PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, David Stern

Shade
05-13-2004, 09:51 PM
It looks like everyone's favorite band of adulterers, bandwagoners, trash-talkers, elbow-throwers, floppers, cheap-shot artists, illiterate college graduates, whiners, and egomaniacs is going to win the championship AGAIN. In the meantime, all fans of the game of basketball (not the spectacle the NBA promotes) lose AGAIN. Congratulations on lining your pockets and further destroying the integrity of the once great game of basketball. :thumbsdown:

I hate this game. :puke:

efx
05-13-2004, 10:00 PM
So far:

Spurs: 15 ft's.
Lakers: 6 ft's.

Spurs: 10 fouls
Lakers: 14 fouls

Doesn't look lopsided to me. There is no conspiracy.
The lakers are just outperforming the spurs.

Shade
05-13-2004, 10:01 PM
So far:

Spurs: 15 ft's.
Lakers: 6 ft's.

Spurs: 10 fouls
Lakers: 14 fouls

Doesn't look lopsided to me. There is no conspiracy.
The lakers are just outperforming the spurs.

I didn't say that.

efx
05-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Ok, I see your point now. My apologies.

Shade
05-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Ok, I see your point now. My apologies.

My point is that the grinning idiot is getting exactly what he wants. Ever since he took over the NBA his focus has been on individuals over team and big markets over small. Money trumps all and he's helped to destroy the integrity of the game along the way.

Sorry about the mixed signals. I'm kind of combining my hatred of the Lakers with my hatred of David Stern in one post.

efx
05-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Not that I disagree with you but what did Stern do to favor teams like the Lakers? I'm actually just asking, not arguing with you.

Shade
05-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Not that I disagree with you but what did Stern do to favor teams like the Lakers? I'm actually just asking, not arguing with you.

Ah, I see you haven't been paying attention the last couple of decades. :P j/k :D

Seriously, though, just look at the way the big markets generally get benefits the small markets don't, in terms of rules enforcement in particular. There's some truth to EVERY conspiracy theory.

Arcadian
05-13-2004, 10:15 PM
So where is the truth in the US faked walking on the moon?

TheSauceMaster
05-13-2004, 10:17 PM
How many gunmen where on the grassy knoll that day ..I wanna know since you have all these answers :D

Shade
05-13-2004, 10:18 PM
How many gunmen where on the grassy knoll that day ..I wanna know since you have all these answers :D

I can confirm at least one. :D

Shade
05-13-2004, 10:19 PM
So where is the truth in the US faked walking on the moon?

Where's the proof it wasn't? :P

Roaming Gnome
05-14-2004, 01:19 AM
I know that it is popular to rip the way that David Stern has marketed the NBA since he took the reigns in the 80's, but if it were not for the way the league was marketed around the stars and his sweeping reform in the drug policies then....who knows if the NBA would have survived.

The league was on the verge of bancruptcy with most of the teams losing money.

Fan attendance and television ratings had dropped, causing corporate sponsorship to abandon their support to the point were games such as the play-offs and the Finals were viewed under tape delay.

Heavy drug use by it's players was eating at the public's perception of the league.

I know that Stern got help cleaning the league's image with the help of Larry Bird and Magic, but if the league was not savy enough to market these players...would anyone have cared who they were after college?

Here is an interesting tidbit I heard on the radio...

I found out the other day that one of the reasons that the Finals are in June instead of May is because in early May durring the 80's that was the time advertisers used TV ratings to determine their contracts with the networks. Thus, CBS basically told the NBA at the time, if you want to get your games off tape delay...get the Finals out of May. Shortly after, the league increased the number of teams making the play-offs to 16 teams and added a 5 game first round.