PDA

View Full Version : Reggie deserves the blame...

naptownmenace
05-14-2004, 10:39 AM
I love Reggie Miller, I honestly do. But, I love all of the Pacers and I was a Pacer fan before Reggie and will be one after he hangs them up. That is why it is easy for me to point the blame at Reggie for the losses in games 2 and 3.

Granted, he's not the only reason the Pacers lost those two games. There is plenty of blame to share; Al's lack of defense and rebounding, missed free throws, poor team defense, Artest's 4-18 performance in game 3. However, Reggie should shoulder the blame and this is why:

1. Reggie is the veteran leader on this team. Sure he's not the team's best player, maybe not even the third best player, but he does have the most experience and savvy. He's still a captain on this team. In these last two games, he's failed to show up and contribute as a leader.

2. Reggie received plenty of praise for his game 2 heroics, so when he comes out and absolutely lays an egg - two games in a row - he most certainly deserves the blame.

3. Reggie's defense (along with Tinsley's) has been a weak link in the Pacers defensive scheme against Miami. Eddie Jones has been getting wide open looks the entire series but up until game 4 wasn't hitting them. You can't expect him to continue to miss them. I nearly puked when I saw his matador style defense of Lamar Odom in the 4th quarter. Game 4 was one of the worse defensive games in Reggie's entire career.

4. He continued to pass up good looks at the basket which made it tougher to get the ball into Jermaine in the post during the second half. The defense sagged off of him in the fourth to double JO and he still couldn't convert on the kick outs.

So why is it that when Reggie has a great game (game 2) he is showered with praise but when he goes 2-7 and provides a mere 7 points, 5 asts, and 1 reb in a total of 63 minutes it's Anthony Johnson or Harrington's fault? Teflon Reggie escapes judgement once more.

I expected Reggie to step up in the playoffs - heck if he could just provide 12 points a night the Pacers probably will walk to the Finals. If he continues this repeat of the Boston series (circa 2003), I doubt the Pacer will make it much farther.

ABADays
05-14-2004, 11:37 AM
I love Reggie too but was very disappointed in the past couple of games.

ROCislandWarrior
05-14-2004, 11:50 AM
I think Al is more to blame then Reggie. He has been "MIA" this whole series. The reason we won 61 games this year was not because of Reggie, more so it was because of Al who was our 3rd leading scorer, now he has vanished.

Will Galen
05-14-2004, 11:50 AM
I love Reggie too but was very disappointed in the past couple of games.

Look for Reggie to be shooting now. I think Reggie was passing up shots because he wants the other guys to do it. He's been complaining the team isn't sharp and I think it's his way of making them play harder.

The problem is he's palying with a two edged sword, because Miami has gained confidence.

Unclebuck
05-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I guess I just don't like approach of blaming an individual player for a loss. It is a team game and I believe whoever is on the court should perform.

3. Reggie's defense (along with Tinsley's) has been a weak link in the Pacers defensive scheme against Miami. Eddie Jones has been getting wide open looks the entire series but up until game 4 wasn't hitting them. You can't expect him to continue to miss them. I nearly puked when I saw his matador style defense of Lamar Odom in the 4th quarter. Game 4 was one of the worse defensive games in Reggie's entire career.

I disagree with this. Reggie has done a good job on Eddie. Reggie is the best on the team at following guys around screens, yes I am talking about defensively following guys. Now once Eddie gets the ball and if he tries to go one-on-one Reggie struggles then. But Eddie is pretty much a catch and shoot guy right now. There are times when Reggie's defense like on that play against Odom is bad.

I believe the Heat and Eddie Jones have done a great job defending Reg, he gets very few decent looks. he did get a couple late in game #4, but that is it.

Reggie has already played better than he did in the Celts series last season.

Roy Munson
05-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Look for Reggie to be shooting now. I think Reggie was passing up shots because he wants the other guys to do it. He's been complaining the team isn't sharp and I think it's his way of making them play harder.

The problem is he's palying with a two edged sword, because Miami has gained confidence.

That is one of the all-time apologists statements. Are you saying that He played two crappy games in a row, but He did it on purpose in order to make the other players on the team step up? Come On! Give me a break!

I contend that Miami is quietly ecstatic whenever they see Reggie on the floor because they know he can't guard anyone, and he's very easy for their players to guard. They've figured him out.

My opinion is that a big reason why the Pacers have looked so bad the past two games is because Freddie isn't on the floor enough. He's makes the Pacers a better perimeter defensive team, and if he's encouraged or given the green light to drive he can put pressure on Miami's defense which will lead to fatigue or fouls on Wade. That's what Indiana needs right now.

Will Galen
05-14-2004, 03:03 PM

That is one of the all-time apologists statements. Are you saying that He played two crappy games in a row, but He did it on purpose in order to make the other players on the team step up? Come On! Give me a break!

Why don't you give me a break and reread what I posted! You're not just reading between the lines you're writing between the lines!

Tom White
05-15-2004, 06:40 PM
I think Reggie was passing up shots because he wants the other guys to do it. He's been complaining the team isn't sharp and I think it's his way of making them play harder.

With all respect to Will, this sounds like just another in a long line of excuses for Reggie's poor play.

People have used the "he's deferring to his teammates" or "he's saving it for the play-offs" or the "he stretches the defense even when he doesn't score" junk so much that I could puke!

The fact is that Reggie RARELY brings his offense anymore, is not a worthy decoy on a regular basis, and is a poor defender. So often this season it felt like the Pacers were playing four-on-five when Reggie was on the floor. In addition, when was the last time he showed on the court leadership?

I, for one, am more than ready for the day Reggie takes a seat so that the Pacers can play an opponent five-on-five again.