PDA

View Full Version : Our foreign poster?

ABADays
01-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Just curious. I haven't seen some of our foreign posters lately. There were two guys from the Netherlands and the one who had the Pacer site from China. Did we lose them in our transition?

able
01-25-2004, 01:04 PM
LOL well since the site is now hosted in the UK :)

but i'm still here (chuckles)

bulletproof
01-25-2004, 01:50 PM
able, what made you a fan of the Pacers?

able
01-25-2004, 02:56 PM
hmmm lemme see........
Playing as a kid, going to a camp where they showed "highllight reels" ( uhh very early seventies, late sixties even), made it clear that the basketball in the US was (at that moment) from a different planet.
3 scores in 9 seconds to play, who could've thought of that!

man were those guys BIG (considering i was 5.2 aged 15 but then again, i was 6.0 aged 17 :P)

that got me interested in NBA/ABA somewhat, but news was hard to come by, then Smits went to college in the US and since he was Dutch as I am, some news appeared on him certainly in bball circuits, so you pay closer attention, then the draft, Pacers, followed them eversince and with my frst connection to the internet in 91-92 it got easier to get the news, first from friends in telnet sessions, then chat, then the pages appeared and ever since it was easier, then I moved to OK for a year or 2 so NBA tv was my "place of fun" , now in the UK since 2001 I'm listening in.

always been pretty much hooked on NBA, remember seeing Michael's first "last" game while on a business trip in Greece at 3 am in a bar, since the InterConti did not have the channel that was broadcasting it, got ripped for the drinks, got drunk and had 6 months of trouble with my cc, which they copied and signed off every month there for about $ 6 K after 6 months they finally lost their merchant account :)
Got most of my money back except for the night i was there, they added a 0 to the slip nad the copy was illegible, so instead of paying an outrages $ 320 for about 20 shots of tequilla i ended up paying $ 3200 but <shrug> you win some you loose some :) and after all i did get to see Michael's "last" game, who was i to know he would come back :P

seen P's play in Atlanta in 98 i think, seen the Bulls in their glory days in Chicago, always tried to catch a game when i was anywhere near an arena, but despite the full schedule it's hard to get to games when you're in town, they're always on the road it seems when you are in any town where there's a franchise :P

Never been to Indy, hope to change that this or the next year, depending on finance and time.

And why not when i was in OK ? blegh, to ar, to expensive to much work and a bad marriage :)

anyway, long time follower, P fan since the late 80's and still :)

ABADays
01-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Didn't you say you were in Tulsa at one time? Were you working here or going to school?

If you come to Indy, I'm certain you won't have a hard time finding a place to stay being the hospitable fans we are.

able
01-25-2004, 04:35 PM
LOL thanks for the invite, yes i lived in Tulsa OK for a couple of years

but was to busy setting up business there while still running the stuff here in the UK and to keep a bad marriage afloat that i had no time or got no time to go to Indy, which was a "doable" trip

skyfire
01-25-2004, 08:16 PM
you didn't lose me, but I havn't got around to putting my avatar back yet. i'll do that now..

ABADays
01-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Ahhhhhh - so there's one of them. Story in the IS about Hollick Lee. Our guy from China. He was at the game in DC. I remember him saying something about getting to that game. Too bad they played like they did for him. Hope he is still a Pacer fan.

Ragnar
01-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Wasnt China Pacer coming to D.C. and was going to attend the Pacer game? I remember a question about getting tickets to the Pacers Wizards game from chinapacer.

Oh man to come that far and finally get to see the Pacers play and to have them lay that kind of turd.

indygeezer
01-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Fron this Am's Indy Star article about Harrington:
+++++
Chinese fan makes trip

Sitting in his ninth-row seat at the MCI Center on Saturday, the Pacers' No. 1 fan in China was impressed.

"This is amazing," Holick Lee said.

Lee, 20, is on a 14-day vacation that will take him throughout the U.S. He took a train from New York to Washington on Saturday to catch the Pacers' game against the Wizards, purchasing a ticket as soon as the box office opened.

He became a fan during the Pacers' playoff runs of the mid-1990s. Lee, a college student, listens to nearly every radio broadcast via the Internet. There is a 13-hour time difference between his home in Guangzhou -- the third-largest city in China -- and Indianapolis, so most games start early in the morning for him.

+++++++++++++++