And if he opts out and becomes a true FA he'd actually be taking a pay cut - besides limiting his options.

Wanna be afraid? As in very afraid? If the Spurs don't exercise their option on Robert Horry they have enough space under the cap to sign him to a max deal.

Dunno about you guys but a team with Duncan, Parker, Ginobilli & T-Mac gives me the willies.

Shade
05-14-2004, 02:35 PM
C - Foster
PF - O'Neal
SF - Artest
SG - McGrady
PG - Tinsley

:drool:

ChicagoJ
05-14-2004, 03:02 PM

That's not foregone conclusion. His raises were capped at 12%. If BRI is growing at greater that 12% (and, on the record, I don't know that % but the "new" TV deal is heavily back-loaded so its somewhat likely that, by next summer, BRI will have had a CAGR of > 12% since McGrady signed his current deal) then a new max contract would be for more than he's scheduled to make.

Will Galen
05-14-2004, 03:14 PM

That's not foregone conclusion. His raises were capped at 12%. If BRI is growing at greater that 12% (and, on the record, I don't know that % but the "new" TV deal is heavily back-loaded so its somewhat likely that, by next summer, BRI will have had a CAGR of > 12% since McGrady signed his current deal) then a new max contract would be for more than he's scheduled to make.

Whats not a foregone conclusion? He can't get more money or the built in raises?

ChicagoJ
05-14-2004, 03:55 PM

Whats not a foregone conclusion? He can't get more money or the built in raises?

Sorry. As I know you know, the maximum raises are contractual stipulated by the CBA. (12% for players re-signing with their old team, and I believe T-Mac was a S-and-T where he officially re-signed with Toronto.) What's not a foregone conclusion is that a new max contract, which is based on a % of the previous season's BRI, would be more, less, or even the same as the those raises.

DisplacedKnick
05-14-2004, 04:07 PM

Sorry. As I know you know, the maximum raises are contractual stipulated by the CBA. (12% for players re-signing with their old team, and I believe T-Mac was a S-and-T where he officially re-signed with Toronto.) What's not a foregone conclusion is that a new max contract, which is based on a % of the previous season's BRI, would be more, less, or even the same as the those raises.

Well, nothing's set in stone but being as there's been a lot of press lately stating that the salary cap may very well be lower this year than last, I think it's pretty doubtful that he'll be able to start a new contract at over the 14.5 million he's due next year - it's much more likely to be something over 12 million.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2004, 04:40 PM

Well, nothing's set in stone but being as there's been a lot of press lately stating that the salary cap may very well be lower this year than last, I think it's pretty doubtful that he'll be able to start a new contract at over the 14.5 million he's due next year - it's much more likely to be something over 12 million.

True. But you've got to fast-forward one more year. And I'm not sure the general public (or even the basketball media) understands just how backloaded the current tv contract is. I don't recall exactly how that is used to calculate BRI each summer (previous season or next season) but the structure of the tv contract itself will eventually cause BRI, thus the salary cap and corresponding max contracts, to increase very, very quickly. I'm already way into the gray area of my confidentiality agreements, so I've got to stop.

I seriously doubt there would be any discussion of him opting out if he was truly going to have to sacrifice $2 million per year, compounded at 12% for seven years. Depending on your discount rate (since its contractual, I've assumed inflation), that would be an $18 million dollar mistake, before taxes of course.

Anthem
05-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Depending on whether or not Grant Hill is done, I'd consider trading Croshere, Pollard, Bender, Harrington and Jones for TMac and Hill. That would be like a new starting 5!

:laugh:

EDIT: I read this again and realized it wasn't clear. Grant Hill = Terrell Brandon.

Anthem
05-15-2004, 12:20 PM
EDIT: I read this again and realized it wasn't clear. Grant Hill = Terrell Brandon.

No discussion on this? January 16th will be two years that Grant Hill has been out... his contract will be taken over by insurance and he'll never count against the cap again.